Profile for P. Russell-Wilks > Reviews

Content by P. Russell-Wilks

P. Russell-Wilks

IOGEAR AVIOR 8-Port HDMI Switch with Remote and RS-232, GHSW8181 (with Remote and RS-232)

3.0 out of 5 stars No uk power supply but product works well., 23 Dec. 2013
The cons:
The listing does not state that this HDMI switch only comes with a US power supply. I contacted the seller who refunded some of the price for this. I am using a US to UK adaptor as the input voltage for the switch is 5.3V. I contacted the manufacturer and they stated that a 5.0V one won't work. I am yet to find a 5.3V UK spec power supply.
The other bad thing is that the stainless front panel has started to detach at one end - this doesn't bode well for build quality.
The good:
The switch box seems to switch quite happily between the different sources without issue. It lights up on the front to let you know which inputs are connected.
It has passed through all of the sources that I have tried: Bluray player, DVD player, X Box, Mac Mini, BT Vision Box
The unknown:
I bought the box for its RS 232 connection. To date, I haven't tried switching with this yet - I hope to have a go over the Christmas/New Year break and will update my review accordingly.
I have not tried to pass through audio or 3D through the switch so I don't know if these will work.
Would I buy it again?
Yes, as I needed a switch box that would take 5 sources, most of the boxes I found were for 4 sources. I will live with its faults, but it would have been better if the power supply issues were included in the Amazon listing.

Griffin PowerJolt 6131-PWRJLTW  - White
Griffin PowerJolt 6131-PWRJLTW - White
Offered by eoutlet-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 1 Aug. 2009
The product works well and seems to be well made. I would happily recommend this product to a friend. The only thing that would count against it is that it has the locking clips that clip into the phone. My original iphone cable doesn't have the clips so it is easier to remove from the phone when it s in a cradle in the car. This is however, a minor fault and wouldn't stop me buying it.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars SP 250 Review, 23 April 2009
I bought my SP 250 just over a year ago as my first piano. As I product, I am very pleased with it. The build quality is very good and the feel of the keyboard is very tactile and the weight of the keys just right. I have been able to connect it into my computer via the midi port to increase the number of sounds it can make. The big disappointment that I have had with this product is the abysmal customer service from Korg. I bought the keyboard as an ex demo from my local music shop. There was a mark on the back of the case so I thought I would enquire via the Korg website about a replacement. I originally contacted them in October 2008. Initially they were fairly rude asking me if I was serious about asking for a quote as they would have to send an email to Japan! I assured them that I was serious -why would you ask for the cost of something and not be interested in it?! However, it is now nearly the end of April 2009 and I am still no closer to receiving an answer despite numerous emails from me to them (they now no longer answer mine at all).
Therefore, in conclusion whilst I am happy with the product itself, the support has been so awful that I cannot recommend it to anyone because if the product developed a fault I don't think Korg would be too bothered about fixing it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2011 12:22 PM GMT

4 Port PCI Express USB 2.0 Adapter Card
4 Port PCI Express USB 2.0 Adapter Card

3.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with all macs., 27 Nov. 2008
I purchased this card for my Mac Pro. Unfortunately, when I plugged it in, it didn't seem to work. I contacted the free technical support who responded quickly. Unfortunately, this card seems to be made with a NEC chipset that is incompatible with MAC 10.5. Apparently, only VIA chipsets will work?? Amazon refunded my purchase without problem though so I'd still rate the card and company highly although clearer advertising would have helped.

The Superior Person's Book of Words
The Superior Person's Book of Words
by Peter Bowler

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 28 July 2007
This book makes very entertaining and informative reading. It is particularly useful for creating veiled insults for the typical "middle management types" who seem to enjoy such abysmal phases as "blue sky thinking" and use words such as paradigm completely out of context. The descriptions given for each word are both funny and interesting. I have given a few copies out to my friends and they've also found it very entertaining.