Profile for Crazy Seahorse > Reviews

Content by Crazy Seahorse

Crazy Seahorse "Crazy Seahorse" (Cambridge)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
TONI&GUY  Men Styling Fibre 75 ml
TONI&GUY Men Styling Fibre 75 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Style over substance, 23 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've used a vareity of hair products over the years to keep the hair on the top of my head spiky or flat topped or other crimes against the fashion world. I have to say that I am very impressed with this product and I have been looking for something like it for a long time. Although gel and mousse work very well, when you travel you are never far from a bag full of slime or a bag full of foam. Wax is an answer but it is really hard to work into your hair, if you are in a hot climate its a little better, but although safe in terms of a travel bag the results aren't great. I have used brylcream's was gel but it doesn't go far enough. Just for completeness gel can form into sticky balls - not pleasant and mousse fails if applied by the hands and needs to be combed through.

This product appears to sit in just the right place. It is like a thick cream, it is soft to the touch and easy to work into your fingers and into your hair. It didn't leave any sticky residue on my hands and only needed a quick wash afterwards. I got the results that I wanted when I styled my hair, it's quite fine and needs a fairly firm gel to get the spiky effect. I tested it for transportation by putting it in the back pocket of my cycling jersey on my commute this morning, and it arrived looking the same inside the tin as when I left.

It looks like the right product for me and although I got this to review on Amazon Vine I expect I shall buy it again.

Philips SatinPerfect Deluxe HP6581/03 Wet and Dry Epilator, with Skin Tautening Attachment, Shaver Head and Precision Epilator

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but there are better epilators on the market, 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nice package containing an epilator, a couple of different heads, a small epilator for difficult to reach places and a pair of tweazers with a light on them. The tweazers, carry much and small epilator went down very well in our house but the main product was not so well received. We have reviewed other epilators and compared with it, this Philips one is noisier and less good at extracting small hairs. It has a wider head as well, which has the benefit of making the hair removal process fasters as it mows a wider stripe in the lawn so to speak, but at the cost of feeling a lot more aggressive. Pulling hairs out hurts and this is pulling more hairs out at once.

So it can't get full marks because the main part of the product is not as good as other products on the market. Having written that, it still does a good job and the other items in the package overall got the thumbs up from the ladies in my household. The narrow headed epilator particularly. The skin stretching function was also felt not to work particularly well.

Einhell TE-OS 18 Li solo Power  X-Change 18 V  Lithium Cordless Multi Sander with filter box
Einhell TE-OS 18 Li solo Power X-Change 18 V Lithium Cordless Multi Sander with filter box

5.0 out of 5 stars Portable, light sander that gets in tight corners, 8 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Firstly a note came with the product asking that it be made clear that the battery and charger do not come with the unit. With that out of the way, we can get on with the review.

We think that the Einhell sander is a really excellent piece of equipment. It is portable and ergonomic, able to get into lots of little corners and the inbuilt sand extraction function also works very well. The sander comes with a few sanding pads that attach to the base like velcro. The ones supplied are quite fine and you might want to buy some coarser pads if you have a lot to remove. Your hand fits over the top of the sander, a bit like one of those posh computer mice, and it is fairly easy to manipulate and quite light. My wife used it to sand some wood in between our kitchen and dining room floor, and was able to do it quickly and effectively. She stated at the end that she was going to throw our old sanders away as this was so good.

Just a note to explain why the unit doesn't come with the required battery pack. Einhell make a range of units that all take the sam batteries and charger. The idea is that you buy one charger unit and it serves all of them, keeping the cost of all the individual products down. I guess you just have to make sure that you are not using more than one of them at a time. Nevertheless this is warmly recommended.

Cafetto at Home Eco Descaler 2 x 120ml
Cafetto at Home Eco Descaler 2 x 120ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective Acid Based Descaler, not so eco., 31 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried this out last night on our automatic coffee machine. It worked quite well, you add the bottle to a litre of water, incidently the size of the reservoir in the automatic coffee machine and pass it through. I caught the output in a cup and added it to the kettle and descaled that too with a couple of boils. It worked well, leaving a shiny surface on the inside of the kettle and no smell. After rinsing there is no taint either so it scores over using vinegar, which always leaves an odour and a bit of taint on subsequent uses.

I think the product packaging is a bit misleading the solution is corrosive, but this is not marked on the packaging, and the leaflet supplied gives warnings especially if it was swallowed. I had followed the instructions on the exterior of the package and not got to the warnings until a little later. Swallowing is not a good idea, so make sure you wash your kit thoroughly.

As for cleaning the coffee machine, it does work. The volume of the cups it produces has gone up, which is great. So if you want an expensive odour free alternative to vinegar this will work for you.

Igenix IG8020 Double Hotplate 500 W - White
Igenix IG8020 Double Hotplate 500 W - White

4.0 out of 5 stars A good portable hotplate that's a little underpowered., 19 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a small light and convenient double hotplate. It is nicely finished and very portable. We have only used it so far for adding a couple of extra emergency burners when we have had a lot of people for dinner. Be aware it is not like gas or induction hobs that give you instant heat, nor does it have a great deal of power. Best to boil the water first in the kettle and use this to keep the vegetables simmering. It has an LED to show you that it is on, and its wide footprint and enamel finish mean that it will protect your work surface.

Our most probable use for it is when we go camping, as long as the electrical hook up can take it, it is not that highly powered so probably isn't going to trip the camp sites power feed.

In summary, a good portable hotplate, which is a little under powered. Good for camping or an emergency, but not to be relied on as the main source for cooking food.

