Profile for Caroline Smith > Reviews

Content by Caroline Smith

Caroline Smith

21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects (and Other Stuff)
21st Century Dodos: A Collection of Endangered Objects (and Other Stuff)

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book but technical issues with Kindle version, 12 Nov. 2012
As someone born in 1980, I think this book is simply BRILLIANT.
However, there are some technical issues with the Kindle version!
The pictures don't work, which is a shame. And it won't let me get past half way, even if I remove and re-download the book. It's tried to make me do this 5+ times now, and I've given up.
But I desperately want to read the second half! :(
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2012 8:15 AM GMT

The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook
by Tarek Malouf

4.0 out of 5 stars Unconventional but delicious, 7 Oct. 2009
After a trip to the Magnolia Bakery in New York, I've got a bit obsessed with cupcakes. So off I went to Hummingbird in South Kensington. The red velvet cupcake was delicious but I was slightly disappointed with the vanilla one I bought, so I decided to buy the book and see if I could do better.

I learnt to bake on the good old English victoria sponge recipe (cream butter and sugar with a wooden spoon, add egg slowly, fold in flour with a metal spoon) cooked in a gas oven. Since moving out of my parent's house I have had next to no success with baking in my electric fan assisted oven.

Not any more.

First stop, red velvet cupcakes. Turned out absolutely fine, although personally I'd go for a bit more cocoa powder and a bit less red food colouring! I substituted plain yoghurt for the buttermilk and it was fine. The batter consistency was a surprise to my traditional sponge sensibilities, but they rose beautifully and came out nice and fluffy. I made the cream cheese frosting, and didn't have any issues with lumps at all.
Oh, I'm doing all this by hand as well. No mixers or hand blenders for me. Also with little old fairy cake tins and cases, as that's what I had in the cupboard. And half a tub of ancient Stork from the back of the fridge and some Flora... (yeah, I know...)
I made these on Sunday and brought them in to work today (Wednesday). The sponge does seem to have improved with a few days in a tupperware! My colleagues like them, but agree they need more cocoa powder.

Next stop, basic vanilla and marshmallow cupcakes, with just vanilla frosting.
Again, no problems with any of the recipes, and the cakes are the lightest and most moist I have ever made. I had a bit of a nightmare melting marshmallows, but that was all to do with me and nothing to do with the book. (I can recommend just cutting a marshmallow in half and shoving it in the hollow in middle of the cupcake where the melted marshmallow is meant to go - my colleagues ADORED these.)
I found my frosting turned out slightly runnier than I would have liked but again that is purely personal preference, and lack of patience with the beating I'm sure.

So absolutely no complaints here, and in fact THANK YOU Hummingbird for helping me conquer my electric oven!

He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys
He's Just Not That Into You: The No-Excuses Truth to Understanding Guys
by Greg Behrendt

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm... mixed feelings, 6 Jun. 2008
My friend lent me a copy of this book - she thought I needed it because I was contemplating asking a guy out. I wasn't convinced.

And I'm still not.
Although a lot of what the book has to say about "not that into you" clues early on in a relationship is fairly reasonable, I think it's pretty rubbish once you get further down the path. For instance, the example where a woman is happily settled with a guy who previously got messily divorced but is reluctant to get married again... Greg all but suggests she dump him. Uh, no! I got angrier and angrier as I got further and further in to the book. The one-size-fits-all approach really isn't appropriate in the real world.

Regardless, I'm going to go and ask that guy out. Greg has annoyed me to the point where I'm going to do it just because I can!

Oh, and the friend that lent it to me? Very, very single...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2009 1:23 AM BST