Profile for J. S. Hardman > Reviews

Content by J. S. Hardman
Helpful Votes: 2034

J. S. Hardman "Consultant software developer (contractor)" (Near London, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Talk Lean - Shorter Meetings. Quicker Results. Better Relations.
Talk Lean - Shorter Meetings. Quicker Results. Better Relations.
by Alan Palmer

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit wordy, but contains good advice useful for transitioning to lean practices., 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read "Talk Lean - Shorter Meetings, Quicker Results, Better Relations" whilst working in an environment where we transitioned from waterfall to agile practices, using both Scrum and Kanban. Whilst making this switch, I read many books about lean, agile, scrum, kanban, etc., as well as doing courses. Some of the areas covered in Talk Lean were certainly things that caused problems in the waterfall-to-agile transition where I was working. Scrum, Kanban etc are great, but are dependent on positive relationships, transparency, trust, empathetic listening etc. I'd recommend reading Talk Lean alongside reading other books or doing courses about lean practices, empathetic listening etc. if you are making that same transition.

I resigned from that company after a couple of years to found a startup, where I am even more focused on lean practices, so that I can build and release a complex product before the development takes so long that the product is out-of-date before it is released. Lean is key to this. Mixing with people from the startup scene, it is clear that lean practices are vital in so many small businesses, and Talk Lean has been one part of the complete mindset change that a transition from corporate life to startup life entails.

Management: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
Management: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions)
by John Hendry

4.0 out of 5 stars Contains useful material that is worth trying, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read this as part of on-going research and trialing of different management practices, both as part of being a manager (I prefer "leader" to "manager", but companies will use the manager label) at the company I was working for when I read it, and as part of my own CPD. Having done a management course with the Open University, worked with waterfall & agile methods, and much more, this was one of very many management books I have read. Whilst not written in a style that makes it easy to read end to end, it does contain useful information and ideas, a number of which I tried out both in my working and in leading my team. Whilst not a fun read, it's worth making the effort, because some of the points covered proved to be really useful.

Good value. Recommended.

McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC)
McAfee Total Protection 2014 - 3 User - 1 Year (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but I returned to using a competitor product, 11 July 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I trialed McAfee Total Protection 2014, as well as another of the McAfee 2014 range, when the competitor product I had installed was expiring. I found McAfee used more CPU than the competitor product, so after trying McAfee I went back to using the competitor product again. McAfee gets good reviews, and it didn't cause any problems other than the slightly CPU hit.

McAfee Internet Security† 2014 (3 User, 1 Year) (PC)
McAfee Internet Security† 2014 (3 User, 1 Year) (PC)

Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I obtained McAfee Internet Security 2014 as a replacement for a competitor's product that was expiring. Whilst McAfee does get good reviews, I found this version used more CPU than the competitor product, so after trialing McAfee, I renewed (actually bought again as it was cheaper than renewing) the competitor product instead. Whilst I am less familiar with McAfee, so there could have been configuration options that may have improved things, but if so I did not find them.

Windows 8.1 Simplified
Windows 8.1 Simplified
by Paul McFedries

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick intro to Windows 8.1, useful for experienced Windows users as well as less experienced, 11 July 2016
This review is from: Windows 8.1 Simplified (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used "Microsoft Windows 8.1 Simplified" as a quick intro when I updated a machine to Windows 8.1 . As an experienced software developer, I wanted to find my way around Windows 8.1 quickly, find out the useful shortcuts, and find out what had changed since Windows 7, so that I could build Windows 8.1 compatible software quickly.

This book did the job I needed it to do.

15 x Plugmate Plug Removers (3 packs of 5)
15 x Plugmate Plug Removers (3 packs of 5)
Offered by CaraselleDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, not just for those with limited strength in their hands, 17 May 2016
Simple but effective. Ideal both for anybody who has limited strength in their hands, or simply for anybody who frequently has to plug and un-plug devices regularly or in awkward to reach places. I've bought two packs of these now - some I use in my office where I work with multiple mobile devices, constantly having to put different ones on charge, some we use around the home, and some I have given to elderly relatives and neighbours who struggle with plugs.

Recommended.

Medium Garden 60L Litre Galvanised Incinerator Fire Burning Bin Ideal for Burning Rubbish / Documents / Branches / Wood
Offered by S&MC Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical for small gardens. For larger gardens, it really depends on what you will be burning., 17 May 2016
We don't have anywhere suitable in our garden for a bonfire, so this medium sized incinerator is great for burning small stuff in a confined space (i.e. not near the LPG tanks).

For burning paperwork that would normally go in the household shredder, it's great and far more fun than sitting at a shredder.
For garden stuff, it's too small to be particularly practical for us. Plus, most of the garden stuff that isn't compostable either goes through a mulcher or goes into the wheelie bin for recycling. So it's a few twigs or dried up brambles, along with paperwork.

The incinerator stands on metal legs, so we use it on paving without causing any damage. The number of air holes is perfect for keeping air flowing through, and providing fascination as jets of flame shoot out in different directions.

Nimrod
Nimrod

5.0 out of 5 stars A great rendition of Nimrod, which we played at service for ex-navy relative, 16 May 2016
This review is from: Nimrod (MP3 Download)
When organising music for a cremation service for an ex-navy relative, we chose Nimrod as the music to play in the background as everybody came in to be seated. It's great music anyway, but perfect for this particular scenario. Many compliments afterwards about how good the music was.

Gardman A01158 Universal Squirrel Baffle with Hook
Gardman A01158 Universal Squirrel Baffle with Hook
Offered by 9to5 Supplies (VAT receipt supplied)

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% success so far on stopping furry critters, 16 May 2016
I now have three of these baffles, using them above hanging feeders to stop squirrels, rats and mice getting at the bird food. So far, these Gardman baffles have been 100% successful. From long experience, I have no doubt that the squirrels will eventually work out how to bypass them. I used to use a similar product years ago - the squirrels worked out that if they slid down the side, they could usually catch hold of globe shaped feeders as they fell, swing themselves up, and then munch happily). However, they haven't managed that yet with these Gardman baffles, so fingers crossed that the devious blighters don't read this review.

Gamsy Genuine Leather Up-Down Open Flip Case Pouch Cover Holder for Apple iPhone 4/4S, iPhone 5/5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, Samsung GALAXY S2, S3, S4, S5, Samsung GALAXY Note2, Note3 (Apple iPhone 5C, Red)
Offered by Ratan-Dhan

5.0 out of 5 stars Nasty colour, but good protection., 16 May 2016
I wanted a horrible gawdy colour, so that if I drop my phone whilst gardening, I'll be able to see it in the undergrowth. This definitely meets that need.

I've dropped my phone whilst in this case a few times, including knocking it off the upstairs banister, dropping about 15 feet before impact. Case and phone still intact.

Recommended.