Profile for J. S. Hardman > Reviews

Content by J. S. Hardman
Helpful Votes: 2034

J. S. Hardman "Consultant software developer (contractor)" (Near London, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Stanley FatMax 0-10-819 Pro Retractable Knife
Stanley FatMax 0-10-819 Pro Retractable Knife

4.0 out of 5 stars Good size, good weight, comfortable to use., 21 Jun. 2014
I could have done with this knife to get into the packaging! The packaging was seriously over the top, but the knife itself is very good. It’s a nice size, provides good grip, and the shape makes it comfortable to use. The way in which it opens up is a bit naff, and it sometimes takes a couple of attempts to close and tighten everything properly, but that’s not the end of world. Overall, very pleased – whilst it’s not perfect, it’s far more comfortable and, as a result, probably safer than my older, bog-standard, Stanley knife. It’s definitely chunky enough to be able to wear fairly thick gloves, even when extending and retracting the blade.

Smartwool Adult Hike Medium Crew Socks - Gray, Medium (5 - 7.5)
Smartwool Adult Hike Medium Crew Socks - Gray, Medium (5 - 7.5)

1.0 out of 5 stars Quality of latest purchase is very poor, 21 Jun. 2014
I’ve been wearing Smartwool socks for years, and purchase again as old ones finally wear out. My latest order was of two pairs of Trekking socks and two pairs of Hike socks. I’m sad to say that whilst quality has varied from order to order over the years, these latest ones (both Trekking and Hike) are really poor. Despite re-ordering the same size as previously, these feel very loose (no, my feet have not shrunk) and slide around underfoot – not something that I want inside my boots, nor even when wandering around indoors without boots on. The padding is also much thinner than previously, to the extent that they barely offer anything beyond a cheap pair of thin socks from M&S. As a result, I won’t be buying Smartwool socks online again – I will go to a shop and check them before contemplating any future purchases, and if the ones in the shop are like these, I will be buying a different make in future.

Very disappointing after years of being mostly impressed by Smartwool.

How to Do Everything Microsoft SharePoint 2013: Microsoft SharePoint 2013
How to Do Everything Microsoft SharePoint 2013: Microsoft SharePoint 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars A good and quick high level view of functionality, but no depth to help when things get tough., 21 Jun. 2014
This book provides only a very superficial look at Sharepoint, barely scratching at the surface of what is a very powerful tool when set up correctly. Did this book help my colleague with setting up Sharepoint reliably (without Corporate IT involvement)? Unfortunately not. Did it help with setting up sites and sub-sites reliably, including making changes to them to get them how we really wanted them? Nope (although this probably wasn’t helped by the underlying installation having issues). Did it even give useful information about setting up wikis, calendars etc, or advice on best practices? No. What it did do, is give an easy to read, very high-level, understanding of what Sharepoint can do, and give us (unfortunately false) confidence in how easy it would be.

So, if you are after a high-level , easy to read, view of what Sharepoint can do for you (if you really have to use it), then this book is absolutely fine. But having read the book, get your Corporate IT people (who probably work with deploying Sharepoint far more than you or I will ever do) to do the actual installation and support. Use this book to help identify and convey your requirements and get them to do the nitty gritty, painful stuff of getting it to work.

If, on the other hand, you are setting up Sharepoint yourself and hope to set up sites & sub-sites for your projects, this probably isn’t the book for you (and if you really just want a wiki and a team calendar, Sharepoint may not even be the tool for you, although Corporate IT might insist you use it). For our needs, we will probably end up with two Sharepoint systems, one that handles integration and reporting for Team Foundation Server (which it is really good at) and nothing else, and one managed by Corporate IT where we put our sub-sites for projects, wikis, calendars etc.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 11, 2015 8:02 PM BST

Energizer CR2032 Coin Lithium Battery
Energizer CR2032 Coin Lithium Battery
Offered by Top Brand Discounts 4 u

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, work well., 3 Jun. 2014
Good value, work well. Wish I’d bought them ages ago rather than put up with batteries from a different manufacturer that had been delivering less power. I use them in a range measuring device, for which these new ones work a treat.

