Profile for Mike G > Reviews

Content by Mike G

Mike G

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black (will only fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard Case, 20 Nov 2013
Stiffer and heavier than my previous standard Kindle case, it looks and feels like it would survive a bullet. Good quality, and will no doubt protect the device very well.

Price: 109.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent clarity, 20 Nov 2013
Highly recommended. I chose to upgrade to the Paperwhite having left my old standard and much loved Kindle on an aeroplane. Re-downloading my books was far more painless than I dared to hope, and they are all now restored on my Paperwhite, after I feared they were gone forever. I waited until the new version was released (earlier than planned), and I am very pleased indeed with the device.

My only comment (not really a criticism), is that it does not last the advertised 8 weeks between charges - well, at least mine doesn't. It's more like 4.

All in all however, I'm very happy.

Philips Shaver Series 5000 with TripleTrack Blades and Pop-up Trimmer PT920/19
Philips Shaver Series 5000 with TripleTrack Blades and Pop-up Trimmer PT920/19
Price: 101.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Shaver, 29 Aug 2013
Does what it says, and at a much better price than the high street. Nice close shave, and decent trimmer. Not quite so well built as my earlier model Philips (does not feel so heavy), but so far I am happy. Do the research and save money, as this was half the High Street price.

The Grudge: Scotland vs. England, 1990
The Grudge: Scotland vs. England, 1990
Price: 6.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Sports Book, 26 Aug 2013
I remember this game well, and the intense build up to it. As a Welshman, the atmosphere was always special when England came to town, but although the Scots always had a similar desire to beat them, I hadn't grasped the deeper significance of the game, coming at a time when the Thatcher Government of the day, was in their last throes.

The scene setting behind all of this is terrific, and Tom English paints a picture of a somewhat overconfident England team preparing for the final shoot out for the Grand Slam. They were seen as "Thatcher's Team" by many north of the border (in fairness, not by the England team), and the political backdrop is painted vividly by the author, and is very fairly counterbalanced by the views of some of the players. The comments and interviews are extremely revealing, and both sets of players are to be applauded for their honesty, and in some cases, courage, in having to face the music in the aftermath.

Players from both sides reveal much about their own personalities, and I defy anyone not to change their views on Will Carling after reading this book! The Scot's training sessions under the legendary Jim Telfer are brutal, simply reading about them, but some of the comments and asides from the players are highly entertaining.

This is the very best Rugby book I have read, and quite possibly the best I have read on any sport. Whether you are a rugby fan or not, this would be a valuable addition to your collection, as it reveals so much more than the game itself.

When The Legend Became Fact - The True Life of John Wayne
When The Legend Became Fact - The True Life of John Wayne
Price: 4.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite, 29 July 2013
I'm a big John Wayne movie fan, and I bought this with a keen sense of anticipation, not having read any biographies of him. I was however, a little disappointed with the pace of the story. O.K., I've heard the tales of Wayne's character in real life, being at odds with that often portrayed in his films, but I felt that a large portion of this book was a catalogue of his films. I did enjoy some of the nuggets regarding his chauvinistic treatment of his wives, which were jaw dropping, in terms of how we have moved on (well, mostly!),compared to his treatment of his wives.
It certainly explains his penchant for Latin partners, who were generally more subservient, although he certainly met his match with one or two. He wasn't too fussy about their age either.
I also enjoyed the parts about his sensitivity over not joining WW2, and how certain directors never let him forget it.

I tried hard to like this book more, but I finished it, feeling that I knew little more about the man than I already did.

A Lot of Hard Yakka: Triumph and Torment - A County Cricketer's Life
A Lot of Hard Yakka: Triumph and Torment - A County Cricketer's Life
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written and good fun, 29 July 2013
I bought this years ago in paperback, and decided to buy it again via Kindle. I enjoyed it every bit as much as before. Simon Hughes is a very talented writer, and this book carries plenty of anecdotes and observations about cricketers of his generation. Some of his tales regarding his Middlesex team mates are laugh-out-loud funny. All in all, a good buy, and recommended.