Profile for Glasgow Dreamer > Reviews

Content by Glasgow Dreamer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 864

Glasgow Dreamer (Glasgow Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Oral-B Genius 8000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun
Oral-B Genius 8000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush Powered by Braun

4.0 out of 5 stars Great brush, some extras are pretty superfluous, 17 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As several of the other reviews did, I too tired of the "gimmicks" associated with this brush after only a few days use. Brushing your teeth twice a day shouldn't be a chore, and it isn't.... unless you need to set up your mobile to watch yourself doing it each time (assuming you have already downloaded the app). The technology makes sense, to help make sure you are not missing areas which need attention. However, once you have used it a couple of times, I think you would have got the "knack", and I quickly found that process pretty pointless. As a regular attendee at my dental practice, I'd be surprised if there was much wrong with my cleaning regime. Perhaps I may try it out once a month or so to make sure I'm still covering all the necessary areas. Your brushing history is recorded in the app, which really becomes quite pointless if, like me, you only use the app infequently.

As an Oral-B toothbrush, you know it's going to be a good brush, even without the added bells and whistles, and this is certainly a perfectly good toothbrush. I have used Oral-B products before, and this compares favourably with them. The battery appears to be longer lasting - mine hasn't needed a re-charge in almost four weeks use. My teeth feel clean and smooth after using it, even on the Sensitive mode. I have tried the other modes, and found little difference between them, so have settled on the Daily Clean mode, which seems to do a decent job.

To summarise; as you would expect, this is a very good brush, but I'm not sure if all the extras are really worthwhile.

AmazonBasics Commercial Grade Garment Rack, Chrome
AmazonBasics Commercial Grade Garment Rack, Chrome

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent item. Should have got one years ago., 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Originally, I had planned to use this rack merely to accommodate the overflow from my fitted wardrobe, but I have found it so convenient, that I now use it for all my t-shirts and trousers, and use that portion of the wardrobe for general storage. The room looks so much clearer now.

The rack is a lot more solid than I had anticipated. It arrives flat-packed in a sturdy box, and took all of three minutes to assemble. Some reviewers have commented that the spring-loaded catches which secure the bars in place have been difficult to operate with fingers and thumbs even suffering injury when attempting to set the unit up. I found that placing a small coin between my fingertip and the catch was a lot easier - no injuries, and a lot faster than using a finger.

The unit can be set to three different heights; I use the highest setting, as that offers a little storage space under my garments. This may not be suitable if you anticipate moving the rack around. It is on a set of pretty decent wheels, and can be moved easily, even when heavily loaded. The top rail can also be extended by a foot or so, as there is a small telescopic section at each end

As mentioned earlier, the unit is much sturdier than I had expected; it currently has around sixty t-shirts and twenty pairs of trousers on it, without looking or feeling overloaded.

This is an excellent product, which I have no hesitation in recommending. As many other reviewers have remarked, it is difficult to see how it could be described as "Basic" in any way.

Smart Weigh Multifunctional Postal Scale and Digital Kitchen Scale with Wide Platform, 15kg Capacity
Offered by Five Star

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unit, combines decent capacity, handy features and good looks., 13 July 2016
This versatile scale is absolutely excellent. I wanted one which would weigh more than the usual 5kg, and yet would still give me a reading in 1g increments, but I didn't want to go for one which was, or looked, like an industrial grade model. This one weighs up to 15kg, easily enough for my needs.

This is a decent size, about twelve inches by nine, and only about an inch thick, so it doesn't pose any storage problems. I use it primarily as a mail scale, and it fits neatly on a handy bookshelf, but it is attractive enough that it could be kept on a kitchen worktop, if that's where you would use it. The readout is a decent size, nice and clear in a bright red colour.

It can display readings in metric and imperial units, and has a tare function, which resets to zero, so you can measure the weight of something independent of its container, by resetting when only the container is on the scale. There is also a "hold" function, which is handy when weighing larger objects which may obscure the read-out. When in "hold" mode, the reading remains displayed, even after the item has been removed from the scale.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this unit. Yes, cheaper ones are available, but none of those will give the capacity, features, and attractiveness of this one.

