Profile for Dave Carter > Reviews

Content by Dave Carter

Dave Carter "Dave Carter" (Woodford Green, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Miles High (Jewel Case)
Miles High (Jewel Case)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lemon Records get it right for once!, 14 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Miles High (Jewel Case) (Audio CD)
I really did fear the worst as I put this new CD of Miles High into my player, as in the past "Lemon Recordings" have infamously used very substandard sources for some of their John Miles catalogue reissues. Half expecting to hear a crackly vinyl rip like their dreadful Zaragon CD, I gradually became blown away by the fact that this one has actually been mastered properly, and from what could well be the original master tapes! The sound quality is faultless, no needle-noise or distortion to be found anywhere. Well, this album came out just before the CD format emerged, and it's taken all of this time to get the CD standard version it deserves. What a result after 35 years!
I'm so overjoyed at this I can't bring myself to give the album less than five stars, although in truth it was never quite as good as Zaragon or MMPH, partly because of the dodgy disco entry "Dancing For Joy" which torpedos the otherwise rocking original album halfway through side two. It could have been worse though; the bonus track "Closer to You" was apparently on the US version of the LP and is even more naff; the type of syrupy Stevie Wonder-like tosh which John unfortunately gravitated towards later on.
But of course apart from that, Miles High is just one great piece of music after another. Fabulous singing, brilliant guitar playing, wonderful songwriting; and this release is highly recommended.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2016 12:04 PM GMT

Steady Rollin' Man
Steady Rollin' Man

4.0 out of 5 stars The Snapper 2CD Steady Rollin' Man is NOT Speed Adjusted., 29 Feb. 2016
This review is from: Steady Rollin' Man (Audio CD)
The recordings on this Snapper 1999 2CD SET (which is ironically entitled "Steady Rollin' Man") run at exactly the same speed/pitch as every other Robert Johnson compilation I've ever heard on CD; that is to say they are obviously mastered way too fast. People may have got used to this silly situation over the years, but here it still sounds like Bob's playing a mandolin at times rather than a big old acoustic guitar, and often like he's singing rather too rapidly on helium gas. Too much of this effect can do your head in, believe me. A dodgy review on Amazon.com led me to think this CD had been speed and pitch adjusted down to sound more natural (as per the stunning examples to be found on You Tube) but no, it certainly has not! (And nowhere is this actually claimed on the product, to be fair.) How very misleading...
Well then, a star rating for a Robert Johnson collection? You'll either love or hate it, I guess. This at least has the full 42 tracks in a logical sequence; and the sound quality is fairly clear and open, unlike some collections where they've cranked it up so much you can really hear the noise of that vinyl / wax cylinder / parchment, or whatever the hell it was recorded on. I'll dock a star, basically because they still didn't bother to get the damned speed right.

Are We Still Rolling?: Studios, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll - One Man's Journey Recording Classic Albums
by Phill Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars The Show doesn't quite live up to the Billing..., 3 Feb. 2016
If like myself you were drawn in by the advertised promise of Led Zep, Traffic, Floyd, Hendrix and the like, beware. Because there ain't much of that stuff here, at all. What you actually get with infinitely greater detail and quantity is Robert Palmer, Murray Head (?), Bob Bloody Marley and other over-rated-under-rated tosh like Talk Talk. Oh, and who could forget Fusanosuke Kondo, that famous Japanese Blues Artist? Also the constant emphasis on SM57 microphones, etc, will probably only mean anything to other audio tech geeks, and rather wear down anybody else who's trying to wade through it.
This is quite an interesting book on a human level, as a life story and for the trials the guy clearly went through; although even that aspect of it eventually turns into just one long whingefest. I had been about to buy Glyn Johns' book beforehand, but some reviewers suggested this one was a lot better? God help the Glyn Johns book, in that case.