OPSO® Apple MFi Certified Linker Sync and Charge Data Cable 30 Pin Dock Connector to USB Cable for iPhone 4S 4 3GS, iPad 2 3, iPod touch 2 3 4, iPod nano 6th and Previous Apple Models (4 Feet / 1.2 m)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, high quality., 1 Jun. 2014
I still use an old iPhone 3gs. Having changed car recently, I now have a car that supports Bluetooth calling. Whilst I very rarely make use of this, choosing instead to call people back after my journey is complete, there are rare occasions when I need to take an important call on the move. Because of that, I now keep the Bluetooth on my phone enabled. The downside of that is that my old iPhone burns up the battery life when Bluetooth is enabled. To cope with that, I wanted another iPhone cable to allow me to charge the iPhone whilst driving, hence buying this OPSO (Optimal Power Solutions) USB Cable. It seems to be good quality (my original Apple cable had pretty poor build quality, this IPSO one is better in that respect), the connectors fit securely to my iPhone 3gs at one end and the USB port on the car at the other end. It comes with a little Velcro strap to keep it tidy when not in use, but I don’t make use of that, instead leaving the cable plugged into the USB port in my car’s central console storage area.

It works, it seems to be high quality, and it’s cheap. Recommended.

iPad Air Case - Black Leather 360 Rotating Smart Cover for iPad Air 2013 (5th Generation), with screen protector
Offered by JAMMYLIZARD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money. Very useful., 1 Jun. 2014
With a Wi-fi only iPad Air, I rarely take my iPad out of the house. As a result, I just needed a case to give it some protection from accidental damage at home, particularly when we have visitors. This JammyLizard case does the trick perfectly. With the elasticated band that keeps it shut, it feels like an academic folder, which I actually quite like. The case allows the iPad to be swivelled without removing the case. The case itself can be opened folder-like, or can be folded back to create a stand for the iPad, which can be useful if watching videos - if I still commuted to work by train, I'd be making use of this feature to watch videos to pass the time. The stand option provides three different angles at which the iPad can be held, which is really useful. The range of colour options for the case is great too - I went for black, as it looks business-like, whilst also being the cheapest option.

[Update added 5th July 2014 - as my iPad Air has been getting more and more use, it is now being carried around with me in my overloaded laptop bag. The JammyLizard case is doing a grand job so far of protecting the iPad Air in what can be considered testing conditions.]

Recommended.

Selenium Testing Tools Cookbook
Selenium Testing Tools Cookbook
by Unmesh Gundecha

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but still very useful, and better than other Selenium books I have looked at., 10 May 2014
“Selenium Testing Tools Cookbook” by Unmesh Gundecha is one of those books that is worth reading twice. It’s worth reading before starting work with Selenium WebDriver, then reading again after doing some real-life WebDriver test automation. Hit the difficult bits to automate, work out your own solution, then on second reading of this book see if there are any bits that with hindsight you could use to improve your solution.

This book contains enough information to automate cross-browser and mobile-browser testing, although to do it well it does help to have a strong background in asynchronous systems, HTML and GUIs. There are a few errors in the book, but they are things that the reader should spot quickly enough to not waste much time on.

The book is written for people developing automation in a number of languages. I am currently working in C#, but it also covers Java, Python and Ruby. Subject matter includes the various methods of identifying controls, working with common controls, synchronisation, the Page Object Model, data-driven testing, performance testing, HTML5 and mobile browsers (most using emulators and devices). It covers use of some other tools for extending the use of WebDriver, and it also includes some reasonable examples of extensions. It’s a good range of material, written in a way that is easy for anybody with reasonable coding experience to follow and utilise.

