Profile for Mr. W. J. Parks > Reviews

Content by Mr. W. J. Parks

Mr. W. J. Parks "wjp" (weymouth, dorset)

Page: 1 | 2
Things We've Said
Things We've Said

5.0 out of 5 stars A Reason Why Amazon Needs 6 Star Rating Option!, 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Things We've Said (MP3 Download)
Being a constant user of a website which promotes to be ‘Front Page Of The Net’ (and sounds like a frog reading books) I came across Daniela Andrade quite by chance... someone randomly linked me to her cover of Radiohead’s Creep. Upon listening, I was instantly in love with her voice. Words just can’t describe how wonderfully soothing her vocals are on everything she sings… and I do mean EVERYTHING. Over the next week I ventured onto the Amazon mp3 store and downloaded everything she has released, this album being the first. This 7 track presentation contains all her own original compositions and is simply breathtaking. I can honestly say that every single track hits the spot for me, and each one is totally original from the previous. It is lyrically deep and hauntingly beautiful to listen to. The only real mystery is why Daniela hasn’t hot the big time yet (says lots about the current state of the music industry.) I recently had the opportunity to listen to her sing live via webcam (through a concert website that shouldn’t be too hard to find) and can confirm that her raw, unproduced voice is nearasdammit identical to what you will find on a finished recording – simply perfect. I can’t even really pick a favourite song for someone reading this to sample as they’re all that good. But I guess if you held a gun to my head: River Of Gold and Things We’ve Said would be excellent places to start, and their sheer difference in tone highlight Daniela’s versatility perfectly. I need to state at this time I am very set in my ways about music, and rarely touch anything that isn’t at least a few decades old. But this girl has changed all that for me – I just can’t rate her high enough. For goodness sake, what are you waiting for? It’s only a few quid and it might just change your outlook on modern music… download this now!

Billy Joel: Live At Yankee Stadium [DVD]
Billy Joel: Live At Yankee Stadium [DVD]
Dvd ~ Billy Joel
Offered by sdiscs.

2.0 out of 5 stars When Post-Production Gets It All Wrong, 11 Feb. 2013
First off, I am a HUGE Billy fan and would quite literally listen to him sing the phonebook if only he actually recorded it. I mean seriously - has this guy ever made a bad song? Really, think about that. Appearing here in a concert taken from the Storm Front era of his career, it features some very nicely performed songs indeed, arguably sounding the best he ever has. Absolutely wonderful renditions of classics appear here, though as other reviewers have pointed out, many relevant ones for the time are missing for no other reason than to keep the running time down.

So why only 2 stars? Well, the production values for this concert are just truly appalling. It starts off with a ten minute or so introduction to the concert, in which multitudes of Billy fans jabber on in sound-bites about their favourite songs and other talking heads drone on about baseball and the stadium itself: completely unnecessary and you will be reaching for the DVD case just to check you haven't picked up a documentary by mistake. But when the music actually begins the real carnage begins. The first thing you'll notice is the over-the-top choppy editing... I mean it's horrific. For example: 3 seconds of a swooping camera angle; cut to 2 seconds of a wobbly crowd shot; cut to 4 seconds of a back-angle in a slow frame rate to make it look a little `trippy`; 2 seconds close-up of Billy; back to the swooping shot for 3 secs; back to the crowd; back to the dodgy frame-rate filter... and it doesn't let up! I figured these ghastly effects might be used in the first song or so just to set the scene, but it persists for the whole feature running time. It is horrible, headache inducing and looks like an 80's pop video gone wrong. It genuinely is like someone has cut bits together at random and then gone crazy with the Windows Movie Maker filters. And yes, I'm sorry to say this ruins the whole thing. It got to the point where I just plugged in the headphones and shut my eyes to enjoy the music.

