Profile for J. S. Hardman > Reviews

Content by J. S. Hardman
Top Reviewer Ranking: 889

J. S. Hardman "Consultant software developer (contractor)" (Near London, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Aidapt  3-in-1 Pill Cutter/ Crusher and Storage
Aidapt 3-in-1 Pill Cutter/ Crusher and Storage
Offered by MP 1st Class Supplies

2.0 out of 5 stars Gone back to using a knife until I find something better, 9 Mar. 2013
I used to have an old Dutch "Pill Tool" for cutting tablets into the required size, but when that was "borrowed" I needed to find a replacement. I couldn't find another of the type I had before, so I searched on Amazon and found this instead. I figured that what it does is so simple that it couldn't be that much different to my old one. How wrong I was. Whereas my old one cut cleanly through tablets almost every time, this Aidapt cutter seems to break approximately half of the tablets into multiple bits. Is it a design issue, a manufacturing issue, is the blade simply not sharp enough? I don't know. All I know is that this Aidapt cutter is now sitting unused, and I have gone back to using a sharp knife to cut tablets until I find a better cutter.

(oh, and like another reviewer, I have snagged my finger on the blade in the Aidapt more than once - it's never drawn blood, but it's come close).

Coghlans Eyeglass Repair Kit
Coghlans Eyeglass Repair Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars Has saved the day many times, 23 Feb. 2013
It's nothing more than a cheap feeling screwdriver and a similarly cheap feeling magnifying glass, but since I bought one of these whilst on a trip to the USA a few years back, it has saved the day for me and for friends/colleagues many times. I paid less than four dollars in the USA. On Amazon today, this is being quoted at three and a half times that including UK delivery. That's just ridiculous, but even at that price, if it saves you from struggling home with a lens missing from your glasses, then it could be worth it...

Recommended, but the current price, including delivery, is just ridiculous.

Berlitz Language: Finnish In 60 Minutes (Berlitz in 60 Minutes)
Berlitz Language: Finnish In 60 Minutes (Berlitz in 60 Minutes)
by Inc. Berlitz International
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't worked for me, 11 Feb. 2013
I've learnt the basics of multiple languages from audio CDs, and then gone on to other forms of learning for some, whether face-to-face instruction or using Rosetta Stone studio sessions with a tutor. In learning the basics of those languages I have experienced a range of quality in the audio CDs, with some being very good at getting the listener to a point where he/she can do certain tasks (coping in restaurants, shopping, typical tourist stuff etc), and others being good at teaching a large vocabulary. There have also been some that just didn't achieve much at all. For me, this Berlitz "Finnish in 60 Minutes" unfortunately falls into that latter category.

Now, I listen to audio courses whilst driving, so I am not in a position to look at any printed material until some time later. That can be a bit of an issue - certainly one Polish course I listened to had me thinking I had heard certain letters, but later reading of the materials showed that I had misheard some subtle changes in pronunciation. Where I have hit that problem before, it only took one look at the materials or a bit more knowledge of the language (especially Polish) and then I was ok listening again. I haven't found that to be the case with this Finnish course. Perhaps it is just me, but with this course, I feel I need words repeated and the sounds that I am hearing explained to me. My ear is not attuned to the sounds I am hearing, so I am not sure what I am hearing, so any attempt to repeat it is likely to be horribly wrong.

It may be that if you can sit and concentrate on this course, with the materials in your hand, then it may work. However, for the way I use it - listening whilst driving, it has not worked for me at all. There seems to be a dearth of cheap, Finnish, audio courses, so I'll persist with this and hope I can find time to work with the booklet more, but based on my experience so far, I cannot recommend this course, despite the very low cost.

Note that I have used a web-site called finlandforum, and have been in contact with the Finnish Embassy. Both people on the forum and at the embassy have been incredibly helpful. Learners may find useful resources through either - hopefully, more useful than this course.

Under Armour 9" Core Short Pro Short de compression renforcé Anti-pubalgie Homme Graphite/Noir/Blanc FR : L (Taille Fabricant : LG)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very comfortable, lots of support, 11 Feb. 2013
There are items in the Under Armour range that work really well for me, and there are some that do not. These Under Armour Core Compression Men's 9 inch Coreshort Pro shorts (and the very similar Coreshort Pro shorts - very little difference) fall into the category that work. If I want a bit of extra warmth then I go for the leggings equivalent (Under Armour 2012 Men's Core Pro Compression Leggings), but otherwise either of these Coreshort Pro shorts are my preference when exercising.

They provide support where it's wanted (the X design seems strange at first, but it works) and good moisture properties to keep you comfortable even during a long workout. When they say Compression, they do mean it - these seem to work best when really snug - just take care to arrange things so that nothing sensitive gets bruised during exercise!

The only downside I find regularly with Under Armour, is that when you find an item you like, they very quickly sell out and it's hard to get the same again (in the UK, at least). Be warned.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shorts - excellent support, 11 Feb. 2013
There are items in the Under Armour range that work really well for me, and there are some that do not. These Under Armour Coreshort Pro shorts (and the very similar Core Compression Men's 9 inch Coreshort Pro - very little difference) fall into the category that work. If I want a bit of extra warmth then I go for the leggings equivalent (Under Armour 2012 Men's Core Pro Compression Leggings), but otherwise either of these Coreshort Pro shorts are my preference when exercising.

Under Armour UA Coreshort Pro Men's Leggings
Under Armour UA Coreshort Pro Men's Leggings

5.0 out of 5 stars Not my colour, but very practical. I like them., 11 Feb. 2013
There are items in the Under Armour range that work really well for me, and there are some that do not. These Under Armour 2012 Men's Core Pro Compression Leggings fall into the former category - I love them, although not quite as much as the Under Armour Coldgear Baselayer which is simply phenomenal (although with a different purpose).

