Profile for J. S. Hardman > Reviews

Content by J. S. Hardman
Helpful Votes: 2036

J. S. Hardman "Consultant software developer (contractor)" (Near London, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Gary Oldman

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much on a par with the Alex Guinness version, 31 Mar. 2013
I rarely watch re-makes of classic films/series as they rarely live up to the originals. However, this one - "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" is actually pretty good. I miss the sound of Alex Guinness's voice, but otherwise this film is pretty much on a par with the Alec Guinness version. I'm very familiar with Le Carre's works, having read or listened to (on audio CD) many of them. As a result, I`m aware of the background stories to some of the characters. I'm also used to the pace of the stories. For people watching this film without that background, I'm not sure how well it would work. Certainly, this is not a film for those who like car chases and gun fights. This is a literary, thinkers film, but probably one for people au fait with Le Carre already.

Recommended for those already familiar with Le Carre, and George Smiley in particular.

Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps [DVD]
Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Douglas
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Incoherent, disjointed attempt at a sequel. Fails badly., 31 Mar. 2013
I enjoyed the original Wall Street film, so despite very mixed reviews thought I would give Wall Street Money Never Sleeps (a.k.a. Wall Street 2) a try. I wish I hadn't.

Whilst *some* of the financial stuff in the film did actually make sense, the attempt to string different financial bits together was very tenuous. In fact, the whole thing was so disjointed, that I wonder if the script was rewritten as filming continued as a result of things happening in the real markets. If that's the case, I'm assuming it was too expensive to re-shoot earlier bits to try to produce a coherent film. Whatever the writing and filming processes were, the result is a mess. It might have been better if what was going on at the time was completely ignored. Trying to explain the ins and outs of the multiple aspects of the financial crisis and the long history that led up to it, to laypeople is nigh on impossible, so trying to make a populist film sitting on top of those events will always be difficult.

In terms of the film itself, the majority of the script was poor, the continuity awful, the use of techniques and soundtrack that felt like they were "borrowed" from "9 to 5" really dated the film, a cameo from Charlie Sheen just felt like a desperate (awkward, painful) link back to the original film in the hope of giving this one some credibility, Shia Labeouf and Carey Mulligan were simply uninteresting, the whole thing was just awful. Even Michael Douglas seemed to struggle to make anything from the material and direction he was given. He had moments that were fine, but others that were painfully wooden.

So, as good as the original Wall Street was, Wall Street Money Never Sleeps is just awful. Remember the first film. Don't ruin that memory by watching this one. Avoid.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2013 11:07 PM BST

Create a Nights Sky - Science Museum
Create a Nights Sky - Science Museum
Offered by Taylors Toys

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazed the Science Museum put their name on this - very poor, 31 Mar. 2013
Although it's cheap (I paid more than it is shown as on Amazon today, but didn't pay the extortionate P&P being shown on Amazon today), as this is labelled as a Science Museum product, I had high expectations of it. Sadly, even if I hadn't had such expectations, I would still have been disappointed.

That it is little more than a single bulb, a switch mechanism, and a piece of cardboard that the purchaser has to punch holes in, wouldn't be a problem given the price. That the end result of punching those holes is still woefully poor is a problem. I followed the instructions to the letter, gave it a try and the result was hopeless. I went back and did more work on the holes which improved things marginally, but the result was still very poor.

I purchased this some time ago. As it was so poor I put it to one side as I don't like throwing things away that I have just bought. However, I'm having a tidy up today, and it is finally going in the bin, unused after those first attempts 1-2 years ago.

Very poor. Avoid.

Gore Universal Windstopper Thermal Balaclava Mask
Gore Universal Windstopper Thermal Balaclava Mask
Offered by Leisure Lakes Bikes

5.0 out of 5 stars Used in extreme conditions, and it still did the job., 29 Mar. 2013
Sold as "Bike Wear", I bought this Gore Universal Windstopper Thermal Balaclava Mask for use on a trip north of the Arctic Circle, to wear under either a trapper hat or a helmet depending on which activity I was doing at the time (anything from husky sledding, cross country skiing, snowmobiling or simply sitting in a snow-hole after dark waiting for the Northern Lights to appear). In temperatures well below zero, and during snow fall, the combination of this balaclava with hat or helmet worked perfectly. Even during hard work, having the balaclava was useful as it absorbed perspiration - at the end of the activity, the balaclava could be removed to prevent the outer headgear freezing as body temperature returned to normal. The balaclava also helped prevent irritation that would have resulted from the outer headgear getting sweaty.

