Profile for Glasgow Dreamer > Reviews

Content by Glasgow Dreamer
Top Reviewer Ranking: 665

Glasgow Dreamer (Glasgow Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips S5420/06 Series 5000 Aqua Touch Electric Shaver with Smart Click Precision Trimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great quality shaver, wet or dry., 24 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have now been using this shaver for almost a month, I deliberately did not submit a review earlier, as it does take a few weeks for your face to become accustomed to a new shaving regime, and for you, as the user, to learn to use the shaver to its best effect.

The first indications were good, as the shaver takes only an hour to be fully charged, a marked improvement on the last couple of electric shavers I have had, which both needed at least four hours for a full charge. On first (dry) use, I found, as expected, that I got rather an uneven shave, but I suspect that was more to do with my technique than with the quality of the equipment. I persisted with dry shaves for a week or so, and I am now perfectly happy with the results.

For the purposes of the review, I tried using it in the shower, but had the entirely predictable problem of missing small patches, as I couldn't see what I was doing. The areas I did cover were nice and smooth, but there were a couple of areas which needed re-doing. I have also tried shaving wet, and with foam or gel. If using foam or gel, I found it necessary to rinse the shaver every few seconds, and I found that I didn't get noticeably better results with foam or gel than I did with water alone.

The only slight gripe I have about this product is that the battery doesn't hold its charge very well. It's great that it charges up in an hour, but I found I had to charge it at least once a week, whereas I have had other shavers with batteries which would comfortably last twice as long.. Overall, though, I am perfectly happy with it, and fully intend to keep isong it for the foreseeable future.

Philips HR1875/21 Avance Collection Quick Clean Juicer, 2.5 Litre, 1000 Watt - Brushed Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, really efficient piece of equipment., 15 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good solid piece of equipment. It is quite large, too tall to fit underneath my eye-level kitchen cupboards while in use, so it does need to be dragged to the front of the work surface before use. This mild inconvenience is really outweighed by the advantages of the machine, in particular its large capacity. The literature claims you can make 2.5 litres in one go; I've never made that much, but a litre and a half is certainly enough to keep me going for a day or two. It looks more complicated than it is, and is really pretty simple to operate.

I'm not a huge fan of many ready-made juices; the mix of fruit always seems to contain something I don't like, often in overpowering quantities. So, I'm really happy to limit myself to melon, pineapple, grapes, cherries, peaches, strawberries and grapefruit. All of these have mixed fine, and it is interesting to formulate your own "recipes" which are closest to your own ideals.

It is really easy to clean, maybe not a one-minute job, as the litereature suggests, but it's certainly not such a daunting task that you may be put off using it, as with some other items (I'm looking at you, food processor).

Overall, I'm really happy with it, probably more so than I expected. If I'm not too careful, I'll be getting healthy!

Igenix Bayonet Cap 60 W Round Lamp, Pack of 10, Opal White
Igenix Bayonet Cap 60 W Round Lamp, Pack of 10, Opal White

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and bright, but not energy-saving., 15 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm perfectly happy with these bulbs. I have used two of them in small lamps, and they do give off an instant, bright light. This is, in itself, quite a welcome novelty as every other bulb in my house is one of the newer energy-saving bulbs which brighten more gradually (i.e. slowly). I can't comment on their longevity, as I've only used them for a week, and neither or them have failed yet.

If your conscience will allow you to use such "un-green" items, then I would recommend these, although I do have to admit to feeling a little guilty.

Panasonic RPHXS200EA On Ear Street Headphones - Blue
Panasonic RPHXS200EA On Ear Street Headphones - Blue

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap in every way. To be avoided., 7 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is, in every way, a cheap pair of headphones. Although, on first glance, they look quite attractive, it is immediately clear that their build is tacky and of low quality.

The sound is also rather tinny, and the phones simply do not deal with bass. Noise insulation (in AND out) is practically non-existent, so the wearer can quite clearly hear other things going on around him, while those close to him won't have much trouble working out what he is listening to.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that there must be better similar phones available at the price, as I believe the price at which these are currently available is simply too low to expect a quality product. I had hoped for a pleasant surprise, but unfortunately didn't get one. Spend a little more, and you may be able to get a decent budget-price pair, but don't be tempted to go for this pair.

Déjà Vu
Déjà Vu
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sounding album, one or two reservations, 21 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Déjà Vu (Audio CD)
Feeling nostalgic for my long lost youth, I bought this album, not really sure what to expect. Overall, it's pretty good; most of the individual tracks are of a pretty high standard, and not too similar too each other. In Giorgio's 70s heyday, he tended to use session singers, such as Madeline Bell or Sue and Sunny, or relative unknowns like Chris Bennett, on his albums. This album features a succession of different "name" featured vocalists, and because of that, it doesn't really hold together well as a whole. It is more like a compilation album, albeit one where the style is pretty constant throughout. Using guests such as Kylie, Kelis and Foxes takes the attention away from Giorgio himself, as does the inclusion of a Britney Spears cover of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner". It is worth noting that the standout track, by a mile, is "74 Is The New 24", and it's Giorgio on his own, with no named collaborator.

If you purchase this deluxe version, you will receive a second disc, with four mainly instrumental extra track; a Remix (not by Giorgio himself) of "74 Is The New 24", and three further tracks, not on the album proper. While this is a decent bonus, it is worth pointing out that the total length of the two discs is still under an hour - it could all have comfortably been contained on one disc. Also, it could have been more interesting to have some extended remixes by Giorgio himself.

The two points above stop me from giving the full five stars, but it is still a worthwhile ppurchase.

