Profile for John Holman > Reviews

John Holman (Hertfordshire)

Light Music for Dying People
Light Music for Dying People

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for Adam Duritz completists ..., 19 April 2014
In some respects it's a pity that the only people likely to happen upon this superb album are Adam Duritz/Counting Crows completists.
It's difficult to know where to begin. I could compare Sordid Humor with some of the more obscure 80s indie bands from the UK - Sad Lovers & Giants, maybe. Or Snakecorps. But Light Music for Dying People has plenty of its its own beauty and poignancy and illustrates wonderfully the depth of the Bay Area underground music scene at the time when Counting Crows were struggling to make their mark.
Adam Duritz wrote lyrics for, and performed with, other local bands besides Counting Crows. The Himalayans' album is not presently available, so that ship may have sailed. But he contributed lyrics to Sordid Humor too, as well as singing backing vocals. There's even a video of 'Barbarossa' somewhere.
There's plenty here for completists as well, naturally. If you've ever wondered where some of those lyrics came from that Duritz inserts into the live performances of Counting Crows songs, then listen, particularly, to 'Doris Day' and the breathtaking 'Private Archipelago'.

Protest Songs
Protest Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars How in the world did I miss this one??, 30 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Protest Songs (Audio CD)
Ye gods. I consider myself a record collector, but here I sit, thoroughly ashamed of myself, because I missed this one ...
I loved 'Steve McQueen' and 'From Langley Park to Memphis' to pieces. I played the vinyl until I wore it out. But I totally missed this one going by. 'Protest Songs' fits absolutely perfectly after 'Steve McQueen', but, despite being recorded in 1985, it was not released until 1989. They must have had their reasons.
I don't find it difficult to transport myself back to 1985. It was a highly significant year in my life for all kinds of reasons. And this sounds to me like the album that's always been missing from my record collection.
Five stars. Five stars. I love it!

Yabbyou Vintage Solid Oak Large Wall Mirror 120cm by 64cm Bevelled Glass
Yabbyou Vintage Solid Oak Large Wall Mirror 120cm by 64cm Bevelled Glass
Offered by Yabbyou

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth tracking this one down ..., 6 July 2012
This turned out to be an excellent purchase. We checked out several web sites before settling on Yabbyou, well aware that you can't always tell from the pictures whether an item is good or bad. But we needn't have worried; it looks absolutely beautiful on the wall above the sideboard, and even survived our builder's efforts to mount it.

The suppliers were helpful and answered our minor query promptly, and we have no hesitation in giving the product five stars and recommending the company to anybody who may be uncertain.

A Kiss Before You Go
A Kiss Before You Go

5.0 out of 5 stars Bury yourself in it. It's well worth it ..., 15 Jun. 2012
Absolutely amazing, stunning, breathtaking album. This is enormous - play it all the way through, and play it LOUD!

Saw these girls on BBC's breakfast show some weeks ago, but that appearance didn't even begin to scratch the surface of how impressive this album is. If I can hazard a guess, it would be that every one of these extraordinarily talented multi-instumentalists has access to a record collection that contains some big, expansive and very very varied albums. I have one of those too, and A Kiss Before You Go makes me glad I never stopped buying music.

I can hear all kinds of stuff in here - maybe they're influences, maybe not - but the girls have learned their craft well, and I can't recommend this album highly enough. Until today, I thought the Foo Fighters were my favourite band ...

It'll make the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. Bury yourself in it. It's well worth it.

Private Lightning
Private Lightning

4.0 out of 5 stars But I'm still giving it four stars ..., 7 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Private Lightning (Audio CD)
The so-called 'remastering' is, frankly, rubbish. The first eight tracks sound as though they've been ripped from vinyl and converted to mp3 on someone's laptop. And I've already done that.

I'm still giving it four stars, though. Because I loved the original album, because this brand of power-pop was always absolutely up my street, because of some wonderful memories, some great guitar riffs and some unforgettable lyrics.

But it should have been better.

Monsters n Mirages (8xCD Box)
Monsters n Mirages (8xCD Box)

5.0 out of 5 stars Redemption is at hand ..., 2 Dec. 2011
Well, first, you should read Robert Dean Lurie's appreciation, on these pages, of the depth and breadth of Steve Kilbey's songwriting talent. When you have the whole of human history at your disposal, and aren't afraid to access it and communicate it, there are bound to be people down here on planet Earthed who can appreciate the richness of your oracular utterances.

Sometimes it seems as though there aren't very many of us. Over in the UK, wife Gill and I were introduced to The Church by Steve Burgess (he of Dark Star magazine and that matchless Zenmaster article about Gene Clark). Steve B really got Steve K, and was in a position to be evangelical about him.

And we collected his work, both solo and with the Church - the band Steve Kilbey put together to get his message across. And suddenly it seemed that he was aiming it all at us. About the time The Slow Crack came out, we started to write a book. We wrote to Steve asking for permission to quote his lyrics; permission which he graciously granted.

And then the 90s happened. I went through a period of no money and bad karma. Steve B didn't make it - he died of a heart attack in 1993. Steve K lost his way and things just weren't the same any more. The book never got written.

As time went by, three members of our family were hospitalised. Steve K contributed to the mending process by writing, at the request of our recovered daughter, to our very sick son.

Fortunately, this year, some sort of personal redemption was at hand. I bought Monsters n Mirages for Gill for her birthday, replacing a lot of ageing vinyl, and a draft of the book is finally completed. It feels as though the wheel might just be turning full circle.

So, for all these reasons, and because Monsters n Mirages is probably more than we deserve, five stars from me too.