Profile for SouthernSkylark > Reviews

SouthernSkylark

Buffalo Soldier
Buffalo Soldier
Price: 4.12

5.0 out of 5 stars If you read just one book this year, make it this one, 12 Jun 2014
This review is from: Buffalo Soldier (Kindle Edition)
Don't be fooled by this book's young adult genre - I defy any 'adult' not to be swept away by this breathtaking book. This is no sugar coated piece of work. Its depth,honesty and brutality frequently left me in tears, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Charley O'Hara, a recently 'emancipated' African American slave girl, finds that despite freedom, life has changed little. With no other option she joins the newly formed United States Army disguised as a boy...... This book is frequently challenging, but will leave you a changed person.

Afterlife (Afterlife Saga Book 1)
Afterlife (Afterlife Saga Book 1)
Price: 2.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Just wow..., 20 July 2013
Dominic Draven.... This name and character will forever be in your mind when you've read the first Afterlife! Demons,Angels, heaven,hell.....

Sing You Home
Sing You Home
by Jodi Picoult
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Jodi Picoult's best book yet...., 21 Feb 2012
This review is from: Sing You Home (Paperback)
I have ready nearly all of Jodi Picoult's books, and many have moved me to tears, but I never thought there would be a book to trump My Sister's Keeper. Sing you Home grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go... As with all her books it is utterly evocative AND provocative, but somehow this book feels like it is written from her soul and is so real...... Breathtaking in it's emotional depth... Loved it!

The Little Country
The Little Country
by Charles de Lint
Price: 11.46

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure magick, 2 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Little Country (Paperback)
I was introduced to Charles de Lint with Widdershins - Little Country easily matches this with it's wholly believable, magickal storylines - I can't praise him highly enough. If you want to lose yourself in a fantasy/urban fantasy world that MUST exist - read it!

Dark Prince: Number 1 in series ('Dark' Carpathian)
Dark Prince: Number 1 in series ('Dark' Carpathian)
by Christine Feehan

1.0 out of 5 stars UGH - utter rubbish, 2 Sep 2011
I didn't even want to give this book 1 star.... I am 200 pages in and there is no way I going to finish it. Utterly without depth,tension or well rounded characters - Raven and Mikhail are probably the worst fate matched lovers ever.....

I have read many vampire/ supernatural stories, and purchased this on a recommendation - save your money and buy J R Ward, Laurell K Hamilton or P C & Kristin Cast (House of Night)<<< (these House of Night stories are aimed at older teens and easily surpasses Feehan)

The Birthday Party
The Birthday Party
by Veronica Henry
Price: 5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great escapism, 30 July 2011
This review is from: The Birthday Party (Paperback)
I've read all of Veronica Henry's books, and eagerly anticipated The Birthday Party, and it doesn't disappoint. I empathised and connected with the characters.I finished the book in two sittings, even getting up at 6am before work to read the last few chapters! My only gripe is it wasn't long enough! Raunchier than her previous title (the beach hut)it has none of the cringworthy sex scenes of many books written for women.
Looking forward to the next one.