Profile for J. Syed > Reviews

Content by J. Syed

J. Syed "akmal hussein" (Seattle, WA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Oasis the Truth: My Life as Oasis's Drummer
Oasis the Truth: My Life as Oasis's Drummer
by Tony McCarroll

5.0 out of 5 stars The Drummer's tale, 13 April 2014
I've just finished reading this very enjoyable and illuminating book. It does show how Noel was a nasty piece of work, and Guigsy comes out of it badly (he didn't even play on Definitely Maybe, his parts were deleted).

My take on this whole Oasis controversy is that Oasis had two world class things in their favour, Liam's voice and Noel's songwriting. In terms of instrumental competence none of them were professional standard (even Noel's guitar). None of them would have ever made it as a session musician. Guigsy and Bonehead kept schtumm and hung on for the ride. Tony didn't, and his disagreements with Noel led to him getting fired. That and his clear lack of any business nous at all are what shyiiine through in the book.

Having said that, did Oasis really sound better when they had professional standard instrumentalists playing for them (2000 onwards)? I would say not - the best songs they had were simple, direct and didn't need fancy twiddles. Anyway, Tony was with them right up to mid-1995, so in a way he experienced most of the best part of it.
The book was really well written and a pleasure to read.

Frothing Jug 12oz / 330ml | Stainless Steel Frothing Jug by Genware, Coffee Milk Jug, Cappuccino Milk Jug, Cappuccino Frothing Jug
Offered by One Click Wonder

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 26 Dec 2011
Nic elittle frothing jug, fill it up halfway, it has a good spout, and well positioned handle to make sure you don't get burnt hands. No complaints at all.

Diary of a Thai Escort
Diary of a Thai Escort

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable story, 26 Dec 2011
This is clearly written by an insider as the tiny details of the life of an escort (obsession with towels, extensive card-playing) and financial details are extremely accurate. I wasn't so convinced by the second half and the slightly contrived Hollywood-like ending, which made me think that an overall narrative had been imposed on a collection of real experiences, but I would nevertheless highly recommend the book and it is an excellent counterweight to a lot of the rubbish often written on the subject. It is also a gripping story.

The Guardian and the Observer
The Guardian and the Observer

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a paper designed for the Kindle, 27 Oct 2011
Firstly I'm glad to have the chance to contribute to the Guardian that I've been reading for free for several years. The app for Kindle is designed perfectly for the minimum of clicks. I thought I would miss the lack of comments but actually it opens up new parts of the paper I had never noticed before.
Having downloaded the trial verison I'm pretty sure I'll continue with it. I'll also continue to access the website and add comments there.

Booky Wook 2: This time it's personal
Booky Wook 2: This time it's personal
by Russell Brand

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining as usual, 24 Oct 2010
Now that Brand's fame has reached gargantuan proportions, this timely book give the inside story on many of the controversies of the past few years. The "Bring Back Trevor" campaigners will be interested to see why Brand dropped him based on some rather dubious (to say the least) legal allegations. The genesis of the "put down of the decade" against Geldof is fully set out, and most importantly we find out why he and Matt stopped talking, which led to the strange events of late 2008.

I found the last bit about Katy Perry a bit unconvincing as he tries to persuade us he has put his womanising days behind him for this rather plain american girl (let's guess how that one will finish!).

Overall a good read, some funny stories, not quite up to BW1 but, especially for fans of his from the 6 Music days an interesting read. Who knows how his Hollywood adventure will turn out but from Britain's no.1 comedian of 2006-8 this is another entertaining book.

The Miracle: The Epic Story of Asia's Quest for Wealth
The Miracle: The Epic Story of Asia's Quest for Wealth
by Michael Schuman

4.0 out of 5 stars Developmental states, 4 Aug 2010
This is a sweep through the Asian developmental states from the human interest angle - mainly stories and anecdotes. This approach makes it much more memorable than a theoretical analysis of the concept of a developmental state, focussing on dominant and mobile elites, strong bureaucracies, relative state autonomy, economic and political nationalism, the lack of entrenched economic interests at the beginning and weak civil society and human rights. However most of these areas are covered in the book. The standard journalistic technique of building a history around personalities (and using them to illustrate the analysis) is used.

My only quibble would be that I found it a bit disorganised. For example I wanted to read the chapter about Indonesia first, but it is not arranged by country - there are chunks about Indonesia in various parts of the book but you have to do a bit of detective work with the index to find them. Part of the story is told, then you're off to Korea or Japan again, before returning 40 pages later. So for a second edition I would include a page summarising the locations of each country chunk, that would make it easier for those interested in a particular country.

Bounce: How Champions are Made
Bounce: How Champions are Made
by Matthew Syed

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and convincingly argued, 4 Jun 2010
I have just finished this book after receiving it this morning. It is more of a review of the literature in the field presented in a populist way with interesting personal anecdotes. The central hypothesis seems to be that anyone who can do 10,000 hours of intense practice in a 10-year period can excel at a complex task/sport/art. Any talk of genius, talent, prodigy etc is misplaced and romanticised labelling of what is hard work combined with good feedback mechanisms.

I always wondered why Tim Henman, who in his mid-teens was only a moderately good school player, went on to become world no 4. Now I know. The others were maybe sidetracked by other interests but not our Tim.

Most of us probably realise this and the role of pushy fathers in creating "genius" (Mozart, Tiger, Beckham, Williams sisters etc) but it's useful to have it set out like this. I can't help wondering if the author, having achieved a high level in table tennis, has now put in his 10,000 hours in journalism and is now reaping the rewards.

SanDisk 16GB Micro Cruzer - Retail Pack
SanDisk 16GB Micro Cruzer - Retail Pack

1.0 out of 5 stars I regret buying this, 10 May 2009
When installing this some kind of virus was transferred to my computer which attacked and disabled the wireless network adapter and I can no longer use the internet connection. So not only was it a waste of money but it has caused me a huge amount of inconvenience.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 27, 2009 2:09 PM GMT

MERRELL Shoes - Slip ons JUNGLE MOC - gunsmoke, Gr÷?e:44
MERRELL Shoes - Slip ons JUNGLE MOC - gunsmoke, Gr÷?e:44

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully comfortable, 9 May 2009
These shoes are just fantastic, well worth the money. They are so comfortable you don't even realise you are wearing them.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak

2.0 out of 5 stars Gave up ..., 8 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
As another reviewer mentioned, it is pretty boring at the beginning - I got about a third through and then gave up. It looked like developing into a standard weepy holocaust novel, which genre has I think been mined to death.

If I had more time I might have persevered, however there are many other great books out there.

Page: 1 | 2