Profile for red > Reviews

BRIGHT KNIFE BLOCK, 6 PCE
BRIGHT KNIFE BLOCK, 6 PCE
Offered by ViaGenius

4.0 out of 5 stars Add a bit of colour to your kitchen!, 30 Dec. 2012
Having originally purchased a 3 piece TEW set (2 knives & veg peeler) I recently also replaced my ageing knife block set - not only because these brighten up my kitchen but also becaus of the quality of the knives. The revolving knife block takes up less space and also contains an extra knife - a small slightly serated knife. The blades are just as good as my first set of TEW, the handles however are much lighter and have a cheaper feel to them. My first set are coloured blades with a matching coloured / grey handle. They do not seem to do a full set in this design. What cannot be argued however is that this set of 6 is a brilliant price - the knife block alone retails for the same value. Therefore while I tend to use my first set of knives most - these certainly do not spend all their time sat gathering dust.

Taylor's Eye Witness 3 Piece Kitchen Set
Taylor's Eye Witness 3 Piece Kitchen Set
Offered by Sands Gifts

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous knives, 30 Dec. 2012
These knives are superb ... To the extent that my other more expensive knives languish in the drawer. They are weighted nicely, and cut beautifully as well as being great colours, brightening up my kitchen. They also sharpen well. I have since gone on to buying a full set of TEW knives and do not regret my purchases. The vegetable peeler however is a completely different matter ... Absolutely useless! Buy this set for the knives rather than the peeler.

Bill Granger Easy
Bill Granger Easy
by Bill Granger

2.0 out of 5 stars Too easy, too simple, 9 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Bill Granger Easy (Hardcover)
Let me first say that I am a huge Bill Granger fan. I have 5 other books of his and they provide the basis of nearly of all of our evening meals. Maybe the title 'Easy' should have given me the heads up, but I bought it anyway, keen to expand my Granger repertoire, eager to start cooking from it straight away. Alas it is not to be. I may even give it away. Nothing really jumps out at me. It is a very 'pretty book', with copious photographs, not a bad thing, although they have managed to stretch 100 recipes (none of which take up more than one page) to cover 256 pages. Thankfully the majority of the photos are of the food themselves this time, rather than Bill, although there are still a substantial amount that are just for decoration rather than of the food.

The premise of the book is 'cook something delicious but easy' and is split Into the following chapters, each of which contains only six or 7 recipes

Piece of chicken
Caron of eggs
Apples and pears
Punned of berries
Block of chocolate

Examples of the recipes are roast chicken salad with chive mayonnaise. Something called chilli chicken with skordalia, which we are then told 'ok, you've spotted it, this is really chicken and mash', later on we are given a recipe for a jacket potato - the slant being that rather than serving it with normal coleslaw, it has kohlrabi 'slaw instead, and on we go to salmon with potato salad, then a dish he says is nothing more than macaroni cheese but is called 'taleggio and pancetta baked pasta', and a lasagne that is just lasagne sheets layered with ricotta cheese.

Maybe this book is aimed at getting people into the kitchen rather than grabbing a takeaway or a ready meal. It certainly isn't exciting or representative of his previous books that I have. What I have always liked about his recipes is that they gave maximum flavour, without taking hours to cook, do even after a long day at work I could cook a good healthy meal in a reasonable amount of time - always less than an hour from prep to serving. This seems to have stripped things back too far, which is a real shame.

Next time Bill releases a book I will make sure I check it out 'in the flesh' rather than pre-order it.

Cabaret
Cabaret

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound quality, 5 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Cabaret (Audio CD)
While the CD has all the tracks on it that I know and love, I was incredibly disappointed with the sound quality. I have actually returned it to Amazon for a refund. Hopefully with a new stage production coming out, and today's technology, an 'improved' version of this will be released and do Liza et al's voices true justice

Love Unlisted: A Novel
Love Unlisted: A Novel

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read let down by typos, 29 July 2012
Very much in the chick-lit genre, ideal for a summer holiday read. Some of the characters could possibly have been developed a bit more, and it felt like the ending was possibly wrapped up a bit too quickly, but I obviously enjoyed it as I couldn't put it down! Every so often I read something like this to lighten things up between the other books I read, and have to say this is probably one of the better ones. It is a quick read at only 219 pages. It is badly let down by poor editing; missing words, letters missed out and entire blank pages (no missing text though). These seemed to increase towards the end of the book. I am finding this sort of thing on quite a few of the Kindle books - possibly self published ones? - and it is one of my pet peeves.

