ARRAY(0xb5526474)

Profile for D. N. Beddard > Reviews

Content by D. N. Beddard

D. N. Beddard "D. N. Beddard" (Dorset, UK)

Komputerbay 64GB SDXC Secure Digital Extended Capacity Speed Class 10 Flash Memory Card 15MB/s Write 20MB/s Read 64 GB
Offered by KOMPBAY
Price: 25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should, 3 Sep 2013
What can one write in a review of a memory card? It functions to spec and is an SDXC memory card, doing what it in should in the way it advertises that it will.

The lesser-known brand shouldn't put you off. I bought to go with a Canon SX50 HS bridge camera, hoping that it will serve for long journeys to the far corners of the world. I've already taken many JPEG photos at full resolution but the camera's shot counter hasn't yet dropped below 9999. I've not yet tested it with RAW capture. I've experienced no delays after taking a picture - the auto-focus speed is more of a limitation on shot frequency than the card.

The card marks itself as "professional", although I'm simply an amateur who didn't want to compromise too much on memory speed. So far, I've not been let down.

Panasonic RP-HJE450E-W Ergo Fit Ear Canal Headphones - White
Panasonic RP-HJE450E-W Ergo Fit Ear Canal Headphones - White
Offered by Picsio
Price: 11.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for voices, 17 July 2012
A few years ago I bought a pair of Panasonic RP-HJE170 earphones and have loved them ever since, but the earbuds have worn out and as a budding audiophile I decided to move up a stage in quality (not least because my beloved 170s are no longer produced). So I bought a pair of 450Es, trusting that if Panasonic made their starter earphones so well, these would be even better.

The fit is comfortable, the adjustable earbuds doing a lovely job. You won't bug anyone around you with your music because there's hardly any sound leakage - even at full volume. The slider thingy on the cable is quite slippery, if that matters.

There's no doubt that the sound is sharp and detailed with a good sense of depth. But while my 170s made music sound like it was playing live in my brain, the 450Es make it feel a bit like I'm hearing the music playing through the wall from a pub nextdoor. The bass tones are too high and the mid-tones are too low; choirs (tested using the film scores of John Williams) and higher female singers (Ellie Goulding) are drowned out, male singers sound as if their mouths were pressed right against the microphones when they were recorded(Badly Drawn Boy). Orchestras sound cumbersome, lacking the rich, energetic mixture of the juicy mid-tones and missing emphasis from what what would otherwise be a passable treble ("Rhapsody in Blue" by Gershwin). That said, the bass isn't overpowering and won't give you any headaches. To use another analogy: my 170s were like listening to honey while the 450Es are like listening to treacle. Golden syrup would count as perfection, but given the alternatives I'll take honey. The box says "Acoustic Precision Control", but the simple fact is that they got it wrong.

I could have given the 450Es three stars because their performance on rock and grunge sounds was pretty good (The Cardigans sounded fantastic) but, for me, if you can't make everything sound good then why bother? So the 450Es only get 2 stars.