AnySharp Plastic and Stainless Steel Mini Chopper, Black
AnySharp Plastic and Stainless Steel Mini Chopper, Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small, and badly made., 19 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a very small chopper. Anything larger than about two inches in diameter simply won't fit in it. If you want to chop nuts or garlic, it'll be fine, but for almost anything else, it's pretty useless.

I did try chopping an onion into smaller parts before using the device, and that worked, but if I already had my knife and chopping board ready, it really would have been as easy for me to continue chopping with the knife!

It is a simple device, but there are next to no instructions provided, and I have so far found it impossible to take the item apart for a proper clean. I suspect some glue has run when the item was put together, as it stubbornly refuses to budge even a little in any direction when attempting to dismantle it. It looks like it'll be going in the bin sooner, rather than later, as it really can't be cleaned properly without dismantling.

To sum up, it is too small to be particuarly useful, and my item is badly finished, making it impossible to clean properly. I couldn't recommend you buy this - you may get a better made one, but you might not.

Greatest
Greatest

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what you want, but great music., 16 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Greatest (Audio CD)
Undoubtedly a record company cash-in; you can't however question the quality of the music, and it's great to hear the songs again, although you probably have them all on one (or more) of the many other available compilations.

There are a couple of problems with this disc. Why include "Do You Wanna Dance" instead of the lead track of the EP "Dreamy Lady" which got all the airplay and is definitely much more popular? Also, this compilation starts at "Telegram Sam", obviously for licensing reasons, as that was the beginning of Marc's own label at EMI, which originally issued all the tracks on this disc. That means no "Ride A White Swan", "Hot Love", "Get It On" or "Jeepster", which might be a bit of a disappointment to some casual buyers who just want the hits at a cheap price. And less than 40 minutes music!

As I mentioned earlier, the music is fantastic; the overall package not quite so good.

FFS - Digipack
FFS - Digipack

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pop album; return to form for Sparks, 16 Jun. 2015
This review is from: FFS - Digipack (Audio CD)
Like many of you reading this, I had heard a couple of the tracks from this album over the past few weeks, and seen their performance on Jools Holland's "Later". I have to say, on the strength of that, I wasn't really expecting this album to be very good.

However, once I had listened to the album as a whole, I'm converted. I'm not very familiar with Franz Fredinand's material, but this is easily Sparks' finest work since "Lil' Beethoven", thirteen years ago. The sound seems far more substantial on the CD than it had on the tracks I had heard prior to release - "P*** Off", "Johnny Delusional", "Police Encounters" and "Collaborations Don't Work", and they all sound far better for it. When Sparks are at their overblown best, it needs a full, loud sound, and that is certainly present in most of the tracks here.

The album opens with "Johnny Delusional" and "Call Girl", both strong tracks and recognisable Sparks songs, and the following few tracks maybe display a little more of the FF influence, but mostly they are pretty good - "Dictator's Son" is a solid pop song; "Little Guy From The Suburbs" is almost a ballad; the chorus to "Police Encounters" is so corny it could have beeen embarassing, but they pull it off; and "Save Me From Myself" owes quite a bit to the Kinks.

"So Desu Ne", "The Man Without A Tan" and "Things I Won't Get" are all calmer tracks, but all offer something. The album proper ends with three of the strongest tracks, "The Power Couple", "Collaborations Don't Work" and "P*** Off". "Collaborations Don't Work" in particular is an excellent track. It's quite a complex track (Sparks' "Bohemian Rhapsopdy" - maybe not quite, but you get the idea), and I had to listen a few times while it grew on me. It's probably the one track on the whole album where you really need both Sparks and FF.

The deluxe version of the album has four further tracks, and while perfectly pleasant, none of them are better than anything on the album proper, so listening to the whole disc can leave you feeling a little flat. The proper album ends very strongly, and these four tracks are a bit of an anti-climax - it's nice to have them, though.

Overall, it's a very good pop album, easily Sparks best for a long time, and it seems to have caught the public's imagination. I'm not sure projects like this should be repeated, but let's hope it hearalds another golden era for Sparks music and their fans.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2015 3:42 PM BST

Taylors of Harrogate Espresso Coffee Capsules Nespresso Compatible Colombian Huila (Pack of 6, Total 60 Capsules)

3.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable, but unremarkable., 12 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have not used official Nespresso capsules for over a year now, so this review will be a comparison against competing third-party capsules.

When using third-party capsules, a big concern is the construction - how well do they fit in my machine? Well, these Taylors capsules fit in my Delonghi Lattissima very well. There is little to no resistance to closing the handle, and the machine has no trouble puncturing the capsule. When using some other brands, my machine can pour several seconds of water before it manages to find some coffee. The capsules are also sealed rather than having to be in individual sealed bags.

Another concern is obviously flavour. Here, I found these capsules to be unremarkable. Pleasant enough, but these are marked as a 9. I would say they are closer to the 5-6 range, not all that strong.

Finally, price. At their current price, these are expensive. At pretty much the same price as the official Nespresso capsules, I fail to see the point.

AZATOM Freedom RSX Professional Earphones
AZATOM Freedom RSX Professional Earphones
Offered by 4 COOL TECHNOLOGY

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly acceptable, but professional?, 8 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are perfectly good earphones. As some other reviewers have stated, the use of the word "Professional" in the item description may lead you to believe you may be getting something rather better than they actually are.

The earphones come in a very nice package, which includes a small "leather look" zipped pouch, big enough to contain the phones, and the six spare pairs of "Ear Tips" supplied in the package. Once the most comfortable set had been selected, I found the earphones quite comfortable - they stay in the ear well, but are not tight enough to cause any discomfort. The sound was perfectly acceptable, but nothing special, pretty much what you would expect from a mid-range pair of phones, which is what these are.

As long as your expectations are nott oo high, you should be perfectly happy with a pair of these.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20