Profile for johndglynn > Reviews

Content by johndglynn

johndglynn "Classic Porsche Blogger" (Banbury, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Sony CMTS20B All-in-One Audio System with DAB
Sony CMTS20B All-in-One Audio System with DAB

2.0 out of 5 stars The last Sony hifi I'll be buying, 13 Oct. 2014
I bought a Sony CMT-S20B from an eBay seller in March 2014. It's done a good job in our kitchen for six months but now failed on one channel with only distortion and white noise.

Been great on DAB reception in a marginal area for DAB. Not tried it on FM as why would you need that with 6music. CD sound quality brilliant.

Not that many annoyances regarding operation. One bugbear is that the stereo will always start on CD if there's a CD in the tray, even if it was switched off on DAB. Takes a while to load a CD so you have 30 seconds of standing there waiting to switch it on to DAB. It won;t eject the CD until it has loaded it. Small thing but nonetheless frustrating.

The tiny one-line display does not have enough characters for full DAB display, so that is also annoying when trying to tune.

My main issue with the unit is failure after six months - same as our last Sony unit. Also had a few problems with some Sony home cinema kit and a Vaio laptop. Clearly not the brand it once was.

Freecom Datatank 1TeraByte USB2.0 & FireWire 400/800
Freecom Datatank 1TeraByte USB2.0 & FireWire 400/800

1.0 out of 5 stars Freecom Customer Service - what a joke, 30 Aug. 2012
I had owned this product 14 months when the power supply failed. After reading previous reviews, I contacted Freecom customer service and asked for their help.

The first agent I dealt with was quite helpful. He told me what pins and voltages to check and verified the power supply had failed.

I was asked to send proof of purchase, which took me a few days as it was in the accounts. I ended up with a second agent who sent me a series of cut and paste disclaimers before telling me to buy a power supply on eBay or Amazon. They have an online shop but that is no help.

What a let down: I would not recommend this company or their products. I replaced it with a super-silent Iomega 2TB drive. It is a revelation versus the Freecom, which was always very noisy and consequently spent most of the time turned off!

Canon i-SENSYS MF4120 (A4) Mono Laser Multifunction Printer (Print/Scan/Copy)
Canon i-SENSYS MF4120 (A4) Mono Laser Multifunction Printer (Print/Scan/Copy)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Mac Compatible - very disappointed, 3 Sept. 2008
Similar situation to the other reviewer. I had this machine hooked up to my PC and was very handy, but when I decided to go to Mac it transpired that the scanner would not work with my iMac, contrary to what I had been promised when I bought the printer a few months ago. So now it has to go, to be replaced by something that will work with the new computer. Not pleased is an understatement.

Other than the scan problem I love it, would not change it for anything. It's a real pain to have to get rid of it.

101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 1964-1989 (Motorbooks Workshop)
101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 1964-1989 (Motorbooks Workshop)
by Wayne R. Dempsey

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent., 7 Dec. 2006
Very nicely put-together book, with simple step-by-step instructions for a range of worthwhile 911 projects. The technology employed on these cars is very straightforward, and Wayne's excellent book certainly helps to gain a better understanding of how things work, even if you never lift a spanner. Debunking the 'specialist-only' mythology surrounding the impact-bumper 911, and showing it to be something anyone with even the slightest interest can have a go at working on, means this book is a must-have for owners and enthusiasts alike.

AA Road Atlas Ireland
AA Road Atlas Ireland
by AA Road Atlas Ireland Edition: First

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, BUY IT!, 13 Oct. 2004
This review is from: AA Road Atlas Ireland (Paperback)
Great maps, lots of detail and a great help to us on our recent tour of NW Eire and Northern Ireland. This is one for the motorhome map drawer for sure - BUY IT!

The Delivery Man
The Delivery Man
Offered by Telstar Entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars A serious grower, 13 Oct. 2004
This review is from: The Delivery Man (Audio CD)
Got very excited when I heard about the new Elvis album, pre-ordered it and waited patiently, eventually it arrived and went straight into the CD player, and...
Elvis, what in God's name have you done?! I hated it, it seemed to be all noise, distortion, screaming and some old bag lady pub singer he had dragged in to back him up on vocals on one track, I just couldn't believe it could be that bad.
Left it overnight, and that's the thing that kept going round in my head - I could NOT believe it was that bad. So maybe it wasn't. Time to do some extended listening.
I have been an EC fan since the mid 80's and have to say I have liked most of his stuff (not all). Nothing is as it seems with Elvis and you have to let his best material work it's way into the grey cells and see where it ends up before you really start to get a real return from it. It didn't take long for the work of genius that is Delivery Man get hold of areas of my brain that hadn't been so well rattled since EC released Blood and Chocolate. WOW!
For my money, this album is the closest EC has yet got to perfecting his massive wall of sound and love/hate/joy/pain. I could fill this page with things I like about it, from the concealed harmonics and double-tracked chorus vocals on tracks like Country Darkness, to that rocking guitar line and wailing banshee of a bag lady pub singer (the rabble-rousing Lucinda Williams) on There's a Story in Your Voice to the whacking great thump rock rhythms on Bedlam to the little laugh of Emmylou Harris at the start of the fabulous final track Scarlet Tide.
I have to say that I love this kind of melange, love the overriding American-ness of the music (sort of like King of America in places with the 50's influences and the diner-like feel to parts of it), as always I really love the rawness of Elvis's voice. We should hold him up as one of the world's truest and most honest songwriters and thank him for treating music with such absolute respect and writing songs that so deserve our undivided attention in a world of pop pap.
This is my kind of record, music to live life to, all shades and all colours are here. Definitely one for EC fans who date back to Punch the Clock, definitely one for fans of Almost Blue and a must have for anyone who enjoyed Blood and Chocolate as previously mentioned. Oh, and DEFINITELY one for the dogwalking MP3 player, it's Grrrrreat!

