Profile for drpeckham > Reviews

The Murder Room
The Murder Room
by Michael Capuzzo
Price: 10.72

1.0 out of 5 stars Awfully written account of a truly fascinating story, 30 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Murder Room (Paperback)
One of the greatest examples currently around of the gap which can exist between having an incredibly fascinating story to tell, forensic science, helping to solve cold cases using profiling etc and having that story told in uniquely terrible writing style.
It often reads like a cliched noir thriller, the dialogue is scarcely believable, and yet this book is actually based on fact. The amount of repetition - with sections of chapters covering the same ground just a few pages further on, makes me think this book was originally written in sections to be serialised in a magazine.
If a decent editor had been let loose on this, it could have been a great book. Really feel cheated of the money I paid for this.

Duronic RCD025B Portable Black CD Player with AM/FM Radio - Connect & play from MP3 Player/Ipod/Iphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all rounder, 9 Feb 2011
This has been a great success in our house. Kids love it, very easy to use and at this price you don't need to worry about it getting damaged. Optional battery power so you can take it with you. In the era of the iPod this is a good way to share music in your family.

How Will I Know If I'm Awake
How Will I Know If I'm Awake
Price: 8.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Summery chill out relaxing music, 24 April 2008
First time I heard it I thought it was an undiscovered gem from the 70s. Very sunshiney, easy listening sound, perfect for a sunny day, perfect to drink Pimms with.

Come And Get It
Come And Get It
Price: 9.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore who sung it, just listen, 31 May 2007
This review is from: Come And Get It (Audio CD)
I've never really liked Rachel Stevens, and S Club was something that passed me by. But if you like proper pop music, well produced, with some fantastic electro production on it, then this is one of the greatest albums from the last few years. One of my friends is a professional music journo, who turned me onto this album. I didn't believe him when he told me how good it was, then I listened to it. Yes, your friends will take the pi## out of you, until they hear it.

The Great Unwanted (Ruffa Lane)
The Great Unwanted (Ruffa Lane)
Offered by Amtrak123
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great classic-style pop tracks, 26 April 2007
If you like classic pop music, anything from 60s girl bands onwards, then this album is worth your cash. In an era of manufactured pop bands, this is a proper band or write and perform their own tracks.

The singer sounds a lot like Sarah Cracknell, and some of their tracks have an early Saint Etienne-ish feel to them, but they don't try for the ironic angle. A great album to listen to through the summer...

The Lakes : Complete BBC Series 1 & 2 [1994] [DVD] [1997]
The Lakes : Complete BBC Series 1 & 2 [1994] [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Dicken Ashworth

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest TV dramas in the last 30 years, 2 April 2007
You can read enough about the plot in the other reviews, just to say there are moments in Series 1 when I was poised on the edge of my seat, totally immersed in what was happening, feeling the tension, which is not something I've had Tv make me do in years. Series 1 will stand the test of time as great drama. Series 2 feels like a distant releative of series 1. Still great, and parts of it are great fun, but the tension of series 1 isn't there. Still better than pretty much everything else on Tv these days though.

Jim Davidson: In Your Face [DVD]
Jim Davidson: In Your Face [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jim Davidson
Offered by CMS MEDIA UK
Price: 2.72

1.0 out of 5 stars unredeemably poor, 10 Nov 2006
Someone bought me this as a birthday present, I think it was intended as an ironic gift. I thought I'd take a look, as Davidson isn't anywhere on my choice of favourite comedians, he doesn't even register on my list of least favourite comedians, as I find his somewhat unique blend of outdated, thinly reiled racism, sexism and 'old school' comedy not in the least bit amusing. But after watching 20 mins I was forced to turn the DVD off and throw it in the bin. I guess he has an audience for this stuff, it just seems to be pitched so slow that even people who find him amusing must think that they've really let themselves go.