ARRAY(0xae25c51c)

Profile for Paul Durrant > Reviews

Content by Paul Durrant

Paul Durrant (Norwich, Norfolk)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Goodia 12W Square LED Ceiling Light Warm White
Goodia 12W Square LED Ceiling Light Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars A good value LED light, 13 Jun 2013
I am very pleased with it. The surround is aluminium with a white coating, the necessary (included) transformer can fit inside the light fitting. The only bad thing I can think to say about it is that if it was to be used as a wall-mounted (rather than ceiling mounted) light, it doesn't mount quite flush with the wall. Not a problem on the ceiling, of course.

I actually got this to replace the 2x9W fluorescent lights in a fitting where the choke had failed and a replacement wasn't readily available. With a little adjustment to the surround it fits nicely in place of the old lights, and is entirely hidden inside. As a 12W LED it provides more light than the old 2x9W fluorescent lights, but not so much more that it's a problem.

Testing it before fitting showed that it produced an even and non-glaring light (although too bright to look at directly for any length of time, of course).

It arrived in two weeks, one day before the minimum estimated arrival time, which is very good, considering it shipped from China.

The Eternity Brigade
The Eternity Brigade
Price: 3.12

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent story in a thoughtful Mil SF universe, 16 Feb 2013
I really enjoyed the Eternity Brigade, coming to it fresh in the ebook release (I hadn't come across it when it was released in paperback some years ago).
I was surprised to find that it was first published in 1980. It doesn't feel like an old novel.

Don't be put off by the dire cover of the Kindle version. It's surprisingly hard not to judge a book by its cover on Amazon, but that would be a big mistake in this case.

Jade Darcy and the Affair of Honor (The Rehumanization of Jade Darcy)
Jade Darcy and the Affair of Honor (The Rehumanization of Jade Darcy)
Price: 4.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SF/Adventure story, 16 Feb 2013
A really rather good SF story about a flawed but ethical hero. I liked it a lot. It was in my top 20% of books I read in 2012. I liked the characters in the story, and cared about what happened to them. I look forward to reading other books about Jade Darcy. The interstellar travel setup is also intriguing, and I hope we see more of that in future books.

PANASONIC Breadmaker Teflon coated paddle/Kneader - SD252 etc.
PANASONIC Breadmaker Teflon coated paddle/Kneader - SD252 etc.
Offered by SPARES-2-GO
Price: 11.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than original part, 26 Oct 2012
I've had my panasonic breadmaker for about three years. I've made at least one loaf of bread per day, so that's over 1,000 loaves.

I've had to replace the paddle twice.

The first time (unfortunately I can't find a receipt to tell me when) was with a panasonic original. The coating on both original blades slowly degraded, even though they were not damaged by any rough use. It seems that just the roughness of sliding from the baked bread is enough to very slowly damage the coating. Eventually, they stopped coming out so easily and even got stuck.

The second time, just over two months ago, I bought this replacement paddle. It is still working well and is almost unmarked. As far as I remember, it's in much better condition that the original two paddles were after the same time.

So far, I can and do highly recommend this replacement part. Better than the original.

The King's Buccaneer
The King's Buccaneer
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, but too many OCR errors for a full price ebook., 15 Oct 2012
I like the series and this book. This review is more about the quality of the ebook.

There are too many errors for the professional quality full-price ebook.

clintele for clientele
Drondorian for Krondorian
Ufe for life
failing for falling
certin for certain
Fulgan for Kulgan
finen for linen
Several missing open quotes at the start of paragraphs
some hyphens instead of em-dashes (elsewhere em-dashes are used correctly)

And that's just the first eight chapters. I haven't checked thoroughly, but I feel it gets a bit worse futher into the book.

Oh - and scene changes aren't marked out sufficiently well.

So: I'm pleased it's now available as a legal ebook. I'm slightly disappointed that OCR errors that shoud have been caught by spell check at least (Ufe ?) were missed.

Hopefully they'll fix the errors at some point.

Lighting EVER 18 Watt Flush Mount LED Ceiling Lighting Fixture, 260mm Diameter, 30W Fluorescent Bulb Replacement, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent replacement for a 2D flush light fitting, 13 Oct 2012
I got this unit to replace a similar shape 2D 16W light fixture that had broken.

