Profile for Andy Cook > Reviews

Content by Andy Cook

Andy Cook (Bristol, UK)

PURE Siesta, DAB/FM Clock Radio - Black
PURE Siesta, DAB/FM Clock Radio - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Recomended but I hope they fix a few minor issues with a firmware update, 20 Oct. 2007
As with some other reviewers, I'm also disappointed that you can't specify which station to wake up to as it'll only play the last station you were listening to. Hopefully, they'll change that in a future firmware upgrade but in the meantime there is a work around that I'll be using.

I have it set to wake me up to FM radio and I don't intend to listen to much FM (seeing as it has DAB) so I can set it to wake me up to the FM channel of my choice and then feel free to listen to any other DAB station whenever I want to flick around during the day without changing the wake up alarm.

Despite what some other reviewers have said, I found setting the alarm very easy and certainly much easier than setting it on my ancient analogue alarm/radio which required me to painfully cycle right around the full 24hrs. The Siesta allows you to set the hours and minutes separately and freely move backwards and forwards through the numbers.

There are a couple of small disappointments though. Apart from not being able to set a preferred channel for the alarm which I've already mentioned, the display is a little hard to see from angles other than straight on and I'd like the option to be able to set the top and bottom brightness levels on it. Again, maybe that could be fixed in a firmware update perhaps? I'm also a bit baffled by the 'IntelliText' feature and don't see me using it but maybe I just need to play with it a bit more.

On the hardware side, the unit is smaller than I'd imagined from the photos (not a criticism, just an observation), the useful headphone socket should be on the front panel (rather than on the upper back) in my opinion and I'd prefer to have dedicated preset buttons to instantly change to favourite stations rather than having to go via the menu but these are all relatively minor points and doesn't detract from what is basically a very good product. Recomended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2008 3:45 PM BST

Story Starters
Story Starters
by Lou Willett Stanek

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for, 3 Jan. 2002
This review is from: Story Starters (Paperback)
Hhhmm. It's difficult to know quite what to say about this book. For me, it's next to useless but I guess for others it may be of some value. What I was hoping for when I ordered it was practical advice describing methods and techniques for going about turning a germ of a story idea into a full blown, structured plot. Well, this book doesn't deliver that. What it does do is give dozens of one or two line "what ifs" and very basic scenarios. The rest of the book consists of quite a bit of padding supposedly going into more detail but I found it far too vague and superficial to be of use.
Whether this approach is of any value to you will depend on where you get stuck in the plot making process. I guess there may be the odd one or two ideas in the book that strike a chord with someone and lead them to creating their opus. Personally, if generating basic ideas was the problem, then I'd have preferred the book to contain one or more techniques for generating them but, instead, the book just consists of dozens of basic premises of very variable quality.
If you think it's not possible to have a technique for generating ideas then you'd be mistaken. Take a look at "Successful Sitcom Writing" by Jurgen Wolff for a couple of solid, practical methods for pumping out ideas.
All in all, this is not a book I could recommend to anyone, I'm afraid.

The Animator's Survival Kit: A Working Manual of Methods, Principles and Formulas for Computer, Stop-motion, Games and Classical Animators (Applied Arts)
by Richard E. Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars THE reference book for animators., 6 Nov. 2001
For anyone with any kind of interest in either learning how to animate, honing their skills or just curious about how it's done, then this book is absolute gold.
I was fortunate enough to attend one of Richard Williams 3 day seminars in the art of animation a few years ago. Reading this book reminds me of those 3 packed days of Richards non-stop knowledge and expertise being poured out and all of us students trying desperately to absorb every word.
Many of the nuggets of information that the hundreds of hopefuls were desperately trying to scribble down were inevitably missed at the time. Well, given that practically everything he said over those 3 days were gems of information that came straight from the masters of animation all those years ago, we were bound to miss much of what he said. That's what makes this book so invaluable - a ton of priceless information finally in a form that can be dipped into as and when it's needed.
Packed with hundreds of drawings to illustrate the theory, the information in this book is appropriate for all forms of animation be it traditional 2D cell or 3D computer animation. I am in the computer games industry and estimate that only around half a dozen out of the 340+ pages of this book aren't relevant to me. So, if you're starting to learn animation or think you're an expert, buy this book.

Flight Unlimited 3
Flight Unlimited 3
Offered by Unique_Item_Bazaar

5.0 out of 5 stars The best civilian flight sim I've tried, 3 Sept. 2000
This review is from: Flight Unlimited 3 (Video Game)
Well this game suits me down to the ground (no pun intended). I'm seriously considering learning to fly for real and FU3 gives me just the realistic taste of the experience that I'm after. The ground detail is the best I've seen (though there's always room for improvement in this area as technology advances), the available planes offer a wide variety of flying experiences and best of all, the realistic radio comms allow the player to really interact with the world around him. If you see the limited 'play' area as a disadvantage then don't. Microsofts Flight Sim' may give you the world but it's flat and very short on detail. FU3's area (the whole of the west coast of America - the north west in great detail, the rest less so) gives you a nice variety of sea, lakes, urban, country and mountanous areas to avoid crashing into. If you're remotely interested in 'real' flying, buy Flight Unlimited 3, it's the best.