Profile for Archie Grimwald > Reviews

Content by Archie Grimwald

Archie Grimwald "Sad old git!" (Essex UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
In A Special Way
In A Special Way

2.0 out of 5 stars Let this go-please!, 22 Mar. 2012
This review is from: In A Special Way (Audio CD)
I purchased this album on vinyl.The shocking fashion choice displayed by the band on the cover suitably reflects the shocking eighties bland R'n'B pop found within.With so much great music on the underground scene at the time I fail to grasp why anyone beyond band members and their relatives would want to buy this re-release. This album was isuedon the coat tails of the dreadful hit track Rhythm of the Night from the previous album which was apparently massive on the west coast of the US at the time.I recall a record by The Jets (Crush On You) which was equally hideous.I am assuming this release is aimed at LA where some deluded fans might still exist. A definite sample before buy album.Everything wrong with eighties music is very nicely summed up within this over produced album from the dreadful synth hand claps on dance tracks to the treacly vocals on the ballads. It is all right here in a very un-special way or maybe I missed the point? To be fair Chico Debarge has redeemed the family's honour with his recent albums which are a much better choice.

What Were You Hoping for
What Were You Hoping for
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars What exactly was I hoping for???, 22 Mar. 2012
I purchased this 'blind' (or should that be 'deaf'?) based purely on the originality of Van Hunt's previous work and I salute Van Hunt for his efforts. This album continues to expand and develop the Van Hunt sound which really is not like anything else around that I am aware of.Within this set exists a rawness within the music which actually in a strange way gives it an element of tenderness in the simplicity of the recording methods used to capture it. It ranges from the drum led /new wave track North Hollywood to the punk rock of Watching You Go Crazy which has some nice drumming by Ruthie Price (I believe?). The musical journey through the streets of LA continues with the pulsing drum and rock guitar led Designer Jeans (have we driven to Hollywood?) followed by Plum which has a Prince like vibe within its narrative.From nowhere comes Falls (Violet) which I would describe as a modern country style ballad which works well.Moving Targets is a piano led 'typical?' Van Hunt style ballad where Mr.Hunts vocal skills really shine-a beautiful love song with some more admirable drumming in the background. Eyes Like Pearls ups the tempo with some dirty rock led guitar riffs which reminds me a little of Lenny Kravitz'z sound ;his latest album is also applaudable for it attempts to do things a bit different just like this one.The track 'A Time Machine Is My New Girlfriend has a slight Iggy Pop/Ramones edge to it. What Where You Hoping For is a piece of social commentary in a style of a funky rock riff with almost a pop feel to it.Cross Dresser raised an interesting new wave analysis of the subject matter with the final track being It's A Mysterious Hustle concluding the set with a drum led simplistic melody which has an indie edge to it. I hope this gives a feel of the album which to use a cliché does not limit itself with any musical boundaries. Some of these tracks could definitely be remixed and produced into some chart viable material but that would genuinely be a shame and would also miss the entire point! The refreshing thing about this album is that it actually has a point compared to much of the bland 21st. century sounds around at the moment. Take a tour of the darker side of LA, taste the poverty and weirdness of the experience by giving this album a listen.The picture on the cover really sums it up quite nicely.Please keep doing what your doing Mr. Hunt- I predict the world will start to catch on by about album number six.

Lovin' Man
Lovin' Man
Offered by ** Good4Books UK ** !!! SALE !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Underrated classic of the eighties, 15 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Lovin' Man (Audio CD)
L.J. Reynolds pedigree with The Dramatics is unquestionable but the big question is did his solo efforts match up to the timeless vocals displayed in the band? Well this release, which I have been searching for since a vinyl purchase many years ago, answers the question. At the time I purchased this on a British label and I believe copies became somewhat limited due to the lack of interest in his music at the time. The trouble was that the club based synth driven melody with an electronic hand clap driven dance rhythm was what punters wanted at the time on the dance floor. This album was a compromise between the soulful vocals of Mr. Reynolds paired up with this, the vibe that pervades in most dance music from the period. The vocals displayed are far superior to the production on a number of tracks but the time that this was released should be taken into account before any judgement is made.Overall this is a well balanced,solid soul music set.Amongst a few average eighties dance/R'n'B tracks are scattered some real gems such as 'Don't let Nobody Hold You Down' and 'Love Takes 2'. The bonus tracks add an extra collector/'Dynamics fan' dimension;'Tell Me You Will'being the strongest because it is a ballad and clearly the soul ballad is where Mr. Reynolds shines.As a fan of this album I am pleased to purchase a CD copy as I really enjoyed it at the time and it provides some welcome nostalgia.However, for the new listener I recommend you try before you buy but please do give the stronger tracks a few listens as they definitely do grow on you!