Oranges & Lemons [CD + BluRay]
Oranges & Lemons [CD + BluRay]

5.0 out of 5 stars May require Software Upgrade to play the BluRay on a PC., 10 Dec. 2015
I read of some issues with the BluRay disc, and you may possibly need to upgrade some software to be able to play this on a computer. I first tried this on my PC using PowerDVD13 which said it was updating the necessary AACS key, but afterwards it still wouldn't run Upgraded to PowerDVD15 (which I was going to do anyway) and all plays perfectly. Album sounds fantastic and well worth it!

The Lost Weekend [DVD]
The Lost Weekend [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Milland

5.0 out of 5 stars Sobering Thoughts., 6 Nov. 2015
This review is from: The Lost Weekend [DVD] (DVD)
Terrifying, but essential viewing for those who doubt the creeping influence of the Demon Alcohol.
This could happen to anyone. Just a few little twists in your own life and you could be there, or somewhere like it.
Go on, enjoy yourself...

A Conspiracy Of Stars
A Conspiracy Of Stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Maybe the best UFO album since Walk on Water..., 4 Mar. 2015
This review is from: A Conspiracy Of Stars (Audio CD)
Should this one turn out to be their final album then they're really going out on a high; I have already played it through more times than the last three. Phil might look a little knackered but he is sounding here incredibly like he did 30 years ago or more (lucky he remembered to put his teeth in) and his lyrical insight too is as brilliant as ever. Overall it reminds me of Obsession as it is consistently bloody good without too many actual peaks. Devil in the Detail sounds like it could even be from an Obsession session. Or is it a progression? Anyway, others have extolled the many great virtues on Conspiracy of Stars, so I feel like throwing in a few left-field criticisms which for me prevent it from getting the full five, er, Stars:
I guess Vinnie can't win by either sounding or not sounding like Mr.Schenker anymore. This time I think he's gone slightly too far towards imitation and because his guitar tone doesn't really match up, the result can be a bit ambiguous. And on a couple of the guitar tracks did the engineer forget to press the stop button or what? That untidy stuff at the end ain't likely to age very well...
Phil's habit of sometimes getting stuck on the same note reaches a new nadir with Messiah of Love; otherwise a promising track, he could be described as singing the same note here about 34 times in a row which, the last time I looked, does not constitute a tune! I know he's been doing that a lot ever since Misdemeanor but other notes are available... Paul Raymond at last gets to add more of his stylish keyboards and synths to proceedings but, according to the sleeve credits, only adds rhythm guitar and backing vocals to ONE track - so who shall we get to do the other ten tracks? Is that tea boy still here we used last time? More Paul = more UFO!... Up-beat "bonus" track King of the Hill should've been on the album proper at about track 5 to vary the pace of the album just a little...
And lastly, why doesn't Andy Parker do The Andy Parker Signature Snare Drum Roll anymore? You know, the one that went gadug, gadug, gadug-a-duga. I do miss that...

Pawn Hearts
Pawn Hearts

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best (of course) - But is this edition Copy Protected??, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Pawn Hearts (Audio CD)
Brilliant album; Prog Masterpiece etc,etc: But, I've now bought two of these "remastered" Pawn Hearts CD's about 6 months apart and they've both unfailingly become corrupted when ripping them as compressed files. The CD itself plays perfectly but the ripped files are rendered totally unlistenable, with all kinds of nasty distortion spoiling the show. My Experience (!) is that all the other albums of this VDGG reissue series are fine in that regard and there's no mention of copy protection on this CD or anywhere else, but unfortunately that's what I've found anyway. So if you're buying this one purely with a view to enjoying it on your handy personal Walkman-type-thing, then sadly I prophesy disaster, and a silent scream...I'd buy the MP3's instead.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2016 10:30 AM GMT

