Profile for J.Flood > Reviews

Couples Retreat [DVD]
Dvd ~ Vince Vaughn
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars A fairly enjoyable comedy., 16 Feb 2010
This review is from: Couples Retreat [DVD] (DVD)
Vince Vaughn stars in this comedy about four couples that go on a marriage retreat to an island paradise. I felt, it took a bit of time for the humour to get going in this film. The fun only really started when the couples actually arrive on the island, and have to take part in various courses and tasks, designed to strengthen their marriages. It is not as funny as other Vince Vaughn films, such as The Wedding Crashers, but I thought it was quite good overall.

Assegai
Assegai
by Wilbur Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Hit and Miss., 4 Feb 2010
This review is from: Assegai (Paperback)
Assegai is set in British East Africa, during the early years of the 20th century. The story centres around former soldier turned game hunter, Leon Courtney, who runs safari hunts for rich clients. In a lot of ways the story is fairly standard Wilbur Smith fare with vivid, colourful descriptions of Africa, its wildlife and its people, which I enjoy.

However, I did not think it was one of his better novels. Some parts of the story had me transfixed, while other parts had me skimming over the pages. This was probably because I did not think the characters were quite up to his usual standard, and therefore I could not empathise with them as much as I would have liked.

I also felt I had to suspend my disbelief, in some of the scenes involving Von Meerbach's aircraft, which were about five years and a World War ahead of their time!

Abandoned
Abandoned
by Cody Mcfadyen

3.0 out of 5 stars A Dark Thriller., 29 Jan 2010
This review is from: Abandoned (Paperback)
A severely traumitised woman is thrown from a car in front of a beachside wedding. It transpires that the woman has been held captive, in the dark for many years. Agent Smoky Barrett and her FBI team are sent to investigate the woman's background, and her kidnapping.

I found this book a tough enough read, as the author certainly piles on the misery. He has created an evil, sadistic killer, who just sees killing as a business, with no human emotion whatsoever, and there are some scenes in the story that made unnerved me, to say the least. Worth reading if you like your thrillers served gruesome.

Dawn of Empire
Dawn of Empire
by Sam Barone

3.0 out of 5 stars Barbarians at the gate!, 22 Jan 2010
This review is from: Dawn of Empire (Paperback)
Dawn of Empire is set in the ancient time of 3000 BC. It is an era when the first towns are being built, but they are being destroyed by hordes of nomadic barbarians. In the city of Orak, the inhabitants, led by former barbarian, Eskkar, and his charasmatic, young wife, and former slave, Trella, decide to make a stand.

I thought this was a fairly entertaining story, overall. There is certainly slow moving parts, as the people in the village prepare and build their defences against the oncoming attack, and Eskkar has to deal with the powerful families of the village. As I got further and further into the book, I was wondering what was taking the barbarians so long! However, it did keep my interest, and the action scenes towards the end of the story are very good.

A slight niggle I had with the book, though, was that I felt the society in the village seemed a bit technologically advanced for the era. Still, as I mentioned earlier, an fairly entertaining read, particularly, if you like historical novels.

The Neighbour
The Neighbour
by Lisa Gardner

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonably good thriller, 13 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Neighbour (Hardcover)
A young mother, Sandra Jones, goes missing from her South Boston home, leaving behind her four year old daughter. The police immediately start to suspect her secretive husband, Jason, who was at work, at the time of the disappearance.

I thought this book just plodded for the first 150 pages. I was thinking that it was a thriller without the thrills. Also, it was hard to relate to the main characters of the Jones family, as we know so little about them. Sandra goes missing very early on, husband, Jason is as cold as ice, and the daughter, Ree is
just a kid.

However, as the book progressed, I started to enjoy it, as more details about the characters, and their strange family life was revealed. Overall, I thought the novel was a solid read, but by no means outstanding.