Post-it Recycled Notes - Canary Yellow - Tower Pack Of 24 Pads - 38 mm x 51 mm
Post-it Recycled Notes - Canary Yellow - Tower Pack Of 24 Pads - 38 mm x 51 mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Post-its, handy, if they're big enough for you., 13 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I presume everyone knows what Post-it notes are, so I won't bother explaining here.

This particular pack contains 24 separate pads, each containing 100 Post-its, so that's 2400 in total. They are quite small, only around 2 inches by 1.5 inches, and the position of the "sticky" section on the rear would suggest they be used in landscape orientation (for the sticky strip to be at the top), although they could, of course, be positioned however you prefer. Due to their size, you're not going to get much text on these, but they are ideal markers for drawing attention to things, or place-keepers.

These are made with recycled waste, so are quite environmentally friendly. They come in a handy dispenser pack, which is also recycled card, so thier green credentials can't be questioned.

Overall, as usual, I would recommend Post-its, but ask yourself these two questions before you buy this pack; are they big enough for my use? and; do I need 2400 of them?

Post-it 76 x 76 mm "Z-Note" Dispenser with Colour Pad
Post-it 76 x 76 mm "Z-Note" Dispenser with Colour Pad

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy sticky notes in a handy dispenser., 6 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Everyone can use Post-it notes.They are so handy for taking short notes or reminders, and the sticky patch on the reverse helps to avoid such notes then go missing. The notes in this set are around three inches square, and come in a number of bright attractive colours.

The bonus with this set is the handy dispenser which holds one of the eight included pads. The individual Post-it notes are connected in such a way that pulling one out of the dispenser automatically presents the next one ready to be used. The dispenser has a suction pad on the rear, so it will stick to a smooth surface, making the removal of the notes a one-handed operation, which can be handy if your other hand is occupied, holding a phone, or some other object.

Post-it notes are always handy, and this set can be recommended.

Miller's Collectables Handbook & Price Guide 2016-2017
Miller's Collectables Handbook & Price Guide 2016-2017
by Mark Hill

3.0 out of 5 stars Unrealistic view of what constitutes "Collectable", 16 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have had two or three editions of this, and have always been happy enough with them.

However, this edition throws up a couple of problems.

By trying to cover a really wide range of possible subjects, the authors have omitted a number of more common areas of collecting. For example, there is no section dealing with vinyl records, or indeed any form of recorded music.

Equally, the "quality" of the items covered in this edition seems to be markedly higher than in previous editions. The majority of the items in this book are highly aspirational in nature. Not many people have collections of individual items costing well over £1000, yet many of the items shown here are valued considerably higher than that.

The problem with this "up-scaling" is that the items being shown won't be found in charity shops, second hand shops or even smaller local auction houses. There are few surprises; even to a novice like myself, many of the pictured items were familiar to me. So, by featuring "higher-ticket" items, the authors are rather defeating the purpose of the book.

Physically, it's a lovely book, and the illustrations are really good, but I don't think it really fulfills its purpose. For "Collectables" (sic), the authors really need to lower their sights a little. I had thought this was intended to be a "little brother" to Miller's Antiques Guides, and it would be far better if it continued to be so, but to most people, there isn't really much difference between the two.

Rapesco A4+ Expanding File - 13 Compartments - Blue
Rapesco A4+ Expanding File - 13 Compartments - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent file, but did I get an updated version?, 12 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I begin the review, I would just like to point out that, although the description of the item is accurate (13 compartments, A4, blue, etc.), and the Rapesco part number (0677) is the same, the item I received is markedly different to the photos on the product page. The front flap is considerably longer than shown, for example, so it may be that I am reviewing an updated product.

Despite conducting so much of my business online these days, there are some things which still involve paper documents, such as bank statements, receipts, etc.. I have a small filing cabinet in which I store all these important items. I'm using one of these expanding files as a sort of "halfway house" where I store these documents while they are still quite current, i.e. before they can be archived away (and largely forgotten) in my filing cabinet. I have another which I use for documents which I need with me. I have found this quite handy on holiday, when it really is best to have at least one paper copy of everything.

