Profile for H Davies > Reviews

No Shades of Grey: A Six-Word Story
No Shades of Grey: A Six-Word Story
by Rosen Trevithick

5.0 out of 5 stars Much needed antidote to the 50 shades hysteria, 13 Feb. 2015
This book pithily sums up the main issue I have with the 50 shades trilogy... When Ana says no that should be the end of the 50 shades book but instead Christian perseveres and the resultant book glamorises an abusive relationship.

My Granny Writes Erotica: Threesome
My Granny Writes Erotica: Threesome
by Rosen Trevithick

5.0 out of 5 stars This book had me crying with laughter!, 14 April 2014
I had read My Granny Writes Erotica 1 on my kindle but hadn't managed to get round to reading the second installment so I had a real treat when I got hold of this paperback copy of all 3 Betty Berry stories.

All three stories are absolutely wonderful and hilarious! As with any good farce, you can often foresee the dramas and mishaps before they happen but the way Rosen tells the stories and creates such clear images for the reader mean that even though you know what is going to happen, you'll still be in fits of laughter when the inevitable happens to poor old Betty.

A word of warning, part 3 is not very long, so if you already own parts 1 and 2 don't expect an equally long third part. I would suggest this book is for diehard fans of the first installments who want a paper back copy to lend to friends, for fans who want a kindle copy of the third installment or it is absolutely ideal for people who have not yet managed to read parts 1 and/or 2.

If you liked any of Rosen's previous comic works you will love this! And if you haven't read any Rosen before, this is the perfect introduction to her work! This is a perfect summer read, light hearted and witty, ideal for lazing on the beach. I would recommend you buy this for yourself or anyone you know who deserves a good giggle.

My Granny Writes Erotica (The Original Quickie)
My Granny Writes Erotica (The Original Quickie)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious- had me laughing out loud!!, 4 Sept. 2013
What can I say? This book is just absolutely hilarious! It is a really nice length, you could snuggle up on the settee, get your teeth into it and probably finish it in one sitting and you would have a thoroughly lovely time for the duration of the book... in fact, when I finished it I found myself wondering whether Rosen Trevithick was planning a sequel or prequel, I would definitely buy it if she did because the characters in this book are absolutely wonderful. Some of the scenes had my mind-boggling - is that really a thing? Do people really do that?! Some of the scenes had me in fits of laughter - especially the interactions between Betty and Scarlett and the wonderful slow cooker moment. And some of the scenes had me worrying about the characters, hoping against hope that it would all turn out ok for them.

I won't spoil any of the surprises or twists and turns, because they are some of the strengths of this book. However, I will say that the writing possesses all of the humour of Rosen's other works so if you have read her before and enjoyed her then you must add this to your collection. Alternatively, if you have never read a Rosen Trevithick this could be the perfect introduction to her work.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who fancies a good old belly laugh!

Seesaw - Volume I
Seesaw - Volume I

5.0 out of 5 stars A roller coaster read that keeps you gripped throughout, 24 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Seesaw - Volume I (Kindle Edition)
Picture me, Saturday night, my friends waiting for us to go out for dinner and I was really struggling to put down Rosen's latest book. I just couldn't leave without finishing "The Other Mother"! The whole book is like that, utterly gripping.

As the name suggests, this book contains some laugh out loud comedies and some really heartbreaking psychological thrillers. If you don't like one or either of these genres then this might not be the book for you, but if you like both then this will be perfect! Rosen has cleverly realised that a book full of psychological thrillers might be too hard going and so she has injected some very funny short stories in here too - it's a fantastic idea that works really well!

Rosen has shown herself to be a writer of amazing ability, deftly telling different styles of stories from a number of different perspectives with seeming ease. Amazing!

Lipstick and Knickers
Lipstick and Knickers

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud funny, 23 Jan. 2012
It is rare for me to laugh out loud at books, I usually just form a wry smile - however, I laughed aloud several times whilst reading this short story.

Like two other reviewers, I read this story all in one sitting - it is so accessible, enjoyable to read and pacey that one just has to keep the pages turning.

Rosen seems able to use just a few lines of descriptive text or dialogue to conjure up a larger than life mental image of her characters which is such a necessary skill for a writer (especially those who produce short stories).

The other story I have read by Rosen Trevithick (The Selfish Act) deals with a very serious subject matter with sensitivity and empathy. This story, however, lays on the humour and doesn't pull its punches - as a result its racey and utterly hilarious!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2012 8:15 PM GMT

The Selfish Act
The Selfish Act

5.0 out of 5 stars A complex and moving portrayal of mental illness, 22 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Selfish Act (Kindle Edition)
This short story provides a wonderful and thought-provoking insight into the inner workings of the mind of someone suffering from long-term depression.

The author explores the types of destructive thought patterns that plague people with this crippling illness in particular in relation to their feelings about their loved ones. As such, it provides a fresh, and much needed, look at the notion of depressive people being selfish/attention seeking etc.

I think this work will be a comfort to those who have experienced feelings like this - showing that they are not alone. However, I also think it will be a valuable read to those who may not have experienced, or struggled to fully understand the thought processes of people suffering depression.

This work is gritty and real, and as such demonstrates another string to this talented author's bow.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2012 5:27 PM GMT