So as much as I enjoyed the audio, it only gets a whopping two stars for being almost completely ruined by some wannabe editors attempt to create something to show Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange. If you're a Billy completist and are tempted by the low-low price then you may just want to invest in this to say you have it... but have the parecetamol at the ready.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2014 9:41 AM GMT

Monopoly "Weymouth and Portland" Monopoly Board Game
Monopoly "Weymouth and Portland" Monopoly Board Game
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Must For Residents And Tourists Alike, 16 Nov. 2012
I felt compelled to write this review mainly to counter the appallingly negative one that's already on here. Upon seeing the overall 1 star myself I might've been put off buying this if I was easily swayed... I'm glad I ignored it. I received my game in the mail today and have just unboxed it. This is not a review of Monopoly the game in general because, well, you all know what Monopoly is, right? It's that wonderful game we all grew up with which deservedly so has immortal status. This is a review specifically of the Weymouth and Portland edition.

For starters, another review on here will state that the list of properties is unavailable online due to some sort of marketing conspiracy... well, lets change all that right now. Here is a complete list of all the properties, which I personally found to be wonderfully varied and relevant:

BROWN - Sandsfoot Castle, Portland Castle.
LIGHT BLUE - Daniels Fish and Chips, Sea-Life Adventure Park, Sea-Life Tower.
PINK - Portland Climbing, Weymouth Sailing Club, Weymouth F.C.
ORANGE - Rossi's Ice Cream Parlour, Kings Statue, Jubilee Clock.
RED - Condor Ferries, Dorset Echo, Weymouth College.
YELLOW - Bowleaze Cove, Sandworld, Chesil Beach.
GREEN - The Osmington White Horse, Nothe Fort, The Jurassic Coast.
DARK BLUE- Portland Bill, Weymouth Beach.

Sea-Life Land Train, Weymouth Station, the Ferry Port and Weymouth Town Bridge serve as the stations. Weymouth Advertiser and Wessex FM also make an appearance.

No, you wont find any Weymouth/Portland street names here... but why would you? I mean who would appreciate that apart from a handful lifelong Weymouth/Portland residents? This edition obviously exists due to the coverage the 2012 Olympics has given the area so it needed to incorporate tourists and people with a passing interest in the town as well as people who live here. I mean yes, they could've made Beverley Road the new Old Kent Road and Dorchester Road into Mayfair, but who would even get that reference? It could be argued that a place such as Daniels Fish and Chips should not be on the board at all... to those people I simply say - have you ever even tried Daniels? I would've made that a dark blue property, personally. Might've been nice to see Goldfingers on the board, but hey, can't have everything.

All in all this is a wonderful edition of the classic game. If you have ties to Weymouth and Portland I am sure you will enjoy the references and not be let down at all by the selections of places of interest on the board. I am buying several more of these for family and friends Christmas presents - it makes the perfect gift. As a lifelong, proud resident of Weymouth, I absolutely love this edition and can't rate it high enough.

BACK TO THE FUTURE - COFFEE MU
BACK TO THE FUTURE - COFFEE MU

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Mug! It's Your Density!, 3 July 2012
It's a mug. Seriously, you know what a mug is, right? It holds liquid, usually hot, mainly for drinking purposes. It's basically a cylindrical liquid carrier with a handle on it to make gripping it all the easier. But what's so different about this mug to warrant me spending time reviewing it? Well, it has a time-travelling Delorean on it, that's what! This instantly gives it a 5-star rating. If I had to recommend a liquid receptacle then this would definitely be the one. I wouldn't recommend throwing it at a family member in a heated argument, however... it might inadvertently reach 88mph mid-flight and, well, all sorts of hell could break loose and before you know it you`ll be copping off with your teenaged mother. So if hot beverages are your thing and you're sick to death of pouring the kettle straight into your cupped hands - AND you're a fan of BTTF - you NEED this mug NOW! Essential life utensil!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2013 11:59 PM BST

Twilight Sea Turtle By CloudB
Twilight Sea Turtle By CloudB

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Teenage, Not Mutant, Not Ninja... But Yes, A Turtle Indeed, 29 May 2012
I'll start off by saying I love this turtle! I bought it for my little girl as she needed a nightlight and loves looking at the night sky, so this just seemed perfect. She also has a thing about turtles, so this item ticked all the boxes.

The star projection really does fill the ceiling. I've seen things similar to this which simply don't work or just look cheap and nasty, but this one really delivers - lots of lovely blue and green stars all over the place. On the turtles shell you can choose a picture to illuminate simultaneously: these are of endangered sea creatures... things like whales and giant turtles etc. I believe it came with a booklet about these creatures also but that is long gone.

