Profile for H. Jadwani > Reviews

Content by H. Jadwani

H. Jadwani "Harinder Jadwani" (Brampton, Ontario Canada)

Mahler: Symphonies 1-10; Totenfeier; Das Lied Von Der Erde (Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra) [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Mahler
Price: 80.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine set that worked on my Bluray player in Canada, 5 July 2013
I only want to address the issue reported by a couple of reviewers - that this set does not play in North America. I had concerns that this set would not play on my Pioneer BD-51 bluray player in Canada. I only had one bad experience prior to this - the Quantum of Solace bluray from the Bond set would not play. I am happy to say that all the discs I have played so far - symphonies 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, and 9, have all played flawlessly and immediately without any problems. Perhaps the reviewers who reported problems need to update the firmware on their players - I am not sure. But these supposedly Region 2 coded blurays played perfectly in my Region 1 NTSC player.

I will leave the other qualities of the set for others to comment on. The ones I heard seemed fine. At the price the set is a bargain. One aspect of the set needs mention though. Unlike most other Blurays and even DVDs of live performances which are brilliantly lit, these performances appear to be recorded without any added lighting, as you can clearly see the darkness of the hall and even the conductor and orchestra are not as 'spot-lit' as they traditionally are in other performances, such as the Chaiily or the Abbado versions. It is regrettable the production values are minimal, with no booklet accompanying the discs and no subtitling for the vocal pieces. But this is more irritating than scandalous. And yes the box is flimsy.

Stanley Kubrick: Visionary Filmmaker Collection [Blu-ray] [1962] [Region Free]
Stanley Kubrick: Visionary Filmmaker Collection [Blu-ray] [1962] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Malcolm McDowell
Price: 30.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bargain but flawed, 19 Nov 2012
You can't argue with the price. At less than thirty quid you have many of the great movies made by Kubrick.

Two caveats:

1. The video quality is only slightly better than the dvd set. On a 50-inch Kuro plasma the difference is minimal, but on a larger TV or a projected screen the difference may be more appreciable.

2. Audio is better with more detail, definition and spaciousness.

3. The more egregious problem for me is that several of the movies are shorter than the version in the US versions (Kubrick collection dvd). These are the British versions which are shorter.
The worst is The Shining which in this set only has 119 minutes versus 142 minutes of the US version. 2001, Eyes Wide Shut and Clockwork Orange have no cuts, but Lolita is 147 mns versus 153 in the us version dvd, barry Lyndon is 178 vs 183 on the dvd, and Full Metal jacket is 112 vs 116 minutes on the dvd.

There are those who criticise The Shining for being too slow and long and they would prefer the bluray version here. For me it was jarring as entire scenes are cut or missing....
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2012 6:46 PM GMT

Beethoven: Missa Solemnis [Blu-ray] [2011]
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis [Blu-ray] [2011]
Dvd ~ Elina Garanca
Price: 29.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb in every way!, 26 Mar 2011
Having heard Klemperer, Harnoncourt and other versions of the Missa, this superlative rendering in pristine video and audio satisfies in every way...... every note sounds just right and the music is touching, as spiritually inspired as any.

Beethoven: Symphonies 7-9 [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Beethoven: Symphonies 7-9 [Blu-ray] [2011] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ A. Dasch
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 18.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, wonderful performances..., 13 Feb 2011
This review is based only on the performances as I have not yet seen the supplementary material. When I first started to watch/hear this bluray I was disappointed as the tempos seemed slow, very different from the energetic ones that recent `authentic' instrument versions have provided us. And Theilemann's presence on the podium lacked charisma and his manner is stodgy and eccentric compared to the aristocratic ease of Karajan or the electric energy and `sex appeal' of Carlos Kleiber.

I was reminded of Otto Klemperer's ponderous tempos and also his comment to a frustrated record producer named Walter Legge that he (Legge) would soon get used to the tempos. Within minutes of this disc, I `got used' to Thielemann's tempos, and though the sound he produces is not like Klemperer's (who had a different orchestra and a unique way with clarinets) it is very satisfying. I have the laserdisc of Kleiber's 4th and 7th symphonies and I find Thielemann's 7th to be as satisfying in its own way. He is slower in the first two movements but speeds up in the last 2. A tempo speedup in the middle of the final movement of the Choral Symphony also surprises but all in all, these performances in crystal clear image and sound, are so good, I have ordered the other 2 blu-rays with the remaining symphonies as well.

The 9th symphony is rendered as magnificently as I have ever heard, with every movement given its due - unlike many others which excel in this or that movement but don't provide a consistent whole. With this bluray, I was unable to 'fast forward' to the next movement - compelled to let the music flow, and this was true of all the symphonies. I have plenty of Beethoven sets - Harnoncourt, Gardiner, Abbado, Zinman, Karajan '62 and '77, Vanska on SACD, Klemperer, Schmidt-Isserstedt, Masur, Bernstein on LP, Haitink on Concertgebouw and LSO Live sacd, etc., and this bluray is as good as any of them.

I don't think I could listen to any period-instrument set after this, except the Harnoncourt which has unique delights.