Science in Sport REGO 500g Chocolate REGO Rapid Recovery
Science in Sport REGO 500g Chocolate REGO Rapid Recovery

4.0 out of 5 stars A combined protein shake and energy drink that tastes alright., 17 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a recovery drink aimed at feeding tired muscles and replacing a bit of energy. I have been using it after long bike rides. Normally I will take energy drink and something like soreen malt loaf onto a ride, then go for coffee and a cake when I get back. This shake combines a bit of energy with a protein shake's worth of protein (20g) in a fairly tasty chocolate drink. It will turn out to be pretty useful when you have to go out pretty much as soon as you have arrived back at the house.

Taste wise it is quite like a protein shake, but has a slightly better mouthfeel and as such is easier to get down. Normally after a long ride, and especially if I've had gel I can't bear the thought of anything sweet or sugary, but this seems to fit the bill. Does it work? Well I find protein shakes do in general, they help muscle growth and recovery, and help keep your protein level up without having to eat ludicrous amounts of meat.

There is a lot of talk about how a reay made chocolate milk shake will do the job just as well (I think Mo Farah uses that), an argument cost wise for sure. I also tend to use powders when I am on a long ride, weighed into bags and mixed with water when I find a tap. If you do a lot of bike riding or long runs then this product might help you.

Belkin 1.2 m 2.4 A Flat Lightning Sync and Charge Cable for Apple iPhone 5/iPad mini/iPad 4 - Blue (MFI Approved)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality colourful lead that rolls up neatly., 17 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good quality lead that is fully iPhone compatible. We have had cheaper than apple leads in the past, and they won't charge an iPad properly, but this lead is able to do so. The bright blue colour is nice and it rolls up nicely due to the flat wire. Overall it has a good quality feel to it as a product and with the colour it means we know who's lead is whos. Recommended.

Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20
Nutrifiz Wheatgrass Effervescent Tablets - Pack of 20

4.0 out of 5 stars A real tonic, 9 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been taking this for a couple of days now as I needed a tonic. I do seem to have a bit more energy, actually a lot more on the bike, and I do measure cadence, heart rate etc. Perhaps it is pyschological.

To drink this you a tablet in a glass of water and it fizzes up like the vitamin C tablets do. The fizzing process leaves a green scum on the surface with Cambridge hard water, and my children think it looks disgusting. I think this adds to the value of the product. Taste-wise it is a fairly inoffensive drink that doesn't tate of much at all. Despite the marketing claims it did seem a little gritty to me, but it is easy to get down and not unpleasant.

So I've given it four stars, firstly and most importantly because it has enhanced my feeling of well being, and generally given me a bit more energy. Secondly the appearance of the foamy green fizzy drink is very Dr Jekyll, its been a real tonic.

Ultrasport Women's Melbourne Tennis Dress - White, Medium
Ultrasport Women's Melbourne Tennis Dress - White, Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Sports wear with a feminine touch., 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an item that caused some arguments in our household. My wife and both my daughters wanted it, which shows that it is a good quality garment with a nice cut. It is a nicely shaped and feminine sports dress suitable for most exercise, but obviously principally designed for tennis.

My wife won out as the dress size we got was a medium, which corresponds to what we think a size 10. It is quite a body tight fit, which is normal for sports gear of this type and as such not particularly flattering if you are a bit lumpy. Another thing to note is that being white and thin lycra type material it is quite see through so it will need to be worn with a sports bra, underwear and other garments you deem necessary to preserve your modesty. It has all the feature the best modern sports gear has, no irritiating labels, and seams carefully sewn so that they don't rub or chafe.

I think my wife looks great in it, and so would recommend it.

Wahoo RPM Cadence Sensor with Bluetooth Smart and ANT Connectivity - Blue
Wahoo RPM Cadence Sensor with Bluetooth Smart and ANT Connectivity - Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Ease of use at the cost of some accuracy, 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have quite a few Wahoo products, they integrate well with the Wahoo app, and it also shares data with Apple Health, Strava, Myfitnesspal etc. The sensor only measures the rotation speed of your pedals, or cadence as it is known. If you are new to cycling seriously or have had a time away, conventional wisdom has it that you should cycle at a high cadence - known as spinning as it uses your aerobic system and allows you to keep going for a long time, so its an important measure for training and riding.
I've fitted this to my offroad bike and it is an easy install. The device itself is a like a large flat pill and it slips inside a silicon sheath which is cable tied to your pedal shaft. After that you need to sync it to your phone, I recommend using the Wahoo utility for this and then you can add it to workout types in the Wahoo fitness app. I tend to use the Wahoo fitness app as it allows you to share the data where you choose to as a sort of central hub and also vary what sensors you use for different activities, so for my road bike I have configured a RFLKT+, TIKR and Blue SC, for my mountain bike the TIKR and this RPM unit. One word of warning the Wahoo app is not so good for very long rides, I did a 100 mile last year and it crashed part way round, Strava is much better for long rides.

So far I have only given this a little test. It took a while to wake up but gave me some data, cadence is a measure I use as direct feedback, so I looked at the data on my iphone as I peddled, it showed a number that kind of felt right for the speed of my legs and didn't cut out. Wahoo normally send some firmware updates so the glitches reported elsewhere may get fixed. I notice that this RPM unit and the blue SC, which also measures speed and is quite accurate are about the same cost so which to choose. Well the blue SC requires alignment with a couple of magnets and sometimes it doesn't pick them up because they are knocked out of line, this is a much easier install, so I guess the choice is down to whether you prefer ease of fit and a unit you can easily move between bikes or accuracy.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15