Profile for Tirana44 > Reviews

Diamond Select Star Trek Klingon Bird Of Prey
Diamond Select Star Trek Klingon Bird Of Prey
Offered by Collectors Kingdom

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm Blown Away!, 19 Jun 2014
That's the only way I can think of, to describe how impressed I was on opening the box of this beauty, a couple of days ago. This is my first Diamond Select model, and its one of my favourite ships too, it doesn't get much better than that. So many of the other customer reviews, have already pointed out all the good things on this Klingon Bird of Prey model, I don't think I can add much more to those. The overall detailing and finish is superb, the lighting is great, I particularly liked the fact that the various cabin windows are highlighted in a subtle yellow, making them distinctive from all the other lighting. I love the stand, it rounds of a lovely model. Don't miss this one, its worth every penny/cent.

London Buses Around Essex and Hertfordshire
London Buses Around Essex and Hertfordshire
by Kevin McCormack

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Memory Feast., 18 Jun 2014
I loved this book from cover to cover. I grew up in the Hertfordshire area of the Greenline bus network. The captions are very informative, and I liked the reference to some little highlights in the background of certain pictures. Overall, this book shows that author Kevin. McComak, knows his stuff. I'm by no means a 'bus buff' but as soon as I saw this book on Amazon, I just had to have it. My only mini gripe, and it is a minor one, is that one or two of the pictures had a bit of a red tinge to them, but don't let that put you off the book, its worth every penny!

ALBANIA ON MY MIND
ALBANIA ON MY MIND

5.0 out of 5 stars Albania on My Mind Too!, 18 May 2014
I did the exact same Regent Holidays' trip to Albania as Adam Yammey, although mine was in 1987. By this time, Enver Hoxha had passed away, and his designated successor Ramiz Alia, was at the helm. Despite that, it was still Enver Hoxha's portraits, both large and small, that adorned the buildings and squares all over the country. For myself, reading Adams book brought back some very pleasant memories, of a trip that due to the march of time, can no longer be made. Hoxha's Albania was not paradise for the majority of people who populated it, and who could never leave. Our tour group, like that of the author, also had many varied members within it, some I remember with affection, and those whom I have been pleased never to have seen again. Adam's work highlights the good and bad aspects of Socialist Albania, but also reminds readers, that not everything in Albania back then was bad, it wasn't. His in depth descriptions of his fellow travellers, reminded me very much of those on my own trip. Wether our Albturist guides were Sigurimi or not, I do knot know. I was lucky enough to be able to correspond with one of them on my trip. His name was Artan, who said that he worked at the Enver Hoxha University, where he was translating the works of Shakespeare into Albanian, it was he that enabled me to also visit Radio Tirana. His letters stopped coming at the time of the fall of the government, I've often wondered what became of him. One aspect of my own trip that I shall never forget, was our first night in Tirana. To be in the floodlit centre of a European capital in the late 80s, and to be able to virtually hear a pin drop due to lack of traffic, was truly bizarre.

If like the author and myself, you're 'into' Albania, don't pass this volume by. Its a wonderfully written travelogue, but the reader should always bare in mind, the deplorable human rights record of those who ruled the country, and the legacy it has left.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2014 8:09 AM BST

The Invaders: A Quinn Martin TV Series(Revised Edition)
The Invaders: A Quinn Martin TV Series(Revised Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than Worth the Search!, 2 May 2014
My all time favourite TV sci fi series. There is so very little around about the show, over here in the UK. This book is a real treasure for any of us interested in how The Invaders came to be, and about those who made the series happen. I had been looking for a book on the series, for a very long time, combing charity shops, and rummage sales, just in case a book such as this, had 'slipped under my radar' Well, one hadn't, but thank goodness this volume didn't either. I had no idea, just how much Roy Thinnes was committed to the show, and via attending conventions etc, still is. The information in this book is just amazing, and very well put together. I was 10 years old when the series first aired in the UK. Those Invaders used to scare me silly, even their space craft, was the most sinister looking design I've ever seen, and IMO, set the benchmark for TV flying saucers. Dominic Frontiere's theme only added to the uneasy atmosphere. I have the model of the flying saucer, set in a desert scrubland diorama, which takes pride of place in my study. Michael Rennie, and Alfred Rider were both excellently cast as alien leadership figures. Also fascinating to read, was what went on behind the scenes, between Mssrs Martin, Cohen and Thinnes. And it gets better, along with some rarely (if ever) seen photos you're also treated to an episode guide, and synopsis, along with cast lists and details. I really can't praise this book enough, and it's obviously a labour of love by author James Rosin. If you're a die hard fan of The Invaders, or indeed enjoy the genre in general, don't miss this masterpiece. Now remember to keep a look out for those crooked little fingers, or those spinning crystals, you just never know where they may show up!

