Profile for twinmum > Reviews

Burrows The Meerkat - TY Beanies 11" Classic
Burrows The Meerkat - TY Beanies 11" Classic
Offered by Trade Beanies

5.0 out of 5 stars nice toy, 20 Mar 2014
My little boy 'needed' a cuddly meerkat and we chose the TY beanies one for Christmas. It is very soft and cuddly and my son is very happy with his choice.

Wild Republic 23cm Natural Pose Seal Harp Plush
Wild Republic 23cm Natural Pose Seal Harp Plush
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

5.0 out of 5 stars If it's a baby seal toy you are after..., 20 Mar 2014
my 4 year old recommends this one, it immediately became his favourite cuddly toy, both child and seal seem very happy!

Italian Vegetarian Cookery
Italian Vegetarian Cookery
by Paola Gavin

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 20 Mar 2014
I was bought this in 1996 and it is the only recipe book I keep going back to again and again. The recipes are clear, easy to follow, and reliable - and the end results are delicious. Such a shame it is out of print as it really is an excellent book.

Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer
Gro-Clock Sleep Trainer

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, 30 Sep 2013
As other reviewers have commented, it is rather bright, even on the most dimmed setting, we set the background night light to off so there was no blue glow at all. We gave it a go for a few weeks and we used the short story that comes with it. I think we probably started it too late, when my boys were already 3, they would wake up before the sun came up on the clock and say that the sun was up but not the one on the clock the one outside. Ah. I think this clock and similar products are an excellent idea and I wish we had knew to buy one earlier so that we did sleep training from when they were much smaller rather than buy this trying to fix a problem.

Hiccup The Viking Who Was Seasick
Hiccup The Viking Who Was Seasick
by Cressida Cowell

5.0 out of 5 stars Only girlies brush their beards, 30 Sep 2013
This is the author of the fantastically successful How to tame your dragon series of books for older children. We saw the Cressida Cowell exhibition at Seven Stories in Newcastle and we read this book there. It is funny, my boys laugh every time at the description of Hiccup's father especially the bunnies fainting and the unbrushed beard. I would love to know how to sing the sea shanty in it properly especially after hearing David Tennant's Viking songs in the Seven Stories exhibition.

Callum's Incredible Construction Kit
Callum's Incredible Construction Kit
by Jonathan Emmett

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for little boys, 30 Sep 2013
We heard about this book from the excellent Seven Stories children's book museum in Newcastle. It is great for little boys, there's construction kit that gets bigger and funnier, there's humour in the text and in the illustrations and my boys love looking at all the detail in the pull out extra big page at the back.

The Way I Feel
The Way I Feel
by Janan Cain

5.0 out of 5 stars Not judging, just stating, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Way I Feel (Hardcover)
Unlike a lot of the emotions books available in which scenarios are presented that might make a child feel a certain way, this publication has short poems that describe a variety of emotions, without saying that they are good or bad, right or wrong. The book focuses on how you feel not what makes you feel a particular way. I like this approach. The aim is to help children to articulate how they feel and to talk about emotions without being made to feel at fault for how they feel. I skip the 'scared' page because it is about being scared of a thunder storm at night and the child wants the light on, neither of my children are scared of these things and I don't want to give them ideas! The other descriptions of emotions do not lead a child to associate a particular feeling with a particular situation. This means parents can use the poems as a spring board for talking about feelings and emotions that are specific to the individual child that might be different to generalised ideas of what makes us feel sad, angry, etc. (Many books seem to focus on the 'he snatched my toy, I feel angry, what do I need to do to stop that feeling' approach to emotions that might lead a child to modify his behaviour in a negative way). This book simply, and with lovely illustrations, says 'here are some emotions, we all feel them, they are all a part of who we are'.

I used this with one of my children who gets very upset and sometimes angry at what he thinks is unfairness, but my other boy loves the book too and they quite often like to have it read just because they enjoy it.

Parenting School-Age Twins and Multiples
Parenting School-Age Twins and Multiples
by Christina Baglivi Tinglof

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful book on school aged twins, 30 Sep 2013
This book is really useful, it helps understand all the dilemmas parents of twins coming up for nursery and school face, I think it is better than the Carol Cooper publication.
The author is American so there are differences in the school systems but the key decisions we need to make such as when to send premature multiples, how to cope with differences of ability, whether to split up or keep twins together, twin dynamics when there is differing popularity, ability, social integration etc. are all excellent. I would recommend this book in combination with the resources available through TAMBA's website.

How Twins Grow Up
How Twins Grow Up
by Mary Rosambeau

1.0 out of 5 stars Can't rate the book but very disappointed with seller, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: How Twins Grow Up (Hardcover)
Well I bought this used but in new condition because it is an old book. I didn't pay much for it but I certainly did not expect to receive a copy with pages torn out, black marker pen over sections of the text, scribbled lines under the text, and someone's notes in the margins. This is not my idea of new condition at all. I haven't been able to read the book because of how it was defaced and I wanted to because much that is written on twins in the UK is based on this study.

When I Feel Angry (Way I Feel Books)
When I Feel Angry (Way I Feel Books)
by Nancy Cote

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not sure about this one, 30 Sep 2013
I haven't used it with my children, maybe they are still a bit too young. I'm not sure about providing scenarios that might make you angry at this age as it might give them ideas, perhaps when they are a bit older but I hope I won't need it then!

Page: 1 | 2