Profile for Ffion Kitchen Gadgets > Reviews

Content by Ffion Kitchen ...

Ffion Kitchen Gadgets (West Yorkshire)

BABY DUMMY SOOTHER PACIFIER FUNNY TEETH NOVELTY WITH BLUE HANDLE
BABY DUMMY SOOTHER PACIFIER FUNNY TEETH NOVELTY WITH BLUE HANDLE
Offered by FT-Deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good laugh, nice product, 15 Jan. 2013
I bought this as a gift for my nephew and it looks ace. Good laugh, but also a nice quality product. Certainly makes people do a double take! Item arrived as described and shown in picture.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts a right smile on your face, 15 Jan. 2013
I bought 2 of these as gifts and both babies looked absolutely gorgeous with their "tache's".
Needles to say both sets of parents loved them and their babies new look.

Cuisinart ICE30 ice cream maker
Cuisinart ICE30 ice cream maker

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Ice Cream, 5 Star Machine - You Won't Get Better, 12 Dec. 2012
Length:: 3:30 Mins

I have had the ICE30 since June 2011 and it makes the Best ice cream I've ever had.

In the video I show you
How to set it up
How to make a quick ice cream recipe
How Noisy the Machine is
What the Ice Cream is like
How you clean it

OK, this machine is noisy, there's no escaping that, but I've still given it 5 stars. Why? quite simply because it makes the best ice cream I've ever tasted. If you want a quiet ice cream maker, you can always buy a Andrew James Professional Fully Automatic Ice Cream Maker With Built-in Compressor + 128 Page Ice Cream Maker Cook Book. which is a good ice cream maker, but the ice cream just isn't as good as what you get from the Cuisinart. In fact I would be willing to bet that you won't get better ice cream from any other home ice cream maker, freezer bowl or fully automatic.

About the Machine
This is a freezer bowl ice cream maker which means that the bowl needs to be pre-frozen for at least 12hrs before you use it.
Your freezer must be -17oc or below for it to freeze the bowl properly.
The size of the bowl is - Width = 20cm / Height = 17cm
(It's a really good idea to check that the bowl will fit in your freezer before you buy it).
If you've got a chest freezer, or an American fridge freezer you should be OK, but you might struggle if you have draws.

Product Specs
2L Bowl makes over 1kg of Ice Cream
Bowl needs to be frozen for at least 12 hrs before use (this will depend on your freezer)
Churn Time - 25 - 40 mins (depending on Recipe)
The body of the machine is Width = 21cm / Height = 29cm

The reason that the Cuisinart ICE30 makes such good ice cream is because

1. It has a nice big bowl
2. The lid lets lots of air into the mixture
3. It's the bowl that spins round, not the churn arm.

These 3 things allow more air to get into the mixture, which gives you thicker and fluffier ice cream.
No other ice cream maker on the market works in this way, so you won't get ice cream of this quality from any other machine (not even from a fully automatic).

What I also love about this machine is it's simplicity. When you read reviews for other ice cream makers, you read about a lot of them having problems, such as the lid not going on, or the churn arm sticking.
I've had my ice cream maker since June 2011, and I've never had any problems with mine at all.

What I like about My Cuisinart ICE30

1. It's Very Easy to Use - Setting it up is a breeze, and the on / off switch is a basic dial that you just turn on and off as you need it.
2. The lid just twists on and off very easily
3. The churn arm sits inside the machine. It is not driven through the lid, which means you never have any problems getting the lid on and off.
4. The big opening in the lid makes it really easy to add your ingredients.
5. The bowl is really easy to get in and out of the machine, so there's absolutely no faffing about there either.
6. It's also really easy to clean

I always say that the easier a machine is to use, the more you'll use it. And this machine is so easy to use, you'll want to use it all the time (I use mine a couple of times a month)

The only negative about this machine is that it is noisy. I personally cannot stand to be in the same room with it while it's churning. But this is easily solved by leaving the kitchen. I used to own the quietest ice cream maker you can by, and given the choice between that one and this, I would choose the Cuisinart ICE30 everyday of the week over the other because the ice cream is just so damn good.
However, if you live open plan, this might not be the best ice cream maker for you.

Overall
I would say that if your looking to buy an ice cream maker, you won't go far wrong with the Cuisinart ICE30. It is probably the most expensive freezer bowl ice cream maker you can by, but to me I think it's worth it. It's not plasticky in the slightest, and you'll never have any problems attaching the lid or the churn arm. Plus it comes with a 5 year guarantee, whereas most come with only a 1 year guarantee.
Ice cream makers can be quite expensive, especially the fully automatics. I would say that if you have the room for a freezer bowl in your freezer, save your money and get yourself a Cuisinart ICE30. You won't regret it.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2015 9:01 PM GMT

How to use the Soup Maker
What the Soup is like
How to Clean it
How to Make a Smoothie

FYI - The Waring Soup Maker is Made by the Same Parent Company as the Cuisinart SSB1U Soup Maker. Both machines look almost identical, the recipe books are almost the same, and when I contacted Waring, I got an email back from Cuisinart Customer care.

