Profile for Billy Redfish > Reviews

Content by Billy Redfish

Billy Redfish "iantravelling" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Running and Stuff
Running and Stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, honest, funny ...... made me want to just run further and further, 29 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Running and Stuff (Kindle Edition)
Probably the most inspiring book on ultrarunning out there. Read it. Great read, put me off ever running the Badwater Ultra marathon or the Marathon Des Sables, and made me look closer to home and at the rich variety of ultramarathons we have on our doorstep in the UK. Great book James!

The Sharp End
The Sharp End

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect surfers bedtime read!, 29 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Sharp End (Kindle Edition)
Great read - every surfers bedtime book! Some great stories, great cynicism with some optimism that only UK surfers who have spent too many hours looking at windy blown out waves through foggy rain swept windscreens will understand. Had to force myself to put this book down every night to a) get some sleep, and b) make it last. The most disappointing thing about this book was the end - tough book to follow!

How You Can Run Faster Effortlessly
How You Can Run Faster Effortlessly

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, small, vague, uninformative book - look elsewhere!, 29 Nov. 2014
I thought this would be a book that would take my running to another level, but I was sorely disappointed. I run marathons every week, as part of ultramarathon training, and would like to run some longer distances faster with comparable effort. This book is NOT the answer. Its a compilation of second hand information that I could have written if I had the mind to do it. The "secrets to run like the Kenyans" is utter nonsense - go read "Running Like the Kenyans" or watch a host of documentaries that are available on thre net, and you'll get what this book gives you in the first five minutes. The section on taking your weight off your heels and running on your forefoot is vague and again, secondhand - read Pose Running, or even better, Chi Running by Danny Dryer and you'll have a much clearer picture of how to do this.
All in all a waste of money - I'm going back to Chi Running and working on my form focuses, that will get me there, this book certainly wont!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2014 11:23 AM GMT

Merrell Men's Chameleon Wrap Slam Hiking Shoes J86269 Charcoal/Red 13 UK, 49 EU
Merrell Men's Chameleon Wrap Slam Hiking Shoes J86269 Charcoal/Red 13 UK, 49 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn....., 3 April 2012
Have always had problems buying Merrells as most of them are great looking shoes but never seem to fit. Took the plunge after reading so many good reviews about these shoes .... and they are amazing!! I took everyone elses advice and went much bigger, and it paid off - I'm normally 11 1/2 and like a big shoe - bought a UK13 and its perfect. These shoes are really roomy, yet feel snugg and well-fitting at the same time. They do develop a bit of a squeak which is caused by the inner lining around the heel rubbing against the heel contruction inside it ..... however it seemed to calm down after a while and I dont notice it now. I walk an hour each way to work and these shoes are bliss to wear. And the red really looks good - very bright out of the box but tones down within a week or two of wear.
I'm now going to buy the olive ones, as there's no other shoes I'd rather be wearing right now.... and strangely size 13's dont look big with these shoes???
If in doubt - do it! At any price these shoes are worth it..

A Record of Awakening: Practice and Insight on the Buddhist Path
A Record of Awakening: Practice and Insight on the Buddhist Path
by David Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book!, 4 Mar. 2012
A friend of mine studies dharma with David Smith, and pointed me in the direction of this book. Its a great read, from an extraordinary man who has actually done some amazing things in his life (would you give up all, and go to Sri Lanka to become a monk for several years - nope, me neither). However the whole book is humble and beautifully "plain" - by that I mean, David just says everything as it is. This book encpouraged me to buy his second book, Dharma Mind Worldly Mind, and that book is a stunning read. Very insprational, not instructional, just mind-awakening! Get them both - after writing this review I really need to read them both again. They will change the way you view your dharma practice thats for sure.

Crybaby Presents the Wah-Wah Book
Crybaby Presents the Wah-Wah Book
by P. Howorth

1.0 out of 5 stars Another failed instructional book!, 4 Mar. 2012
Bought this book as I play electric mandolin and wanted to try and apply wah wah techniques into what I play. Sadly this is another instructional book written and edited by people who dont understand the steps you need to learn a new skill. Great tracks, all very cool stuff ... and if you already read music proficiently and already have a pretty good mastery of the cry baby, perhaps this book is for you (but then, you wouldnt need a book, would you).
There are too many instructional books out there that dont focus on what the beginner (I am a proficient mandolin player, just not a proficient cry baby user!) really needs. And if you're not already a guitar legend in your own basement / bedroom, dont think this book will take you there - it wont. Save your money, and put it towards one music lesson with a good teacher who can teach you the basics of the cry baby.

