Profile for Glasgow Dreamer > Reviews

Content by Glasgow Dreamer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 737

Glasgow Dreamer (Glasgow Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
body pure 1200mg Raspberry Ketones
body pure 1200mg Raspberry Ketones
Price: 12.15

2.0 out of 5 stars Could not ascertain any benefit. Placebo??, 14 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although I have only been taking these for a couple of weeks, I feel I can already say that they don't work for me. The tablets have to be taken along with a large glass of water around half an hour before breakfast and evening meals.

The large glass of water before meals "trick" is a well-known technique to aid weight loss, and my own thought is that it doesn't make any difference whether I took a tablet with the water, or just took the water on its own.

Perhaps, if you have more persistence than I have, you may find these help you. To me, I can't shake the idea they are just a placebo, to "science things up" a bit instead of just using water.

Kingston 16GB Micro USB 2.0 DataTraveler Flash Drive
Kingston 16GB Micro USB 2.0 DataTraveler Flash Drive
Offered by Namoamtb
Price: 6.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for use with smartphones or tablets, 9 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At first glance, this just looks like any other USB drive. However, as well as the standard USB connector, this also has a micro-USB connector, so it can be used easily with most android tablets and smartphones. The micro connector, being slightly more fragile, is protected by a plastic cover, which swivels off, to enable the micro-USB connector to be used.

As expected, the unit performs perfectly well, and at 16Gb, this one has enough capacity for most day-to-day uses, without being too large to be used on my Galaxy S5 phone. (The range includes a 64Gb version, which may not be compatible with some smartphones or tablets, particularly slightly older models.)

Overall, this would be ideal if you need a flash drive to connect with your phone or tablet. Otherwise, that second connector would be redundant, and it would be just another flash drive. I'm perfectly happy with it.

Withings Pulse O2 - Activity, Sleep, Heart Rate and SPO2 Tracker for iOS and Android - Black
Price: 99.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely little item, possibly a little impractical, 7 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are many gadgets similar to this on the market at the moment, and it could be argued that none of them have quite got it right, yet! Most have at least one drawback; they may not be portable or practical enough; they may not give accurate or consistent readings; they may have poor battery life, or they may suffer from one of many other common "show-stopping" flaws.

This one, however, is closer than any of the others I have tried. It is simple to set up - I had it set up and paired with my Samsung S5 in less than five minutes. As with most similar devices, it gives a step count,but also gives further relevant information; it shows distance covered (total, or for a run etc.); total height climbed (absolute heights - stairs, not gradients), and calories burned in doing so. It also has facilities for measuring heartbeat and blood oxygen levels, and a sleep monitor, and the battery life seems to be outstanding - a two-hour USB charge from my PC seems to last four or five days!

This all syncs to the Withings app on my smartphone by bluetooth. This updates periodically, but updates can be forced through at any time to give an up-to-the-minute reading. The app retains previous readings, making it easy to monitor and compare performance over time.

I have been perfectly happy with the operation of the device, and the readings it provides. My one reservation is with the physical item itself. It's a really well made, neat little unit, it feels comfortable to the touch, and it is easily operated and very responsive.

The device fits into a wriststrap, and I have used that method for monitoring my sleep cycle. The manufacturer's literature suggests you could wear the device on the strap during normal daily activity. I would strongly advise against doing so. The fitting on the strap is not tight enough to keep the device secure. It has come loose a number of times during my sleep cycle, thus negating my readings, and distorting my rolling averages. I am quite sure it would be lost very quickly if it was worn that way on a normal day. (In fact I see at least one reviewer has lost his unit in this way.) So I now secure the device to the band with a small rubber band before going to sleep. For all other activities the unit is either kept in a pocket, or in the clip provided, which seems to be much more secure. It's just a minor drawback, but one the manufacturers should know about.

Overall I'm quite happy with the item. It's still not accurate enough to rely on 100%, and the sleep monitor in particular seems to be far from scientific, but it's held my attention for a couple of weeks now. Ask me again in six months, and we'll see if it was really worth it!

Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S5 - Black
Case-Mate Tough Case for Samsung Galaxy S5 - Black
Price: 17.23

3.0 out of 5 stars If size is more important than protection, fine..., 16 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are two layers to this case - an inner silicone layer, and a hard outer shell. As the S5 is quite a large phone, almost as large as can be carried comfortably in a trouser pocket, it is just as well that these layers fit so snugly; some other cases simply make the phone too large to carry conveniently.

The phone is still perfectly usable in the case, and I do get the impression that it would be quite well protected if it were to fall from a reasonably small height. However, you may feel safer with a wrap-around case, as this does nothing to protect the screen. As I managed to crack the screen on my S3, by dropping it from less than three feet, I might feel safer with a little more protection for the screen. There's a trade-off between protection and size, and this particular case probably comes down more on the "size" side of that trade-off. Overall therefore, I'm not quite convinced.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, really adds to the experience..., 16 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As other reviewers have stated, this is a really impressive piece of kit. When fully set up, with the subwoofer in action, and with the optimum settings applied, it gives a full, clear, and very LOUD sound, which can really add to the viewer's enjoyment of TV shows and DVDs. I also, more surprisingly, got great results with music, which is easily played through the bar from any bluetooth-enabled device.

I had no prior experience of soundbars, so I really can't comment on whether this is better than any other models, or whether I would have been equally satisfied with a cheaper model; all I can say is that I wouldn't like to go back to not having a soundbar again!

The instructions were easy to follow, which was handy, as set-up is not quite as straightforward as you would imagine. The only disappointment was the common (these days) gripe of necessary cables not being included with the package. We've all got a box of spare cables, but as usual, the one I needed was not here, so I had to temporarily cannibalise another device until I could purchase another HDMI cable. At this level of quality and price, cables really should be included.

Carte Noire Espresso No 5 Delicat 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Carte Noire Espresso No 5 Delicat 10 Coffee Capsules 53 g (Pack of 8)
Price: 18.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly good, and well-priced., 6 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I tried the Carte Noir Collection Espresso capsules on the recommendation of a friend. Each pack comes with 10 capsules with each capsule individually foil wrapped, which takes up unnecessary space and does not fit well into the Nespresso Totem capsule holder. However the benefit is the fleeting aroma of the espresso capsule when you open it from the bag.

I have to admit to some apprehension when trying the capsules for the first time as another alternative brand’s Nespresso capsules did not fit my Magimix Nespresso machine without the use of brute force. However this was unwarranted as the Carte Noir capsules fit without issue. They also fit the Delonghi Lattissima perfectly.

The resulting coffee was quite lovely and would make a great everyday coffee. The flavour itself was quite delicate and whilst I do think the Nespresso capsules are nicer, the Carte Noir Capsules bridge the gap between value and taste quite effectively.

In summary I think the Carte Noire Collection Espresso capsules are at an excellent price point for the quality of the capsules, only marred by the need for a foil bag. If they could be manufactured in sealed pods, they would be close to perfection.

Revell Control XS Nano Quad Micro Quadrocopter (Black)
Revell Control XS Nano Quad Micro Quadrocopter (Black)
Price: 29.94

2.0 out of 5 stars Deplorably poor battery life completely spoils all enjoyment., 23 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd love to be able to write good things about this little toy, so I'll try. It's really cute, with bright blue and red LED Lights to help you follow it in the air; it's quite simple to operate, and it's a lot of fun.... for a couple of minutes.

However, the battery on the 'copter needs charged via USB for forty-five minutes to give an unimpressive FIVE minutes of playing time. This suggests that the technology isn't quite there yet, or do the four LED lights on the unit help to drain the battery so fast? Probably not, because I'm sure the boffins would have removed the lights if that were the case. It's a grown-up's toy; children wouldn't have either the patience or the delicate touch required to master the remote control. The poor battery life could possibly frustrate children even more than it frustrated me (and that was quite a lot!).

