Profile for K. Childs > Reviews

Content by K. Childs

K. Childs "Love to read" (Cornwall)

Page: 1 | 2
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 26 Jan. 2013
What an amazing tale! Sad sad story but what a lot the lovely henrietta has left behind.
I love the way this book flicks between time I very much recommend this read.

The Light In The Window
The Light In The Window
by June Goulding

4.0 out of 5 stars Shocking, 17 Feb. 2010
Though the subject of the book is shocking and unbelievable i really enjoyed reading it, however i do believe that June Goulding rushed it in places.
When she talked about some of the girls in labour and things that might not be going according to plan i would expect a little more build up and description but it was almost like the stories were rushed.
There were also some loose ends that could have been talked about but i guess June didn't have all the info herself and with time perhaps events were hazy.
Overall a good but shocking read.

The Time of My Life
The Time of My Life
by Patrick Swayze

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching, 21 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Time of My Life (Hardcover)
I was expecting this book to be a bit of a weepy but it really wasn't.
He talked about his love for his wife and his long spanning career in Hollywood. He only talks about his fight with cancer at the beginning of the book and again at the end but it is in such a positive mannor that its hard to believe he was dying at the time of writing it.
Patricks love for his wife was strong and passionate- a rareity in his profession.
The book was a great read.

The Puffin Book of Stories for Five-year-olds
The Puffin Book of Stories for Five-year-olds
by Wendy Cooling
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Big hit, 20 Jan. 2010
This was a big hit with both my 4 year old and my 7 year old.
They both love listening to a story at bedtime either from us or CD and they love these tales.

The Book of Tomorrow
The Book of Tomorrow
by Cecelia Ahern

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 9 Jan. 2010
This review is from: The Book of Tomorrow (Hardcover)
Though i believe Cecelia Ahearns best book is PS I Love You i have really enjoyed her later offerings as they take you to an altogether different world which depends on you suspending your belief for a while.
Tamara Goodwin is not a very likeable teenage girl but at times she is quite witty which makes you chuckle.
Her very fortunate life takes a dramatic turn when her father dies and she has to move in with her aunt and uncle with her Mother. The things that she discovers quite literally change what she is all about.
I read this in 2 days and can highly recommend it if you are looking for something a little bit magical to take you away from the doom and gloom of our world.

Baby Catcher: Chronicles Modern
Baby Catcher: Chronicles Modern
by Vincent Peggy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab, 6 Oct. 2009
This book gives a wide and varied view on life as a midwife.
Though set in America, and there are differences between our healthcare systems,the wonder of pregnancy and birth is still amazing and Vincent gives us all eventualities in her book and i was laughing in places and crying in others.
This is a must read for anyone thinking of entering the midwifery profession.

Love In The Present Tense
Love In The Present Tense
by Catherine Ryan Hyde

4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it, 15 Sept. 2009
from the first page i was hooked and at the end i was in tears. It is a basic story about love between a child and his mother and it is so beautifully written that you can not fail to be moved by the book.
I highly recommend this book and will be passing it around to my friends.

While My Sister Sleeps
While My Sister Sleeps
by Barbara Delinsky

3.0 out of 5 stars Average read., 13 Sept. 2009
This review is from: While My Sister Sleeps (Paperback)
While my sister sleeps is an easy but at times thought provoking read.
It revolves around the lives of the Snow family whilst eldest daughter Robin is in a coma.
The book begins with Robin suffering a heart attack and falling into the coma so i felt that you never really knew her to actually feel anything for her, having said that the Snow family themselves soon find out that they didn't know a great deal about Robin either and thus begins their story.
Whilst i did enjoy reading the book there was never anything really exciting and i found the dialogue at times just plain dull- i couldn't actually picture any of the characters talking in such a way.
There were lots of little issues that popped up in the book, some of which i just felt unnecessary because they didn't add any depth.
Overall a fairly easy going book( despite the issues it covers) which i would recommend.

We're Going on a Bear Hunt
We're Going on a Bear Hunt
by Michael Rosen

5.0 out of 5 stars Firm favourite!, 12 Sept. 2009
My daughter had this book for her 2nd birthday and she loved it! It was then passed down to my son at an earlier age and he too loved it. He is 4 now and we quite often catch him "reading" it to his soft toys.
The repitition in the book is used quite alot in our family on outings to the woods where "we're going to catch a big one" or "what a beautiful day" are heard as we trundle along.
I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone with small babies and children up to the age of 5! Our family has been enjoying it for a number of years now and it still remains a firm favourite!

Aliens Love Underpants!
Aliens Love Underpants!
by Claire Freedman

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great!, 12 Sept. 2009
I bought this for my 4 year old son after all the rave reviews. However, after reading it just a handful of times my son is no longer intersested in it.
I must admit that i was expecting something along the lines of The Gruffalo books but we were very disappointed.
As others have said, the rhymmes are weak and don't stick around in your head and there seems to be no story as such.
I wouldn't recommend this book when there are books such as the Gruffalo, Room on the broom and the like on the market!

Page: 1 | 2