Panasonic RP-HJE450E-K  Ergo Fit Ear Canal Headphones - Black

Offered by PASSA
Price: 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Burn them in and rejoice!, 17 July 2012
~~~~~EDIT (16/11/12)~~~~~
So after a couple of weeks of frequent use, I've fallen in love with these earphones and, though I feel dirty for it, I've very happily got over the loss of my 170s!

Once they've burned in, these earphones are magic. The detail in the sound is remarkable! But this is a double edged sword. Get a music source which is prone to generating a bit of noise in its output, like my phone, and you get every little detail of the source noise reproduced in beautiful quality on top of magnificent music. However, attach these beautiful earphones to a higher quality source, like my laptop, and the music comes alive! The sound balance is perfect, delivering all the right frequencies for the all the different styles and recordings of music.

As mentioned in my previous edit, noise isolation is OK but not brilliant, but I've walked along busy roads with little difficulty hearing my music, being bothered more by the phone crackle than the sounds of traffic. In fact, being able to hear some of the noise of the outside world is rather helpful from a personal safety perspective! The fit is very comfortable and I've worn them happily for hours. Not having had much experience of other earphones

So to the rating! Out of the box I wrote these off with 2*. After burning them in (see below) I upped my rating to 4*. After some thought I've decided to give the RP-HJE450s the full whack of 5*! What you get for the price is superb and my music library has never sounded better.

-----EDIT (28/10/12)-----

I kept going with my beloved 170s for as long as possible but lost them the other day (so sad!). As such I started shopping around for proper replacements. Everywhere I went I kept reading people's comments about how dynamic drivers in earphones like these need time to "burn in", which struck me as odd. But lots of different people wrote said it in lots of different places about many different earphones so I thought I'd take another look at these 450s as I still had them lying around. I left them playing for about 10 hours solid on all different kinds of music shuffled from my wide selection to "burn in" every possible frequency (I got on with other things in the meantime, in case you wondered). I did pop back to listen to the difference every now and then and the sound did change as time went on. At one point it sounded like every singer was lisping and that all percussion was being funnelled through a thin metal pipe to get to my ears and the bass was just low noise with the treble suffering from distortion and crackle.

BUT, rather like the folk story of Tam Lyn, having gone through all manor of horrors and transfigurations, after many hours of playing and then many hours of rest and a few more hours of playing THE SOUND HAS BECOME PRETTY GOOD! So everything I said below about these earphones is true straight out of the box, but it would seem that they need to be run-in, like shoes. And because I wasn't listening to all of these hours of playing it's not just because my ears have grown accustomed to the sound.

Gershwin sounds rich and satisfying, Badly Drawn Boy sounds clear and soulful, Ellie Goulding sounds stunning, John Williams sounds majestic. The Cardigans still sound awesome. So I've changed my rating to 4*. There are still some slight quibbles with the sound that I just can't quite put my finger on, but the improvement is huge and almost unbelievable! And, one thing I forgot to mention before: the 450s, like the 170s I so loved, play louder at lower volumes than other earphones I've tried, so even though the noise isolation from the rubber earbuds isn't total, these have enough punch to drown out the world even if your music player still has a few more notches on the volume dial.

If they continue to improve then I'll edit this review again. Apologies for previously misrepresenting these magnificent value-for-money earphones!

-------------------
ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Momo (Puffin Books)
Momo (Puffin Books)
by Ende Michael
Price: 5.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Open up and let it in, 16 July 2012
This review is from: Momo (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
This is quite possibly my favourite book. It's certainly the only book I'll recommend but won't lend for fear of losing it; I buy another copy to give them because I'm that confident that they'll love it!

The pleasure of "Momo" for me is more in the story than in the storytelling, although it's possible that a little is lost in translation. While some authors - like Thomas Hardy - offer sumptuous, almost visceral descriptions and others offer arduous levels of detail - Dickens, Tolkein - Ende's style is quite plainly-spoken with neither too much nor too little of anything. This is the only reason I have for withholding a fifth star from my rating, because I personally wish Ende had allowed himself to wax-lyrical every now and then. But this shouldn't put you off, because the story is easily one of the best you'll ever read and it could even change the way you look at life as it did for me. Open yourself to the story and your let your imagination be skilfully and gently guided.

In case this makes the book sounds boring for younger readers, let me assure you that I first read this book when I was 11 and loved it then just as much as now.

If you enjoy the poetry of Max Ehrmann then you should enjoy this book just as much. If you enjoy this book but have never heard of Max Ehrmann then look him up!

Casio Gents Watch Casio Collection W-E11D-7AVEF
Casio Gents Watch Casio Collection W-E11D-7AVEF

5.0 out of 5 stars Robust, clear, comfortable and simple., 1 May 2011
This is the third W-E11D I've purchased. The first is still on my wrist. I bought it in 2004 but stopped wearing it for a while when the strap broke and I was told I'd have to pay through the nose to send it back to Casio for a replacement (which I later learnt to be pure claptrap, hence why it's back on my wrist). The second watch was purchased because of said broken strap (can you believe it was cheaper to buy a new watch than to send off the watch for the replacement strap!) but was stolen in August 2006. I then extended my search for replacement straps and got the first watch dealt with. This third watch has been purchased in readiness for when my first watch gives up. I bought it now because it seems Casio sadly no longer produce this model and I like it. My first watch has survived a lot, attending Scout camps and activity trips and being accidentally dropped numerous times. The only signs of age are that some of the shininess has worn off and the "Start" button is stiff almost to the point of being unusable. With better treatment this watch can last an awfully long time.

The display is clear, the functionality is simple, it lies quite flat against your wrist so causes little discomfort beneath sleaves and the other functions are occasionally useful; I use the countdown timer when cooking.

If you just want something to tell the time then this is overkill. If you want something up to military standard for high adventure then look elsewhere. But if you want a watch that can stop you burning your dinner, settle bets on who's fastest(using the stopwatch function), keep track of the time in your home country while you're abroad (using the dual time option) and remind you what day it is and all while you're relaxing in a swimming pool then this is the watch for you! Grab it while you still can!

Philips HQ7390/17 Williams F1 Mains Rechargeable Shaver
Philips HQ7390/17 Williams F1 Mains Rechargeable Shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Smooth, but not too precise, 1 May 2011
From my first use of this shaver I was impressed with how smoothly it glided across my face. It makes for a very comfortable shave, although it wasn't quite so effective on/around my Adam's Apple.

The promotional bumf makes a big deal of its "precision cutting system", but I have to say that this is misleading. It gives an impressively close shave but, while it might shave individual hairs very precisely, it's very difficult to precisely target any areas of your face or any of the stray hairs it misses (and it misses more than it should). This is because the actual effective shaving area is very small in comparison to the size of the head, with only three narrow rings doing any shaving. So if, like me, you only shave every few days, have a pair of tweezers to hand.

Also, unlike my previous foil shaver, these narrow rings which every now and then leave some hairs untouched will mangle any long hairs with which they come into contact. When I first started using this shaver I had mutton chops because of a play I was in at the time, and when the "precision cutting system" brushed up against them they halved in length in the blink of an eye. This led to some emergency reshaping of facial fuzz that had taken months to prepare, much to my chagrin. For anyone wishing to maintain a distinct style of facial folical decoration this is not the shaver for you.

For the price it's very good, and it does provide a very comfortable shave, all-over shave. Just be aware that it isn't as precise as Philips and Nico Rosenberg want you to believe.

Portable Folding Speakers for iPods & MP3 Players - White
Portable Folding Speakers for iPods & MP3 Players - White
Offered by Brilliant Comms
Price: 3.67

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but mighty!, 27 Mar 2011
It goes without saying that if you pay more for bigger or better engineered speakers you will get a better quality of sound. But for their price, these speakers punch well above their weight. They do not want for volume, being easily capable of filling an average living room and the bass definition is impressive.

Their lightweight, foldable design makes them easily portable, if a little chunky, and the included USB power supply makes them ideal for use with netbooks. Of course, they can also be used with AAA batteries so they can even be used with mobile phones (assuming the phone has a standard 3.5mm headphone jack).

For crystal quality sound look elsewhere. For spontaneous sounds and simple situations it's ideal!