Profile for Crazy Seahorse > Reviews

Content by Crazy Seahorse

Crazy Seahorse "Crazy Seahorse" (Cambridge)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Walimex 2-in-1 109cm Reflex and Translucent Umbrella Diffuser - White
Walimex 2-in-1 109cm Reflex and Translucent Umbrella Diffuser - White

5.0 out of 5 stars A good idea, well executed., 8 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This umbrella is a really good idea. It comes in two layers, a thin cotton white inner and a thicker black fabric outer that is coated inside with reflective material. It appears the inner is always present, the outer clip easily around the outside of the spokes and is easy to fit and to remove. It slides up and down like an ordinary umbrella and is mounted on a sturdy shaft so that it can fit easily through the reflector of the studio light.

In terms of performance there is not much to say, the white cotton diffuses well to give soft lighting, and the reflective reflects. I think the inner should remain in place, certainly the product description hints that it does, although there are no instructions.

It comes in its own carry case, which is generously proportioned, so it is not as if you have to fold it round in a certain way to get it back in. All in all it is multi-purpose but delivers what it promises. Recommended.

Walimex Pro VC-400 Excellence Studio Flash
Walimex Pro VC-400 Excellence Studio Flash

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright, fast light, easy to connect too, robust and hardworking., 8 Feb. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you are new to studio photography, like me, then this light is not a bad place to start if you have some more experienced friends around to help you as the instructions are a bit lacking. First thing to note is the size and weight, the unit is quite large and ideally needs its own dedicated stand. Un-boxing is straight forward, you need to un-clip the protective shield, screw in the bulb, and then screw on the reflector dish. Make sure the hole in the dish lines up with the stand so you can put an umbrella through if you want softbox or reflective effects.
Switched on the unit is pretty quiet, and is quite like a projector with a fan running all the time. Incidentally when you switch it off you also need to give it time to cool down first, also like a projector, except this bulb is hot stuff and will need 15 minutes.

Connecting is quite easy with a bit of know how. We tried a PC sync unit plugged into the hot shoe of the camera. We also tried master slave mode from a camera, both a high end Nikon DSLR and a small Olympus tough TG-4, which also has a master slave trigger and both worked well. We did not explore the photocell pre-flash trigger but it has one. I have bought a hot shoe PC sync adapter for my old Canon 350D for about £10 as this seems the simplest way.

We fired the flash quite often and pretty hard, it did not give us any overheating warning beeps, so it is good for its guidelines and will allow you to make a lot of shots. All in all it is a professional level piece of kit, it is well made and feels robust. The control panel is quite straight forward but I am left with the feeling that you really need to know what you are doing to get the best out of it. If you are not a pro then you need to be a keen amateur.

L'Oreal Paris Touche Magique Concealer - Ivory Beige
L'Oreal Paris Touche Magique Concealer - Ivory Beige

5.0 out of 5 stars A good and useful product., 12 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This concealer is quite pale. It is good for touching up and hiding lines and blemishes. My wife and daughters are tending to paint a bit on and then rub it in with a finger and it gives a smooth, blemish free effect that looks good. It is easy to apply and a popular product in our household.
Recommended.

L'oreal Super Liner Black Vinyl Liquid Eye Liner
L'oreal Super Liner Black Vinyl Liquid Eye Liner
Offered by HRD Global Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality., 12 Jan. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This gives a dark black and smudge resistant line for lining around the eyes. The tip for application is quite fine and it goes on accurately and smoothly and gives a good look. It is reasonably water proof and hasn't given the normal panda eyes effect as far as I can tell. There is not much more to say and not a lot not to like. Recommended.

The Sum of All Kisses: Number 3 in series (The Smythe-Smith Quartet)
The Sum of All Kisses: Number 3 in series (The Smythe-Smith Quartet)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable read, 11 Jan. 2016
Love Julia Quinn, another enjoyable read

L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Le Smoky, Black Velour
L'Oreal Paris Color Riche Le Smoky, Black Velour

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 29 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My wife is very keen on this product. It is a pencil like product to give your eyes what is known as a smoky look. It certainly makes the eyes look bigger and delivers the desired smoky look. It was easy to apply and did not feel chalky. The choice of pigments was good and it gave good results with little effort.

