Profile for Michael Bironneau > Reviews

Content by Michael Bironneau

Michael Bironneau (Loughborough, UK)

MATLAB Primer, Eighth Edition
MATLAB Primer, Eighth Edition
by Timothy A. Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect memory jogger, 23 April 2014
I bought this book to jog my memory for a new job where Matlab, which I had only used on and off, was an essential tool. It's very thin but it did the job of refreshing my knowledge and cutting down massively on the number of times I had to google things. Very well structured and easy to find information using the index.

SQL Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly))
SQL Cookbook (Cookbooks (O'Reilly))
by Anthony Molinaro

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 23 April 2014
I bought this as a quick reference for my job. I find it very helpful and some of the tricks, explained concisely and with easy-to-follow examples, saved me a lot of time. The comparison of solutions for various DB provides (Oracle, SQL Server...) is very clear and also serves as an interesting point of reference for someone who is comparing providers. Some statistical functions are supported out of the box in Oracle, while they are not in SQL Server, for example.

However, I would like to have seen a brief discussion of the impact of window functions on performance in addition to (or instead of) the needlessly abstract explanations in the appendix. More generally, some quick tips on optimizing the performance of queries would have been helpful, and could have been done without straying beyond the scope of the book. That said, from the point of view of a developer in need of quick answers this book does exactly what it promises - helps the reader rapidly identify a solution to most problems involving SQL databases.

Inov8 Race Elite 16 Litre Running Backpack - One
Inov8 Race Elite 16 Litre Running Backpack - One

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for commuting, 23 April 2014
I use this for runs as part of my commute. It's light, water resistant (the stuff inside survived some torrential downpours), and has plenty of space. Only downside is I can't tighten the chest straps as much as I would like to due to neck chafing with the shoulder straps, but that's a relatively minor concern as running with the chest strap loose is still comfortable.

Scholl Gel Arch Supports
Scholl Gel Arch Supports
Offered by Allcures com (2006) Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 18 Nov. 2010
I bought these arch supports after suffering from a hiking-induced bout of plantar fasciitis. A few weeks ago even walking around Sainsbury's produced discomfort in the heel area. Bottom line: I put the inserts in my hiking boots and went on a 4-hour hike yesterday and have felt no pain neither during or after the hike. While the inserts themselves did take a bit of getting used to, after an hour or so the gel must have softened up and I no could no longer tell that they were there.

One piece of advice, however: Make sure the insert is pointing the right way up when it goes into your shoe otherwise the toe part and the heel part will be interchanged, which is obviously uncomfortable. Because the insert is almost symmetric it does take more than a quick glance to tell which side is which.

Triathletes Training Bible
Triathletes Training Bible
by Joe Friel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information, great presentation, 13 May 2008
My only regret is not having bought this book earlier.

I've been running for a year and now I want to train for triathlon. I bought this book hoping to find some guidance, and I found much more. This book:

-Focuses on every aspect of training, or as the author says "eating, living, and sleeping triathlon"
-Exposes and explains rigorous yet simple training methods and plans for complete novices or experienced competitors
-Gives tips on running/biking/swimming technique
-Gives specific details regarding ironman triathlon (e.g. specific pre-race nutrition)
-ALWAYS backs arguments up with studies and other forms of evidence
-Has appendices with workout plans, workout journals, yearly workout planning sheets, and more

Furthermore, I found the presentation of the book very enjoyable (easygoing style of writing, many charts/graphics to aid comprehension).

The eBay Business Handbook: How Anyone can Build a Business and Make Money on eBay.co.uk
by Robert Pugh

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very useful, 28 Sept. 2007
I bought this book two days ago hoping to find a bit of a reference manual to selling things on e-bay as I'd like to start up a part-time business. I ended up reading through all of it in just one day. The author's friendly and unassuming tone makes the book a very pleasant read, and the information contained is not only well-categorized, well-presented, and useful, but the author also includes some of his own "aha!" moments as tips. The first few pages of the book, presented in the format of a diary, were very informative in that they give a glimpse of what I should expect should I decide to seriously enter into the ebay world.

There is not a single wasted page in this book. It belongs on the bookshelf of anyone who wants to sell things on e-bay.