Tupolev Tu-104: Aeroflot's First Jetliner (Red Star)
Tupolev Tu-104: Aeroflot's First Jetliner (Red Star)
by Yefim Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Soviet Pioneer., 2 May 2014
I am a great fan of the airliners of the old Soviet Union. The Tu104, was the USSR's first jet powered airliner, and was, for a period of time, the only jetliner in the world, providing sustained passenger jet service. The author Yefim Gordon, is a well respected author of many books, covering both civil and military aircraft of the USSR. I found the text very informative and well written, detailing the different variants of the aircraft, which was derived from the Tu16 jet bomber. The copious amount of photographs, some never seen before in 'The West' make this book a must have for anyone with an interest in this subject.

Triangular UFOs: An Estimate of the Situation
Triangular UFOs: An Estimate of the Situation

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Amazing!, 30 April 2014
A well written book, on an unusual subject. No flying saucers or little green men here. I've always had an interest in the UFO phenomenon, and these Black Triangles, are certainly an enigma. David Marler, in a well written volume, attempts to answer the many questions about these craft, and the theory that they could be either extra terrestrial vehicles, or indeed, 'home grown'. With the inclusion of many detailed witness reports from around the globe, and with expert opinions by some very qualified people about these craft, this a book not to be missed, one of the strangest facet of the UFO phenomenon, I've ever read about.

DDR in Color: Ost-Berlin 1960-1989
DDR in Color: Ost-Berlin 1960-1989
by Klaus Morgenstern
Edition: Perfect Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A DDR Not Many May Have Seen, 7 April 2014
Yes folks, people in the DDR, GDR or less flatteringly, East Germany, lived daily lives, much as we did in The West. Enjoying and loving their families, enjoying sports, taking a beer with friends, watching TV, shopping, and so on. The very big difference, is that these citizens were doing all these things, living under one of the most oppressive regimes in modern history, although not every citizen thought so, and I understand that there is still some nostalgia for the certain positive aspects of life in the GDR, yes, there were a few! These wonderful pictures in Klaus Morgenstern's book, capture just such everyday life pictures, that due to politics of the time, were largely unseen by western eyes, during the years of The Cold War. Thanks to Klaus, these little snapshots remind us, that despite 'that Wall' we all had much in common, with our neighbours to the East. I visited the GDR a few times in the 80s, and was I was always treated warmly, and made to feel like an old friend, even by complete strangers. If you have any interest in the GDR, or Eastern Europe, then this is a must read. The little captions accompanying each picture, are informative, with no mention of politics.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 20, 2014 11:35 AM BST

The Berlin Wall and the Intra-German Border 1961-89: The Inner-German Border 1961-89 (Fortress)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cold War 'Icon', 22 Mar 2014
I hasten to add, that I use the time 'icon' loosely. Ask anyone which aspect of the Cold War springs to mind first, and it'll usually be the Berlin Wall. If I can leave the political thing to one side, this book goes into the mechanics of the wall itself, and of the procedures and people involved with the initial building of it, and thereafter, it's upgrading with the passage of time. I visited the old DDR twice in my travels, and seeing that wall up close and personal, was quite an intimidating experience. I did not realise that there were substantial differences between the Inter German Border, which separated the FRG and DDR, and the wall which dissected, and surrounded the city of Berlin itself. The book goes into the intricacies of the various systems used along the wall itself, trip sensors, types of watchtowers used, as well as the different tasks allotted to the different ranks of the border guard personnel. Copiously illustrated, with many fascinating diagrams, and illustrations of the monster itself. Very interesting mention, of what the wall may have evolved into, had the fall of the wall not occurred in 1989. Well fortunately, the fall did come, and the lives of very many people were transformed. The Wall itself, as well as the personalities who spawned it, are now consigned to the dustbin of history, as they should be. This is a fascinating book for anyone with more than a passing interest in the Cold War era, but it should always be foremost in the mind of the reader, that The Wall was one of the most vivid examples, of mans inhumanity to man.

The Lost World of Communism
The Lost World of Communism

5.0 out of 5 stars The Other Europe, 8 Mar 2014
I found this a fascinating, and well written read. I travelled to many places in Central and Eastern Europe, during the late seventies, and throughout the eighties, so I was really looking forward to reading this book. I was not disappointed, and I think that anyone with more than a passing interest in this subject, will enjoy it too. Its was easy to forget during the days of the Cold War, that behind The Iron Curtain, there were fellow Europeans living ordinary lives, just as we were in The West. One of the contributors from East Germany remarks that he finds it very sad, that most people today, think that there was nothing more to East Germany than the Stasi. This book illustrates very well, that there was a great deal more to these countries than barbed wire, secret police, and fake cola. I highly recommend this volume.

North Korea Through Photographs: With a special section on Dandong, China
North Korea Through Photographs: With a special section on Dandong, China

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Pictures, 6 Mar 2014
I visited North Korea back in the mid 80s. I'm not really sure what I expected of this book, maybe a little too much. The photographs are nicely done, with the minimum of text. I do have other books on North Korea, but all cost a fair bit more than this volume did, and are far more comprehensive. If you've never been to North Korea, this book will give you a little taste of what to expect, should you ever get up the courage to visit the place, and I recommend you do!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4