Profile for Mr. J. Hayes > Reviews

Content by Mr. J. Hayes

Mr. J. Hayes (Ireland)

Inov8 Pentax D-LI92 Replacement Lithium Digital Camera Battery 650mAh 3.7v Li-ion 2 year warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with my Pentax Optio WG-1, 13 Jun 2013
I have used this for just over a year and it is still holding a charge pretty well. I cannot tell the difference between it and the battery that came included with the camera, a Pentax Optio WG-1.

Polaroid Floating Flotation Wrist Strap (Red) For Underwater / Waterproof Cameras, Camcorders And Housings

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 13 Jun 2013
This little flotation device works perfectly with my Pentax Optio WG-1. It is buoyant enough that if the camera happens to slip out of my hand it will float at the water's surface. The little clip included is quite secure and allows easy removal and reattachment of the floatation wrist strap. No problems so far, I have used it for 2 summer vacations with plenty of swimming.

OWI 6-in-1 Educational Solar Kit
OWI 6-in-1 Educational Solar Kit
Offered by FT-Deal.

2.0 out of 5 stars Parts don't quite fit..., 20 Jan 2012
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: DIY 6 in 1 Solar Powered Toy (Toy)
I bought this kit for my 10 year old daughter who has dreams of building robots and other inventions. From the photos of the kit I figured this would be made of little modules that snap together, so that she could have fun making each of the six solar powered robots.

My main complaint is that the parts are so badly designed that they do not "snap together". I had to file some components in the motor unit down to make them fit, others could be forced but I was seriously worried they would break and there is no way they are coming apart again! The "legs" and "tail" for the solar dog (the first and so far only one we made) are wedged in place such that they have a tendency to pop back out like corks from a bottle. To add insult to injury, the first time she brought the toy outside to get it powered by sunlight the "tail" popped off and was lost.

Out of the box it is like a traditional plastic model kit, where the parts need to be gently twisted off the struts and sharp edges filed away (file not included). There was also a small bag with wires, springs, metal rods, solar panel and a tiny tiny motor. There are no extra parts or wires.

The first thing you have to do is build the solar panel and the motor unit. The solar panel was simple enough, but constructing the motor required quite a LOT of care so as not to break tiny parts - it is really small! I ended up constructing the motor for my daughter as there was no way she could force the parts together (it took a LOT of pressure) while keeping fiddly wires and springs sitting level in their housings.

The solar unit requires bright, direct sunlight. I have solar powered calculators that work in dim rooms but the motor on this toy will not budge unless it has clear-blue-sky-blinding-sun-light!

Another complaint is that although the instructions show the wires inserted into the springs to make electrical connections, we found that the only way we could make those connections was to force the wires into the springs with a butter knife (butter knife not included). There was no question of pulling the wires taught and sliding them down onto the springs (like pushing dental floss between teeth), this just did not work. Maybe the wires are too short?

All in all I would say this kit is more suited to older children (teens?) or adults. It requires patience above and beyond simple model making as well as access to tools for fine tuning. This model might be capable of 6-in-1 but I would be very surprised if we could take the first robot apart without breaking one or more of the parts.

Better by far was the other (similarly priced) kit I bought for her Lego: Crazy Action Contraptions (Klutz). All the parts fit, and the contraptions are powered by rubber bands and gears. The parts are truly modular and reusable. Sorted!

Digital Timelapse Project Camera with adjustable lense and Timelapse Settings
Digital Timelapse Project Camera with adjustable lense and Timelapse Settings
Offered by Garden Secrets

3.0 out of 5 stars Great, except for the low quality of the pictures., 5 Sep 2011
My main complaint is that due to the surprisingly low quality of the images coming from a 4MP image sensor I have been disappointed time and time again with the resulting videos and still images. I own an old 3MP camera which has never had the issues I outline below.

