Profile for Gloria Lee > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
I Want My Hat Back
I Want My Hat Back
by Jon Klassen

2.0 out of 5 stars Illustrations - Great, Copy - Dull, Book - Disappointing, 19 Aug. 2015
This review is from: I Want My Hat Back (Paperback)
The reviews and awards made me feel like this was a must have for our toddler's book collection. The art work looked superb too, but I found the written content dull and frankly poor, bar a decent ending, and even this is rather spoiled, because the book just doesn't flow well. I'm sorry to say it comes across like a very talented illustrator and parent just thought I could write a children's book to go with my art and this is the result.

Perhaps my family is just missing something, because we can't grasp what some very respected judges are seeing in the writing (the quality of the illustration is clear) when they praise this work so highly. The majority of Amazon reviews also seem totally at odds with our view, which isn't normally the case, and we read and buy a lot of children's books. Given all this I am being totally honest when I say this is the most disappointing book I have ever purchased (I'm a little worried as I also ordered the follow up book at the same time which hasn't arrived yet). I have absolutely bought and read far worse books than this, but given the high standard I was expecting, I was almost lost for words at the end. My wife even shouted from another room as I was part way through reading it to our son to say 'that book sounds incredibly boring', and I promise it wasn't my delivery. My son seemed to like it marginally more than I did, which obviously counts, but he couldn't bring himself to say 'yes' when I asked if he liked it, and there seems little prospect he'll ask for it to be read again.

To give you a feel for the style of writing, the first half dozen pages virtually say the same thing i.e. 'Have you seen my hat? No I haven't seen your hat. OK. Thank you anyway.' The primary thing that changes is the animal the lead character asks the question to. In fact the repetitive line 'OK. Thank you anyway.' continues through to the end of the book and is a key reason for the poor flow and rather clumsy delivery, because it doesn't quite fit with all the lines before. This is especially the case on the final page when a good ending is finished off.

Facom FCMACL1A ACL.1APB Ratcheting Bit Holder Screwdriver
Facom FCMACL1A ACL.1APB Ratcheting Bit Holder Screwdriver

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit Changing A Problem, 2 Jan. 2015
You need fingers of steel and a vice to push the red cap clips in to remove the bit holder from the top of the Screwdriver. It took me more than 5 minutes of pain and fiddling to do this the first time. The green cap removes very easily and smoothly from its holder, so the issue is clearly with the design of the top end of the Screwdriver.

I contacted the shop I purchased from (who were more than happy to give a refund) and they opened some of their stock to double check if I had a faulty one. They were up front enough to admit finding the same issue. To be honest I'm surprised no other reviewer has had this problem, as it seems like a design fault.

It's a real shame as otherwise it looks a very good product for the money, but you simply can't be painfully fighting the tool and developing calluses every time you want to change an end.

Wüsthof GOURMET Offset handle bread knife - 4121 / 20 cm with wavy edge
Wüsthof GOURMET Offset handle bread knife - 4121 / 20 cm with wavy edge
Offered by KitchenStore

2.0 out of 5 stars Warning You Do NOT Get The Knife Pictured (unless updated since this review), 14 Dec. 2014
I just wanted to warn people that the z-shaped knife pictured, which is also showing as 18cm unless it has been changed now, is NOT the knife you get. This is the knife you get sent [...]. I asked the supplier given a previous bad review about this fact, and it seems the wrong picture is still being used as they sent me the link above, which was really frustrating as I wanted the z-shaped knife pictured.

Dreambaby Safety Gate (White)
Dreambaby Safety Gate (White)

2.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE OF AGE RESTRICTION, 20 Aug. 2014
I have just received this gate and to my surprise there is a warning on the box that says it is only for children up to 24 months old! My son is coming up to 16 months and we are already concerned he can open the gate from his first few attempts, and even if he couldn't we'd only be able to safely have it for a maximum of 8 more months more according to the packaging. I immediately checked the Amazon advertisement to check if I'd missed the age restriction warning but it doesn't seem to be shown on the advertisement page which is frustrating as that's wasted a lot of time and effort.

Another thing that is worth consideration that is misleading on the sales page, which says 'Pressure mounted with the option of hardware mounting', is that if you are using this product on stairs as most will then you cannot simply pressure mount it, you MUST use hardware mounting i.e. screws to attach holding cups to the uprights, which defeats my own reason for purchase since I wanted to avoid damaging my wooden stair case with screws.

I'm actually quite angry that I've wasted time and money on this product because it's not been sold with clear information and some may say the sales page is deliberately misleading. I certainly wouldn't have bought if I'd known all the facts up front.

