Profile for Mr. J. Hardy > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Hardy

Mr. J. Hardy (UK)

32GB KingSpec 2.5-inch PATA/IDE SSD Solid State Disk (MLC Flash) SM2236 Controller
Offered by KEZOLL

5.0 out of 5 stars Much quicker in a T41, 9 Nov. 2012
Bought this to revive an aging IBM (Lenovo) T43, however I later discovered that the T43 IDE interface is a SATA interface converted back to PATA. The result with this drive was that the T43 refused to boot Windows XP after install. Happily I also have an old IBM T41 - the drive works fine with this machine which has a native PATA interface. Much quicker now and hopefully it will stay that way as it claims to have a different disk controller to most Kingspec SSDs (older drives have a JMF605), which a quick Google will show isn't that well regarded.
All in all, very quick delivery and in the right machine seems to be very effective.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2013 11:45 AM BST

Epson Perfection V330 LED Photo Scanner (4800dpi)
Epson Perfection V330 LED Photo Scanner (4800dpi)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Scanner for slides, 1 Jan. 2011
I bought this scanner to copy the thousands of slides I have from the 60s and 70's. I have to say the quality of the scans is fantastic. It works extremely well in full auto mode when this is set up and I have nothing but praise for the resulting scans.
I have one small quibble which is this scanner will only scan standard size slides. I have some over size slides which the scanner will only scan a portion of. There are ways round this but it requires stitching part scans back together which is a bit of a pain.

I have also scanned some negatives and again it easily auto detects and splits the negative into it's constituent pictures. Again the quality is fantastic.

I also get excellent results for standard scanning of prints.

All in all highly recommended.

One small tip - I have some large contact negatives from the 50's. These can be scanned as a normal scan but with the lid open and a piece of diffuser plastic placed over the negative. With a reasonable amount of lighting shining through the plastic the scan will work well. It does of course have to be done in manual mode. I haven't tried it yet but this may well work with the oversize slides I have too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2011 6:23 PM GMT

Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design
Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design
by Stephen C. Meyer

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written, 22 Dec. 2009
I have really enjoyed reading this book.

It is an account of Meyers intellectual journey and why he is convinced of ID.
Sometimes books like this can be difficult to read. This one is not. I found it very enjoyable and his insights facinating.

I have to say that I find his arguments for ID pretty convincing.
I am assuming the one star reviewers either read a different book or maybe (but this couldn't be true could it) have an agenda and a difficult position to defend.

Look out for more so called "junk DNA" turning out to do important things as we learn more...

If you are interested in ID this is a great read.
If you are still making your mind up this is one of the better books on ID.
If you are against ID - then maybe don't bother it will just annoy you, as it's a good well argued reason to accept ID.

Sony DCR-HC18E Digital Camcorder
Sony DCR-HC18E Digital Camcorder

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 10 Nov. 2004
Fantastic price, however within a couple of minutes of using the camcorder it reported C:22:00 "Dirty Video head. Use a cleaning cassette." As I didn't have a cleaning cassette I had to buy one £20:00!!!!!. and what a waste of money that was, the banding and blue screen associated with a dirty video head (see page 86 of the manual) doesn't go away. So I went for a return. Amazon were great - instant replay and a new camcorder was sent - very quick and good service. However within two minutes of using the new camcorder (with a totally different tape) it reported exactly the same fault - it won't record and the head won't clean. I've just requested another return, if this one fails I give in. Shame I've spent nearly £60 on Tapes, a case and a useless tape head cleaner.
I've not had a great experience of Sony my previous analogue camcorder failed not long after the guarantee ran out - a pinch roller broke for no good reason. The cost of repair was more than the price of a new one! :o(