What I like about the Waring Pro

1) It's really easy to use
2) It's changed the way I make soup because it's much cleaner, and more efficient than making it the traditional way
3) You don't need to watch a pan so you can get on with other things
4) You don't have to get our a separate blender, or transfer hot liquid into a food processor
5) It free's up the hob so it's great when entertaining
6) I still use mine 3 - 4 times a week and I've had mine for over a year
7) It saves me money, and it's helped me loose weight by having soup instead of sandwiches for lunch

What I don't like about it

1) The writing has worn off the buttons. I don't know if this is because I've used it so many times, but I wouldn't have expected it to wear off so easily. Thankfully I've used it that many times, I could probably make soup in my sleep.

2) You do need to be careful with the onions because they can burn quickly.
My tip is to coat the onions in oil, rather than pouring oil into the blender. You've also got to watch them as they brown so they don't burn. Use the stir button frequently, and if they look like they're going to burn, turn the heat down from high to simmer.

Cleaning

One of the most common complaints about these soup makers is that they are hard to clean. What I've found is, if you cook meat or fish in it, it can be hard to clean. So when I'm making soup where I need to cook meat or fish, I cook these first before adding them to the soup maker. So if I'm making chicken soup for example with chicken breast, instead of putting the chicken in the blender to brown, I just fry it off quickly in a pan. You might think this defeats the purpose of the soup maker, but personally I think in every other way it's convenient, even doing this is more efficient than the traditional way.

My Cleaning tip is to use a toothbrush to get to the bottom of the blender if any food is stuck on. And once in a while I give it a good soak with baking soda and vinegar, then I boil my concoction up and give it a scrub with the toothbrush. You've got to be careful with what you use to clean these machines. Washing up liquid is fine, but you shouldn't use anything harsh. I was thinking of using some vim to clean the bottom, but then I read that you shouldn't do this because the particles in the cleaner can stick to the surface of the blender jug and could end up going in your soup.

The Soup maker CAN go in a dishwasher, it just needs to be left for 16hrs to dry. Some reviewers have mentioned about taking the collar off the bottom of the jug. I contacted the manufacturer and they said you should NOT do this, and if you do the warranty is void. You don't need to do this anyway as the whole jug with the collar can go in the dishwasher, or in a sink with hot soapy water. It just needs the drying time.

Overall

Despite the negatives, I still love this machine, and wouldn't be without it now. It's so easy to use that I no longer buy any soup. Plus I throw less food away because any thing left over gets turned into soup.

I would say it's a great kitchen gadget for a busy couple because you can have a hot meal in under 30 mins.

When I used to make soup in the past, that used to be a task in itself. But with this soup maker, I just peel some extra veg when I'm making the dinner, and then add it to machine with a stock cube and hot water, and that's it.

If I ever have anyone round for dinner, chances are I'll make soup for a starter because the soup maker frees me up to look after my guests, and the soup stays warm in the jug until we're ready to eat. People think I'm a domestic goddess whipping up a 3 course meal midweek, but I'm not, I've just got good gadgets that help me to cheat.

Given it's size, it might be a bit on the small size for a family, but great for a single person or couple. It makes 1.4L of soup, which is enough for 6 starter bowls, or 3 man sized bowls.

You can also use it for making smoothies, the blades are really powerful so they're great for crushing ice. I read a review on another website where a chef had commented that the blender was the best he had seen outside of a commercial kitchen. And I would agree that it is pretty powerful. The max amount of cold liquid you can add is 1.75L

If you need a blender, I would say get a soup maker, then you'll have something that blends and cooks as well.

I highly recommend this machine.

If you've got any questions at all, please ask, I'm happy to help.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2013 12:10 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Despite a Few Negatives, I'd Still Buy Again - See it For Yourself in My Video, 8 Dec. 2012
Length:: 9:38 Mins

1) It's really easy to use
3) You don't need to watch a pan so you can get on with other things
5) It free's up the hob so it's great when entertaining
6) I use mine 3 - 4 times a week and I've had it for just over a year
7) It saves me money, and it's helped me loose weight by having soup instead of sandwiches for dinner
8)The jug is made from thick glass and feels like good quality

What I don't like about it

2) You do need to be careful with the onions because they can burn quickly

3) If you cook meat or fish in it, it can be hard to clean. My advice is to cook these separately, then add them to the soup maker. So fif your making chicken soup for example with chicken breast, instead of putting the chicken in the blender to brown, just fry it off quickly in a pan. You might think this defeats the purpose of the soup maker, but personally I think in every other way it's convenient, even doing this is more efficient than the traditional way.

Overall

Despite the negatives, I still love this machine, and wouldn't be without it now. It's so easy to use that I no longer buy any soup. Plus I throw less food away because any left overs get turned into soup.

I would say it's a great kitchen gadget for a busy couple because you can have a hot meal in under 30 mins (just add lots of crusty bread).

When I used to make soup in the past, that used to be a task in itself. But with this soup maker, I just peel some extra veg when I'm making the dinner, and throw it in the machine with a stock cube and hot water, and that's pretty much it.

It makes 1.4L of Soup which gives you either 3 man sized bowls, or 6 starter portions.

Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2014 11:13 PM BST

Winning the Story Wars: Why Those Who Tell and Live the Best Stories Will Rule the Future
by Jonah Sachs

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on Marketing I've Ever Read - Because it Shows that Marketers can be Honest and Truthful, 6 Nov. 2012
I bought Story Wars because sometimes I find it frustrating trying to craft a story, its like I know what I want to say but I just can't get it out of me.

When the book arrived first of all I felt a bit disappointed because it wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it would be set out into the different 'how to' sections.

I thought "here we go again, another book which tells you what you need to be doing, without actually telling you how to do it".

How wrong I was. After reading it from cover to cover in 2 days (I only stopped reading to sleep and eat) I believe that its the best book on marketing that I've ever read.

The reason I say this is because:-

1) It explains the theory
2) It gives you real life examples
3) Then it gives you exercises to do - Real life exercises that you can use to craft any kind of story or message. And real life exercises that I actually did, and enjoyed doing.

That's not all though, I bought this book to help me craft my stories, but it's done so much more than that. It's shown me that we can be honest and truthful and transparent, and still get ahead in life. It's given me faith in human nature, and in our ability to change things for the better.

This book for me is Winner because it connects with my core values (and I thought I was just buying a book on story writing)! It connects with the beliefs that I already hold, and it's helped me to shape my ideas, and to have more courage in my convictions.

If your interested in being one of the good guys, but always believed that nice guys finish last, then this book is for you.

This really is a fantastic book, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Chef'n Garlic Zoom Garlic Chopper XL Extra Large
Chef'n Garlic Zoom Garlic Chopper XL Extra Large
Offered by Cooking Marvellous

1.0 out of 5 stars Save your money and buy something that works, 1 Dec. 2011
I bought this as the reviews were quite mixed so I thought I'd give it a go. Now I really wanted to like this little kitchen gadget, but unfortuantely I don't and the reason for this is because:-

You can only really do one clove of garlic at a time
If you've got a really big clove you have to cut it down otherwise it jams it up
It's difficult to get all the bits of garlic out of the chamber
And after all that carry on, it's a nightmare to clean.

If your thinking of buying one, let me know and Ill send you mine, at least it might get some use then!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2011 7:10 PM GMT

Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, 6 Cup
Bialetti Moka Express Espresso Maker, 6 Cup
Offered by Moema Espresso

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Coffee Pot, 1 Dec. 2011
I've had my 6 cup stovetop espresso maker for coming up to 2 years this Christmas and what a fantastic little coffee pot it is.

I must admit that at first I couldn't get my coffee how I like it, but after doing some research online I now make a decent cup of coffee with this pot. Other Amazon reviewers recommended the Illy espresso, however I found this too strong for my taste. My preferred coffee is the Lavazza Qualita Oro which has a nice full bodied flavour without any bitterness. I've given this product 5 stars because I think it's a cool little pot that looks good in your kitchen and for the price you get a really nice, full bodied cup of Joe.

However if your expecting a real cup of espresso complete with crème that you get with a fancy machine, you may be disappointed. Yes the coffee is hot and strong, but it's not real espresso (there's not enough pressure for starters). Come on, it's a pot you put on the stove to make coffee, it isn't a fancy machine with all the pressure and stuff.

If your in 2 minds whether to get one of these or a French press or something similar, for taste this would be my choice all day long. I've never had any problems what-so-ever with my pot, no leaking, no handle breaking, nothing. But then I do look after it, I always dry it properly after use and I don't use the handle to leverage it open and shut.

The Wiseguy Cookbook: My Favorite Recipes from My Life as a Goodfella to Cooking on the Run
by Henry Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars "Being Able to Cook Means you Can Take Care of Yourself", 3 Oct. 2011
If you love Goodfellas, then you'll love this book. And even if you don't love Goodfellas, you'll probably still love this book.

I admit that I haven't made any of the recipes yet, but I am too busy at the moment enjoying the story of Henry's love of food, right from how he used to help his mother in the kitchen, to slicing garlic with a razor blade in prison (the way his mother used to do it), to cooking on the run.

Henry Hill's passion for food just oozes off the page and it's great to have a recipe book that combines a good culinary story with some really great sounding recipes.

I was going to knock off a star for not having pictures, but now Im not going to because it is a really great book.

Overall a really good Authentic Italian American cookbook.

Think I'll make myself some Sunday Gravy and put on the film.

The Inbetweeners: Channel 4 Complete Series 1, 2 & 3 + DVD Exclusive Extras And Deleted Scenes (3 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Blake Harrison
Offered by Atronica

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out Loud Comedy, 3 Oct. 2011
Love it! Suprisingly clever for a comedy centred on teenage boys. Didnt watch it on the tv as I didn't think it looked that good. Then I watched the top 10 bits and I was hooked. Bought myself the box set for my birthday and didn't regret it. Nothing better than watching an episode when you get in from work. I've nearly worked my way through the box set now but thankfully there seems to be some decent extras like Behind the scenes, video diaries, deleted scenes etc - I'll update on their quality once I've viewed. For now I'm giving it 2 thumbs up.