Profile for A. Standen > Reviews

Ryo Hazuki Shenmue First4Figures Statue
Ryo Hazuki Shenmue First4Figures Statue
Offered by M and N Media US

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait, 9 April 2015
When these were first released back in 2013 I wasn't in a financial situation where I could reasonably justify spending such an amount on a luxury item. Which was much to my annoyance as I am (as many others also are) a huge Shenmue fan, still owning both games on my Dreamcast and forever hoping one day for a third instalment. So there my interest sadly had to end.

Now skip forward to 2015 and something reminded me of these limited edition statues, I decided to have a quick search online. Thinking that they would have all sold out by now my search was more out of interest than anything else. As to be expected the Phonix Mirror edition was completely sold out worldwide. However seeing that there were still a few of the Ryo Yokosuka versions still available took me by complete surprise. Without even thinking I knew I could not miss this chance and had to order it.

Pictures don't really do the statue justice, a fine piece of work and extradoriary dedication has clearly gone into making it. It may not be the Phoenix Mirror version but that matters little to me, the fact I managed to get a hold of one of these incredible statues is enough for me.

If they release any more in the series (fingers crossed for a Lan Di Dragon Mirror one) then I will not hesitate to order.

Derek - Series 2 [DVD]
Derek - Series 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ricky Gervais

3.0 out of 5 stars Cogito ergo sum, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Derek - Series 2 [DVD] (DVD)
Ok yes I do realise I'm going against the grain here by maybe not liking this second series of Derek perhaps as much as others, but do here me out before you hit the not helpful button ;)

I would also like to state for the record that I'm a huge Ricky Gervais fan whether it's the podcasts, audiobooks, xfm, the office etc (even if he did block me on twitter....I simply responded to his question of "how would people feel about a third series" or words to that effect. I, politely, said that I don't think there should be a third series. Obviously had I known I'd get blocked for just the slightest bit of criticism then I wouldn't have dreamt of replying, but never mind now haha)

I can't fault too much about this second series, it's the similarities with the first series I find fault with. There's just too many of them, I find it lazy. Things like everyone going for a day out at the seaside/zoo. Rescue animals visiting the home. I think to myself that I've seen all this before but in a slightly different scenario, why do I need to watch it again?

Series two simply hasn't progressed the overall story enough for me. Some of the great TV program's of the last few years have done this impeccably well, breaking bad, game of thrones etc. Yes I know they are wholly different program's but the same rules apply. Bringing it back even to one of Gervais' own shows with the marvellous Extras, Extras managed to move the story along over both series plus xmas special brilliantly. Starts off as an extra, gets own sitcom, craves more success etc.

Also the almost unforgivable decision to drop Dougie, I don't understand the logic behind that move. In my opinion the two best characters are Dougie and Kev, so why get rid of one? I'm sure there are reasons behind it, which I won't speculate about here as they would simply be my assumptions and nothing more.

Overall it's not a bad show, it's heart is firmly in the right place, nothing wrong with the acting or writing. Funny and emotional. But for me it should have stopped after series one on a high.

This is all just my humble opinion and I don't expect everyone will agree with it but that's the beauty of being human. We're allowed to disagree and criticise where need be.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2014 5:39 PM BST

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed Revelations Double Pack (Xbox 360)
Offered by FUN-N-MORE

4.0 out of 5 stars The Animus Awaits, 6 April 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If your buying this then most likely you have already played at least one of the prior two games, so already you know what to expect.

Brotherhood picks up straight away from the second game and thrusts you back into the assassins creed mythology.

I've rated this only the four out of five stars because revelations isn't the strongest game in the series, it is very short when compared to the other games. And the story for me isn't quite as enthralling as the others.

Although a plus for me is the modern day Desmond arc, I found it to be much more engrossing than before. Before whenever you switched back to Desmond (especially in the first game) I found myself desperate to get back into the animus. Now I am more than happy to play as Desmond.

Casino Royale/ Quantum of Solace Double Pack [Blu-ray] [2006]
Casino Royale/ Quantum of Solace Double Pack [Blu-ray] [2006]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars The Name's Bond.....James Bond, 26 Oct. 2012
Not too much to say here, we all know what to expect of a 007 film. Got this in the run up to the new James Bond adventure (Skyfall) being released.

Firstly I will say that Craig is perfectly cast as Bond. Of the two films here in the collection Casino Royale as stated previously in almost any review you read is clearly the superior film. Filled with suspense and excitement, something which Quantum of Solace just seems to be lacking. Quantum was never really the sequel which Casino Royale deserved. Possibly the least memorable villain imaginable and a incredibly boring plot.

That said both films look truly amazing in blu-ray and for that reason alone is worth purchasing.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 5, 2012 8:43 AM GMT

Lord of the Rings: War in the North (Xbox 360)
Lord of the Rings: War in the North (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

3.0 out of 5 stars I Prefer the War in the South, 11 Oct. 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Firstly I would like to say that it is clear the developers had good intentions for this game, however that alone does not make a game.

Yes the graphics are good in places but the game play is repetitive beyond belief, basic hack and slash game play where you start at a certain point and are unable to deviate to any degree and merely have to fight your way through to the end of level boss. After a while I found this very tiresome. If it were not for the different scenery you could be mistaken for thinking every level were the same.

