Profile for W. A. Morgan > Reviews

Content by W. A. Morgan

W. A. Morgan (Salford, UK)

Letting Property : The Easyway (Easyway Guide)
Letting Property : The Easyway (Easyway Guide)
by Roger Sproston

2.0 out of 5 stars Not detailed enough, 15 Nov 2014
I found this book to be a bit disappointing - it did run through the main considerations in letting property, but rather briefly and theoretically, without much emphasis on how things should be done in practical terms. I found the section on tenancies and tenancy agreements to lack clarity. And I'm afraid it does need a bit of proofreading. I think an alternative title such as the Which? Renting and Letting guide would be of greater benefit to most people interested in letting property.

Sabichi 2-Piece Glass/ Stainless Steel Salt and Pepper Jar Set
Sabichi 2-Piece Glass/ Stainless Steel Salt and Pepper Jar Set
Offered by Frampton Retail

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to hold, 15 Nov 2014
Very useful item for my mother, who is a bit arthritic - the shakers are chunky and easy to grip, and fairly well made.

The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts
The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love That Lasts
by Gary Chapman

4.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book, 21 Nov 2011
I heard about this book from a relative. I bought it on their recommendation and because I am preparing for marriage, and I read and discussed it together with my fiancee. We both found it very sound in its advice and commentary, and it helped us to discuss our feelings and expectations about the way we relate to each other now and how we hope to relate to each other and communicate our love for one another in the future.

I think this book would be helpful for people who are married as well as those who are contemplating or preparing for marriage. It is not explicitly a "Christian" book, and could be read by most people, but is backgrounded in the Christian world-view which assumes, for example, that marriage is a life-long commitment that necessarily involves sacrifice. I think you should not regard Dr Chapman's ideas as a magic formula for successful marriage, and I think that not every marital difficulty can be analysed in terms of his Love Language formula - nevertheless it does help us to understand how we can communicate our love to a partner within a serious relationship in which we are seeking the best interests of the other person, and I would particularly recommend it as helpful discussion material to those who are dating, as part of the process of getting to know each other, or those who are engaged, as part of the process of preparing for lifelong commitment.

Talk Now Learn Tagalog: Essential Words and Phrases for Absolute Beginners (PC/Mac)

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed..., 21 Nov 2011
I was trying to find some material (whether books, audio CDs, DVDs etc.) to teach me beginner level Tagalog. Most of the material available did not seem very good, and I selected this DVD not expecting perfection but hoping it might prove useful to some extent. Unfortunately I was wrong.

It is basically like a digital version of one of those old-style phrase books that just lists a number of decontextualised words and phrases: I need a taxi... A first-class ticket please... a telephone... a passport... a bunch of bananas... Mexico...

I am a language teacher, so do tend to evaluate language-learning materials quite harshly sometimes, but I feel that apart from memorising a small number of random words, this could not help anyone to actually learn Tagalog to any communicative effect. Unfortunately, I have not yet come across any other alternative that could do better...

Valais, Switzerland: An Undiscovered Swiss Canton
Valais, Switzerland: An Undiscovered Swiss Canton
by Farrol Kahn

3.0 out of 5 stars A useful starting point, 2 Aug 2011
This book was a little different from the kind of "Lonely Planet" type guidebook I had been expecting. While clearly written by someone with a real knowledge of the area, and giving a useful overview of the region and some of its highlights, it did lack the kind of detail that I really wanted for the purposes of trip-planning. So, the maps were not detailed at all, and things like opening times of attractions, admission prices, and even how to get there were missing. There were also quite a few full-page advertisements by hotels, resorts, etc., which gave it the feel of something more like a promotional brochure in places.

Don't misunderstand me: the book does serve a useful purpose, especially as there is not much other English-language material covering the region. But it is more of a starting point, helping you to identify cities and rural areas of interest and some of their attractions, before looking at other websites, Google maps, etc. for more precise information. It has helped me to find out more about the town of Sion and plan a simple itinerary there. If you are content to do some additional research yourself before visiting Valais, I think this book is worth reading.

Guard Us, Guide Us: Divine Leading in Life's Decisions
Guard Us, Guide Us: Divine Leading in Life's Decisions
by J. I. Packer

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless advice, 30 Mar 2009
This is a carefully written and thought-provoking text on the topic. It does not espouse any modern-day fad or method, but concentrates on knowing God's guidance through biblical principles that are as applicable now as they would be at any other time in history. I found it very helpful in dealing with decisions I am making at this time. The only very slight negative (for some people) might be that it is written in a literary style that is not light, and requires concentration if you are to fully process the meaning. Nevertheless, an authoritative and compelling book which I would recommend to anyone interested in this important subject.

Ukraine (Bradt Travel Guides)
Ukraine (Bradt Travel Guides)
by Andrew Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacking Some Detail in Key Areas, 1 Mar 2009
Although I have not read the book from cover to cover, my general impression is that there is very good background information on the country, culture and customs, and some city information was quite helpful (places to stay and eat, for example).

However the guide is a little disappointing in some areas that are important to me. Some parts of the city descriptions are rather dense and difficult to navigate. Transportation sections in particular lack precise details of times or frequencies of trains and buses (information which is given in most books by competitor publishers), making it difficult to plan my itinerary in advance. And apart from Kiev, there is not much information on entertainment and nightlife in any of the cities. Information in the section on the Carpathian mountains seems to be for serious hikers who want an expedition of several days, but there is not much to help someone who would just like to make a more modest half-day hike.

Of course, there is no perfect guidebook... This book would be best suited to independent travellers who want to have some background understanding of the country before they visit, and who want a general guide to historical and architectural sights in the cities, but are prepared to do a fair bit of research on the ground on matters such as transportation.

Presenting in English: How to Give Successful Presentations
Presenting in English: How to Give Successful Presentations
by Mark Powell

2.0 out of 5 stars An unimaginative approach to the subject of presentations, 9 Sep 2007
Firstly, I should say I bought this book as a resource for teaching undergraduate, non-native speakers how to give an academic presentation in English - slightly different from the book's intended purpose.

Having said that, I was, frankly, disappointed to find that the book was mainly just a series of gapfill exercises - students just look at a list of words and then write the correct one in the gaps in a series of sentences. They can listen to the correct answers on a cassette (available separately). There were a couple of other exercise types, but overall I felt the book lacked imagination, merely providing the kind of worksheet that most teachers routinely create themselves anyway. The design was also unimaginative - there was little use of pictures or colour, for example, to make the pages appear attractive.

So much more could be done to improve this material, in terms of layout, appearance, more imaginative exercises, use of authentic listening texts, the use of listening PRIOR TO gapfill, inclusion of less-controlled activities for student practice, recycling of vocabulary... the list just goes on and on.

The only reason I did not give the book one star was that it does include some relevant language which could benefit students if taught and practised appropriately. It also addresses an area (giving presentations in English) in which there is a real dearth of carefully thought-out and well-produced material. The bottom line - at most I would use this book to supplement other teaching material, but I would say that if you had the book, you would only be slightly better off than if you did not.

GSP Greeting Card Maker (PC)
GSP Greeting Card Maker (PC)
Offered by SC-WHOLESALE

1.0 out of 5 stars Something fishy...., 10 Feb 2007
On receiving and installing it, I was extremely disappointed. Installation is problematic. The product is not easy to use, and there is no manual or tutorial to help you get started. What instructions there are in the help menu are often incorrect (for example, telling you to select a menu item that does not exist). The image library feature does not work. The bonus CD supposedly contains 20,000 clipart images, but I can find only 100. In fact, I can't really think of any reason to recommend this product, and I will be throwing mine straight into the bin.