RV in UK: A Guide to the British Operation of an American Motorhome
RV in UK: A Guide to the British Operation of an American Motorhome
by David Berry

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for the UK RV enthusiast!, 17 Jun. 2004
Great book from David Berry on running an american motorhome here in the UK. We bought our camper a year ago next month and have enjoyed it immensely. David's book calmed our nerves before picking the van up and gave us an idea of what to expect with appliances, gas/water tanks and fittings, roller awning etc, things that the UK vans just don't have. I really enjoyed reading it.
If there is anything that lets it down slightly from my point of view, it's that I was hoping for a bit more on the technical side. The oily bits are not really David's cup of tea, he would rather get the dealer to do it, whereas I like to do it myself. John Wickersham's books are excellent in this respect but I think I will eventually start a section on my website ([...]) about the whole business of buying in the USA, importing your purchase and converting vans to UK electrical and mechanical spec.
There's more than enough info in here for me to recommend this book, whether you've bought your RV or are just thinking about it, it's indispensable.

The Recreational Nomad: A Motorcaravanning Miscellany to Inform, Inspire and Entertain
by David Berry

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting!, 16 Oct. 2003
I bought this item having read David Berry's excellent book on RV'ing in the UK. Much of that information and some of the photographs are duplicated in this book, but it still manages to give enough new advice to be worth the effort involved in holding it up - it's heavy!
The format will not be to everyone's taste as it is basically 4 books running alongside each other across quite a wide page layout, not great for bedtime as all that page turning will earn you a swift elbow in the ribs! I did read the original review of the book in MMM, which complained about this aspect slightly and thought that the reviewer was being a bit of a fogie about it, but unfortunately I have to agree! However, the review is reproduced on David Berry's Keyham Books website, so all credit to him for leaving the slightly negative comments in.
Anyway, as I say, most of the rest of the text is interesting and Mr. Berry's 'motorcaravanning logs' are very educational, with some great site reviews along the way. There are also some excellent contributions from Mrs. Berry. Indeed, a few more would not have gone amiss!
One of the sections is on choosing and getting started in a camper. This is all so basic that if you already have a 'van you will probably steer clear of it. Though if you don't, it's a big bonus to the book's value. On the subject of which, I have marked it down one star as in my honest opinion, it's very expensive once the reproduced RV stuff and the buyer's guide material is taken out of the equation. But then, as I said, you may not have the RV book or the 'van as yet.
Whatever you decide about value for money, it's interesting and informative and should certainly be part of every motorcaravanner's library. Just don't expect it to fit on your bookshelves!

Andromeda Heights
Andromeda Heights
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars Time is all that matters, 22 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Andromeda Heights (Audio CD)
I bought this album many moons ago off the back of some great reviews, had a listen and shelved it as not for me at the time. I have recently come back to it and after a few more listens, well, what a difference!
As a big Sprout fan (only the musical variety mind), I rate 'Steve McQueen' as top three material alongside the Oscar Peterson Trio's 'Night Train' and '1984' by Van Halen, all incredibly well-crafted albums. However, the one thing that is different about this PS album to all others before it, is that Paddy built his own high-end studio at home before working on it (the album & studio share the name Andromeda Heights), and doesn't this new-found proximity show in the detail.
From the opening number, the easy rising tide of 'Electric Guitars', through to that wonderful sax part on 'Life's a Miracle' to the 'Ice Maiden'-esque 'Anne Marie' and on to an end of the evening, slow dance finish with the title track, this album has had care and attention lavished upon it by one of Britain's best kept secrets. Time is the key to this record, stick with it and it pays you back in spades with listening pleasures rarely experienced - McAloon works from a set of rules no-one else was given. And sometimes that's just about perfect.

All For You : A Dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio
All For You : A Dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio

5.0 out of 5 stars Effortless Perfection, 13 Jan. 2003
Diana and her incredible band reproduce all the magic of Nat on this instant classic. We need new verbs to describe her style - 'she smoothes her way through a timeless collection of songs' will do for now. Every single track is an invitation to listen to the epitome of performance. Don't wait another minute to overdose on pleasure, mellow out to the sound of a truly great jazz artist paying tribute to another. Get this in your CD player ASAP!

Page: 1 | 2