It's pretty light in weight regardless of the hard shell and will take a knocking. It's been to hell and back in the eighteen months we've had it and it's still ticking. It takes triple A batteries which last for a very long time indeed. Also suitable for handling by little hand, unlike a lot of nightlights out there. But it is a little pricey compared to the budget versions of this item, but you really get what you pay for in the end: works, feels and generally IS better than all the knock-offs out there.

A lovely looking and highly durable semi-cuddly turtle which is a nice addition to any childs room. This little green fella helped get my toddler to sleep on the most seemingly impossible of nights. Recommended highly by my aquatic and star loving offspring.

Remington MB4110 Beard Trimmer Stubble Kit
Remington MB4110 Beard Trimmer Stubble Kit

2.0 out of 5 stars The Remington Beard Trimmer Massacre, 29 May 2012
I bought this trimmer to maintain my short stubble (about 2mm max.) After having many trimmers in my time I picked this one because it was a reliable brand, had good reviews and, well, couldn't be any worse than the Babyliss I just came from. Unfortunately, the result is a mixed bag, really...

WHAT'S GOOD? It gives a very nice, precise shave, and doesn't take constant mowing of the same area just to get it to the right length. The battery life is awesome - it charges quickly and lasts forever. It has other features of course, but I only use it for short stubble and that's it. So yes, it performs well and gets the task done. It comes fitted with an easy to use manual dial system to select the length of beard wanted. Plus it comes in a nice bag too.

WHAT'S BAD? And so we approach the reason it's only got two stars... it's seriously painful to use! My stubble gets caught in the teeth constantly (an I mean constantly!) and it stings like hell to untangle it. I have tried all sorts of techniques to reduce this from happening but nothing works. I am a bit of a stubble monster, but I've never had this problem with the previous shavers I have used. (Ranging from the cheapest to the most expensive.) This really is a problem and lets the entire product down.

So, if you're a masochist looking for a nice neat quick shave this is the one for you! If your pain threshold isn't up to scratch you may need to look elsewhere. Or, you know, grow a beard.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2013 2:09 AM GMT

BaByliss For Men 7855U I-Trim Stubble+ Trimmer
BaByliss For Men 7855U I-Trim Stubble+ Trimmer

1.0 out of 5 stars Does Exactly The Opposite To What It Says On The Tin, 29 May 2012
Having ripped through the entire budget range of beard trimmers I thought I would treat myself to this expensive bit of kit. With a nice digital, motorised length selector I figured this would be just awesome. I use trimmers for maintaining my 2mm maximum stubble, so it's not anything extreme.

For a start, the quality of the shave really isn't that good. It takes repeated mowing of one single area to eventually wear the stubble down to the right size. This gets annoying fast and irritates the face. But the end result is eventually okay - nice and neat and everything the same size etc. It just takes a little longer than other ones I have used.

But why only one star? Well, it has an enormous design flaw... the battery life just doesn`t cut it. It started off poor, but towards the end of it's 6 months life of living in my house an all day charge would give me about a minute of shaving time - seriously! As it wore down I had to keep it plugged in and have a full charge already to have any chance at using it. Eventually, it refused to hold a charge at all and died so I ditched it. But surely this is just a faulty unit, right? Can't surely judge the masses on the result of the individual, eh? Well, think again! I have owned no fewer than three of these shavers and they all had identical problems. I just can not fathom how something with such an obvious fault could make it to store shelves. Same on you, Babyliss. I will never touch anything with your name on it again.

Absolute joke at a rip-off price. You'd be better off with the cheapest trimmer you can find than this one. Suitable only for people who enjoying wasting money and being frustrated simultaneously and have a spare two hours to shave every time it is required.