As another reviewer pointed out, once you've flown it, what do you do with it? It's too light to carry anything; it would blow away outdoors, and there's a limit to the amount of amusement which can be derived from flying it around the lounge and attempting to land it gently on the table, for four and a half minutes.

It's also rather fragile; thankfully spare rotor blades are provided, as two were required in the first few minutes of play. Unfortunately, the cons heavily outweigh the pros with this little gadget, so I really couldn't recommend anyone purchase it, either for themselves, or as a gift for either a child or an adult.

SanDisk SDCZ88-128G-G46 128 GB Extreme Pro USB 3.0 Flash Drive
SanDisk SDCZ88-128G-G46 128 GB Extreme Pro USB 3.0 Flash Drive
Price: 105.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent build quality and performance. Finally, enough capacity?, 23 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I remember about 12-15 years ago thinking nobody could ever need more than 4Gb storage space, and being amazed when the first pen drives started to appear with their 64Mb of space - in such a small device, astounding!

Now we have laptops and desktop PCs with terabytes of storage; hard disks are increasing in capacity, at the same time as their size is decreasing.

Still, I found myself amazed by this little pen drive - 128Gb of storage on something this size! Phenomenal, but is it any good?

Firstly, the build is good; it feels like a solid piece of kit, and the USB connection neatly retracts into the body of the item, with a reassuring click. It is USB 3.0 compatible, as is my relatively new PC, so I was looking forward to some pretty impressive transfer speeds. I was not disappointed; a 30Gb batch of files was transferred from the drive onto my PC's hard disk in a matter of minutes, with no hitches at all. Previously, this would probably been a whole evening's work, and would no doubt have been interrupted by the odd file failing to transfer, or not being found, etc. In addition, there is software on the disk to allow you to have secure file encryption and password protection, should you so wish. This could be useful, but I have chosen not to use it, having alternative arrangements in place already.

Really, this is probably as big, capacity-wise, as you'll ever need (famous last words), unless you're transferring over entire hard disks, and there are other better mechanisms for such tasks. The only drawback is its price (and that will probably drop over time, as is the way with items such as this), but as far as I can see, it is a top quality item, and you get what you pay for. It will certainly meet my needs for the foreseeable future; I can't recommend it highly enough.

Windows 8.1 Simplified
Windows 8.1 Simplified
by Paul McFedries
Price: 14.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal beginners' guide. Don't expect anything more and you'll be fine., 14 April 2014
This review is from: Windows 8.1 Simplified (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book arrived at just the right time for me, just about to start work on a new PC, and struggling a little with a new operating system.

This guide is clear and informative. It gives enough information to get you going, without overburdening you with unnecessarily technical jargon, or over-complicated explanations. The extensive use of clear screenshots to illustrate many of the simple steps involved is a real plus; constantly re-assuring the user that he is on the right lines. Contrast this with several similar guides which describe a start point, a number of necessary steps, and an end point, with no way to work out where you went wrong if you don't arrive successfully at the end point.

It will obviously be compared with the highly successful "For Dummies" series of books, but it's different. This is far more a beginners' guide, and does not go into nearly as much detail. If that's what you need, this will do you fine; if you need more comprehensive, advanced, or involved instruction, despite its name, go for the "For Dummies" option.

Tacwise HD-73 73/12mm Heavy Duty Plier Bundle Staples (5 Boxes of 5000)
Tacwise HD-73 73/12mm Heavy Duty Plier Bundle Staples (5 Boxes of 5000)
Price: 53.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for "special projects", too big for regular use., 18 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pretty heavy duty piece of kit. Luckily, it arrived just before I was helping a friend to relocate his office. As it is strong enough to deal with quite thick card, it was well used over that weekend reinforcing boxes and stapling together pretty large piles of paper.

Having used it quite extensively over that weekend, I now have it at home, and, to be honest, I can't really see what I'll use it for there. The staples are simply too large for just about anything you will want to do around the house, so it's sitting in the tool cupboard, waiting for the next "special project".

This is a perfectly good heavy duty stapler, and if you have a regular need for such a thing, I would recommend it. But for the average home, I would stick with something a little smaller.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20