Profile for Michael Kirwan > Reviews

Content by Michael Kirwan

Michael Kirwan (Greystones, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
SnoozeShade The Blackout Blind for Prams and Pushchairs
SnoozeShade The Blackout Blind for Prams and Pushchairs
Offered by Baby Lurve
Price: 24.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleep for baby, dream come true for parents., 30 Jun 2014
While looking for an insect net here for our upcoming holiday, this item was included in my search results.

I didn't know such a thing existed before having seen this and having read reviews decided to pick it up.

We have a Quinny Buzz and tried it out on the dreami-cot on a sunny afternoon a couple of weeks ago. It worked a treat. Once fitted our newborn went straight to sleep and remained asleep for a couple of hours, so she seemed quite content.

I held off on doing the review as I wanted to wait and see about using it on the push-chair when it was fitted to the frame of the Quinny.

It's not a perfect fit, I wouldn't expect it to be, but it took some amount of fiddling about to ensure a good dark environment. Having fitted it, there was still quite a bit of light leaking in the sides and no adjustment of the Velcro straps seemed to help. Eventually I thought to push the canopy back so that it was only about half extended and this served to tighten up the sides of the shade in line with the frame of the pushchair. Job done!

It works extremely well and in the bright sunlight we've been enjoying here, it's been a huge help in getting our 11 week old off to a good sleep.

Angelfish Pink SwimFin
Angelfish Pink SwimFin
Offered by inandout-distribution
Price: 20.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright Pink Fin - Bringer of confidence!, 30 Jun 2014
This is a great idea and a very useful aid to teaching a child to swim as well as giving confidence in the water.

My daughter hates arm bands and doesn't like using float boards, so having read other reviews of this, I decided to get one as we're off on holiday soon and I want to be able to enjoy the pool with my daughter as much as possible.

We took it to our local pool yesterday for a trial run and it was a resounding success! My daughter loves the look of it (well, it IS pink, after all) and was delighted to put it on.

It works well and my daughter was soon trying to get her legs up behind her to kick. By the end of our hour or so in the water she was far more confident than at any other time.

Where it loses a point is down to the fin not staying in place when my daughter was on her back in the water. The fin was moving on her back as if trying to work its way to the front and this lack of stability didn't really give me the confidence to continue with that exercise. Perhaps the straps could have been tightened some more, but the point of the session yesterday was to get comfortable with the fin, which we did achieve.

Things my daughter did yesterday, I believe as a direct result of the fin, included attempting some strokes, putting her face in the water (a huge deal for her) and eventually even putting her whole head under the water. She's delighted with herself, I'm delighted for her.

I just hope it doesn't

Columbia Men's Ridgeway Pebble/Rootbeer Sandal BM4403 10 UK
Columbia Men's Ridgeway Pebble/Rootbeer Sandal BM4403 10 UK
Offered by Millet Sports
Price: 50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, 30 Jun 2014
I had initially purchases a pair of Karrimor Antibes sandals via Sports Direct, however they were pretty flimsy and one of the straps ripped after a walk of less than 2km, meaning I've had to post them back at my own expense for a refund.

Not wanting to give them any further business (Karrimor or Sports Direct), I opted instead to purchase these sandals directly from Amazon.

Sizing is spot on for me. I generally wear size 10s and these are a perfect fit. I've had a few decent walks in them including an hour long stroll doing a few laps of St. Stephen's Green in Dublin and there is not a bother with them. I was expecting a couple of blisters, but none appeared.

They look good too but aren't as dark a grey as they appear in the images.

Would happily recommend these to anyone.

Converse Unisex-Adult Sea Star LS OX Boat Shoes 129715 Dress Blue/White 10 UK
Converse Unisex-Adult Sea Star LS OX Boat Shoes 129715 Dress Blue/White 10 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more comfortable than traditional style Cons, 12 Jun 2014
I bought these an age ago and now that the weather is good, finally got around to wearing them. I'm a UK size 10 and these are a bit of a snug fit, but not uncomfortably so. Certainly walking around for around two hours in them was no issue anyway.

They look the part for summer wear.

Battery for Tomy Walkabout Premier Advance 4.8V 700mAh
Battery for Tomy Walkabout Premier Advance 4.8V 700mAh
Offered by Elite Electronics
Price: 7.40

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a battery. For a Tomy., 12 Jun 2014
Having had our second child, it was time to unpack all the baby stuff and get organised. When we tested the Tomy monitor to see if it was working, the receiver unit wouldn't stay on and wouldn't charge.