Rise Of The Footsoldier [Blu-ray]
Rise Of The Footsoldier [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Ricci Harnett

1.0 out of 5 stars It's about gangstas and stuff, innit?, 15 May 2012
Wow... where to begin on this one? Well, lets start out with an overall summary - you have do be a brain-dead `Brit-gangsta' mark for this film to entertain you on any level. I don't know why football hooliganism and pretending you're a distant relative of the Kray twins is suddenly so popular these days, but it is a sad truth in our society. All of a sudden British crime movies are the 'in' thing, and people pound on and on about how great all the associated films are. I think it's some kind of pop-culture thing gone haywire that makes this kind of movie so appealing to the (minor) masses. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that everyone who watches films like these are desperate to be part of the culture it represents, oh no, but I think there are serious connections to be made here. Because, to put it basically, this film absolutely misses the point on so many levels... and I am left thinking that the only people left in the audience at the end of the day are knife-carrying, hoody-wearing delinquents who think that the British crime scene is something to be proud to be part of, and repeatedly rewind 'the bit where the bloke is nailed to the floor' because it's 'sick'. Anyways, the films itself...

...Badly scripted, very badly acted and a real embarrassment to British cinema. The script writers seemed intent of the `c' word being used quite literally every other word, thus making this film a real chore to watch for anyone above the age of 20. The violence which everyone seems to harp on about is so over the top it runs into the category of self parody and looks like a group of teenaged films students have been let loose with some cochineal and a video camera. The characters are so one dimensional they just end up boring you to tears than being menacing. And at this time I really must go back to the acting, which is just cringe worthy in every scene. The entire cast seem to have read `How To Act Like A Modern British Geezer Gangster' By Danny Dyer as part of their character research, and are following it verbatim. No, Dan from `Eastenders', you can not act. You couldn't manage it back in `Cliffhanger' and you certainly can't do it now. And yes, random extra from `28 Days Later', I'm looking in your direction too.

Maybe it's my age but I just don't understand the hype to this movie. It's `plot' just meanders around for a couple of hours going nowhere and then, profanity and lashings red food colouring later, it just ends, leaving a real `so what?' feeling engulfing you. It reminds me very much of the hype when `The Krays' (a better film, but not by much) came out in the early 90's. Suddenly it was cool to be a British gangster fan then too. I don't know why so many people idolise these kind of clowns depicted in these kinds of movies, and ROTF is another classic example. Now I'm not against all films in this genre - `Green Street' was very enjoyable indeed (as were a spattering of Brit crime flicks over the last 20 years or so.) It's just when so much emphasis is put on appealing to a certain section of the public you really have to start questioning the morals of the film makers. Hey, I'm all up for a bit of the old ultra-violence but when it's sole purpose is to satisfy some Burberry loving teens/tweens it really makes you wonder. And how can I criticise a film that is based on a true story for having no plot? It's real life, I hear you cry? Well, just because it has a real story (somewhere hidden deep, deep) behind it does not make it worthy a film adaptation. I went to my local corner shop yesterday to buy a loaf of bread and four pints of milk... where's my movie? (Plus I managed to do this without calling anyone the `c' word once!)

On an entertainment level? Well, it has none. It lacks any grit or grasp of reality and will send you to sleep before sending chills down your spine. This should only be watched by chavs who think the epitome of being cool is to have zero social skills and think this is the way real people behave.
And hey - HOW sharp was that pizza cutter?!

Brainstorm Toys RC Illuminated Moon
Brainstorm Toys RC Illuminated Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars "Moon, Daddy! Moon!", 31 Jan. 2012
Bought this for my 2 year old daughter who is totally obsessed with the moon. It's `moon' this, `moon' that... she spends all her time looking up in the night sky for it and the rest of the time spotting it on her favourite TV shows and movies. It was one of her first words. So this novelty light was ideal for her.

The techie bit, in very basic terms: it's battery powered (batteries seem to last forever, so no problem there) and easily wall mountable (as easy as a clock) and comes with a neat little remote control for you to sit back and switch through the lunar phases at your own pleasure. You can choose to have the moon on whatever `lit' position you want, or choose for it to cycle through them continuously. It switches itself off after about half an hour or so.

My little girls little face lit up when she saw it for the first time hanging on her bedroom wall - she needed a new night light and this was just perfect. She enjoys laying down with a drink in the dark and playing with the controller. She will stare at this thing for ages until she eventually drifts away.