Whilst it could have gone into a little more depth on best practices, particularly around synchronisation, this is a very useful book that I would recommend to anybody working with Selenium. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than the other Selenium-related books I have looked at.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, Frustration-Free Packaging (5Multi Device, 1 Year subscriptions) (PC/Mac/Android)

4.0 out of 5 stars Possibly better suited to less technical users, 8 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I had used a competitor’s internet security products for years, but after buying a new machine from a company that builds them to order and installs software as required, I found that my new machine had a piece of malware on it. The competitor’s product missed the malware. As I thought it would be useful for them to see this, I let one of their support people remotely logon to my nice new machine to try to resolve the problem. The guy was clearly out of his depth, and I had to disconnect him when he tried doing something REALLY stupid. At that point, I figured it was time to try a different security company. That’s how I ended up installing this Kaspersky product.

Installation of the Kaspersky product was easy, including getting the latest updates from the internet. It did a complete system scan, which highlighted another apparent piece of malware (although I suspect this may have been a false-positive). Comparing with the competitor’s product, I found the reporting in the competitor’s product stronger, and found that Kaspersky used more CPU time.

I’m going to keep Kaspersky running for a while to see how I find it over time. My initial reaction is that it is easy to install, but not so great on CPU usage or reporting. To that end, it might be better suited to less technical users, rather than advanced users who need to be able to fine tune behaviour and analyse issues.

New Plain Black Flat Peak Fitted Baseball Cap 7 3/4"
New Plain Black Flat Peak Fitted Baseball Cap 7 3/4"

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical cap for those who find one-size-fits-all caps do not fit., 5 April 2014
Having tried many one-size-fits-all baseball caps and found that none of them fitted, I ordered one of these caps using my specific head measurement. Perhaps not the most fashionable baseball cap around, but very practical. I use it to prevent sunburn whilst working outside, normally doing the “street” thing and wearing it backwards, using the brim to keep the sun off the top of my neck. It’s covered in mud and cement dust at this point, but works a treat.

For anybody curious about the circular thing shown in the picture on Amazon - it is just a size label that peels off.

Recommended for those who find one-size-fits-all caps do not fit.

Selenium Webdriver in C#.Net: Learn With Examples
Selenium Webdriver in C#.Net: Learn With Examples
by Mr Sagar Shivaji Salunke

3.0 out of 5 stars Short, full of language errors, but possibly useful to complete novices, 20 Mar. 2014
The English is terrible, there are typographical errors, there are grammatical errors, some of the statements are incorrect (although obviously so, so readers shouldn't be troubled by them too much). The example code contains commented out code, poor formatting, and demonstrates naivety about race conditions. Anything remotely complicated that the reader might find in real world test automation is ignored.

The book is just 69 pages long (including page zero - techies really do rule the world when there is a page zero). The 69 pages include the index, contents, preface etc. and even a quick guide to really basic C#. So, all in all, there's not a lot of content about Selenium.

Having said all that, it achieved what I needed. I have experience of multiple test automation products, as well as an even larger multiple of years development experience. What I was after from this book, was a very quick idea of what Selenium WebDriver is, so that I know which category of test automation tool it falls into (i.e. does it automate at browser level, or at HTTP/Soap level). I had one hour in my diary in which to find out what I needed to know in preparation for a meeting about tools. In that one hour, I read the entire book and got my answer (actually, I had my answer within a few pages).

I suspect all of the information in this book is available online, but it served its purpose for me. For less than nine pounds, and in less than one hour, I got the overview that I needed. If you have no previous experience of test automation and want a REALLY easy read (if you ignore the language errors), this might be briefly useful to you.

I do worry though, when somebody in the testing arena produces a book without using a spellchecker, a grammar checker, or presumably a proofreader...

[Since originally writing this review, I've done a fairly large chunk of Selenium WebDriver automation in C#, to test an HTML5/CSS3/JavaScript/SignalR application, with tests running on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari. Whilst this book got me going, the one that really helped was "Selenium Testing Tools Cookbook" by Unmesh Gundecha. If you're going to be doing serious test automation using WebDriver, that is a good book to go for. It assumes a certain level of development experience though, but without that any automated tests are likely to be unreliable...]

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20