Profile for L. Hardt > Reviews

by Tilly Walnes
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Be your own British sewing bee!, 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely how-to book for making simple and beautiful clothes from scratch for yourself and comes with all the patterns that are needed in a handy pouch at the back of the book.

I particularly like the blouse pattern as it's straight forward and attractive. The book doesn't just help you learn how to craft clothing from scratch, it also demonstrates the myriad ways one pattern can be adapted.

Though I would have liked a pattern for a dress that is a bit more loose and less structured and body-hugging like those in the book are, there are plenty of patterns to suit many tastes and with the advice for adapting the patterns, it I encourages the DIY dressmaker to become independent and competent.

Fresh Prints: 25 Easy and Enticing Printing Projects to Make at Home (Simple Makes)
by Christine Leech
Price: 11.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Ideas - but you will also need fresh materials, 1 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This easy to follow book is full of great ideas that use many simple printing skills that you might be familiar with from your school days. My favourite ideas in this book are those that can be created from either found objects such as leaves and feathers, to a good old potato that you carve into your desired shape.

There is a clear and easy to follow list of useful materials - some of which are easy enough to find in the home already, though some of them will require you to go out and purchase them especially. There are quite a few things that are suggested for you to buy, but if you are short of space and inventive, I think you can find short cuts and alternatives that will enable you to create similarly inspiring prints without forking out for the extra materials. Though it appears that investment in specialist printing inks is required (however, two projects use either household emulsion or bleach).

This is a book full of lovely ideas, but don't expect it to be all you need to get printing in your own home; it is an instructional stepping stone to amassing particular printing materials and techniques that you can develop with eperience over time.

Revolutionary Iran
Revolutionary Iran
by Axworthy Michael

4.0 out of 5 stars Readable History Book, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Revolutionary Iran (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Axworthy has a highly readable style, which makes this book about modern Iran a pleasure to read. As other reviewers have noted, it's difficult to keep track of names and people, but this is due to my complete ignorance of the subject when I started reading it.

I chose the book due to the recent focus on Iran's nuclear program, and a module in middle-eastern politics that I studied as part of my degree has always kept me interested in that area of the world. I also wanted to get a sense of the revolution from a more objective and academic angle, as I had recently watched Persepolis and was interested in the portrayal of the revolution in that film.

Well worth reading, if you're at all interested in the recent history of Iran

Fisher-Price Rainforest Portable Baby Swing
Fisher-Price Rainforest Portable Baby Swing
Price: 69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact and handy, 26 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this for a friend as a present, and she has absolutely loved it! She says it's a very convenient cradle that keeps a baby entertained when you need to be hands free for a bit! It plays music and animal noises, and swings at various speeds from calm to vigorous. It was easy to assemble, and the only major issue with it is the fact that batteries aren't included! It's also annoying that it needs batteries at all in this day and age, and can't (like most modern devices) be charged by plugging it in to the mains.

Tacwise Z1-140 Staple Gun. Staple Gun Tacker
Tacwise Z1-140 Staple Gun. Staple Gun Tacker
Price: 12.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Staple Fun, 16 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pretty solid product that takes standard sized staples. It is well built, with the exception of the lock button, which on my model is loose and doesn't work. This is a small niggle for me, as the rest of the staple gun is great.

Medela Calma with 150 ml Bottle
Medela Calma with 150 ml Bottle
Price: 15.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Breast is Best, but Bottle is Good., 9 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great bottle: a well designed teat that is just like a nipple (at least, the little milk-lover himself doesn't seem to notice!). We are able to swap between the bottle and the breast easily, without confusion. The item is easy to clean and sterilise and is very shapely.

Medela Pre-Sterilised Pump & Save Breastmilk Bags
Medela Pre-Sterilised Pump & Save Breastmilk Bags
Price: 8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and Useful, 9 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are fantastic! They don't split if filled correctly, and they can go directly into the freezer for storing milk. I have had literally no complaints about them whatsoever.

The Silence of Animals: On Progress and Other Modern Myths
The Silence of Animals: On Progress and Other Modern Myths
by John Gray
Price: 15.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, but a little jaded?, 3 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
John Gray writes beautifully and I like his method: he chooses interesting bits of literature and analyses them with reference to what they tell us about human nature and debating whether 'progress' is possible. Whilst I enjoyed the book and engaged with the ideas, I must admit that I didn't agree with the conclusions - mainly because I like to keep an optimisitic view on people and society, and Gray doesn't seem to share my hopeful nature.

SoundMAGIC ES20 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones - Red
SoundMAGIC ES20 In-Ear Sound Isolating Earphones - Red
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players
Price: 24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Fit Yet, 25 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These earphones are great: they fit neatly in the ear and never drop out. I always worry about sound leaking from my earphones when I travel on public transport, and these buds don't leak much at all! They also isolate the sound nicely so that background noise is completely drowned out.

In terms of sound quality, they are pretty clear across the range. The bass is punchy enough and the highs are well-defined. Certainly for the price, these perform excellently across the genres that I listen to.

They feel well built - the heads seem solid and the cable has support both at the head ends and the mini-jack end. The cable is a nice bright red colour, and slightly textured.

All in all, a neat little package.

RHS Botany for Gardeners: The Art and Science of Gardening Explained & Explored
RHS Botany for Gardeners: The Art and Science of Gardening Explained & Explored
by Geoff Hodge
Price: 13.04

5.0 out of 5 stars A Thing of Beauty, 13 Jan 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This beautiful book says it is 'for gardeners', but I am not a gardener - well not yet anyway, though I do plan to start gardening in my new garden once the house is in better shape. Despite not being a gardener, I still find this book very interesting. It is beautiful for a start, and if you like beautiful books just for the beauty of them, then this book fits the bill with its botanical illustrations, hardback, and high-quality paper.

As for the content, I may not be a gardener, but I can see how this is useful for gardeners. I find it useful as a budding gardener as I think it is useful to know what you are dealing with. As I spend the next year watching my garden and how it changes through the year, I will be able to use the information about the plants that interest me to see if they might be right in the our garden or, even more specifically, where they might or might not flourish.

Therefore, I recommend this book for lovers of gardening and lovers of beautiful books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8