Now I can forgive the above point as I knew this was the case before I bought the game, what I cannot forgive is the incredibly one-dimensional characters. This took me truly by surprise. All three have to be the most do-gooder type characters ever invented with the most pathetic personalities you could imagine. It's hard to describe just how naff they are. It wasn't long before I was skipping the cut scenes. And because of this I just couldn't get into the storyline, maybe it was also the fact that I knew this to be a non-canon story. This made it feel more like a chore to finish the game instead of the want to finish it.

All that said, there are far worse games to play; but let's be perfectly honest, this is no five star game. Five stars should be reserved for games like Skyrim, Arkham City etc. This is some way off those standards.

Coexist
Coexist

4.0 out of 5 stars No Such Thing as a Difficult Second Album Anymore, 10 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Coexist (Audio CD)
More of the same here from The xx, which is precisely why I bought the album. Coexist has a very similar feel to their debut album, almost a continuation of the mercury award winning debut.

If you liked their debut you'll be hard pressed to find fault here. It was a tough ask to follow XX but they more than match the hype.

Chained and fiction have to be the highlights for me.

Lost - Season 2 - Complete [Blu-ray]
Lost - Season 2 - Complete [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Josh Holloway
Offered by bubblegum uk

5.0 out of 5 stars 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42.......4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42, 30 Jun. 2012
Following on from Lost season 1 was never going to be an easy task but season 2 more than lives up to the challenge. Naturally we get more questions posed to us than answers given, but that was what Lost is all about. One of the rare program's not afraid to talk up to the audience instead of down like so many others.

People could argue that in places season 2 literally lost its way and the writers struggled to define where they were heading. And granted at 24 episodes this is a very long season and it is very easy to see which are the mere filler episodes. Part of the reason Lost managed to step up another gear in seasons 4,5 and 6 was because they condensed the amount of episodes down. However I can overlook these minor issues and appreciate the season for what it is.

So whilst not perfect it more than amply sets the scene for things to come and leaves you wanting more.

After all Lost was one of those rare programs that come along every now and then which you just have to sit back and admire. Blu-Ray was made to showcase shows like this.

The Bourne Identity  (Bourne 1)
The Bourne Identity (Bourne 1)
by Robert Ludlum

4.0 out of 5 stars Cogito Ergo Sum, 23 Jun. 2012
I could never quite get fully immersed in The Bourne Identity, I appreciated its depth and what it was trying to do. However I found it so needlessly complex at times. Part of this also may be the fact it was written for a 1980's audience and now reading it in 2012 some of the methods used by characters in the book are no longer relevant, or are just plain outdated.

I made the wrong assumption (like many before me I'm sure) that the film was based on the book, starting in similar fashion it isn't too long before the film goes off in a different direction. Comparing the two I can see they share strands of the same DNA but not as much as I thought they would have. Whilst this threw me off at first it does allow you to get a totally different perspective of the character and what Ludlum was trying to achieve.

However saying all that I definitely enjoyed it and it is very much worth reading by anyone and I look forward to starting the sequel.

The Terracotta Warriors
The Terracotta Warriors
by Jane Portal

4.0 out of 5 stars Warriors to the End of Time, 22 April 2012
I first read this book back in 2007 when it was first published; whilst going back through my book collection I found it once again. Having my fascination stirred again by the terracotta warriors I dusted it off and decided to re-read it.

It may only be 96 pages long but this is a very accessible book to read for anyone. If you have next to no knowledge of the warriors then this is the perfect place to start. The book gives you a brief insight into why they were created and by who. You get taken into their world and get to see not only the foot soldiers but the generals, chariots, civil officials and the acrobats who were to entertain the emperor even in death. All (plus many more) were created with startling realism.

Granted if you already know a lot about the terracotta warriors then your not going to learn much more here but I'd still advise reading the book due to the astonishing pictures enclosed within.

A great book containing a look back at a bygone age.

Green Lantern [DVD] [2011]
Green Lantern [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Ryan Reynolds
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

2.0 out of 5 stars Blackest Night, 10 April 2012
This review is from: Green Lantern [DVD] [2011] (DVD)
An insult to all comic book fans of Green Lantern. That's the only way I can sum this film up. There is so much wrong with it that it beggars belief. The simple way of putting it is to say that the only things in common this film has with the comics is the character names, everything and everyone else though has been changed and totally ruined.

The main issue I have (of which there are many) is Parallax, the filmmakers have taken his origin and thrown it out the window so they could merge it with another villain (Krona) and form their own one. What we get are two of the finest Green Lantern villains mixed together to form one and it just doesn't work.

And don't get me started on the Guardians of the Universe, if there was a supposed budget of $200 million then why was it not spent on the effects shots? The guardians look like was weird plastic hybrid smurfs...and that's being kind.

Ryan Reynolds was completely misplaced just so the filmmakers could move into a action/comedy direction to attract people less familiar with the Green Lantern. This worked for ironman but fails miserably here.

Had they stuck with the source material this could have been a good film (much like how The Dark Knight took inspiration from the comics) but alas they didn't.

A few plusses are Sinestro and Hector Hammond were done reasonably well but this doesn't save the film from being an embarrassment to the fans who read the comics.

It pained me to watch one of my favourite superheroes paraded around like this and I'm sure I'm not the only one who just hopes that they don't press ahead with a sequel.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4