Profile for David G > Reviews

Dido Elizabeth Belle: A Biography
Dido Elizabeth Belle: A Biography
by Fergus Mason

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY DISAPPOINTING, 15 May 2014
This gives every appearance of having been thrown together very hurriedly to cash in on the imminent film release. The layout is extremely poor and the content is quite thin. I also bought "Belle - the true story of Dido Belle" which cost less than a pound more and is a much more substantial and better produced book.

Pure Heroine
Pure Heroine

5.0 out of 5 stars OUTSTANDING, 5 April 2014
This review is from: Pure Heroine (Audio CD)
Got this album for Christmas, still playing it regularly in April. Absolutely love it to bits. Beautiful songs, great atmosphere.

Sennheiser PX685i Sports Headband In-Ear Headset - Black
Sennheiser PX685i Sports Headband In-Ear Headset - Black

2.0 out of 5 stars GOOD SOUND, PAINFUL FIT, 5 April 2014
When my cheap Sony earphones packed up (as they always do after a few months) I thought I'd try something a bit more upmarket. The sound quality of these headphones was very good, I was able to hear detail I simply hadn't been aware of before. But they really were quite painful in my ear after wearing them even for a short time (I notice now that several reviewers have commented on this). Personally I think the ear buds are the wrong shape for a comfortable fit.

I've broken them now (accidentally stood on the cable as I stood up while wearing them) and won't buy another pair of these. The search goes on.

The Clerkenwell Writers Asylum: First Short Story Collection
The Clerkenwell Writers Asylum: First Short Story Collection
by Alby Stone

4.0 out of 5 stars VARIED AND INTERESTING SELECTION, 5 April 2014
Not really read many short stories before but was an interesting way to get into the genre. Lots of quirky stories and plenty of variety as a dozen authors are represented, Ideal for train journeys as you can dip in and read one from start to finish. Only one story I really didn't like and several that I enjoyed a lot.

Derek Bourgeois: Serenade for wind band
Derek Bourgeois: Serenade for wind band

5.0 out of 5 stars FUN, 2 Aug 2013
I went to see my daughter play in a guitar ensemble concert, they were preceded by a wind ensemble and that was the first time I heard this piece (I'd never heard of the composer either). I really enjoyed it and came home to find where I could buy it. It has an 'oom pah pah' rhythm but with some pleasant twists and turns that lift it out of the humdrum. Only a light little piece but very enjoyable.

Jumbie In The Jukebox
Jumbie In The Jukebox

4.0 out of 5 stars RE-VISITING CALYPSO, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Jumbie In The Jukebox (Audio CD)
I've always enjoyed calypso and this ia modern re-visiting of that style with hints and nods to a range of other styles (dashes of reggae and hints of others too). As you'd expect with what is essentially calypso music the lyrics are entertaining, sometimes with a hint of bite (I particularly like 'Postcard Poverty' - tourists taking pictures of the poverty to show when they get home). I also love some of the brass arrangements, sounds like Rico but isn't).

In Search of Haydn [DVD]
In Search of Haydn [DVD]
Dvd ~ Phil Grabsky
Offered by becksdvds-co-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD OVERVIEW OF HAYDN AND HIS MUSIC, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: In Search of Haydn [DVD] (DVD)
I really enjoyed the double disc I bought of the two earlier films in this series (on Beethoven and Mozart). The style here is the same, I'd describe it as classy BBC2 documentary. The interviews with the musicians are a highlight, their passion for the music is wonderful. Having said that they generally strain a bit when it comes to their praise of Haydn. The word 'genius' was freely bandied around in the two earlier films but no one can quite bring themselves to apply that word to Haydn. I'd give the Beethoven film in this series 5 stars, the Mozart 4/5 and the Haydn 4 (but that's probably got more to do with how I rate the composer than the films themselves).

Soft Leather Credit Card Holder Wallet
Soft Leather Credit Card Holder Wallet
Offered by Supreme Leather

4.0 out of 5 stars SEEMS LIKE EXCELLENT VALUE, 29 July 2013
Bought as a gift so only handled it very briefly. Very soft to the touch. Considering the price seems like excellent value. No complaints but I do wonder how long it will last.

AZATOM® iFLUTE Silver 10W iPhone Docking Station - True stereo dual speakers - Remote control - Premiun portable sound
Offered by 4 COOL TECHNOLOGY

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality at a reasonable price, 29 July 2013
This product does what it says on the tin, the sound quality is pretty good for such a small unit and I love the fact I can just pick it up and carry it around with me.

Fondo (The Road)
Fondo (The Road)
Offered by Books2anywhereUS

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than his dad?, 4 July 2009
This review is from: Fondo (The Road) (Audio CD)
Better than his dad? Probably not, but as good and a bit different. Above all I think there's more variety here than you'll find in his Dad's work. The laid back duet with Toumani Diabate ("Paradise") lives up to its name and wouldn't have been out of place on "In the heart of the moon (Ali Farka Toure and Toumani Diabate). Not sure Dad ever turned his hand to reggae though, as Vieux does here to good effect ("Diaraby Magni"). Well worth four stars!