Profile for Alien in NY > Reviews

Alien in NY (Back in UK)

Belkin Energy Saving Smart AV Power Strip
Belkin Energy Saving Smart AV Power Strip

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great., 7 Dec. 2012
If everything was turned off it would turn it on. But turning the tv off left all the av equipment on so not really any use. Returned

TP-LINK TL-SF1008D 8-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch
TP-LINK TL-SF1008D 8-Port 10/100Mbps Unmanaged Desktop Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for the price, 7 Dec. 2012
I didn't realise how much of my av equipment had a network port. So with a 25m network cable plugged into the router the amp, ps3, blu ray, Apple TV, humax freesat box, tv and airport express all wired in. All works well with fibre broadband streaming tv, films, music and radio all at the same time.

Logitech Z120 Stereo Speakers
Logitech Z120 Stereo Speakers

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Dec. 2012
I was going to buy some H K speakers for £90 but as we really only use the mac in the study and stream to Apple TV and airport express stations all over the house I thought these would be fine for occasional listening.
They are brilliant. USB powered so no more cables than necessary. Nicky weighted so they don't fall over and a manual volume controller. Would highly recommend for any PC or mac.

25m Quality 18AWG Loud Speaker Cable - Multi-Strand by electrosmart® - Outside Dimensions of Cable: 5mm x 2.5mm
Offered by electrosmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value., 7 Dec. 2012
Needed to wire up additional speakers for whole house system. Well worth the money for a job like this requiring long runs of wire.

Levi's® Patched 9 Gg Men's Cardigan Blue Large
Levi's® Patched 9 Gg Men's Cardigan Blue Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 7 Dec. 2012
My winter essential for this year. I always by Levi because the quality is just superior to much else. This doesn't disappoint.

AOC I2353FH 23 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Silver (1920 x 1080, 250 cd/m2)
AOC I2353FH 23 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor - Silver (1920 x 1080, 250 cd/m2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good panel, rubbish speakers, 7 Dec. 2012
This monitor has a fantastic panel and is great for both general computer use and watching iplayer etc.
However I bought this because it had built in speakers and with hdmi connection makes it one less wire and plug etc. The speakers are utterly useless. Tinnie doesn't come close. I was moving from an iMac to a Mac mini so I was used to okay sound but this monitors built in speaker is just awful.
If it wasn't for the great picture quality I would have returned it but I just ordered a pair of USB powered speakers instead and that sorted out the sound issue.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2012 7:36 PM GMT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple. No problems at all, 5 Dec. 2011
Simply followed the instructions on the voucher or go to [...] tap in the code and it adds it to your existing account. No problems encountered.

Joseph Joseph Index Colour Coded Chopping Board Set
Joseph Joseph Index Colour Coded Chopping Board Set
Offered by Harts Of Stur

1.0 out of 5 stars All Style - No Function, 1 Sept. 2009
I was given these as a present and they were a good looking addition to the kitchen. However I already had two chopping boards and didn't really 'need' these so left them purely as decoration. However, having guests over at the weekend I had used my two Ikea chopping boards (£3.50 about 4 years back) so used these to fillet some steak and chop up some veg for the BBQ. Now I used my Global knives on these- the a sharp fillet knife for the steak and a veg chopper for the veg. Both knives are about 15 years old but still sharp although the veg knife could do with a tune up. On a marble worktop you often have to put a cloth under a board to stop it slipping around but these ever slipped around on the cloth.

After washing the boards I was disgusted to see the amount of grooves and lines cut into the surface of the boards. It looks like they are about as old as the knives. I noticed a customer of mine had some in her Kitchen when I visited her today and I asked if she was pleased with them. She pulled out three of the boards and they were all suffering from what looked like excessive wear even thought they are only two months old and only used occasionally as she only cooks at weekends. Also she pointed out that the holder had cracked around the base. I looked at mine again and mine has two.

All in all, I would say that this is a good design poorly executed by the choice of materials used. I will certainly not be buying anymore Joseph Joseph products nor using these boards except for when my cheap Ikea ones have ben used. Save yourelf the cash and buy cheap boards - they will last longer and not harbor the germs in the cuts like these ones have
Comment Comments (25) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2015 10:31 PM GMT

Morphy Richards 48280 Fastbake Breadmaker
Morphy Richards 48280 Fastbake Breadmaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Found it at a bargain price in Tesco's!, 11 Oct. 2007
I was going to treat myself to the Kenwood 350 but found one if these for only £22 in Tesco (only one in the store but worth having a look). An absolute bargain and a great bit of kit for making bread. Wholemeal is great, but that is all I have tried so far. I can't believe I picked it up and put it back down on the shelf whilst i shopped and considered buying it. Top marks for this.