Profile for Asthenia > Reviews

Asthenia (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
The Web: Alex Delaware 10
The Web: Alex Delaware 10

2.0 out of 5 stars Only Read If You Are Trying to Read the Whole Set, 21 April 2014
I really enjoy this author, and am working my way through the series. I usually find I cannot put them down. However, this one I could put down quite easily. Set on an island, it's almost as tedious as being forced to sit through a neighbour's holiday photos. Nothing much happens until half way in (literally - 50% as I read it on a Kindle), when it perks up a little. But this doesn't last and I found myself quite unable to suspend my disbelief. I felt disappointed and if this had been the first Alex Delaware I had read, I would never have read another. Only read this one if you are intent on reading the whole set.

Dumb Ways to Die
Dumb Ways to Die

5.0 out of 5 stars For Your Own Sake - Never Listen to the Theme Tune!, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Dumb Ways to Die (App)
This game is great fun. Deceptively easy and yet tricky in parts, it's quite addictive. It is suitable for all ages. However - DO NOT LISTEN TO THE THEME TUNE! It will be stuck in your head forever, endlessly playing on a loop. You have been warned...

What Doesn't Kill Her
What Doesn't Kill Her

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy Holiday Reading, 21 April 2014
I have never read anything by this author before and thought I would try his wares at the bargain price of £1. It was certainly worth that. An enjoyable and easy read, it's quite a page-turner in parts. The identity of the killer is very obvious early on (he isn't wearing an "I am the killer" T shirt, but he might as well be). In fact, his identity was so obvious, I was waiting for it to be an Agatha Christie style red herring. Determining the identity of the killer did not spoil the book, this just allowed me to feel smug about my powers of detection! I would recommend this as a light holiday read.

Silent Partner: Alex Delaware 4
Silent Partner: Alex Delaware 4

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, 16 Feb. 2014
You're going to have to suspend your disbelief quite a bit for this one. If you can manage that, it's a good read, moving along fairly briskly. A newspaper review mentioned that there is a lot of sex in it. This is true, but it somehow manages not to be erotic at all. I found myself skipping over it, just as I do the descriptions of the characters' outfits. If you like your billionaires eccentric, your plots twisted and your family secrets deeply buried, give it a try.

Over the Edge: Alex Delaware 3
Over the Edge: Alex Delaware 3

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Edition Poor - Buy a Paper Copy, 13 Feb. 2014
I am not reading these books in the order they were written. This is the 14th I have read, and if I were ranking them in order of enjoyment, it would be ... number 14. That's not to say it's a bad book - it's not - it is just not as brilliant as the others. It's possible that part of my reading pleasure was marred by reading a truly awful kindle edition. Words are split into two, three or even four parts - psy ch o logists - or two or three words are run together. There is some form of error on almost every page. I would still recommend it, but I would advise you to get a paper copy.

The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance to grow.., 25 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The Casual Vacancy (Paperback)
I had heard mixed reviews of this book, with people either loving or hating it. I was late to the party - it had been out for ages before I picked up a copy. Although it gets off to a slow start, stick with it. The author has a knack of fleshing out characters gradually until you care about what happens to them. By the end of the book, I was thoroughly enjoying it and was sorry to finish it. Harry Potter it isn't - if that is what you're hoping for, you'll be sadly disappointed. The lives of these characters are gritty and grim with no magic. If you can open your mind to something new, this is a good read.

RLRR LRLL (paradiddle) T-Shirt for Drummers! (black) (Small)
RLRR LRLL (paradiddle) T-Shirt for Drummers! (black) (Small)
Offered by My Cup Of Tee

5.0 out of 5 stars An In Joke for Drummers, 25 July 2013
Bought this for a teenager who drums. He loves it - and he enjoys the fact that non-drummers are mystified by the text. It has washed and worn well.

Busted (The Will Trent Series)
Busted (The Will Trent Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars A Bit Disappointing.., 25 July 2013
Having just finished "Criminal" by the same author ( a brilliant read that I couldn't put down), I was really keen to read this short story that features the same characters. It starts well, but it just isn't her usual standard. Several characters are introduced in quick succession. I found myself getting confused as to who was who and what their relationship was to other characters. The short story format just didn't allow for fleshing out of the characters and their stories. And then, just when your Kindle tells you that you are only 60% through, the story rushes to an end. What follows next are extracts from "Unseen" and the aforementioned "Criminal". I felt robbed by this. My advice would be to nip out to the supermarket and pick up "Criminal" for £4 instead of downloading this!

John Carter of Mars: The Collection - A Princess of Mars; The Gods of Mars; The Warlord of Mars; Thuvia, Maid of Mars; The Chessmen of Mars
by Edgar Rice Burroughs

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to My Teenage Years, 2 May 2012
I first read these books as a teenager, borrowing them from the library. I was delighted to find that I enjoyed them just as much this time. The stories are "ripping yarns". John Carter, as the "best swordsman on two worlds", is a marvellous hero with the stories being well-written and fast-paced. My only problem is with the format of this book. It's huge - think text-book sized rather than normal paperback - which means it doesn't fit into the handbag and is unwieldy to read in the bath! But this minor quibble aside, this is a good buy and a great read.

A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse Vampire Myst)
A Touch of Dead (Sookie Stackhouse Vampire Myst)
by Charlaine Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit more Sookie.., 9 April 2010
I didn't realise that this is a book of short stories based on the Sookie Stackhouse character. Because of this, I was a bit disappointed as I had thought I was buying the next book in the series. However, I did enjoy it and it did tie up one very loose end for me ( the death of Sookie's cousin).

Page: 1 | 2