Profile for Mr. Gavin P. Brooks > Reviews

Content by Mr. Gavin P. B...

Mr. Gavin P. Brooks "gavbro"

Page: 1 | 2
Screaming Bloody Murder
Screaming Bloody Murder
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 7.36

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Screaming Bloody Murder (Audio CD)
I bought this as something of a punt, but was blown away by the quality of this album.

It has touches of MCR and the renewed Green Day style 'rock opera' albums, but is by no means a plastic homage in an atempt to cash in. If you liked 'Black Parade', 'American Idiot' and '21st Century Breakdown', you WILL like this!

It is a true album, in that it is best listened to as a whole rather than in parts, but then it is an album, so those of an MP3/Ipod disposition may not have the patience, but you know what, that's their/(your?) problem!

I loved these guys when I was growing up, but worried this would just be an old hands playing it safe kind of affair, but they firmly put me in my place!

Not as 'punky' as their old stuff, but more grown up. No refunds if you disagree with me, but I bet you won't!

Prokofiev: On the Dniper; Songs of Our Days
Prokofiev: On the Dniper; Songs of Our Days
Price: 15.40

4.0 out of 5 stars a rare gem, with floors, 21 Jun 2008
I bought this based on chance, but have always loved Prokofiev's work.

I have to say this was a real bargain. I was not sure what to expect, and was happy with what `On the Dneiper' offered, but my real joy was in what I found in `Songs of our days'.

Anyone who likes Russian choral music/red army choir would love this. There is a variance in the quality of the different songs, but the highs far outweigh the lows. The recording quality is fantastic throughout.

There is an emotional quality in places that simply swallows you whole, and they more than makes up for the simply average parts.

It is probably one that would suit those who enjoy the raw Russian feel Prokofiev's works can offer, rather than any of the more subtle elements of his ballet works, but there are elements of both.

A curates egg, but well worth cracking the shell of.

Prokofiev: The Fiery Angel
Prokofiev: The Fiery Angel
Offered by MUSIC DIRECT
Price: 35.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my thing, but has merits., 21 Jun 2008
I must say firstly opera is not my thing, but I do enjoy Prokofiev

I have heard better in terms of recording quality, and the levels seemed a little unbalanced. That said, the emotion comes through, and the performances are all of a good quality.

I bought this on the back of having enjoyed a large bulk of his works, and the choral pieces in other works in particular. The work did not match my hopes, but did perhaps show me another element of Prokofiev that I had not seen.

Opera buffs may well enjoy this, but anyone looking on the back of his other works may want to give a miss if they have not experienced other opera's previously.

Prokofiev: Ivan the Terrible/Alexander Nevsky/Rachmaninov: The Bells
Prokofiev: Ivan the Terrible/Alexander Nevsky/Rachmaninov: The Bells
Price: 24.57

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, 29 Mar 2006
This CD is great value, that is to say I bought it from this site at just under six pounds.
By far and away the best on offer here is the recording of Alexander Nevsky. Fantastic choral pieces, and the recording is clear throughout.
Ivan the Terrible is also very well done, thought one has to be in the mood, as the rather theatrical narritives can be a little off putting at times.
I am not a big fan of Rachmaninov, and so I hesitate to comment of the interpretation of his work on this CD, suffice to say I do not turn it off the moment it starts.
I would not encourgae you to pay too much, as there are many recordings of these works available at good prices. However, if you are looking at this and the item will cost you less than ten pounds, I would say it is well worth the money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2009 6:10 PM BST

Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet
Prokofiev: Romeo & Juliet
Price: 7.25

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have., 29 Mar 2006
You will not find a better recording of this work, whatever your budget. This is simply the best album I own.
The recording is clear and the levels perfectly balanced. Do not look any further, you have found what you are looking for.

The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms [DVD] [1953]
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms [DVD] [1953]
Dvd ~ Paul Hubschmid
Offered by babsbargains *** WORLDWIDE SHIPPING ***
Price: 19.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic family fun, 29 Jan 2006
An absolute Harryhausen classic.
When you consider the age of this film, the special effects are still great, and a testament to Harryhausens work.
The film is far better than similar films of today, mainly because it does not rely on using actors for their ability to look good rather than act, some bint with more mamory glands than talent, or C-G-bloody-I!
The whole family can watch this and enjoy it, and the extras are a must for any Harryhausen fan, though if you already own a Harryhausen DVD the chances are you already own the extras as they all seem to have them.
The

Halloween III: Season of the Witch [DVD]
Halloween III: Season of the Witch [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Atkins
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Mental rather than visual horror, 29 Jan 2006
OK, this is not like all the other Halloween films, ie no Mike Myers.
There is very little in the way of visual horror, ie slashing, stabbing and screaming. Instead it is the actual premise of the film that is scary, and in my opinion, it is rather clever.
I have always taken the underlying subtext of this film to be along the same lines of Dawn of the Dead, capitalism and television being the real deamons.
It is not the greatest film ever by any stretch, but it is certainly not the worst in this genre either. It is one of those films that you will probably either love or hate, and the only way you will ever find which is by watching it!

Earth vs. the Flying Saucers [DVD] [1956]
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers [DVD] [1956]
Dvd ~ Hugh Marlowe
Price: 4.95

4.0 out of 5 stars They don't make them like this any more!, 29 Jan 2006
Fans of Ray Harryhausen may want to know that there are none of the monsters that make his work so well loved in this film. His work in this film is on the flying saucers, and the various scenes of them crashing.
The story line is entertaining, and the acting is not bad. The aliens are pretty low budget, which to new viewers will be funny, though obviously this was not the intention at the time.
There are none of the stupid gung-ho type charecters we get in such films now (Will Smith, I'm looking at you!), and there is a little more depth in terms of exploring the reaction to finding the existance of aliens.
Good family fun.

House II [DVD]
House II [DVD]
Dvd ~ Arye Gross

3.0 out of 5 stars Sit down with some beers and idle a couple of hours, 26 Jan 2006
This review is from: House II [DVD] (DVD)
The story line is even more weird than the first film, and more disjointed, yet somehow has a strange attraction about it.
The comic relief is provided in the main by the charecter if the electrician. His line on discovering an alternate reality is the funniest moment.
As with the first film, the idea of it being a horror film is probably a little optimistic, but it is hard to think where else you would put it, other than comedy.
Not a film to regret missing on your death bed, but worth a slobbed out evening in front of the box with a mate and a crate.

House [Special Edition] [DVD]
House [Special Edition] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alan Autry

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny, not frightening, 26 Jan 2006
This film may fall into the horror category, but it is far from scary. The special effects are not very special, and the set is not big budget, indeed the flashbacks to 'Nam may well have been filmed in my garden!
However, this is still an OK film!
The film is funny, especially the neighbour, played by George Wendt. There are some classic lines, and the less than special effects are also good for a laugh.
Worth a fiver and a couple of hours I'd say.

Page: 1 | 2