The other reviewer covered everything about the fitting. Fortunately in my case, I was able to fit it flat against the ceiling because my ceiling connection was recessed. It comes with cable attached, but also with a wiring connector block if your ceiling wiring is a simple wire. Mine already terminated in a block itself, so I could simply attach the new light wires to that. Since the fitting wasn't a problem for me I'm giving it five stars.

It runs cool - barely warm to the touch, even after hours of continuous operation. It is considerably brighter than the 16W fluorescent it replaces (which I suppose I should have expected. If they made a 12W version I'd probably have gone for that), and the light it gives out is very even, and lights the ceiling, as well as downwards (the sides and top edge of the plastic cover are translucent, and the light shines through them as well as down through the main area of the cover).

I can't comment on longevity yet. But I have hopes that it will last well, given that there seems to be no excessive heat generated. (unlike the 16W fluorescent fixture it replaced.)

Kim
Kim

1.0 out of 5 stars A simple conversion of a public domain text, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: Kim (Kindle Edition)
This review is for Kim [Kindle Edition]
No publisher given
ASIN:B006RXD5NS

No italics. Straight quotes. No accents. No illustrations or annotations. Usual typos (e.g. pincers for pencase). A small space between paragraphs as well as a first line indent.

There's nothing to distinguish this from the many other simple conversions of the text, except that at least the publisher has put DRM on it. But there are better cheaper editions that also don't have DRM.

If you're looking for a Kindle edition of Kim, don't just search for "Kim". That only finds a few of the many editions. Search for "Kim Kipling" (without the quotes) to find the many editions available. And also look for my review "Kindle Edition Choice is critical" for a review of all the available UK editions as of January 2012. I can't give a live link to the mass review here, but its web address is: [...]

Kim (Vintage Classics)
Kim (Vintage Classics)
Price: 2.48

3.0 out of 5 stars A very good version of the text, nicely formatted, 2 Jan 2012
This review is for Kim (Vintage Classics) (Kindle edition)
Publisher: Vintage Digital
ASIN: B0047DVI7K

A very clean copy of the text. I only found two definite typo in the sample text (Kutu instead of Kulu, and Oh instead of Ohé). It's also very nicely formatted, with good formatting of chapter starts and paragraphs. Italics, curly quotes and proper dashes, of course. No real extras - a paragraph or two about Kipling is all, really. No illustrations or annotations.

Three stars only because of the price and lack of illustrations and annotations.

Kim (Penguin Classics)
Kim (Penguin Classics)
Price: 1.80

3.0 out of 5 stars A nicely formatted edition, if a bit pricy, 2 Jan 2012
This review is for Kim (Penguin Classics) (Kindle edition)
Publisher: Penguin
ASIN: B0050N7G8Q

A nicely formatted edition with lots of extras. Indeed, so many extras that I can't comment on the text, as the sample doesn't actually get to the text itself. Hopefully based on the same clean text as the ePenguin edition Kim (Penguin Modern Classics) [Kindle Edition]

No illustrations as far as I can tell. Three stars because of the price and lack of illustrations. The J. Lockwood Kipling illustrations are worth having.

Kim (Puffin Classics)
Kim (Puffin Classics)
Price: 3.59

1.0 out of 5 stars A nice plain edition that's missing all the italics, 2 Jan 2012
This review is for Kim (Puffin Classics)
Publisher: Puffin
ASIN: B004WNA9BQ

A disappointment. Although with a nice introduction by Susan Cooper, the text is completely missing all its italics. Otherwise, it's quite well formatted, and the text seems very clean - it even has the correct u with macron character. There don't seem to be any extras except for the introduction - no annotations, no illustrations. This would be a good plain (if overpriced) edition, if it wasn't for the missing italics.

It it had the Italics, I'd have given this edition three stars for the nice formatting and clean text.

If you're looking for a Kindle edition of Kim, don't just search for "Kim". That only finds a few of the many editions. Search for "Kim Kipling" (without the quotes) to find the many editions available. And also look for my review "Kindle Edition Choice is critical" for a review of all the available UK editions as of January 2012. I can't give a live link to the mass review here, but its web address is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R352D63HO69Y03/

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8