Profile for Crazy Seahorse > Reviews

Content by Crazy Seahorse

Crazy Seahorse "Crazy Seahorse" (Cambridge)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Micro Scalextric G1092 Fast & Furious 1:64 Scale Race Set
Micro Scalextric G1092 Fast & Furious 1:64 Scale Race Set

4.0 out of 5 stars A well conceived introduction to slot racing., 18 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is great for younger children. It is much smaller than your standard Scalextric and consequently much quicker and easier to build. It also makes it more suitable for those who have a smaller lounge It is easier to drive the cars too, although you can't go flat out all of the way round, you nearly can, which means that your children can give you a good race without getting too frustrated at always coming off. My children had a lot of fun playing with this when we tried it out, but as it is so small it didn't last long, and they were inspired to get out the hot wheels and play with that instead.

So I think this is good for filling up half an hour with a bit of racing and then you can put it away again, which is much quicker, easier and less effort than the full size Scalextric. I would hesitate to recommend it if your children are more than about 8 years old though.

Stanley STHT5-20211 20-inch/ 500mm Heavy Duty Saw (Pack of 5)
Stanley STHT5-20211 20-inch/ 500mm Heavy Duty Saw (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good set of saws but not sure why 5 are needed., 7 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are pretty decent quality saws, although it is clear that they have been designed to a budget, unlike the last forever, sharpened wooden handled saws that are left from my father's tool kit.. I am not sure why you would need 5? The handle is plastic with a rubber grip, which is comfy to hold even if you are not wearing gloves. The blade is steel and the teeth appear to be laser cut and are well set. The teeth are large and the saw gives a coarse cut. I've got them to cut wood for a wood burner, I wouldn't go near anything that needs fine control with it, its garden jobs all the way with these.

The saw comes in a paper/ cardboard sheath to protect it and is coated in oil, and I will try to hang on to this as long as I can as they will inevitably make the saw last longer.

Konstsmide Lightsets Outdoor 3612-110 19.04 m 120 Micro LED Fairy Lights, Warm White

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright lights!, 7 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are lights for outdoor trees for use at Christmas. We haven't tried them on the trees yet, but we have some other lights we got last year that are a similar design and work a treat. The transformer is large and robust and is about 10m from the first light. We keep our transformer in the garage, and feed the wire through a corner of our side door. There are enough lights to easily cover a small tree, our apricot tree, which we have used these on is about 2.5m high and has a canopy probably about the same diameter.

The lights are really bright and judging by last years model very reliable, it really does make everything much more beautiful in winter.

Recommended

Scalextric 1:32 Scale GT Lightning Slot Car (Purple)
Scalextric 1:32 Scale GT Lightning Slot Car (Purple)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good basic car, 14 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pretty decent if basic Scalextric car. It is simply moulded and not particularly well detailed or fixtures. The car comes with stickers that you can attach yourself, adding to the budget feel of the product when you take it out of the box.

It drives OK and competes well with the other cars in my fleet. As with most scalextric cars you get good performance out of the motor when new. It has taken a smash or two and survived unscathed so am quite happy with it.

I don't have digital scalextric so can't comment on how easy it is to use with those sets or how tricky it is to adapt it.

Busy B Take Away Menu Organiser - Multicolour
Busy B Take Away Menu Organiser - Multicolour

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea - poorly executed, 14 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This seemed like a good idea to me. A place to keep all of those menus from local takeaways. However, this has not been well executed, it is approximately A5 in size and has paper holders to keep, Chinese, Indian, and Italian takeaways menu's in. Anyone got an Italian takeaway nearby? I guess pizzas are Italian, but most pizza takeaways are a million miles away from what you would consider Italian food.

So a thumbs down from us, the menu's will stay pinned to the cork board - need to eat them less often anyway!

Rapesco X5-90PS Less Effort Heavy Duty Stapler
Rapesco X5-90PS Less Effort Heavy Duty Stapler

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Duty but not Battery Powered, 4 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This really is a heavy duty stapler and works really well. It is ideal for powering its way through thick reams of paper and gives a positive result. It folds the staple right through, giving you confidence in the process. Despite the power assisted name, this stapler is hand powered and uses a spring mechanism to generate more force. Although you still have to press quite hard to get the staple through the pages it is quite easy and does not need a heel of the hand and whole body weight effort to make it staple.

I was pretty pleased with it, having been sent it to review, but alas it will not be enjoyed by my office, as my wife has hoiked it away, saying the NHS's needs are far greater. Recommended.