Choir: Gareth Malone
Choir: Gareth Malone
by Gareth Malone

4.0 out of 5 stars Not overly exciting, but nice. Some background to the TV series., 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Choir: Gareth Malone (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Gareth Malone is one of those people who can inspire people to do things that they would never normally even attempt. Having watched most of his TV series, this book ("Choir" by Gareth Malone) is a nice addition that gives Gareth's view on some of the scenes from the series, with some extra information thrown in. It provides a little information about Gareth's personal life and his ambitions for the choirs he creates and works with. And it confirms the message that singing is both fun and useful therapy. The book reads easily, and chronologically works through the various Choir series, although at times the individual chapters then jump around a bit. As another reviewer mentioned - it has a feel of having been ghost written, but I don't know if it was.

To summarise - not hugely exciting, but nice.

The Negotiator in You: At Work (BBC Audio)
The Negotiator in You: At Work (BBC Audio)
by Joshua N. Weiss
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly presented, not much more than bullet points, 23 Mar. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"The Negotiator in You At Work" written and narrated by Dr Joshua N. Weiss, is one of those single CD audio books that you know is going to be pretty superficial. When the running time of the CD is only 30 minutes, it's obviously going to be very superficial. So, when I listened to this for the first time, my expectations were not high. On the amount of content, what the CD delivered was pretty much what I expected (although I have heard even worse on other similar titles), but what really struck me was how appalling the delivery was. Dr Joshua N. Weiss is not a natural narrator - the words just coming burbling out of his mouth at such a rate that the listener does not have time to take in what he said before he is onto the next subject. There is no pausing, no emphasis, just a stream of words. If you listen to this, you will either discard it after the first listen (or give up part way through), or you will listen to it multiple times to try to pick up each point that he is making. I listen to audio books whilst driving, and played this one three times in order to try to pick up everything that was said. Lesson for "AudioGo" the company behind this - listen to your narrators, and if they are unsuited to the task, get somebody else to do it.

In terms of content, there isn't much, but when the CD is only five pounds on Amazon, and Dr Weiss can probably rake in large consulting fees, he probably doesn't have much incentive to put much material on the CD. It's more a taster to try and get people's interest. I suspect that if I were to pick out any useful bits and list them as bullet points, there wouldn't be that many. Actually, what this CD feels like is exactly that - a presentation done with bullet points where a visiting consultant delivers his spiel to a small room of junior staff. In that situation where time can be taken to expand on each point, and people have time to think about what is said and interact with the person giving the presentation, it could be useful. But, delivered as badly as it is, this stream of words is not very good. Where it makes up for it though, is that there is a PDF workbook that can be downloaded (as far as I can see, you don't actually need to buy the CD to get the workbook). That PDF is basically the bullet points etc. It still isn't in any great depth, but at least it gives you something you can look at to remind yourself of things in future.

Audio CD not recommended. PDF download of some minor interest, but probably available without buying the CD.

Kariban Short Sleeve Baseball T Shirt Mens
Kariban Short Sleeve Baseball T Shirt Mens

5.0 out of 5 stars Flattering and comfortable, for general use and light-moderate exercise, 23 Mar. 2013
A few years back I worked for a company that was taken over. To keep the existing staff happy, the new owners handed out a goodie box to every member of staff. None of the items in it were expensive, but they were all good quality. One of them was a shirt with the new parent company's name stitched on the front. I don't normally wear anything with company names on - after all, why give them free publicity? But that shirt was (and still is) really flattering and really comfortable. Years later, it is still in really good condition, but as I get so much use out of it I thought I would try to find another. One look at the label inside, which identified the manufacturer as Kariban, a quick search on Amazon and voila - same shirt, no company name on the front. Result. I bought one in the same colours as my original (white body with black shoulders), and one in the same colour as my running shorts (grey and black). I am as happy with these new ones as with the original.

The label inside says 100% cotton. The cut is flattering. The colour combination (shoulders different colour to body) is flattering. The shirts are comfortable. For a cotton shirt, this is about as good as they get, so recommended for any use for which you would wear cotton. That includes light-moderate exercise. However, for heavy exercise where you will be sweating a lot, I would go for a wicking, man-made material, rather than cotton. But, with that one exception, I highly recommend these Kariban shirts.