Original Album Series (5 Pack)
Original Album Series (5 Pack)
Offered by Great Price Media EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this, 18 Feb. 2012
If you are not familiar with the works of Donny Hathaway you really should be. Five pretty much classic album for a tenner.A definate no brainer! Seriously if you like the sound of sweet piano led soulful vocals with a gospel tinge then Donny has never been bettered.I am thrilled and amazed at the quality of this purchase. Was it really fourty years ago? TIMELESS AND BEAUTIFUL.Cannot beleive others have marked this below five stars.

Fly Me To The Moon/My Prescription
Fly Me To The Moon/My Prescription

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of a lifetime affair with soul, 24 Jan. 2012
Mr. Womack's first two albums in one package - another Womagic, soul, no-brainer. 'Stateside' have released a series of these double albums and with the name Bobby Womack on them they are all well worth a listen.(Communications is a lil' bit country so you may want to listen before you buy). Hard to believe these are from 1968 and 69. This CD demonstrates exactly what is wrong with modern music. I know I am a grumpy old man but check out the production, lyrics, orchestration and pure soul of these tunes and you may start to understand my point.Bobby's guitar skills are also noteworthy as he is a great musivcian aswell as a great singer. You may be put off by the pub singer inclination of 'Fly Me To The Moon' but if you know his version of California Dreamin' you can rest assured Booby sings any classic as only he can.The song Arkansas State Prison is reason enough to buy this set. I have liked Bobby Womack for thirty years and I always will.I find myself returning to is music over and over again because the soul within really is timeless. Rumour has it he is about to release a new album with Damon Albarn which if the Gorrillaz track Stylo is anything to go by should revive Bobby's career at the age of sixty seven.I for one am very excited at the prospect of new material -spread the word and let's make the new album a hit.

Slingshot
Slingshot

4.0 out of 5 stars MH-What where you thinking???, 2 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Slingshot (Audio CD)
This is a farly typical RnB album for 1981 made exceptional by Mr.Henderson displaying his budgie-smugglers on the cover!Oh dear, oh dear! In hindsight I would suspect there might be regrets about this choice of photograph but it certainly made me chuckle.I cannot believe US reviewers ignore this cover.It's a classic.
To the music: tracks 1 and 6 are quite dated funky synth hand clap led stompers typical of the post disco music at the time.Track 7 offers a slightly more appealing approach which stands the test as a club dancer a bit better. The rest of the set is ballad led which I presume was the thinking behing a 'sexy??' cover.Track 5 is a curious cover of the Walker Brothers 'Take It Easy On Yourself' which to be honest does little to alter the arrangement of the original which begs the question why include it? The addition of Phyllis Hyman assisting on vocals always ups the stakes in my opinion. For the pleasant ballads, Phyllis and the Speedos I have given an additional star.Not really a bad album for its time!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars My special place!, 1 Jan. 2012
This T Shirt is my favourite of all time.Whenever I wear it I am taken away to a magical land where Unicorns roam free amongst ancient castles.In this land I am a special Princess who wanders the mountainous land casting happy spells to all my subjects who worship the ground I walk on by scattering rose petals at my feet whilst they cry with undying love for me.If you want to feel special I thoroughly recommend you buy this T Shirt.It is not only beautiful; it is also truly amazing.

