Profile for Heather L Floyd > Reviews

Nursies When the Sun Shines
Nursies When the Sun Shines
by Katherine C Havener

2.0 out of 5 stars Would Like More Content, 21 Nov. 2013
I agree with a previous reviewer, it would have been nice to see the toddler in the story nurse before bed, to create the association of nursing as a before-and-after activity, where nighttime is a limited, finite block of time and not as intimidating for the child. But I think that presents a problem--nursing before bed is done when it is already dark out (at least, in our family). So I don't think I could really use this particular book for night-weaning, because since my toddler nurses even when the sun is not shining (8:00, 8:30 pm) I would seem to be contradicting the message.

I love Nursies When the Sun Shines for its content; I just wish there was more content! The illustrations are beautiful and the scuff-free laminate of the cover is nice to touch. My daughter loves the fact that the cat looks just like ours and appears on many of the pages. It is just so short, when there are so many more text and images that could have been included to draw a toddler in and get focused on the message through the familiarity of a bedtime routine of the characters, the toddlers feelings as night-weaning starts and the toddler overcomes the conflict, etc. (you know... a story arc!). Bottom line, I just can't get on board since I would like bedtime to mark the beginning of night-weaning, not sunset.