Rather than fork out on a new unit, I decided to rule out the battery being the issue first and picked this up. A very quick job to change the battery and hey presto, the unit is working again like new. A very cheap fix.

Sophie The Giraffe Original Teether in Blister Pack (White)
Sophie The Giraffe Original Teether in Blister Pack (White)
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Who knew?, 12 Jun 2014
We bought this for our two month old daughter and somehow or other she's become very attached to it! I assumed it was a teething toy and that she'd only be interested in it when her teeth start to come out, but she seems to enjoy gripping it. It squeaks too, which seems to distract her if she's about to go off on one, so a bit of a squeak can save your eardrums.

A surprisingly good purchase!

Karrimor Men's Traveller Supa Dark Grey Walking Shoe K407DGY157 10 UK
Karrimor Men's Traveller Supa Dark Grey Walking Shoe K407DGY157 10 UK
Price: 80.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Got what I paid for, 4 April 2014
I thought these were a bargain, but they just turned out to be cheap. They fit fine and are reasonably comfortable, but the insoles just will not stay in place. They keep riding up in the shoe until they protrude from the heel. I've never experienced this with footwear before and as a result I'm very reluctant to wear them.

Berghaus Optimus 40 Wheeled Travel Bag
Berghaus Optimus 40 Wheeled Travel Bag
Price: 74.58

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for short trips, 4 April 2014
Really like this bag. Got it as a lightning deal and have used it a few times since then. The bag is hard wearing and is very spacious inside. the compartment for toiletries is well thought out. My only crib would be that it would be nice if the front pocket wasn't so deep as it would be much handier for passport/boarding passes etc. Small complaint really though, in the greater scheme of things.

Match Mens Twill Cargo Shorts Quick-dry Summer Shorts S3612(3612 Mud,40W x Regular)
Offered by Match_Garment

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable, 4 April 2014
For the price you'd be hard pressed to get better value.

The sizing is bang on and they are a very comfortable fit. The legs of them come down to my knees and look good. They're a nice colour in the flesh too.

No belt, but I knew that anyway and in any event I have a few belts that match the one in the picture.

LG G2D802 16GB Sim Free Android Phone (Black)
LG G2D802 16GB Sim Free Android Phone (Black)
Price: 279.82

4.0 out of 5 stars Great phone - not so great bloatware, 10 Jan 2014
In choosing this phone I'd been looking at others in the same sort of price bracket.

I'd ruled out the Samsungs almost instantly. I'm not a fan of touchwiz and despite my wife having a Note II and her being a huge, I just can't warm to their stuff.

I had been using an Xperia T, which I have to say I really liked. It's a fairly good looking phone, in an angular kind of way and the camera was great on it. I was leaning towards just stepping up to a Z or spending a little extra for a Z1... The Nexus 5 was also in the running

In the end, having read other reviews about the battery life and good critical reviews on tech/gadget websites I decided that I'd have a punt on this. I'm glad I did. On a full charge I did the usual "first things you do with your new phone" stuff - sign in, installation of apps, play around with the new UI take photos, test uploads, sign-in to social media, cloud storage etc. Four hours straight of putting the phone through its paces and 91% battery left. Even next day on arrival to work, the phone still had 70% charge and was telling me it could go on for another 21 hours. Based on usage up to then, that sort of performance from a battery is impressive. It charges quite quickly too, which is another plus.

The screen is amazing, the leap in quality from the Xperia T is incredible. The camera is pretty good, I haven't had a good play with it yet, but any pics I've taken in the dull light we seem to have been cursed by for the last few days have come out very well. Certainly those taken using the HDR function are vivid with very good colours.

The knock-on facility is fantastic. I also have a Nexus 7 and find myself now (even after just 3 days) knocking on the screen of the tablet to awaken it! Durrrr.

Some of the bloatware on the phone is completely unnecessary to anyone used to android, particularly pure implementations on Nexus devices. Having investigated some of the stuff, I'm not inclined to keep it. I'd imagine over the weekend I'll probably clear a lot of it out and install the Google Experience Launcher. But we'll see.

Still though, I'm happier with this than I was with the Xperia T and that never gave me any reason not to like it. If you're caught between N5 and G2, you'd be happy with either, but if battery is a concern for you, this is the one to get.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 30, 2014 9:39 PM GMT