These leggings may not be the greatest of colour schemes, but they are incredibly functional - providing support where it's wanted (the X design seems strange at first, but it works), just enough warmth to keep your muscles safe, and pretty good moisture properties to keep you comfortable even during a long workout.

I use mine for cardiovascular workouts, including cycling, running and sessions on the cross trainer. No chafing so far, although some careful arrangement of family jewels can be required to prevent bruising of bits - when they say Compression Leggings, they do mean Compression!

Despite the strange colour scheme, these can actually look good too. You don't have to be a serious athlete to wear them (I just like to keep fit - certainly not a serious athlete), but it's possibly best to get to the point where your stomach doesn't hang over the waistband before using them in public! Thankfully, these are so good, that having them is an incentive to get rid of any excess around the waist... I did!

The only downside I find regularly with Under Armour, is that when you find an item you like, they very quickly sell out and it's hard to get the same again. Be warned.

Under Armour 2012 Men's Core Pro Compression Leggings - recommended.

Smartwool Adult Hike Liner Crew Socks
Smartwool Adult Hike Liner Crew Socks
Price: £8.00 - £14.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sock liners, but wish they were cheaper., 27 Jan. 2013
I bought these sock liners in preparation for a trip to Finland, where an extra layer is really necessary for winter activities. They worked perfectly there, under a thicker pair of woollen socks. However, they are useful too for activities in the UK, particularly when trying to avoid blisters, such as when wearing in new boots. Wearing two socks per foot, whether two thin socks, or one thin one inside a thicker one, is a great way of reducing the risk of blisters. These ones have the added benefit of being warm too.

Recommended as liners inside other socks. Just wish they were cheaper.

963 - EDZ Merino Liner Gloves
963 - EDZ Merino Liner Gloves
Offered by EDZ Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good when used for their intended purpose, 27 Jan. 2013
I bought these gloves in preparation for a trip to Finland, where an extra layer is really necessary for winter activities such as husky sledding, and after-dark activities such as viewing the Northern Lights. However, they are useful too for activities in the UK - amongst other things I do forestry and land operations, in all weather conditions. Whilst I don't wear these under my chainsaw gloves, I do use them under the gauntlet-type gloves that I use the rest of the time. That includes whilst doing maintenance in the freezing cold workshop in winter, as I can dash between the workshop and the (not quite as cold) office, just pulling off my gauntlets, but with these liners still on then being able to type at a computer keyboard.

The thing that a couple of reviewers seem to have missed, is that these are liner gloves. Whilst they can be used on their own, in cold temperatures you really want another glove over the top.

I've taken one star off because of the "one size fits all" not being ideal. I find that they are a little loose and crinkle up along the back of the hand and around the base of the palm of my hand. Personally, I'd find it useful if they were a colour that is easier to spot in the poor light conditions where these are likely to be used - it doesn't have to be high-visibility orange, but something other than black would be good. Other than that, they are very good.

Recommended.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the scenarios where I use it, 27 Jan. 2013
I already had an older model of Petzl headtorch, but my needs have long been for something better than that old model. After a bit of research I bought this Tikka XP 2. I'm not disappointed!

This one is very light, and the headband is perfectly adequate without having a strap going over the top of your head. The illumination from this one is much brighter than my old model too, which is great. The choice of focused beam of expanded beam, together with a shuttered lens that can diffuse the light even more is great. On top of that, the ability to have the white light flashing, or to switch to a red light, is icing on the cake. The addition of a small whistle on the headband is useful too - gives an extra level of safety in more extreme conditions.

I bought this Tikka XP 2 for use in various scenarios:
(1) A trip to Finland, involving being out and about in the dark on unlit roads out of town
(2) Other future trips, probably involving camping, whether in the UK or the midst of Africa
(3) Walking on the roads and in the countryside around my village, where the roads are unlit and people often drive far too fast for the conditions. I prefer to walk the locality without the headtorch on so that I have more chance of encountering wildlife after dark, but with the option to turn it on quickly when I need it
(4) Cycling to the nearest garage
(5) Doing DIY, car maintenance and chores that require extra lighting
(6) Working in the garden after dark

For all of the scenarios in which I have used it so far, it has excelled.

There are various accessories available for using the Tikka XP 2 in other ways, including using lithium batteries to reduce the weight further, but I haven't tried those (yet).

Not cheap, but highly recommended (for people who can use headtorches without shining them in other people's eyes anyway).

Cold Feet: The Complete Second Series [DVD]
Cold Feet: The Complete Second Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Helen Baxendale
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as series one - excellent series that doesn't age, 26 Jan. 2013
"Cold Feet the complete series two" is, as expected, a seamless continuation from series one. If you haven't seen series one, go do that now. If you have, then you know what to expect, and series two is the continuation in the lives of the six main characters. It's just as good as series one.

The following is what I said in my review of series one. I'm being a little lazy here, but as series two is of equal quality and continuing the stories of the same characters, I just copy my series one review here. Needless to say, I highly recommend both series one and series two.

The back of the case for "Cold Feet the complete series one", says "Immersing us in the lives of three 30 something couples". When I first saw Cold Feet on TV, I had just hit my 30's. Watching it now, it's safe to say I'm no longer in my 30's. Both then, and now, this is a brilliant series. It's interesting though how my perception of it has changed. When I first watched it, it was just brilliant comedy. When I watch it now, it's perceptive and clever comedy drama. I thought it might have felt dated, but it didn't - I just responded to the writing differently. Definitely one of the best bits of TV from that decade.

The script is very clever. The characters and settings are perfect. The casting is absolutely spot-on. Whether it's the 6 main characters, or the supporting cast of work colleagues, neighbours, ex-partners, station staff, passers by etc, I cannot fault the casting or the acting.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20