I bought this Project Camera as I need to document the construction of an outdoor project, which may take several weeks at least, and there are no convenient windows where I could setup a simple indoor webcam. Most "trail cams" I looked at did not have a time lapse mode, most utilizing motion sensors, so out of a selection of some very expensive cameras this seemed to be the one for me. On a side note - the Project Camera and the Plant Camera, both made by Wingscapes, are exactly the same product. The only distinction is that one is green and one is dark grey. This was confirmed by Wingscapes.

I like this product, it does most everything I want in an outdoor, weather resistant, battery operated time lapse camera. If this is your first foray into time lapse videos, and you plan to shoot outdoors, then this may be the starter camera for you. It is easy to setup and forget about. I purchased a 16GB card to go with mine so that I can shoot for extended periods at the highest quality setting, 4MP. If you do plan to shoot close up images - such as blooming flowers - do take the time to run several focus tests to avoid disappointment, as I found the focal depth to be quite shallow. However, that is not my main complaint.

In all three Wingscapes Project Cameras that I ended up testing (one shipped from the US and two from the UK) there was a consistent problem with random horizontal lines, dark or light, appearing in images. When these are strung together as a time lapse video the lines leap about the screen and are very distracting. Also, the images have a lot of "noise" usually associated with low lighting conditions but appearing even in brightly sunlit scenes.

The only positive out of this is that the compression of the videos when uploaded to YouTube seems to remove most of the low contrast lines and smooths out the noise, leaving only the occasional dark or very light lines to mar the video. The lines are less visible in "busy" scenes, but don't expect to get away with it if there are large expanses of flat color, such as blue sky, flat walls, a white backdrop, etc.

I must say that both the vendor I purchased from (Garden Secrets) and the producer (Wingscapes) have excellent customer service. When I complained to Garden Secrets, they did not hesitate to replace the camera. When the replacement camera turned out to have the same troubles I then complained directly to Wingscapes, who kindly offered to ship me a replacement camera - I only had to pay for the import taxes. Unfortunately this third camera also suffered the same problems with quality, at which point I had to give in to the inevitable.

I have made time lapse videos before with a laptop's internal webcam, with external USB webcams, and with higher spec digital cameras on a tripod. I have never before come across these distracting horizontal lines and excess noise in a digital camera when photographing a sunlit scene. Maybe other users may not be as critical of the end results. However, as I need an outdoor camera, and I am unwilling to fork out 3 times the price for something I may end up using rarely (Bushnell TrophyCam 1080p HD Black), I will make do with this one for now.

Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [DVD]
Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Shatner

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but questionable quality..., 9 July 2009
Of course the original Star Trek series is fantastic, so I will not review THAT content. As a Star Trek fan these are an enjoyable and essential addition to any DVD library. However...

This set of DVDs falls flat on several fronts. The sound quality varies substantially (negatively) from one DVD to the next. I have tried them on 2 separate DVD players, so it is not a failing of a particular player. This is a dissapointment, as the shows are great, especially with the remastered exterior special effects. It seems that vocal tracks and music tracks have been mastered separately, so sometimes the vocals are lost to background music.

The very first episode on the first DVD contained a digital glitch which caused my 2 separate DVD players to hang... The only solution was to fast forward past the offending section, after which the DVD played normally.

Another failing is in the order of the episodes and the design of the cases. The episodes follow the order they were initially aired in the US (one can only presume - as there is no written explanation), yet on the DVD interface each episode is numbered in what initially appears to be a random fashion. I can only presume (after some research) that the numbers were included so that if you want you can view the episodes in the story order they were written or recorded, jumping from DVD to DVD to DVD...

In order to see what episodes are on each DVD, the case liner needs to be removed - a pain - it would have been nice to have that info either printed on the back or included as an insert.

Those few complaints aside, it is fantastic to have each complete season in a single box set. Also it is the ONLY collection I have come across, so I cannot recommend any alternatives. As such I recommend this set (and seasons 2 & 3) to fans, just that they should be prepared to quickly review the entire DVD set and attempt to return for exchange any that are truly corrupt. Let the buyer beware...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2013 8:53 PM GMT