Dead Like You
Dead Like You
by Peter James

2.0 out of 5 stars Is it time to retire Roy Grace?, 5 July 2012
This review is from: Dead Like You (Paperback)
Sometimes I think an author can get lazy having had success with previous novels and I believe this is what has happened here. When Roy Grace first stepped into the big literary world I couldn't put the books down. I couldn't wait for the annual release of the next instalment. Then book 5 in the series came along and it was good, but not as good as the first four. I hoped it was just a bit of a glitch. Finally book 6 in the series was released and I grabbed a copy as soon as it was released ... only to find I was bored! This is the first Roy Grace novel that I simply could not be bothered to finish which is saying something as I really cannot remember the last time I didn't finish a book. In fact I think it has only happened twice in a long and eclectic reading life, stretching back to my childhood. After much picking up and putting down of this book, and getting two thirds of the way through, I did something I have never done before, and that was to skip to the very last chapter just to see 'whodunit'. I shall try his next Roy Grace novel when it is released but if it fails to engage me like this one then that will be the end of my relationship with Roy Grace. On a final note, when you do read these books back to back you start to notice that a lot of the descriptions of the police station, the local area and his colleagues seem to have been 'copied and pasted' from previous novels, which again suggests a lazy style of writing. All in all, very disappointing

Ladyboys
Ladyboys

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Ladyboys (Kindle Edition)
A fascinating read and insight into the lives and emotions of the ladyboys of Thailand, covering a whole plethora of backgrounds; from the poverty stricken elderly dancer to the successful entrepreneur and the famous Muay Thai boxer. The only criticism I have is that the narrative is very similar in each story due to the translation, and I would have preferred to 'hear' the individual voice of each of the participants.

Morphy Richards Intellisteam 48780 Food Steamer
Morphy Richards Intellisteam 48780 Food Steamer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good steamer, quality not so hot, 20 April 2010
I have used electric steamers for some 10 years and when it was time to replace my last one decided to but something a bit more sophisticated and with baskets that could go through the dishwasher (yes I am that lazy!). I held off buying this for many months due to its price, but eventually Amazon were selling it for just over half price and I splashed out. As a steamer it is great; it steams food well and evenly. I have used it for chicken, fish, potatoes, vegetables, even my mini christmas puddings that I made this year. I already knew it was large as I had checked it out in a store before buying it online, so the size of it didn't phase me. However it takes up a huge amount of space in the dishwasher, especially the tray that collects the juices. That now gets washed by hand (although it also is too large for my kitchen sink!) It is also quite unwieldy when you want to use the hot collected steamed juice / water from this tray in your gravy, and the only way to do it is to ladle the liquid out rather than tip it out as I used to with previous steamers. My biggest gripe however is the quality of the plastic. I have only owned this steamer since mid-August and it only gets used during the colder months - so not a huge amount of use so far. In early December I had to contact them regarding the water that had collected in the lids and which could not be removed (2 of which appear to be slightly warped anyway). They wanted a copy of my receipt which unfortunately I cannot find (typical - the only one I can't), and will not accept the serial number as sufficient proof of the steamer's age. I have tried asking Amazon for a copy of my receipt, without success. This weekend I found that one of the baskets now has a crack in the base. I have only ever washed the baskets on the top rack of my dishwasher (as per the instructions) and it has never been dropped etc so there is no reason for the plastic to have failed so early in its use. I have now contacted Morphy Richards again to see if we can make progress. Great steamer? Definitely. Good quality? Debatable
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2012 9:57 PM BST

Slimming World: World of Flavours
Slimming World: World of Flavours
by Christine Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars Around the world in 120 dishes, 23 Jan. 2010
I had this book on pre-order and have not been disappointed. I own a number of Slimming World books but have to say that this is instantly my favourite. It provides so much inspiration and includes many recipes that you may previously have fancied from the local take-away or restaurant but decided against it because you are 'trying to be good'. The recipes really work and for the first time they include the number of syns for green, red and extra easy days. The chapters are split into recipes from France, Spain, Italy, Greece, Morocco, India, China, Thailand and North America. I have always been a keen cook, and love food from different parts of the world. This book enables me to still enjoy creating a nice meal without feeling like I am on a diet. Even my husband has enjoyed the recipes and hasn't realised they are from a so called 'diet'. It is a book I could get inspiration from even if it wasn't a SW book. It even includes recipes for dessert!

Examples of the recipes are:

Paella
Special Fried Rice
Sweet & Sour Prawns
Szechuan beef
Chicken Chow Mein
Pork in black bean sauce
Thai Vegetable Curry & also Thai Chicken Curry
Real McCoy 1/4 pounders
Spicy buffalo wings
Key lime pie

and many more

The Curry Feast recipe book is also excellent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2012 3:29 PM BST

Washable Absorbent Bed Pad 75 x 90cms
Washable Absorbent Bed Pad 75 x 90cms
Offered by Coastal Linen Supplies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 23 Jan. 2010
I am another of those strange people who are using these in their guinea pig cages. They are superb - lightweight, not bulky, but soft enough to be comfortable under little feet. I have 4 guinea pigs in the one cage and at the end of the week they are still bone dry and pong free. Easy to wash and suitable for tumble-drying (until the weather improves!). I like the fact that they can be washed at 90 degrees if required. They are good quality with no loose stitching that little teeth may want to nibble, although I do have a fleece over the top. The pigs are happy and healthy on them, it makes it quick to clean them out and I am certain it is the most hygienic way to look after them. The seller offers first rate customer service, replying to any queries promptly and courteously. They are priced very reasonably compared to others and the postage cost was very fair - especially as I bought 8! I have no doubt that they would also be very good for use with people but cannot comment on that one!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2012 3:37 PM GMT