This folder is quite robust; of course it would be possible to overload it to the point where the plastic rips, or the clasp will no longer fasten. Several reviewers have commented on this, but I don't believe these claims are valid. Any container will fail, if you try to over-fill it. If you need something bigger - get something bigger! Used sensibly, this file is easily resilient enough, and I fully expect to be using it for a number of years.

Garnier Ambre Solaire Light & Silky Protection Lotion SPF15 200ml
Garnier Ambre Solaire Light & Silky Protection Lotion SPF15 200ml

5.0 out of 5 stars As you would expect from Ambre Solaire, a perfectly good sun cream., 4 Jun. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Believe it or not, Glasgow has had sunny weather for most of the past week, and, after gaining a few red patches over the bank holiday weekend, I have been using this for the past few days.

It is very easy to apply; it's not "runny" but it does smooth out very quickly. I found that I didn't need to re-apply during a six-hour stretch outdoors. Admittedly that may be at least partly down to the fact that we're not really in the full heat of summer yet, although we have had a few days in the mid 70s. The bottle I have is SPF15, so I may need to switch to a higher number as the summer progresses, or if I have my usual fortnight in Majorca later in the year.

Having used their products by choice for a number of years, I feel confident that a well-known brand name such as Ambre Solaire would only manufacture quality products, and I'm certainly perfectly happy with this.

Let The Record Show: Dexys Do Irish and Country Soul (Deluxe Edition)
Let The Record Show: Dexys Do Irish and Country Soul (Deluxe Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Is there a point? Or is it just a foot-shooting exercise for Kevin?, 3 Jun. 2016
This album should come as little surprise to any long-time followers of Dexys / Dexys Midnight Runners. Give Kevin Rowland a little bit of success, and the one thing you can depend on, is that he will shoot himself in the foot at the earliest opportunity.

On the last album "One Day I'm Going To Soar", he seemed to have finally balanced his perfectionist tendencies with a healthy level of commercial and critical success. That album, the live dates, and the accompanying movie together formed a real tour de force.

This album, however, is a Kevin Rowland vanity project. It is a collection of songs, only four of which are actually Irish (although another couple do evoke "Irishness"), all performed pretty much exactly like you would expect Kevin Rowland to perform them. He doesn't stretch himself at all with the songs, and, for the most part, the band could be any bunch of competent session musicians. On occasion, he tries to involve other members of the band, most notably Sean Read, but there is none of the chemistry he enjoyed with Madeleine Hyland and Pete Williams on the last album.

Kevin has always had rather idiosyncratic fashion sense, and when you see the choices of fashion in the photos in this package, it's hard to know whether the whole thing is just a rather elaborate practical joke.

Let's be honest... Who really wants to hear this? After the last album, I had certainly been looking forward to another epic; something to challenge me (and Kevin). This is pleasant enough background music, instantly recognisable, but not up to the standard Kevin should be delivering. It's odd that such a renowned perfectionist can repeatedly turn out such sub-standard work. Let's hope he gets his mojo back before it's too late.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2016 1:00 PM BST

A Crown of Dark Swansdown
A Crown of Dark Swansdown

5.0 out of 5 stars Great live recording, just as they "went electric", 22 May 2016
This recording has been available as a bootleg for a number of years, usually titled "Agadinmar's Lore, Live in Cologne '70", and it has always sounded like a great gig. The recording has been "tidied up" for this release. It sounds much clearer and far more professional.

It features Tyrannosaurus Rex on the verge of "going electric", the songs being a mix of Marc's earlier folky whimsy, and their newer, rockier sound. The highlight is a ten-minute version of "By the Light of the Magical Moon" (as it is wrongly titled on the CD sleeve). It is full of energy, and a great guitar sound, a clear signposting of the direction the band would take in the following months. As another reviewer mentioned, it is similar in sound to their much-loved guitar wig-out "Elemental Child", athough it is not as well constructed. It sounds better on the CD version, as it is split into two parts on the vinyl, at the end of side one and the beginning of side two, as it had been on the bootleg.

I doubt if this will be heard by anyone who isn't already a fan, but I'm sure anyone who takes a chance on it will thoroughly enjoy it. Some old live recordings aren't worth an official release, but this one certainly is.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20