Profile for Glasgow Dreamer > Reviews

Content by Glasgow Dreamer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 637

Glasgow Dreamer (Glasgow Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
George Foreman 22160 Advanced 5-Portion Grill and Melt
George Foreman 22160 Advanced 5-Portion Grill and Melt

3.0 out of 5 stars Still just a bit gimmicky., 22 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used this grill now for around a week, making a main meal each day to give it a chance before composing this review.

Although this is allegedly a five portion grill, I'd say you would be really struggling to fit more than three decent-sized portions of most meats on it. However, It is quite large, and takes up a lot of room on the worktop. Unless you have plently room in a fairly large kitchen you will probably find that this is too large for you. Unlike at least one other reviewer, I have found that the item is well-made and sturdy, and the short instructions I received with the grill were certainly enough to get me started.

However, that's really where I stop defending it. I have found that almost everything I have cooked has been rather tasteless. Pork loin steaks became very dry; burgers were rather unevenly cooked, as were some quality beef sausages. There is a drip-tray which should catch any grease escaping from food as it is being cooked, but I found that most of the grease stayed on the lower hot-plate, as it wasn't angled steeply enough for it to roll off. I also tried toasted sandwiches, which were perfectly adequate, and with more practice, I think these could be pretty good, but this should be so much more than a toastie-maker.

The literature also suggests that it is an easy item to clean. The hot plates can be removed and washed along with your dishes, but I found it difficult to totally get rid of the greasy residue. it was no easier than cleaning a grill pan, and probably harder than cleaning a non-stick frying pan. Also, grease does spit out onto other parts of the item, so cleaning is not limited to the two hot plates and the drip-tray.

Overall, it's hard to get away from the idea that this is little more than a gimmick. You will have a grill on your cooker, and if you use a wire griddle then the majority of the grease will fall off anyway. I had really hoped that these items would have improved over tha last ten years, but it appears not. Disappointing.

Wahl Lithium Pro Stubble Trimmer
Wahl Lithium Pro Stubble Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly good budget trimmer. Yet another charger to clog up the drawer., 19 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These budget stubble trimmers have come along in leaps and bounds over the last couple of years. I reviewed one a year or two ago, and I was reasonably positive about it. Having now used this one for ten days or so, I think my earlier review reflected my inexperience with such products.

This trimmer charges up pretty quickly; around an hour for a full charge, which, according to the literature, will give around two hours of use. I have noticed no deterioration in power while using it, although I have probably not used to for any more than an hour in total. There is also a handy "quick charge" option, which will provide enough charge for a trim with only a two-minute charge.

In use, I have found this trimmer to be very easy to use. My first trim took a little longer, simply because I had been accustomed to taking a long time with my previous trimmer, and I was starting with a rather longer beard than usual. However, any time since then, about every second day, I have been able to do a good job in about four or five minutes. The blades don't drag the hairs, so it is not an uncomfortable or painless process, and it does give a good, even trim.

Overall, I'm very happy with this item. It does what it's meant to do, to a decent standard, and it doesn't cost too much. The one niggle I have is that it's just yet another charger to keep in the drawer - the sooner ALL manufacturers get together and agree on a standard, the better. It reallly is getting beyond a joke.

Paper Mate Inkjoy Mini 100 Cap Ball Pen Medium Tip - Assorted Fun Colours (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars These are actually very good., 19 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although obviously marketed as a bit of fun, these are actually very good. As the description states, they do start writing immediately,without dragging. For a ballpoint, there is very little resistance, and no blotting at the point where you start writing - there is no build up of ink on the tips of the pens.

This pack has ten fun colours, all of which are perfectly legible on white paper (so no yellow pen). The pens are shorter than most, only around 11cm, and they are triangular, but still quite comfortable to use. The "pouch" should really be considered as just packaging - it's not particularly good, and will rip at the edges once it has been opened a few times.

Overall, just a fun set of coloured pens, ideal for children, but better than you would expect, particularly as they are priced so competitively.

Rexel JOY Tape Dispenser - Blissful Blue
Rexel JOY Tape Dispenser - Blissful Blue

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks better than it actually is., 10 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What can you say about a tape dispenser. The answer should be "very little", but here we go anyway.

Aesthetically pleasing, if that is imprtant to you, the dispenser is weighted heavily enough that it does not move when the tape is pulled; the four rubber feet on the underside obviously help this; and the serrated blade is sharp enough to cut easily and evenly. So far so good.

BUT, the spindle is a nasty little cheap piece of plastic. It doesn't seem to have been sized very well, as it is just a tiny little bit too small to grip the inside of the tape roll as it should, and its housing is also rather badly designed, as the spindle can pop out of it at any time, as it is too loose.

Unfortunately, I couldn't really recommend this item. It shouldn't be difficult to design an efficient, effective tape dispenser, but Rexel have managed to get this one badly wrong.

Philips S5420/06 Series 5000 Aqua Touch Electric Shaver with Smart Click Precision Trimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality shaver, wet or dry., 24 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have now been using this shaver for almost a month, I deliberately did not submit a review earlier, as it does take a few weeks for your face to become accustomed to a new shaving regime, and for you, as the user, to learn to use the shaver to its best effect.

The first indications were good, as the shaver takes only an hour to be fully charged, a marked improvement on the last couple of electric shavers I have had, which both needed at least four hours for a full charge. On first (dry) use, I found, as expected, that I got rather an uneven shave, but I suspect that was more to do with my technique than with the quality of the equipment. I persisted with dry shaves for a week or so, and I am now perfectly happy with the results.

