Profile for killerrubberduckqueen > Reviews

Girl, Interrupted
Girl, Interrupted
by Susanna Kaysen

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but nothing like the film, 12 Jun 2005
This review is from: Girl, Interrupted (Paperback)
I bought the book after having seen the film, and, being a massive fan of James Mangold's motion picture, I was hoping that the book would be similar to the film - it's not. It's actually completely different.
I found the book to be very disjointed, with no strict plot. That is by no means a bad thing - it made it seem more like a diary - hurried, scribbled notes that don't necessarily tie in with what was said previously. I also found the book rather short - I read it in a day, enjoyed it, but wished there was more. However, one thing the book has which the film doesn't is Susanna visting Lisa after she, too, has left the mental institution. I thoroughly enjoyed reading that part - it's sweet, tender and would have been fantastic on screen. Another interesting thing the book boasts is actual pages copied from Susanna Kaysen's patient files - these are very interesting to read and really add to the book, I feel.
Overall, Girl, Interrupted is a good read. If you haven't seen the film, you'll probably enjoy it more than those who have. You'll be disappointed if you're expecting the book to be anything like the film, and if you enjoy books with a good, solid plot, then this is not for you. I almost gave this 4 stars but the length of the book caused me to give it a rating of 3.

Girl, Interrupted [DVD] [2000]
Girl, Interrupted [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Winona Ryder
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just a 'female Cuckoo's Nest', 12 Jun 2005
Ignore the critics - it's way too easy just to call Girl, Interrupted a 'Cuckoo's Nest with women'. The story and the atmosphere are both completely different.
Girl, Interrupted is based on a true story about one young woman's stay inside a psychiatric hospital. Eighteen-year-old Susanna Kaysen is questionably diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and spends nearly two years on the ward for teenage girls - where she chooses to befriend her fellow inmates, a group of troubled young women.
If you think all movies set in mental institutions are depressing, think again - Girl, Interrupted is often amusing and uplifting, as well as dark and haunting. It has a brilliant cast - Winona Ryder, Angelina Jolie, Whoopi Goldberg, Brittany Murphy, Vanessa Redgrave and Jared Leto, to name but a few, are all outstanding in this compelling drama. Ryder's portrayal of Susanna Kaysen has been called 'weak' by the critics, which is ridiculous. Her performance isn't exactly powerful, but it's one of her best performances to date. Admittedly, though, Jolie outshines Ryder in this movie - she deservedly won an Oscar for her portrayal of fiesty sociopath Lisa Rowe, and anyone who saw 'Lara Croft: Tomb Raider' and then branded Jolie a 'terrible actress' should see this. Her performance alone is worth seeing this movie for - being an Angelina Jolie fan, you could accuse me of being biased, of course - but she is undeniably brilliant in this movie, bringing the screen to life with huge amounts of energy and emotion. Brittany Murphy is also superb in this movie, despite being slightly overlooked by the two lead characters.
Overall, Girl, Interrupted is a moving, inspirational drama. It's one of my favourite movies of all time, with one of my favourite performances from one of my favourite actresses. I recommend watching the movie with the director's commentary at least once - it's interesting and will provide you with lots of little-known information about the movie.

Girl, Interrupted [Australian Import]
Girl, Interrupted [Australian Import]
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 12 Jun 2005
This soundtrack is a definite must-have for any fans of the movie Girl, Interrupted - it sends shivers down my spine every time I listen to it. After purchasing this, I can now watch the movie and appreciate its breathtaking soundtrack a lot more than I could before - the music really adds to the beauty of the film and although you may not realize it at first, after buying this CD and listening to it I guarantee you will.
Like many others, it's not the 10 '60s tracks at the beginning that stand out for me - although they are most definitely worth listening to. Out of these tracks, I recommend the opening track, Wilco - How To Fight Lonliness (it's actually a song from the '90s, but it fits into the movie perfectly and is now a song I adore), The Chambers Brothers - Time Has Come Today (brilliant introduction - you'll recognize this song from the part of the movie where Susanna & Lisa have escaped from the mental institution and are at the party), and Petula Clark - Downtown (you'll definitely recognize this one - you could call it the 'theme tune' of the movie).
But as I said before, it's not those songs that make the Girl, Interrupted soundtrack so wonderful - it's tracks 11-29 - the original motion picture score by Mychael Danna. Each one of these tracks is beautifully composed and incredibly moving, even if you haven't seen the film. Tracks like 14 are dark and haunting, whereas tracks like 12 & 18 are uplifting. Track 18 in particular - 'The Tunnels' - brought a tear to my eye.
Overall, if you've seen Girl, Interrupted, this is definitely worth buying, as I guarantee you will love it. And if you haven't seen it...buy it anyway.