Profile for RayvenUK > Reviews

Content by RayvenUK

RayvenUK

Page: 1 | 2
Anker® Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port Express Card, with 5V 4 Pin Male Power Connector and 1 USB 3.0 20-pin Connector ( expand another two USB 3.0 ports )
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 12 Aug 2014
I recently bought a new PC case which had 2 USB3 ports on it, but my motherboard didn't have any, so this card was ideal. Plugged it in, connected the power and the header block, installed the driver and it just .. worked!

TechEssentialsTM Pack for HTC One M8 (2014)
TechEssentialsTM Pack for HTC One M8 (2014)
Offered by TecWins

4.0 out of 5 stars Bracket barely big enough., 12 Aug 2014
Bought for the HTC One m8, but the window bracket just about holds the phone, and even then it is at an angle and easily comed free. The extrac silicon cases, stylus and charger were v ery useful and made the pack worth while however.

Sweetzone cherry lips (600 pieces)
Sweetzone cherry lips (600 pieces)
Offered by Emaan Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Rip off price, 12 Aug 2014
Hang on a minute. 600 pieces at 1p per piece, that is 600p or £6. So at nearly £900 for the box that's the profits gone!

SUPCASE All New HTC One M8 Case - Unicorn Beetle PRO Full-body Hybrid Protective Case with Built-in Screen Protector - Dual Layer Design + Impact Resistant Bumper 2014 (Black/Black)
Offered by I-Blason EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Best case I have ever bought for any phone., 23 Jun 2014
The m8 is a big phone to start with, and without the silicon case that comes with it, it as slippery as soap - if not more so. Unlike any phone I have had in the past I was very conscious that this one might get dropped and damaged, so after checking out several different types of cases I went for this one. On the surface it appeared robust, well made, a classy design and functional. When I noticed that it had a built-in screen protector i was wary. I am useless at sticking films to my phones and tablets and they usually end up looking like bubble wrap when I've finished, so I was worried that this might not be as conductive as the screen. (As an aside, my screen is that conductive that just putting my figer near the screen and not touching it is enough to trigger it.)

It was also the cheapest of the cases I was looking at so took the chance and ordered it.

When it arrived I noticed that there was a sticker on the box advising you to enter a URL in your browser and watch the video to install it. As it came with no installation instructions I duly did this for fear of breaking it. However this kept coming up with video not found, so a quick search gave this URL - which is the video it was trying to get to -[...]
Regardless of what people say, it is quite straightforward to fit and fairly intuitive. The phone fits perfectly and the case snaps shut tightly. It has it's own extension button for getting at the power so it isn't recessed, and comes with two spares as well. There are good sturdy covers for the USB and headphones port that close tightly and open easily enough for access (unlike the silicon case where I eventually had to cut them off as they refused to close properly after about a week).

As for the built-in screen protector - this is a good solid piece of plastic, not like the thin films that you buy. My concerns about it were blown away when I tried it - it responded with no problems at all - in fact the phone was a bit more responsive and seemed to calm it down a bit.

In summary, I couldn't recommend this case highly enough. This phone was an expensive investment and the first phone I had ever bought new. The case is thick and solid, easy to grip and use, and would definitely protect the phone case and screen if you did drop it by accident.

Definitely a five star product.

Seagate STCG4000200 4TB Central Wireless Hard Drive
Seagate STCG4000200 4TB Central Wireless Hard Drive

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as a basic NAS or Cloud drive - but has a serious limitation, 22 Jun 2014
I didn't buy this from Amazon but a local retailer as i needed one in a rush.

The drive itself is very sturdy and well built, configuration and set up is very easy and the drive was on the network, up and running and being seen by the PCs and DNLA devices with no problems at all.

Users are easily created and each user gets their own private, password protected folder. However it was here that I discovered a serious limitation which may affect some people's purchases. Because of this I returned the drive and the shop was good enough to swap it for a slightly more expensive WD MyCloud system.

