Profile for Oceana Patron > Reviews

Content by Oceana Patron

Oceana Patron

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad first effort, but hit and miss in parts, 28 May 2013
This review is from: 180 (Audio CD)
I became interested in Palma Violets after seeing a video of the explosive single Best Of Friends being performed on Jools Holland, a great anthemic Indie song with huge, shouty singalong lyrics, and hearing the strange, slightly unconventional Last Of The Summer Wine, which spends most of it's playtime building itself up with it's long intro, only to end with an abrupt crescendo shortly after the song kicks in. I liked what I'd heard, and after seeing constant references to The Libertines, and reading about the band's DIY ethos, I thought that maybe there would be a guitar band to emerge that would take the UK by storm, finally, after the guitar scene's years in the post Arctic Monkeys wilderness offered little besides The Courteeners and The Vaccines.

Upon hearing their debut album 180, the sound of a new musical revolution is not the sound which comes to my ears. In the case of a number of the songs, the band sound like they're playing a decent riff they've thought up but then about halfway through playing, they aren't sure where they're going to go with it so they just go off on a tangent and improvise, hoping for the best. A lot of the songs don't have any "wow!" factor or hooks, they're just...there. There's also the factor of this hardly being something we haven't heard before: A Garage Rock type band that thrashes out a few simple chords.

That said, the album isn't the worst debut record to come out. We Found Love is a nice, melodic baggy-esque number with a good chorus and pleasant guitar parts. Chicken Dippers makes cool use of the slow-quiet/fast-loud dynamic and I can imagine it being a live favourite. You can feel the energy when you hear Johnny Bagga Donuts. I can also admire the stripped back, lo-fi production, which makes the album sound like you're listening to a live record, a refreshing change to all these Indie bands who have emerged the past couple of years, drenched in reverb and horribly overproduced. So the album isn't quite what I'd call a disappointment, and overall it is a solid record with it's moments of strength, just not an incredible, mindblowing one which makes me want to start a band and join in with the Palma Violets revolution.

To be fair to the Palma Violets, they're a group of young lads, aged about nineteen or twenty, who have only been in a band for a year or two. To write them off because their debut isn't as gripping or exciting as the British classics such as Definitely Maybe, The Stone Roses, Generation Terrorists, Up The Bracket or Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, which has happened to a few bands sadly, is ludicrous. Give them time, and who knows what may happen? They definitely sound like they have potential and the right ideas, and could end up becoming huge down the road. Best of luck to them, and I hope they keep on doing what they're doing!

Nevermind
Nevermind
Offered by Factory Shop Deals

1.0 out of 5 stars This is what American music was like 20 years ago?, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
As the title says, is this really what American music was like 20 years ago? If so, it has come a long, long way, from releasing uninspiring dirge like this to the modern day greats like Nicki Minaj, Chris Brown and Katy Perry.

Whilst those people sing about the good times like dancing in the clubs, and making love to someone, and dancing in the clubs again, Nirvana just wrote really depressing music. The only bands that really care about them nowadays are the sad emo groups who are even less relevant. I mean, the likes of Brown, Minaj, et al, get played regularly in places like Oceana, Halo and Walkabout, which are all top nights out, but does Nirvana? No. And thankfully not. When I'm out on the lash with my fellow Uni lads, this isn't what I want the soundtrack to our epic banter to be. You just can't dance foolishly whilst shouting your in-jokes to music like this?

Guitar music on the whole is a dead scene, and thankfully Nirvana were one of the last popular acts. If it wasn't, we'd be left with more angsty, shouty music without cool autotuned robotic sounding effects for us to endure. And I certainly don't want that.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 6, 2013 9:13 PM GMT

Handwritten
Handwritten

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't see the fuss, 21 Sep 2012
This review is from: Handwritten (Audio CD)
Firstly, I'm not a massive fan of rock music anyway, it doesn't have the amazing autotune sounds that the likes of Tinie Tempah, Drake, Chris Brown or any musical prodigy they play at my student nights. However, I am quite into the guitar rock sounds of Indie artists like Ed Sheeran and The Vaccines, so I thought I'd give this album a listen.

Overrated. It's a bunch of American guys singing about American stuff. And not the good stuff either. Where's the songs about going to the club? Where's the songs about dancing with a girl and getting laid? I mean, the singer doesn't even have that cool robotic sound effect on his voice, like so many succesful modern musicians do.

1/5. I should have saved my money on a new pair of Chinos or Obey tee.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 5:10 PM GMT