My wife suffers from allergies and has very sensitive skin as a result she is not a heavy make-up user. This product has given her no issues at all and she intends to use it frequently. Recommended.

Maybelline Eyestudio Quattro Diamond Glow Shadow 3.7 g 10 Purple Drama
Maybelline Eyestudio Quattro Diamond Glow Shadow 3.7 g 10 Purple Drama

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product, 29 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mrs Seahorse and my daughters are really keen on this. My wife is in her forties and is brunette and the colours on offer here suit her very well. The make-up is strongly pigmented and colours well without needing too much. I am also told that it doesn't feel chalky to use, feels nice to put on and is easy to put on. It certainly looked good, subtle in my opinion and not overbearing. I think it is useful that there are a range of colours in one pack, they all seem to work together.

My wife has very sensitive/ allergic skin and has to be careful with the make-up she uses. There have been no issues with this product at all. She has never used Maybelline as a brand before but likes this product so much she intends to use many more.

AmazonBasics Non Stick Fry Pan, Set of 2
AmazonBasics Non Stick Fry Pan, Set of 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good quality, 28 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of these frying pans. They come in two sizes, which I would describe as small and medium. The small one will fry an egg and that is about it, the medium one would make a frittata for two. The pans are well made and sturdy and the non-stick coating looks reasonably thick. Even so I always buy cheap frying pans, because someone always forgets that they shouldn't use metal and leaves a catch meaning game over. So plastic or wooden utensils only for a long life.

On the underside it is patterned I guess so it does not slip about so much when on an induction hob. The pans have a good weight and feel like a quality item, I particularly like the rubberised grippy handles on them. I would say they are a better quality than similarly priced items from the major UK supermarkets. Very good for the money.

New KS2 Maths and English SATS Practice Papers Pack - for the 2016 SATS and Beyond
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like the real thing, 28 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really good value pack. It contains several SATS maths and english papers of different types and with different timings. We are using it mainly to help pour daughter practise her exam technique. The SATS will be her first ones and we want her to get used to working under time pressure on her own and in silence. There are papers of different lengths and with answers so we can build her up with a short one to start with and then some of the longer ones. Everything is sealed and it comes with answers. I do not have a feel for if these are easier anymore difficult than the real thing and I am taking that on trust.

Anyway these are exactly what we wanted.

FORZA Fitness Raspberry Ketone with Natural Fat Burner Pure Extract Capsules - 90 Capsules
Offered by Forza Supplements

3.0 out of 5 stars No magic pill, 22 Dec. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am not sure these really work. I eat carefully and watch my weight because I cycle a lot, and the less weight I carry the less there is to shift up hill. I took these for review because I thought that if they worked they would help me lose a bit of weight before I put it back on in Christmas week. I am at my heavier winter weight anyway so there was some to lose.

I took these according to the instructions, two capsules twice a day after lunch and breakfast. They don't make you feel really any different, which you might expect as they are supposed to fire your body up for fat burning. They repeat on you a bit, like a cod liver oil tablet does, except these repeats taste of raspberry, which is a fair bit more pleasant than cod liver oil. I also kept to my normal exercise and followed a healthy eating plan that I tracked on my fitness pal. Normally on this plan I would lose 1-2lbs over the course of a week, I reasoned if these tablets worked then I might lose significantly more, in particular over the last year there is a certain weight I have struggled to get past and I hoped these would take me through. I lost weight quite rapidly in the first couple of days. I checked on my scales and it appeared the weight loss was all fat and not just a loss of water. However over the course of the week I did not lose further and lost the normal amount of weight that I would expect to lose.

I expect my initial weight loss was due to me being a bit stricter with the healthy eating at Christmas time than anything else. These aren't a magic pill, even with good healthy eating and exercise regime (about 1.5 hours of cardio most days supplemented with weights) they did not make a difference. Maybe if you have a lot more fat to burn then they might work.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20