Surfing's Greatest Misadventures
Surfing's Greatest Misadventures

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts well .... doesnt quite make it though...., 4 Mar. 2012
As you start reading this book, you get exactly what you expected ..... extraordinary misadventures. As a surfer for many years, I could really feel what these people were going through, even though thank goodness (touching wood, here!) I've never come face to face with a shark in the line up. Some great travel stories, and some great misadventures ...... the problem is all the good stuff is packed into the first third of the book ... the rest seems just to have been filled by long, rambling anecdotes of surfing in the fifties and sixties. Sure if you want to read about the first californian surfers dodging the military and the cops to get to their favourite break ... letting down each others tyres and stealing each others surf shorts (not the greatest misadventures, me thinks!!!) - but for me it makes for dull reading. From shark attacks and scary, scary situations, to keystone cops kind of stuff ..... took this book from 5 stars down to 1 or 2 (hence the 3* review).
It just has the feel that there was not enough material to fill this book, so from a first half of short punchy stories to a second half of long, rambling, pretty uninteresting japes and capers. If you want to read about the surfing legends of the fifties and sixties and what they really got up to, read their biographies. Not this one....
Shame - could have been a great book - if you want an amazing surfing read - Tom Anderson's Magic Carpet has to be one of the best surfing books ever written. Sadly this one isnt!

Dharma Mind Worldly Mind: A Buddhist Handbook on Complete Meditation
Dharma Mind Worldly Mind: A Buddhist Handbook on Complete Meditation
by David Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an instructional book - more an inspiration!, 4 Mar. 2012
I got this book after being directed towards David Smith's first book, which documents his life in Buddhism, his studies, and ultimately where it left him now. This book is very different - I bought it thinking it would be quite instructional (why is it that instead of just plonking ourselves down on our cushion, we have to read, read, read to find out how!!) but its really not that kind of book. It deals with many of the issues we face tring to move towards that ever illusive "enlightened mind", its only a small short book, but it took me ages to read!! I kept just going back a couple of pages, then a couple more, trying to soak and resoak up some of his messages. Its a little book that I'll read many many times over the years, I'm sure of that. I think its so easy to get hung up on the "self help" style of Buddhism, spending more time reading than actually just practicing...... this book will change the way you approach your buddhist practice, for sure.
If you're looking for a step by step guide to enlightenment, this is not it. If you want to have your mind widened and expanded by the meaning and relevance of everything around you, this is it. Buddhism is for every second of every day, not just for that 30 minute sit in the morning.
Read it!

Tuff-Luv Natural Hemp case cover for Amazon Kindle 4 / 6" E-Ink / 6" E-Ink (Book Style) - 'Desert Sand'

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful cover - and such a nice change from black!, 4 Mar. 2012
Bought this as my girlfriend had a similar one for her keyboard kindle. I was loath to pay much for a kindle cover (£40 for a cover - the kindle cost £90 - no thank you!). There are so many cheap covers out there, and way too many black "leather - look" covers (none of them are leather). We seem to have an obsession with black ... our phones and phone covers, our computer bags ... how dull they all are. This cover is just so beautiful to hold and to use. It compliments the kindle perfectly, holds it securely ... and yes, I did drop my kindle the day after putting in my cover ... aaaaagghhh, but all was well - it does the job. The hemp cover has a lovely feel to it, and as I'm in a hot country at the moment, doesnt get sweaty like the leather look covers do, when you hold it. The design is very tasteful, and it doesnt look like you're carrying an expensive piece of gadgetry, it looks more like a small notebook or diary cover.
All the buttons, USB etc aren't obstructed by the cover, so it functions well. Its just the aesthetics I cant get over - it really is a beautiful cover. Lets face it Kindles arent the most attractive things in the world, but this cover makes it a beautiful thing to hold and read.
If you've read this far - just get this cover. You will not be disappointed!

Raining At Sunset
Raining At Sunset

5.0 out of 5 stars Just buy it ..., 23 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Raining At Sunset (MP3 Download)
The most beautiful, creative album I have ever heard. There should be a sixth start just for creations such as this! I play mandolin, and this is the most inspiring album you could ever hope for. Some of Chris' stuff is acheivable too!!!! (get his "Stealing Second" album, and the sheet music and your repetoire will soar!!!

Page: 1 | 2