For the purposes of the review, I tried using it in the shower, but had the entirely predictable problem of missing small patches, as I couldn't see what I was doing. The areas I did cover were nice and smooth, but there were a couple of areas which needed re-doing. I have also tried shaving wet, and with foam or gel. If using foam or gel, I found it necessary to rinse the shaver every few seconds, and I found that I didn't get noticeably better results with foam or gel than I did with water alone.

The only slight gripe I have about this product is that the battery doesn't hold its charge very well. It's great that it charges up in an hour, but I found I had to charge it at least once a week, whereas I have had other shavers with batteries which would comfortably last twice as long.. Overall, though, I am perfectly happy with it, and fully intend to keep isong it for the foreseeable future.

Philips HR1875/21 Avance Collection Quick Clean Juicer, 2.5 Litre, 1000 Watt - Brushed Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, really efficient piece of equipment., 15 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good solid piece of equipment. It is quite large, too tall to fit underneath my eye-level kitchen cupboards while in use, so it does need to be dragged to the front of the work surface before use. This mild inconvenience is really outweighed by the advantages of the machine, in particular its large capacity. The literature claims you can make 2.5 litres in one go; I've never made that much, but a litre and a half is certainly enough to keep me going for a day or two. It looks more complicated than it is, and is really pretty simple to operate.

I'm not a huge fan of many ready-made juices; the mix of fruit always seems to contain something I don't like, often in overpowering quantities. So, I'm really happy to limit myself to melon, pineapple, grapes, cherries, peaches, strawberries and grapefruit. All of these have mixed fine, and it is interesting to formulate your own "recipes" which are closest to your own ideals.

It is really easy to clean, maybe not a one-minute job, as the litereature suggests, but it's certainly not such a daunting task that you may be put off using it, as with some other items (I'm looking at you, food processor).

Overall, I'm really happy with it, probably more so than I expected. If I'm not too careful, I'll be getting healthy!

Igenix Bayonet Cap 60 W Round Lamp, Pack of 10, Opal White
Igenix Bayonet Cap 60 W Round Lamp, Pack of 10, Opal White

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and bright, but not energy-saving., 15 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm perfectly happy with these bulbs. I have used two of them in small lamps, and they do give off an instant, bright light. This is, in itself, quite a welcome novelty as every other bulb in my house is one of the newer energy-saving bulbs which brighten more gradually (i.e. slowly). I can't comment on their longevity, as I've only used them for a week, and neither or them have failed yet.

If your conscience will allow you to use such "un-green" items, then I would recommend these, although I do have to admit to feeling a little guilty.

Panasonic RPHXS200EA On Ear Street Headphones - Blue
Panasonic RPHXS200EA On Ear Street Headphones - Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap in every way. To be avoided., 7 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is, in every way, a cheap pair of headphones. Although, on first glance, they look quite attractive, it is immediately clear that their build is tacky and of low quality.

The sound is also rather tinny, and the phones simply do not deal with bass. Noise insulation (in AND out) is practically non-existent, so the wearer can quite clearly hear other things going on around him, while those close to him won't have much trouble working out what he is listening to.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that there must be better similar phones available at the price, as I believe the price at which these are currently available is simply too low to expect a quality product. I had hoped for a pleasant surprise, but unfortunately didn't get one. Spend a little more, and you may be able to get a decent budget-price pair, but don't be tempted to go for this pair.

Déjà Vu
Déjà Vu
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding album, one or two reservations, 21 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Déjà Vu (Audio CD)
Feeling nostalgic for my long lost youth, I bought this album, not really sure what to expect. Overall, it's pretty good; most of the individual tracks are of a pretty high standard, and not too similar too each other. In Giorgio's 70s heyday, he tended to use session singers, such as Madeline Bell or Sue and Sunny, or relative unknowns like Chris Bennett, on his albums. This album features a succession of different "name" featured vocalists, and because of that, it doesn't really hold together well as a whole. It is more like a compilation album, albeit one where the style is pretty constant throughout. Using guests such as Kylie, Kelis and Foxes takes the attention away from Giorgio himself, as does the inclusion of a Britney Spears cover of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner". It is worth noting that the standout track, by a mile, is "74 Is The New 24", and it's Giorgio on his own, with no named collaborator.

If you purchase this deluxe version, you will receive a second disc, with four mainly instrumental extra track; a Remix (not by Giorgio himself) of "74 Is The New 24", and three further tracks, not on the album proper. While this is a decent bonus, it is worth pointing out that the total length of the two discs is still under an hour - it could all have comfortably been contained on one disc. Also, it could have been more interesting to have some extended remixes by Giorgio himself.

The two points above stop me from giving the full five stars, but it is still a worthwhile ppurchase.

AnySharp Plastic and Stainless Steel Mini Chopper, Black
AnySharp Plastic and Stainless Steel Mini Chopper, Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small, and badly made., 19 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very small chopper. Anything larger than about two inches in diameter simply won't fit in it. If you want to chop nuts or garlic, it'll be fine, but for almost anything else, it's pretty useless.

I did try chopping an onion into smaller parts before using the device, and that worked, but if I already had my knife and chopping board ready, it really would have been as easy for me to continue chopping with the knife!

It is a simple device, but there are next to no instructions provided, and I have so far found it impossible to take the item apart for a proper clean. I suspect some glue has run when the item was put together, as it stubbornly refuses to budge even a little in any direction when attempting to dismantle it. It looks like it'll be going in the bin sooner, rather than later, as it really can't be cleaned properly without dismantling.

To sum up, it is too small to be particuarly useful, and my item is badly finished, making it impossible to clean properly. I couldn't recommend you buy this - you may get a better made one, but you might not.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20