Profile for Lyn > Reviews

Content by Lyn

Lyn (SHEFFIELD, United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
This Many Boyfriends
This Many Boyfriends

5.0 out of 5 stars Old school Indie pop, 11 Nov. 2012
This review is from: This Many Boyfriends (Audio CD)
I love this album- so does my 6 year old daughter. We love the bouncing songs, thoughtful, funny lyrics, and great sense of fun and enjoyment. As a Morrissey fan, I particularly love tracks like I Should be A Communist, with its talk of decadence and sartorial issues. A lovely Leeds band- check out the Communist video too- it's a homemade Youtube classic

Rivers of London: 1
Rivers of London: 1
by Ben Aaronovitch

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 22 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Rivers of London: 1 (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this- really original, witty, easy to read. The plot was a bit daft but it carried me along and I liked the way that although it had moments of utter silliness, there were some interesting comments about attitudes to race/skin colour from the mixed race narrator, as well as some historical musings which I liked. One reviewer said it seemed like an A-Z of London but I really liked the attention to detail. Look forward to another Ben Aaronovitch novel for sure. Would suit fans of Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Nicola Barker maybe?

Years of Refusal
Years of Refusal

5.0 out of 5 stars Years of brilliance, 4 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Years of Refusal (Audio CD)
Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love Morrissey and this album contains many moments of brilliance-such as the black humour of Carol and the cheery singalong I'm Throwing My Arms around Paris (With a Boz Boorer clarinet solo and a super cool video). And who can resist the gangleader with a babe in arms? Class.

Bring Me the Head of Ryan Giggs
Bring Me the Head of Ryan Giggs
by Rodge Glass

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, funny and original, 4 Aug. 2012
This book is set in the period of MU's history that I most identify with- early 90s- the arrival of Becks and Giggs- the first few years of Alex Ferguson. Mike Wilson (Wilson is Gigg's real surname by the way) is a player who lives in Giggs' shadow and has a disastrous footballing career. There is a love-hate relationship with football, but it is also about families, addiction, making your way in the world when the only thing you have ever wanted to do appears to have been taken away from you. I would say it's not for people that aren't interested in football, and specifically Man U- if it had been about Arsenal, for example, I personally wouldn't have bothered. I sometimes found the different narrative voices a bit confusing but it does add layers of complexity to the character. One review here says there is too much 'foul' language but I actually think the language is very typical of passionate supporters and it would be bizarre if they all said 'oh dear' when goals are missed. This is no Trainspotting. An intelligent and original book.

Justified - Season 1 [DVD]
Justified - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Timothy Olyphant

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE Justified, 21 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Justified - Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I had already seen this season when it was on tv and am now watching Season3 but I decided to re-watch Season 1 as I enjoyed it so much. Everything about this show is excellent- Raylan, Boyd, Eva, Winona, Devil, Vic, Arlo- they are all such memorable characters, brilliantly acted, in an edgy, dangerous Kentucky setting. Tmothy Olyphant is super cool as the troubled US Marshall who is torn between his family ties and his sense of right and wrong, with his finger always on the trigger. If you like Breaking Bad, The Sopranoes or The Wire, then you need to watch this.

Deadfall Hotel
Deadfall Hotel
by Steve Rasnic Tem

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange book, 18 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Deadfall Hotel (Paperback)
I bought this on the back of a gushing review in The Guardian but I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. There was some fantastic stuff- very original and creepy sequences- but somehow the book as a whole didn't quite add up. I think I wanted to know more about the hotel- it was like a set of interlinked short stories, rather than a novel. I would read something else by Steve Rasnic Tem, however, as he is obviously very talented.

The Sisters Brothers
The Sisters Brothers
by Patrick deWitt

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 April 2012
This review is from: The Sisters Brothers (Paperback)
I loved this book right from the start- the story was a bit creaky but the character of Eli Sisters was such an original and interesting narrator. I loved the language and the witty, poignant observations. The world of the western just got itself a new voice.

Outside Inside
Outside Inside

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 29 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Outside Inside (Kindle Edition)
This is a really entertaining and original novel that looks at the British counter culture communities in an insightful and sympathetic way- it is also funny and dramatic. It may well take you places that other novels cannot reach!

Transformers Dark of the Moon Mechtech Voyager Optimus Prime
Transformers Dark of the Moon Mechtech Voyager Optimus Prime
Offered by Brian Games

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, 18 Dec. 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Well, I bought this as a bit of a joke present for my husband after we saw the film (which was also pretty pointless, but fun in a harmless and silly way), and it had almost no entertainment value due to being impossibly complicated. It is now gathering dust somewhere between robot and truck and even our kids can't be bothered with it. And we 'only' paid £26 for it- the current price is outrageous.

The Man Who Wanted To Smell Books: Selected Short Stories (Canongate Classics)
The Man Who Wanted To Smell Books: Selected Short Stories (Canongate Classics)
by Elspeth Davie

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 18 Dec. 2011
Elspeth Davie is not well known, but I heard some of her stories on Radio 4 Extra and was fascinated. She has an eye for the unusual and an elegant, poetic writing style. Often quite gothic in style, lightly humorous, dry, original- a really classic collection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3