60w Bc Opal Candle Bulb Pack Of 10
60w Bc Opal Candle Bulb Pack Of 10
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Repeatedly Blow - Seem Very Poor Quality, 25 July 2014
So far the first 5 bulbs we have used have failed within a few days and in a light that is rarely used. We literally turn the light on and pop goes another bulb, so perhaps we have a faulty batch or perhaps they are just very poor quality and they are very cheap. We have never before experienced this issue and have used the room and ceiling light for roughly 10 years.

N4U ONLINE - 25 PRE-CUT Name Tapes Labels IRON-ON School Uniform tag - PLEASE SEND NAME TO BE PRINTED VIA AMAZON MESSAGE SYSTEM
Offered by N4U Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Shocked on Arrival, 2 July 2014
I was shocked when these arrived as they look and feel like a paper label that someone has then typed the name on (off centre vertically I might add). I can't believe these will stay on after a few washes, in fact I'm not sure I want to risk the effort of ironing on more than one before testing, and having revisited the reviews here, I'm not even sure why I bought these, as lots of people appear to be saying they don't stay on. If one does survive a wash I'll come back an edit as appropriate.

72 Woven Sew in School Name Tapes Name Tags Labels, SEND MESSAGE WITH DETAILS AFTER ORDERING
Offered by Woven Labels UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Unusable, 30 Jun. 2014
These simply fell apart, even when trying to sew them on. They are poor quality and I certainly would not recommend them.

niceEshop(TM) Motorbike Alarm Security Bicycle Lock Moped Bike-Black
niceEshop(TM) Motorbike Alarm Security Bicycle Lock Moped Bike-Black
Offered by CZ-Sky [ships from HongKong]

1.0 out of 5 stars Plastic is too brittle so difficult to tighten screws sufficiently, 24 Jun. 2014
Unfortunately as soon as I tried to screw this alarm to my bike frame the first screw head simply pulled through the plastic (no washers are included with the nuts and bolts), and when tightening the second, even very gently given my earlier experience, the nut pulled through the plastic the other side! A circle of plastic simply popped out of the moulding as the nut tightened, and of course rendered the alarm useless since a thief can now simply pull the alarm off the frame! I appreciate this is about as cheap an alarm as you can buy, but I didn't expect the plastic to be so brittle. If it is this brittle then including washers would help avoid this issue, but the screws that come with it would need to be a tiny bit longer to allow for washers both sides (there are much longer screws included too, but so long they would look quite weird sticking out quite some way). No idea if the alarm does its other job well as never got that far.

For those unaware, this alarm also needs a 9v battery (not included), and if you want to change the code on your alarm to one of your choosing you simply take the battery out, then type in the default code ABCA and then your own. If the alarm was going off you could also just remove the battery, so basically this seems to offer a thief about £3 worth of aggravation factor i.e. the same amount as I've had already with it as the bike owner.

Songmics 3 Handles Bamboo Laundry Basket Laundry Box with Lids 40 x 30 x 60cm LCB101
Offered by Songmics

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheaply Manufactured Flimsy Rubbish, 16 Jun. 2014
Please don't expect anything other than a cheap laundry basket. The picture is flattering as it doesn't convey how solid or otherwise the product is. I imagine the mark up on this is pretty big as it can't cost much to make give how flimsy it is. The cardboard base (you can't see it in the picture) is literally visible cardboard (inside and out) that you drop down the basket (it's just a tube effectively) to simply rest on 4 bottom protruding lips i.e. it doesn't attach/clip to anything, and mine was torn across the bottom. The lid doesn't exactly go on a fitted lip in the sense of a saucepan lid, the lid here literally balances on the top as if it was a piece of card placed across the top of an open topped box.

Bionaire BASF1516-IUK 2-in-1 Desk/Stand Fan
Bionaire BASF1516-IUK 2-in-1 Desk/Stand Fan
Offered by Awesome-Online

1.0 out of 5 stars Do You Want to Risk Half a Fan for Your Money?, 14 Jun. 2014
Our fan arrived today in a box that looked like it had spent a few weeks with some angry airport baggage handling guys, and upon opening some of the contents had a distinctly used look about them e.g. scuffs, scratches and marks. However, the bigger issue was the fact the box only included some of the parts required for assembly, so it was totally unusable. From parts A - T in the instructions, parts Q, R, S, I, E, D were missing, so that's 6 out of 20 lost in space somewhere. Indeed the instructions state under a bold capitalised title 'Missing a part for your fan?', 'then please call this number...', which of course suggests that missing parts may be a regular occurrence for this item, but when I called the number they refused to send me the parts and just said deal with the company who sold it to you. When I mentioned the missing parts hotline they simply said 'we don't know anything about that'! Best avoid imo, but if you do take the risk be aware that I suspect you will find it far too tall/large if you are buying for the 'desk fan' option, even when shortened to the minimum height.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4