Ghetto-Ology/Dub
Ghetto-Ology/Dub

5.0 out of 5 stars Minott's roots legacy, 19 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Ghetto-Ology/Dub (Audio CD)
Words cannot express how I feel about this album.For me the unique combination of joyful reggae rhythm combined with some intricate musicianship makes this one of the strongest albums of all time and not just in a reggae album chart.Truly a ghetto classic which at the time I did not really appreciate.This album is more than just roots reggae, perhaps it could almost be described as folk reggae.I purchased this on vinyl when Trojan first released it in the Uk in the vividly coloured Jamaican food stall cover around 1979.This version has (I believe)the original cover and it includes sublime dubs of the Studio One rhythms.Sugar's subtle vocals pour out a cathartic set expressing the true feeling of suffering endured by kids in the ghetto at the time (or so I have to imagine).You can almost sense a feeling of comfort that stems from the content of this album which I imagine was semi-biographical for Minott as he penned these sincere expressions of sufferation and starvation in the ghetto.Sugar Minott has never really aspired to the heights of Dennis Brown or Gregory Isaacs outside of Jamaica which is a real shame as proudly demonstrated by this album.Yes he went on to tear up the dance hall with some fantastic tunes but this subtle,gentle album was the benchmark set for many roots artists who never aspired to this level. This still sounds incredibly fresh now. If you want a genuine all time top ten reggae album candidate then this would struggle to fall below number 3 in my book. Reggae for the roots connoisseur.Essential!

New York Lounge Funk
New York Lounge Funk

5.0 out of 5 stars Good album-maybe not the best title??, 24 July 2011
This review is from: New York Lounge Funk (Audio CD)
As the previous reviewer has highlighted this album does not contain any downright,dirty funk but what it does contain is some really nice laid back summer jazzy R'n'B grooves which I personally would exepct as it refers to 'lounge music' in the title.I accessed their website to gain incite into the band via the biogrphy.The bands is led by Klive D from the UK who apparently gave everything up for music and landed in France to write some songs.He eventually got to NY and hooked up with some musicians incuding Maya Azacena (who had a nice solo project called Junkyard Jewel out a few years ago! Junkyard Jewel ).The aim then was to define the sound that is 'New York Lounge Funk' and thus the creation of this album which was to contain proper horns and real musicians playing semi-live to get a groove feeling going on.
The opening track is a very likable dancer.Similarly the vibe of 'Happy' is just that.This is great music for driving on a summers day, windows down and the volume up! A more jazzy vibe on the slower Natural High which has some nice guitar work in the background.In fact the musicianship and production are smoooth through out the entire set.The track Glow continues the jazzy vibe over a funky bassline.A nice laid back semi-ballad is found in Fly with some sweet vocals.The slower jazz vibe continues on Night and Day which showcases the beautiful vocals even more.
The track Time is probably my favourite ballad.'Grip' ups the laid back tempo a little before we enter a slightly more latin disco based dancer 'Feel';rounding of the set with the wonderful groovey laid back'Don't Kill The Girls'which is the finale with lush orchestrations and jazzy trumpet.A really nice slice of lounge funk! This whole set is enjoyable if you want to kick back and relax on a summer's day.Maybe spark up the BBQ and just chillax with some friends.A good comparison would be somehwere between the works of Incognito and the jazzier side of Swing Out Sister. I can imagine this album doing well in Japan where they have a liking for this kind of club groove.Maybe not an imaganative title but now you know why and I would say it is very accurate.Sample first and (I predict)enjoy if you like the sound of this from my review.

Mahalo Black LP Style Ukulele
Mahalo Black LP Style Ukulele
Offered by Normans Musical Instruments

5.0 out of 5 stars Set me on a uke journey, 11 May 2011
My son bought me this uke and for a beginner it works just fine.He is the musician and he has tuned it properly and all is well.This middle aged,tone deaf,sausage-fingered beginner is getting a few tunes out of it after a couple of months which is all you need to know.For the price it is reasonably sturdy and the tuners are of sufficient quality to kold the tuning very well in my opinion. An electronic tuner is well worth buying with a uke,it saves a lot of trial and error.Loads of tabs/chords online and if you always wanted to play something but thought you couldn't,this is just the trick.Buy one-it will give you pleasure and please ignore all the tired and obvious George Formby jokes which do wear a bit thin if you 'fess up' to playing a uke.For the record he actually played a banjolele.
A year later I have purchased a slightly better tenor uke becuase I feel I have improved enough to give it justice.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2015 12:00 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20