One Live Badger
One Live Badger

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual, for want of a far better word..., 19 Jan. 2015
This review is from: One Live Badger (Audio CD)
Although I was aware of this recording for decades, it's only recently that something finally prompted me to seek it out and listen. I now regret all those years of loving it which I've missed out on...
I'm certain I'm not alone in that. Maybe just the fact of it being Live has historically put people off; and there's also the fact it was taped at the same gig as most of "Yessongs" which I always thought sounded pretty rough! Against the odds though, the recording quality of One Live Badger is far superior to the aforementioned live Yes offerings, and the quality of the songs and musicianship is right up there with them. For a start it's just a thrill to hear Tony Kaye brilliantly playing all kinds of Synths and Mellotrons, just after refusing to do so had lost him his gig with Yes! Badger may not have had a one in a million singer like Jon, but all of the band sound superb at what they do and this is one of the best live albums I've ever heard. Of course it would be nice to hear studio versions with production overdubs and sound effects etc to compare it with, but surprisingly this album is a complete Diamond in its own right. Some may have been critical of a religious aspect to the lyrics, but these are all open to interpretation just as Jon Anderson's are; in fact the lyrics just make you feel positive about life and they really lift you up! But having said that, the final track with its exquisite "On my way to Heaven.." three-part harmony climax could almost make a convert out of this here Atheist...
In style and content I'd compare these songs more to the Baker Gurvitz Army than to Yes; and there's some continuity there as apparently Brian Parrish (Ilford's finest) went on to join forces with Paul Gurvitz (Gants Hill Hairdresser) in a pre-Baker Gurvitz Army line up... The Ilford Sound is so under-rated in Progressive Rock! Don't make the same mistake as me with this fantastic album - buy it now and start enjoying it!!

Casino Royale [DVD] [1967]
Casino Royale [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ David Niven

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Candidate for Worst Movie Ever., 17 April 2014
This review is from: Casino Royale [DVD] [1967] (DVD)
Yes, this really is one ghastly, unwatchable film. Just tried it again to make sure before I chuck out the DVD. Utter bilge. I don't care if it was meant to be ironic - it's literally painful to look at and the recurring "theme tune" will drive you insane.
If I have to give it all of one star then I guess that's a half for Woody Allen's few minutes on screen, and half for Deborah Kerr who was at least by then a World Class M.I.L.F.
Reusing the title for the Daniel Craig film was quite a gamble, looking back at it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2015 6:21 PM GMT

Turn Of The Tide
Turn Of The Tide

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, as long as you Delete Track 2..., 17 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Turn Of The Tide (Audio CD)
I discovered the delights of BJH in the year 1980 with the release of Eyes of the Universe, courtesy of the great Alan Freeman's radio show, and instantly went back into all the great stuff they'd done before. This put me in a state of great anticipation for their next album, which of course became Turn of the Tide. I recall being slightly disappointed with it overall but not being sure why exactly. It wasn't as good as Eyes that's for sure, although there was obviously a lot of great music on it. They even used Death of a City on BBC's Not the Nine O'Clock News program and I still can't hear that track without picturing Rowan Atkinson walking into a lamp post...
I would've played the vinyl a fair bit in the 80s but then probably didn't listen to the full album again for about 25 years, as the original CD release seemed to vanish and I only just got hold of this "remastered" reissue once the price had come down. (None of these Esoteric Remasters sound any different to the earlier Polydor disks by the way - save your money:)
As soon as I played the CD again I immediately knew what the problem had been with this album all along - Track 2 - "How Do You Feel Now? I feel sick, since you ask! What a bloody awful song that is. After a great atmospheric opening track from Les which should have set us up for an album of cerebral pop-rock classics, you get this boring, way too personal and literal insight into the lead guitarist's wife who's finally managing to squirt out a baby after years of "trying". What a picture that paints... And they were now attempting to be more commercial with this stuff? I'm obviously more cynical in my old age but what kind of Artie Fufkin record executive would've agreed to that kind of blatant self indulgence, even then?! Far too much Charlie going round in those days, obviously...
However, if you do delete that dreadfully duff track two, the effect on the rest of the album is highly redeeming - all the rest of the songs are very good to great apart from that stinker. They could even have sequenced it nearer the end of the album and done less damage, that's where most of John Lees' "novelty" songs were prone to appearing: think "Panic", "Inside My Night Mare" etc. To be fair on average I usually prefer John's songs even to those of Mr Holroyd, but what a different story this could've been with a real John Lees classic coming in burning on Track Two.
Well, I'm so glad I got that off my chest after all these years! I know, I really should get out more.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5