The Pillars of the Earth
The Pillars of the Earth
by Ken Follett

5.0 out of 5 stars A towering saga...I really enjoyed it!, 8 Jan 2010
The Pillars of the Earth is set in 12th century England, and centres around the building of a Cathedral, in the town of Kingsbridge. It is a long book with over 1,000 pages, and I was a bit apprehensive when I first started to read it. However, I found the book a fascinating, exciting and enchanting read!

The book has a fantastic range of characters, both good and evil, with all the range of human emotions. It is also full of political and religious intrigue. It is the sort of book you can completely immerse yourself in, and forget about what is going on around you. Its story and its characters will stay with me for a long time. Recommended.

Chart Throb
Chart Throb
by Ben Elton

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny Stuff!, 16 Dec 2009
This review is from: Chart Throb (Paperback)
Chart Throb is set around a fictional(ish!) 'reality' TV programme, in which contestants sing in front of three vain judges, in order to win the big prize of a recording contract. Sound familiar?

I thought this book was a very funny and entertaining read! The problem (if that is the right word to use) was, even though it was completely over the top in places, it was still hard to tell where the fact ended, and the fiction began!!

I'm nearly looking forward to watching the X-Factor again, just to have a good laugh!!

I'm Watching You
I'm Watching You
by Karen Rose

2.0 out of 5 stars Diminishing Returns, 15 Dec 2009
This review is from: I'm Watching You (Paperback)
This novel centres around Chicago Public Defender, Kirsten Mayhew. An obsessed vigilante is murdering criminals that she has failed to convict, and then sending her letters of admiration. Dectective Abe Reagan of the Chicago Police Department is sent to protect her, as it is feared Kirsten could become a target of the vigilante, or other criminals.

I found this story a bit of a disappointment. Having read a number of Karen Rose novels, I am starting to see a 'sameness' about them, which I don't like. I found myself cringing at times, at the dialogue between the two main characters, who were unconvincing. The story was a bit more slow moving, also, in comparison to other Karen Rose novels that I have read. Not one of her best.

Until it's Over
Until it's Over
by Nicci French

4.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want it to be over!, 1 Dec 2009
This review is from: Until it's Over (Paperback)
I've read a number of Nicci French novels, and I to say I found Until It's Over, one of the better ones. The first part of the novel centres around Astrid Bell, who lives with a number of housemates, in a large house in London. We see the unfolding story through her eyes.

Astrid works as a cycle courier, and one evening while cycling home, she is accidently knocked off her bike, by a neighbour opening her car door. Later, that neighbour is found dead. A few days later Astrid is asked to pick up a package, in an posh neighbourhood. When she arrives at the house, she finds the owner murdered in her hallway. Needless, to say, this is too much of a coincidence, for the police, and they begin to investigate, Astrid and her housemates.

In the second part of the novel, we see the same events unfold, but this time, through the eyes of the killer. I thought this part of the story would be less interesting, as the killer has been revealed to the reader, but this was not the case. In fact, this part of the novel is possibly more exciting, as we see how the killer manipulates the housemates, and the police to their advantage.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable novel, that had me hooked from start to finish. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who likes 'whodunnit' type thrillers.

Fractured: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 2)
Fractured: (Will Trent / Atlanta series 2)
by Karin Slaughter

3.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, but a bit slow moving, 26 Nov 2009
In Fractured, the only daughter of wealthy Atlanta couple, Paul and Abigail Campano, is kidnapped from their house. When the local police make an error of judgement at the beginning of the investigation, Will Trent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, is sent in to assist with the case. He is paired with Faith Mitchell of the Atlanta Police Department, a woman who has reason to dislike him.

As with the earlier, Will Trent novel, Triptych, the twists arrive early on in this story. After the first initial scenes, however, I felt the pace of the story became quite slow, and a bit dull, as Will and Faith slowly piece together the pieces of the case. It did not really pick up until the last hundred or so pages, when everything starts to come together. I did think the character development was good though, and I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Page: 1-10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21-26