The Day After [DVD] [1983]
The Day After [DVD] [1983]
Dvd ~ Jason Robards

4.0 out of 5 stars Traumatic viewing, but essential viewing, 23 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Day After [DVD] [1983] (DVD)
I've watched a number of films and TV series similar to "The Day After", varying from truly terrible productions to pretty good (for their time) productions with varying degrees of reality (or what I perceive to be reality). Of the ones that I have seen, "Threads" is probably the one that had most impact on me in terms of realism, but "The Day After" comes just behind that (in some aspects it is better, in others not as good). The inclusion of film from nuclear tests and missile tests certainly adds to the effect in "The Day After", but probably the most pit-of-your-stomach moments are the images of multiple missiles in flight. Definitely one of those images that if you ever saw it for real, you would think "oh ****, it's all over now".

"The Day After" was the cause of nightmares for a friend of mine when she first saw it many years ago and still has an effect years later. I can understand why. So, although not quite as harrowing as "Threads" (and probably not as harrowing as "The War Game" which I have yet to see as it is so expensive on Amazon), this is a film that will have an impact on anybody who watches it.

Recommended, as long as you are not the type to have nightmares.

G Data Total Protection 2013 3 user 1 year license (PC)
G Data Total Protection 2013 3 user 1 year license (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to install and use. Ideal for non-techie users., 9 Mar. 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wanted some anti-virus software to run on an old 32-bit PC that is running on a local area network that already provides good protection from the outside world. As such, the key for this particular machine was to have something simple to set up and something that was simple to maintain, whilst providing unobtrusive protection without slowing the machine down too much.

The box contains both a CD ROM and booklet with instructions in various languages. The instruction booklet is (thankfully) not full of small print, but straightforward and easy to follow. It reminded me to uninstall my old virus software from a different provider, and even suggested I might want to use any special clean-up program that the old provider's website might recommend. Loading the new software took a while, but on this old PC this was not unexpected. Once installed it was easy to load updates to both the software and the virus signatures.

The only thing that seems a little strange is that Windows Security Alerts appears to recognise that the G Data anti-virus software exists on my machine, but does not recognise that it is switched on. So it tells me that my virus protection is switched off, yet when clicking the box "Turn on now" it takes me to the new software which happily confirms that everything is fine and protected. There does not appear to be any impact on the ability of the software to function though, as this appears to work ok.

Overall, this software meets my needs for this particular PC.

John Pilger - The War You Don't See [2010] [DVD]
John Pilger - The War You Don't See [2010] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Julian Assange
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Should be compulsory viewing in secondary schools, 9 Mar. 2013
It has been clear for many years that the mainstream television channels broadcast a very limited amount of world news (for example, how often does the BBC show anything about Central or South America?). It has also been abundantly clear that the amount of investigative journalism on the mainstream channels has reduced and reduced over the years. Even something like the BBC's Panorama programme rarely shows anything as challenging as it did 25+ year ago (although it does seem to be recovering from the depths it had reached). With the advent of satellite television and 24 hour news, which largely means sitting on a loop that repeats every 15 or 20 minutes, the depth of news coverage on the traditional channels has got worse and worse. I find it telling that I regularly switch to Al Jazeera English to get more information, both in terms of world coverage and in terms of in-depth reporting.

The lack of knowledge amongst many of my friends, colleagues and acquaintances about what happens in the world, often in their name, worries me. Would our troops have died in Iraq and Afghanistan if people were more informed and more questioning? Would so many civilians have died? Would civil rights across the world have been destroyed to the point that rendition to a place of torture was allowed to happen? Would we allow people who should be on trial for war crimes to run governments?

I have recommended previous John Pilger titles to some of my friends and colleagues, and watching them has opened their eyes to things that they previously knew nothing of. Quite how news coverage has got to the state it is in is what John Pilger covers in "The War You Don't See". I wouldn't say this DVD is as informative, challenging or "in your face" as some of his previous titles, but even so, this is another John Pilger title that people should watch, if only to make them ask what else is out there.

For me, I only learnt one thing from this DVD - the use of white phosphorous by the USA (we criticised Israel for using it, but who knew about the USA using it?), but for many viewers I think the whole DVD could be an eye opener. I think this should be shown in secondary schools to make teenagers ask questions before their minds get too blinkered.

For more challenging viewing, I'd recommend anybody considering watching this to also watch "John Pilger - Documentaries That Changed The World ".

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20