Philips GC8638/20 PerfectCare Aqua Iron Steam Generator with One Perfect Temperature and 280 g Steam Boost, 2500 ml, 2400 Watt, 5.3 Bar, Navy

5.0 out of 5 stars A great iRon, 4 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The whole structure of this iron is huge. It is like a model spaceship and does not sit that readily on an ironing board. When you carry it about it has a locking mechanism to keep the iron on top in place, which looks a bit fragile given the size of the iron below and the weight of water it might hold. Despite the misgivings about size and the flimsiness of the locking mechanism, this gets a five star review because it irons clothes really well.

The bottom part of the iron stays on the board and the top lifts off and has steam jetted through it. There is a trigger on the iron handle to allow you to choose how much steam jets out. It has a smart heating system that is supposed to prevent burning. I could not see how temperature was set so I tentatively ironed a few test pieces of fabric and it did the job as suggested. I am not the best person at ironing in the world and my wife doesn't let me iron shirts if I need them for something smart like work. because the results aren't good enough, with this device even I managed to get crisp lines and remove all the creases.

My children have really enjoyed using it to, an iron that gets your kids to do their own ironing because it is so nice to use? Can't be all that bad.

It holds a large quantity of wa

Oral-B Pro 2000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Pro 2000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean teeth without the hassle., 14 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My daughter appropriated this immediately it arrived, and so I cannot give you first hand experience of the tooth cleaning action. Having said this, she loves using this toothbrush, enjoys using it, and since we have got it I find I have to nag her to clean her teeth far less often. The brush has two modes of operation, one which rotates the brush the whole time and another that pulses to help get rid of heavy soiling.

The claimed charge times have been borne out in our experience, the unit charges and plugs into the shaving socket in the bathroom, and a good charge per week seems to suffice.

This electric toothbrush has really helped encourage my daughter to clean her teeth, our dentist recommend using them over normal toothbrushes as they give a better clean. Cleaner teeth and no nagging, what is not to like, I've therefore given 5 stars.

Wahoo PROTKT Bike Mount for iPhone 5 and 5S - Black
Wahoo PROTKT Bike Mount for iPhone 5 and 5S - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A good but expensive bike mount., 14 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a robust bike mount that fits tightly over an iPhone 5. The top pulls is attached by thick rubber and takes considerable finger strength to pull up. The strength required did confuse me a bit and I must confess to having to take some time to work out how exactly to pull it. The in box instructions are sparse and I wasn't going to stoop so low as to scan the QR code and watch the video on the internet.

I have mounted this on the stem of my mountain bike using the supplied adapter and cable ties. The arrangement works pretty well and the phone feels secure, I like the fact that I am not having to bolt anything tight to my bike, with the potential to leave marks on it. The mount has thick rubber seals and you can be sure from the certified IP rating that it will keep out water ingress and dust. The phone touchscreen works seamlessly throughout the protective screen and the mount buttons all activate the phone buttons evenly.

My one concern is again the high cost of the Wahoo mount. It appears to be nearly twice as much as similar products, although another phone bike mount I got at Christmas time only lasted 2 months or so before snapping, so if this lasts a long time it might well be worth the extra cash.

Wahoo Fitness TICKR Heart Rate Monitor for iPhone and Android - Blue
Wahoo Fitness TICKR Heart Rate Monitor for iPhone and Android - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but battery life is suspect., 28 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a bluetooth and ANT+ hear rate monitor. In contrast to the older blue HR monitor this will interact with equipment in the gym as well as with your smartphone. It needs to be smart bluetooth and so an iPhone 5 or less and you will need to check for Android. I was attracted to this because I wanted to use it with Strava. What I have found since getting it is that I tend to use Wahoo's own fitness app and record everything from there are share it into multiple places. Wahoo fitness seems to be compatible with just about everything, including sending your data to yourself via an e-mail. I tend to send data to Strava and my fitness pal.

It is just a heart rate monitor however, and although very accurate, relies on having your phone to read it, I'm not sure how this suits runners, I beam it to the RFLKT product mounted on my bike handle bars. One last caution is to beware of battery life. If it is the same as the older blue HR monitor it will be about three months, for someone who cycles for about 5 hours per week, and does a further 4 hours in the gym. I guess that is the price of having a bluetooth monitor. The big plus with it is that it collects all your data together, which is really useful for training and data analysis.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2014 6:33 PM BST