Profile for Christopher Withers > Reviews

Content by Christopher Wi...

Christopher Withers

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
1 X 1L ROSATE 36 VERY STRONG PROFESSIONAL GLYPHOSATE WEEDKILLER
1 X 1L ROSATE 36 VERY STRONG PROFESSIONAL GLYPHOSATE WEEDKILLER
Offered by Gardener's Dream Ltd
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, 7 July 2014
I mixed it up slightly stronger than recommended and it did the job. I was worried that it had no effect on the ivy I sprayed it on, but a couple of weeks later it went brown and died. It even got rid of the bind weed.

Powerful stuff!

Philips Sonicare HX9332/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White
Philips Sonicare HX9332/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White
Price: 153.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Really makes a difference, 8 April 2014
I was a bit dubious about spending so much on a toothbrush. I've always made do with manual brushing and didn't understand what a difference a quality electric toothbrush could make.

The first time using my sonicare I was amazed at how clean my teeth felt. I've now been using it for 6 months and my gums feel much healthier. I'm sure my teeth look whiter too.

Using it twice a day I find that the charge lasts for a sufficient time, and the included charging case is great.

While it is an expensive toothbrush, I'd happily recommend it.

Spear & Jackson Neverbend Stainless Digging Fork
Spear & Jackson Neverbend Stainless Digging Fork
Price: 25.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Bent third time using it, 8 April 2014
I bought this fork after bending the tines on cheaper forks. The price, and name, made me think that this fork would be sturdier and up to the job of digging my garden over.

The garden in my new house has been neglected for years, and the soil is crisscrossed with roots from a neighbours large hedge. So it needs something sturdy to help turn the soil over. I had high hopes for this fork, but earlier this evening one of the tines bent!

I managed to bend it back slightly, but by the end of the evening two of the tines were pointing in different directions to the others.

The fork looks good, but definitely not up to the job of heavy duty digging over.

Kidkraft Waterfall Mountain Train Table and Set
Kidkraft Waterfall Mountain Train Table and Set
Price: 129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy, 10 Jan 2014
I bought this for my two and a half year old daughter because she kept asking for a train set and cars for Christmas. She Loves it.

It was easy to build and is lots of fun, some of the pieces (the houses) seem a bit loose when connected, but I glued them to ensure they remained secure.

This item was larger than I expected, so make sure you have room for it.

When I unboxed the product, there was a piece missing, but I contacted Kidkraft customer support and they were fantastic, sending me a replacement piece free of charge.

My daughter has played with this item every day, and I can see it lasting for many years.

Fazer Salmiakki Pastilles
Fazer Salmiakki Pastilles

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic taste, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Fazer Salmiakki Pastilles (Misc.)
I read about salmiak in a BBC article which described it's acquired taste. Being curious, I managed to find some being sold on amazon and ordered them.
I wasn't sure what to expect, but I loved the taste. I'm hooked now and since finishing the package I've actually been craving more.

A Feast for Crows (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
A Feast for Crows (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
by George R. R. Martin
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent addition to a fantastic series, 31 Dec 2012
Reading all the negative reviews, I felt apprehensive starting this instalment of the series, but I discovered such forbearance was unwarranted.

After the events of the previous book it would be neigh on impossible to maintain such high tension due to the dramatic changes forged into the landscape of Westeros and beyond.

This book picks up the pieces whilst further developing core characters. I can understand comments regarding the length of the descriptive narrative, but I loved gaining insight into each character and the current state of the world they inhabit. Martin is building a world as much as telling a story, and such detailed descriptive text helps build a vivid picture.
A number of characters are absent, but we learn about their story through events described third hand and through their effects on the spotlighted characters.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book to the extent that I finished it in a couple of days.

Let England Shake
Let England Shake
Price: 5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Album, 15 Sep 2011
This review is from: Let England Shake (Audio CD)
I've never really listened to PJ, but after being subjected to all the hype surrounding this album, I decided to give it a listen. If I'm honest, I approached the album with a negative mindset, expecting to dislike it; dismissing it as a popular album given credence by the hype machine.

I am happy to admit I was totally wrong. So wrong in fact that I've listened to it daily over the past couple of weeks.

This is also the first album I can recall where I personally cannot identify any filler tracks. Each song is beautifully contained, often contrasting horrific dialog with sublime melodies. I love the production quality, being reminded more than a couple of times of Siouxsie.

All I can say is: what a fantastic album!

Self-Coached Climber: The Guide to Movement, Training, Performance
Self-Coached Climber: The Guide to Movement, Training, Performance
by Dan Hague
Price: 19.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing help, 3 Dec 2009
I've been climbing for 4 months and have recently hit a plateau in regards to how far strength alone can get me.
My lack of technique has been becoming increasingly apparent, and routes I felt I should be climbing were near impossible due to my lack of technique. Watching other climbers was great, but without a knowledge of what they were doing, it didn't really help my own progress.

I've had this book for two weeks and the improvement it has instilled in me is amazing. I'm gaining a lot from the sections on balance and basic movement, and this is just scratching the surface of what this book has to offer.
For example, climbing a 5+ route earlier today which I find difficult and usually have to take lots of rests on, putting into action techniques from the book I managed to glide up it 3 times in a row.

Later, a 6a which usually stumps me, I managed to get past the crux which normally ends my climb.

I feel much more confident on the rocks, and I really look forward to where the knowledge in this book can take me.
For other beginners who have been climbing regularly for 4+ months, who are also starting to hit a wall, I wholeheartedly recommend this book.

For those who also feel their technique is poor, I believe this book and accompanying DvD can really help them improve.

The Fall [Blu-ray]
The Fall [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Catinca Untaru

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 13 April 2009
This review is from: The Fall [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The visual quality of the Blu-ray edition of this film is absolutely stupendous. Couple this with a sublime soundtrack and you have an absolute treat of a movie.
As the film progresses, we are woven into an increasingly disjointed mix of reality and fable where the main protagonists' inner thoughts and forms take shape - moulding the direction of the story.
I've read reviews which state the story is perhaps simplistic, yet the astute viewer will see seemingly irrelevant scenes from earlier in the film grow in import as the plot unfolds.
Each scene is so beautifully shot that they almost distract from the story, but the acting is so solid that attention is held by both story and the beautiful Cinematograph.
A film I wholeheartedly recommend.

Touching Cloudbase: A Complete Guide to Paragliding
Touching Cloudbase: A Complete Guide to Paragliding
by Ian Currer

5.0 out of 5 stars Wealth of information, 2 Feb 2009
I'm currently working through my EP and so am reading into all areas of paragliding. My wife bought me this book for my birthday, and I'm glad she did!
It's a fantastic book for anyone getting into the world of paragliding - it's answered a lot of my questions and always explains concepts at the right level for the reader.
I can imagine referring to this book as I progress through my PG career.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 23, 2012 12:01 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4