ARRAY(0xadbfe5ac)

Metallica
Metallica
Price: 9.88

3.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of the end, 17 Mar 2006
This review is from: Metallica (Audio CD)
This is a decent album but in my opinion signalled the inevitable downturn in the quality of Metallica albums. They couldn't keep the brilliance going indefinitely. Not one of the songs on here grab me like they used to in the first four albums. Its nothing all that bad, but if you are going to buy one Metallica album, it has to be Master of Puppets, definitely their masterpiece and they will never hit the heights like that again.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3) Paperback
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3) Paperback
by J.K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the first three books, 25 Feb 2006
Firstly, I would like to start on a negative note before concentrating on the book. My rant to other reviewers: Please stop spoiling these books for other people by letting slip important plot elements in your reviews. These reviews are not the place to do this, go on the HP forums and discuss these things with others who have already read the books if you like but don't ruin it for others. Already I have stumbled across a couple of important facts about books 4 and 5 that I certainly didn't want to know just after a brief flick through some Amazon reviews. This shouldn't happen and I'm annoyed that it has. Just stop it, OK! My advice to people is not to read the reviews on here for books in the series they haven't read yet. Rant over.
OK, so far I have just read the first three in the HP series, having come late to the phenomenon as a curious almost-thirty-year-old. I enjoyed the first two books a lot, raced through them and thought 'That was good fun.....but I am too old for this?' They were obviously primarily for younger readers but I could enjoy them too. The third booked I feel bridges the slight age gap of the first two and is a truly wonderful read for all ages. The characters are more interesting and fleshed out, the story starts to take on a slightly darker edge as has been said many times before. This is the book that really made me start to care seriously about the characters and what is happening in this magical world. The second half of the book is magnificent and had me racing through it in no time, now I can't wait to get started on Goblet of Fire. Put simply, I just haven't enjoyed reading a book as much as this for a long time (and I've read a LOT of books); at the end I thought to myself, 'Now that was brilliant'. The book really captures your imagination by starting to delve more thoroughly into the past of the Potters' and their friends, leaving you more hungry than ever to find out more in the following book. Personally I'm glad I came late to HP, as it means I can get through books 1-6 without an agonising wait for my next fix; but waiting for book 7 could be painful once I get that far. Highly recommended.

Psychonauts (PC)
Psychonauts (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars We owe it to ourselves to make this a success, 20 Feb 2006
This review is from: Psychonauts (PC) (Video Game)
I'm not going to explain what the game is about. I dont think I could put it eloquently enough to do justice to the game.
What I will say is that the design, innovation, and sheer love that has clearly gone into the game means it deserves to be played by every serious gamer. The voice acting and humour is to the level you would expect of a Tim Schafer game (he of Grim Fandango, Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle fame).
I would class this game as an adventure game more than anything else, yes, its easy to pigeonhole it as a platformer but the platforming elements are easily overshadowed by the process of simply playing through the hero's (Rasputin) story. There is one annoying platform section near the end which is pretty difficult but the rest of it will be breezed through by any experienced gamer.
The story is what this game is about, and also just having sheer good fun. Like the old Lucasarts adventure games, you cant really die in a 'Game Over, start again' fashion like traditional platformers and you are free to experiment and try things with your mental powers without the game punishing you for it. Being inside the troubled mind of a paranoid conspiracist or a man with a Napoleon complex is as bizarre as you could imagine, and very funny.
I have heard some people complain about the camera in the game but I dont have any problems with it, certainly nothing major or game-breaking. I would advise purchasing a PS2 pad and USB/PS2 adaptor to play this game, definitely better than keyboard/mouse. You should have this for Pro Evo Soccer already anyway!
All-in-all, gamers have been crying out for more originality, innovation etc in games, this has these things in spades and is a top quality game into the bargain. Buy this game and let the suits know we care about our games and are not content with 'Generic RTS 5' or 'Seen-it-all-before FPS 3'. If games like this arent a commercial success then we deserve to be force-fed bland, uninspiring clones of games that weren't so good to begin with. Make this a hit and ensure a future of exciting, groundbreaking titles, please!