Profile for Iorek > Reviews

The Humans
The Humans
Price: 2.69

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, 21 May 2014
This review is from: The Humans (Kindle Edition)
The premise of the book is interesting it just wasn't very well executed. It was hard to believe the difference between the things the alien needed to explain in detail and things that he assumed his alien audience would understand.

Flowers For Algernon (S.F. Masterworks)
Flowers For Algernon (S.F. Masterworks)
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it!, 15 Mar 2014
Brilliant and original book, I didn't expect to love it, but I really did. Excellent story - you won't have read similar.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
Price: 2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great narrator, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
Loved the narration from death, a really great read, but wasn't 100% keen on the ending, which I won't go into in case it spoils it for anyone.

Cuddly Dudley
Cuddly Dudley
by Jez Alborough
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars A favourite in my family, 11 Feb 2014
This review is from: Cuddly Dudley (Paperback)
This is a favourite book of my nieces and nephews and I have bought it several times as gifts now. A great book for story time before bed.

Ouch!: What you don't know about money and why it matters (more than you think)
Ouch!: What you don't know about money and why it matters (more than you think)
Price: 4.91

1.0 out of 5 stars Patronising and unoriginal, 14 May 2013
There is nothing to recommend this book. It is badly written, littered with quotes as if the author has no original thought himself and worst of all ridiculously patronising. Considering the target audience of this book is adults do we really need cartooon examples to explain economic concepts? It's like the telly-tubbies explaining economics. There is no actual useful practical advise in this book which should have been obvious really given the beginning of the book is an admission that the author knows nothing on the subject. That is supposed to make the reader trust him apparently.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2013 7:05 AM BST

Robin Ince's Bad Book Club
Robin Ince's Bad Book Club
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and entertaining, 8 Nov 2012
I really enjoyed this book, I found myself giggling as he described the bizarre books he has read and come across in charity shops. I love books, I love comedy - so this was the perfect book for me. I immediately bought a copy as a gift for a friend, as it was too good not to share.

The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques
The Encyclopedia of Crochet Techniques
by Jan Eaton

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners!, 9 Feb 2010
All the other reviews seemed to be very sure that this was a good book for beginners. I have crocheted before, but it was many years ago and I pretty much needed to start from the beginning. I found this very difficult to follow, I think if I had decided to work my way through the book i may have been fine, but there is a particular pattern I wanted to do (not a particularly hard one) and as an 'encyclopedia' i would have expected that to have been straight forward, but it isn't designed to work like that. I ended up Googling the pattern and finding much clearer instructions.

Micromark Desktop Coffee Maker 52122
Micromark Desktop Coffee Maker 52122

1.0 out of 5 stars Tiny!, 11 Jan 2010
I had no idea this would be so small, maybe i should have looked at the specs closer, but it makes about a shot of coffee. It was a gift and has never been used.

President USA Barack Obama Rubber Mask
President USA Barack Obama Rubber Mask
Offered by Escapade-Fancy-Dress
Price: 18.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great mask, 11 Jan 2010
This came in less than 24 hours, amazing. It looked the best quality of all the Obama masks available, and had people laughing all evening. As with all masks, it is very hot and sweaty to wear for long, and as a woman, it was too big, but it definitely was worth it.

What Rhymes with Bastard?
What Rhymes with Bastard?
by Linda Robertson
Price: 8.87

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Jun 2008
I also read an extract of this in a Sunday paper, which i enjoyed and so bought the book. The extract (the first couple of pages of the book) was the best bit, afterwhich this was a bitter disappointment.

The book followed no logical story pattern, dipping in and out of events in a chaotic fashion. I really disliked the style and was not keen on the random poems and songs littered throughout the book, (a personal thing, which i understand not everyone will dislike).

Most women have some idea of what it is like to be with someone completely unsuitable, and I had hoped this may be an empowering book that may suggest staying with a loser is not the best course of action, instead you had not one ounce of sympathy for the main character because she was almost equally as much a loser as her husband.

Page: 1 | 2