Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "jockmcnasty" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
DOD LS300W Car Dashboard Camera Full HD 1080p Advanced WDR Super Night Vision 2.7 Inch LCD 140 Degree Lens G-sensor Motion Detection
Offered by HAMSWAN

4.0 out of 5 stars As a dash cam only - it's great, 29 Jan 2014
Why not 5 stars ? - because I'm comparing this to what I had before , which was a Veho Muvi HD

a) video quality is excellent , especially in low light , the Muvi got very grainy in low light levels.
b) onboard battery is very small , so it always needs a permanent external power supply. The Muvi could run for about 3 hours with screen turned off, but the Muvi would not operate with power attached.
c) only really usable as a dash cam , it comes with the screen sucker as shown. The Muvi was small and discreet , and came with quite a range of mounts, included a wireless remote. I used the Muvi on my motorbike , I don't think I would use this on it - it would need a bit of faff wiring it in as well as a decent mounting.

At £98 it gives a lot of performance , but do I really need a GoPro ??

Veho VCC-005-MUVI-HD10 Muvi HD 1080p Mini Handsfree Camcorder with Remote Control and Wide Angle Lens (4GB Memory Card)
Offered by Refresh Cartridges

4.0 out of 5 stars Some great features but ..., 29 Dec 2013
In good light the picture quality is excellent, and you get quite a few mounting options in the kit , plus the remote wireless control is handy too. It's also half the price of a GoPro.

Factors against - you can't operate it while charging - this is probably its biggest drawback. Picture quality can get a bit jelly like when motion is very fast , so this probably wouldn't be so good for fast sports. Quality really drops off in low light conditions.

The microphone isn't that great , but what do you expect for such a small unit and front mounted microphone.

My one actually broke - the USB connector seems to have come loose , and I am not a ham-fisted numpty shoving the USB cable in , and I am in two minds about getting another or getting a GoPro. Since I use it on my motorbike and in my car I'd have to pay extra for the various GoPro mounts.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 4:04 PM BST

D-link Wireless N Adsl2+ 4-port Modem Router Dsl-2740r - Wireless Router - Dsl - 802.11b/g/n (draft
Offered by NETWORK LTD

1.0 out of 5 stars zero marks for customer support, 2 Oct 2013
Had this router for a month or so , then it kept randomly rebooting and dropping the wireless signal.

I work in IT support so I do know what to do and what I'm talking about , but trying to get through to customer support via D-Link's very poor website was very frustrating.

I was given two links to two different releases of firmware and told to try them both. One was a correct '.bin' file , the other was a RAR archive. I queried what order, and what about the RAR archive, and did these releases address issues with losing wireless or rebooting.

The answer was that the thing shouldn't reboot or go wrong at all unless it was overheating ...

I went through the hoops and applied later firmware but still no solution , and after a lot of to and fro eventually convinced support to admit that it was a faulty unit and to arrange an RMA.

Finally got the RMA paperwork through , but am supposed to pay postage to return it. First company I have come across that required you to do that - usually they arrange a courier pickup.

You can be sure I will not be getting any D-Link equipment ever again ...

Here's an update. After 14 days it suddenly turned up at their facility , and a replacement was sent by courier. All very hopeful I thought.

They sent the older model. With the original I could connect wirelessly at 300 mbps , with this replacement in exactly the same setup and location the maximum connection I get is 130 mbps..

Betjeman's Britain [VHS] [1981]
Betjeman's Britain [VHS] [1981]

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 10 Jan 2012
I bought this hoping it would be the shorts produced by Charles Wallace using Peter Cook , Eric Morecambe etc dramatising some of JB poems.

It wasn't , just a poorly produced 'documentary'

Let Them Talk [Special Edition]
Let Them Talk [Special Edition]

3.0 out of 5 stars Want to like it more , but I can't ., 10 Jan 2012
I like Hugh Laurie. He's clever and talented and seems like a good bloke.

Listening to this album though, for me he comes with baggage since I keep remembering all the parody songs he used to do on piano and guitar on 'A Bit of Fry and Laurie'. You can still find all these on Youtube.

So I have to keep putting them to the back of my mind, and think 'this is real'.

His accent jars as well, I still can't think of it as 'American' , and this is the baggage which comes from 'House'.

I wonder what anyone thinks who has never seen or heard Hugh Laurie before?

Final reason why I want to like it more but I can't is some of the production/arrangement/musicianship isn't that great.