One ever-so-slight bad point (is `bad' even a fair word to use here?) As the surface of the moon is lit with a light which is underneath its centre it does tend to look brighter in the middle and dimmer towards the edges. But really, it doesn't matter, and I feel like a goon for even bothering to mention it, but hey, it's an observation. In a darkened room it lights up nicely and the detail on the textured surface really looks extremely groovy.

All in all a very good purchase - especially for my lunar obsessed little monster.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - The Seriously Ultimate Edition [Blu-ray] [1974]
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre - The Seriously Ultimate Edition [Blu-ray] [1974]
Dvd ~ Marilyn Burns

5.0 out of 5 stars You... you damned fool! You ruined the door!, 30 Oct. 2011
My oh my, where to begin? For so many reasons the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is my absolute favourite movie of all time. What's its appeal to me after all these years? Well, maybe it's the fact that it was shot extremely low-budget and is a perfect example of making the most out of what you have to work with. Maybe it's that I saw it first when I was a 14 year old horror-nut looking for as thrill and stumbling across a then banned version of this made me change the way I though about the horror genre. Maybe it's the hot, sticky atmosphere that really glues itself to the inside of your throat. Maybe it's the way all the splatter happens offscreen but still manages to shock and terrify. Or maybe it's just because of Edwin Neal's awesome performance as the hitchhiker. I could list things forever, but I'll stop here.

Okay, so you know the story. Everyone does. What I'll say basically is this: this film is the best example of a horror movie I can think of. It has a very realistic feel to it and the performances are all worthy of your attention. It is not an exploitation movie, as the title may suggest, but it does succeed in being as brutal and visceral as one without going all guts-on-the-floor. The direction is amazing, the camera-work a real pleasure to watch, engulfing the viewer in the aforementioned sticky atmosphere - it really throws you deep into Texas and takes away your mobile phone.

And as for characters, is there a more pure horror villain than Leatherface? He's not a zombie or a dream demon or possesses any kind of superhuman powers at all. He's just human. And so are the rest of the nut-jobs in this film, and this, for me, puts it on a different level to all the other horror films of its time.
An absolutely breathtaking horror movie that left my jaw on the floor back when I first saw it in the early 90's.

Now. I've met many people who either tell me they have seen this film (mainly back in the day when it was banned) and say that it is FULL OF BLOOD AND GORE, even going to the lengths of explaining dismemberment and all sorts of horrific scenes in great detail. To this date I have no idea which movie these people are really referring to. Please note you are likely to see more bloodshed and limbs being hacked off on TV before the watershed.

And for todays audience? Hmm, that's a different story. Most of them simply say it is boring and tame. It seems to be a generation thing. (My two teenage stepsons feel asleep in it for heavens sake!) What really annoys me (like some of the reviewers on here have) is when people mistake blood for horror. `Saw' is not a horror film, neither is `Hostel' - they are gore-fests, that is all. I'm sorry to break it to all the teens/young twenty-somethings reading this but if your idea of a decent horror film is watching entrails fly out of the cinema screen in 3D then you are sorely mistaken. "But Texas Chainsaw isn't scary..." well, maybe you find it scary, maybe you don't. But if you can't appreciate the horrific artistry of masterpieces such as this then maybe you are better off watching `Scream.' (For the record - I have nothing personal against gore-fests... I just refuse to put them in the same category.) Phew! Glad I got that off my chest!

Just a quick word about different versions... there are multiple discs you can now buy of this (I own them all) and they all offer something different each time. Okay, so some special features get recycled, but there's always something new worth your attention on there too. I have just got the Blu-Ray, and while the picture sharpness is hardly on par with any of the big budget blockbusters you'd see in 2011, it is the best transfer of a 16mm original I have seen and the colours are pretty awesome. (Leatherface 'doing the dance' at then end against that sky is a personal highlight.) Oh, a new special feature on Blu I really enjoyed was a guided tour (by Leatherface himself) of the `Chainsaw' family house as it is today... worth the price alone.

If you appreciate good, artistic, brutal horror then you simply have to watch/buy this film (on Blu, preferably) - it`s full of visual treats, kooky noises and wonderful atmosphere. If you're after blood and guts, check out the remake - it's got a bit where some guy gets his leg chainsawed off, like.

Page: 1 | 2