The limitation is that users cannot see inside the folder of any other user. When Windows first tries to access the folder it asks for a username and password. Once this has been entered, even if you tell it not to save the credentials, it will not let you access any other folder on the drive. If you do tell it to save the credentials you end up having to dig into the control panel to get them removed.

You also cannot create your own folders or assign users to different folders.

For me this is a huge issue. If you are a family and want to keep an eye on what your kids are storing in their space - simply - you can't. Even the drive administrator cannot see into any other folders than the one it created for the administrator.

The inability to create folders and manage them was also an issue when it came to the media streaming as you can only place the music and video in the public folder. This meant that it was getting mixed with other public files.

Pro: Easy set up, configuration is a doddle, speed is incredible over a gigabit wired and wireless network.
Con: No sharing of user folders, creating custom folders or controlling access.

The Complete Herbal Tutor: The Definitive Guide to the Principles and Practices of Herbal Medicine
by Anne McIntyre

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book for beginners and advanced, 10 May 2014
This is a superbly laid out book, very clear and concise, covering all aspects of herbalism from growing, preparation. There is a good visual guide to the herbs covered, a great breakdown of how to prepare them, what they are used for, dosages and how to administer the result, how well researched the effects are etc. A great section on ailments, breaking them down into categories such as male problems, digestion, and then listing the symptoms and what herbs to use.

I am currently studying to become a medical herbalist, and this book was a wonderful find.

i couldn't recommend this book enough to anyone studying, practicing or just curious.

Rock Heroes
Rock Heroes
Offered by b68solutions

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories, 10 May 2014
This review is from: Rock Heroes (Audio CD)
Love this collection, not just heavy metal but Rock from back when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, great for singing my head off down the motorway with the windows open :)

TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter
TP-Link TL-WN722N 150Mbps High Gain Wireless USB Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent connection strength, 27 April 2013
Bought three of these after years of struggling with wireless connections. Signal strength was often poop and would drop no matter what adapters I bought. I even tried two brands of powerline network adapters and that helped for a while, although the power here is noisy and caused interference.

But after getting one of these in desperation, just because it had an antenna if I have to be honest, I was astounded at the signal strength, asll the way yp instead of the 2 bars I've been used to; no drop outs, no varying connection speeds, just full steam ahead. I was wary of buying two more in case it was a fluke, but now my laptop and second desktop have them and they have the same superb performance now.

I would highly recommend anyone with weak wireless connections to at least give one a try. I wish I'd found these earlier.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2013 1:27 PM BST

Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus
Steampunk Holmes: Legacy of the Nautilus
by P. C. Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb story capturing the essence of steampunk and holmes, 11 Jun 2012
I had been following this on kickstarter for some time and was hoping it would see fruition. Having now got the book I have found it quite impossible to put down. The author has captured the essence of Holmes and Watson and blended in the twist of Steampunk before you even notice what is going on; with Watson's clockwork arm and Holmes mechanical Windowmak'r motorcycle. The revisualisation of Mycroft Holmes as Holme's sister I approached with trepidation, but it really does work.

If you like Steampunk and love Sherlock Holmes then I couldn't recommend this book enough. Don't be put off by the fact that it is quite a slim volume, with some of the pulp I have read recently and authors who seem to think that if a plotline sells, then they should repeat it in every other book they write, this is a breath of fresh air. It is a rivetting read, and I am hoping that there is going to be at least one sequel.

Devolo dLAN Highspeed II (HomePlug) Network Kit - (3x plugs) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Solved so many problems, 2 April 2012
Bought this product after we had so many problems with Wireless. Because of where the router and the computers are it made the signal weak and frequently we'd get disconnections. With this all we had to do was just plug them in - that was it! Never needed the CD or installation instructions at all. All the cables are supplied so once the box was opened everything was done within 5 minutes. The speed was registering a steady 5Mb/s which is fast enough for us to play World of Warcraft with no lag or dropouts. The speed did drop if we plugged them into an extension with a surge protector, but as soon as we plugged it into a regular extension or the wall directly it was perfect. I'd recommend this to anyone who is having problems with Wireless.

Page: 1 | 2