It's jazz/blues so should be loose , but on several tracks you get the impression (for example) there's a bloke with a guitar and he's determined to play it a bit on a song , when it doesn't need it.

It reminds me of Paul MacCartney saying of George Harrison that when MacCartney started playing the opening of 'Hey Jude' , George wanted to put a bit of guitar 'twiddle' at the end of each line - which just wouldn't be right.

Despite all this , there are some great songs , just disappointing that Hugh was short-changed on the production and musicians somewhat.

Dynamode 3.5" IDE Interface Disk Enclosure (discontinued by manufacturer)
Dynamode 3.5" IDE Interface Disk Enclosure (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and nasty, 2 Dec 2008
It's cheap and looks it. Only plus point is mine had SATA as well as IDE interface. To fit my WD 320GB disk in I had to break two plugs from the cheap plastic end piece.

The power connector looks like end-of-box PS/2 connectors (who uses these nowadays) , and didn't fit tightly.

You get what you pay for.

Morph The Cat [U.S Version]
Morph The Cat [U.S Version]

4.0 out of 5 stars Just keep playing it !, 9 April 2008
Well , I've read all the comments about 'finely-crafted' , all the name-dropping about who's a better bass-player etc etc, and so what?
Yes, I'm a DAN fan and have the complete works (what DAN fan doesn't?)
First impressions weren't good, but as so many other reviews have said , it really grows on you, so keep playing it! There are weak songs to my taste (Security Joan, Brite Nightgown), and there are weaknesses in some tracks where the 'solos' just go nowhere, and there's the awful brass on Morph the Cat playout which sounds like my cat on a bad day. Then there's "What I Do" which is far away the one with immediate appeal which can pale after too many plays, but Pagoda of Funn is the outstanding track of the album, albeit slightly overlong, which I would never tire of. Would I recommend the album? - definitely , and not just to DAN fans.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2009 12:53 PM BST

Songs The Bonzo Dog Band Taught us
Songs The Bonzo Dog Band Taught us

3.0 out of 5 stars As a Bonzos fan , why would you buy this?, 9 April 2008
I don't wish to be negative , rather informative. As a long time Bonzos fan who has all the Bonzos stuff on vinyl and CD I read all the helpful reviews and bought the CD.

There are some great tracks on here, but for every one the Bonzos covered I couldn't help but think the Bonzos versions were so much better and had so much more energy and inventiveness.

So in that respect, the experience is a little disappointing, which is perhaps inevitable when you hear a favourite song done by someone else. I don't want to put anyone off but I didn't anticipate this when I bought the CD.

All credit to those who put the compilation together, but I did think the CD was slightly expensive for what was on there - a bunch of old mono recordings. Pour L'Amour Des Chiens is 9.98 and you get full CD , DVD and great booklet too!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 12, 2014 2:00 PM BST

Pour L'amour Des Chiens + DVD
Pour L'amour Des Chiens + DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely worth getting, 4 Jan 2008
As a long time fan since the days of 'Please Do Not Adjust Your Set' (check out the old videos on youtube ! ) , I also approached this album with trepidation. Having all the other Bonzos output, it's noticeable how more sophisticated the music and arrangements became, and I used to play the three CD Cornology box set and experience a real sense of loss for how good the Bonzos and Viv Stanshall used to be.

This CD yields a real mixture of all the styles the Bonzos used to do , from the straight traditional 1920s "Let's all go to Mary's House", through to Neil's 'rather soppy' ballad of 'Early Morning Train' (with great vocal interjections from Ade Edmondson).

In fact, Ade Edmondson is a worthy addition to the group, and having seen a clip of Stephen Fry doing Rhinocratic Oaths, I wondered if it might have been good to have a bit more of him on the CD - doing new stuff of course, because this CD is very much Bonzos 2.0
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 22, 2010 3:14 PM BST

Bacon's Up-to-Date Map of London 1902
Bacon's Up-to-Date Map of London 1902
by G W Bacon
Edition: Map

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 31 May 2006
This was described as a 'very detailed map' . I found it quite disappointing that such an interesting object is so poorly reproduced.

Much of the fine detail , street names in particular , is quite indistinct.

Whether this is due to the printing process or initial copying of the original map , or paper chosen for it I do not know.

Or maybe I got a bad print.

Had I seen this map in a book shop I would not have bought it after opening it up.

It's a shame and a lost opportunity. Perhaps it should have been reproduced at a much larger scale after clarification of the original image.

Page: 1 | 2