Profile for Stella > Reviews

(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Pinzon Heather Jersey, Violet, King Fitted Sheet
Pinzon Heather Jersey, Violet, King Fitted Sheet

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice and I'll be getting the quilt cover to match as it's such good quality..., 15 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a lovely fitted sheet this is! The colour, the feel...even the packaging. It arrives in it's own little drawstring bag which is made of the same fabric as the sheet and helps keep it all neat in the underbed linen drawer. It's a nice touch.

I used to like sleeping on flannelette sheets when I was little but haven't seen any for a lot of years now (do they still make them?) and sleeping on this was very similar. It feels nice and cosy compared to regular cotton sheets. Fits our kingsize mattress perfectly and because it's stretchy there's no wrinkles and/or creases so no need to iron before putting it on, it just fits like a glove.

I have it in the violet and it's such a lovely colour and very true to the product photo on my monitor. It has a sort of variegated, heathery look to it and is quite muted but vibrant at the same time.

Very nice and I'll be getting the quilt cover to match as it's such good quality. Competitively priced and I'd heartily recommend,

Mr. Goodlad Worker Complete, 15 Kg
Mr. Goodlad Worker Complete, 15 Kg

5.0 out of 5 stars Judging by how quickly the bowl was cleared I'd say it must be pretty tasty..., 8 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
To be honest, aside from the shape all kibble type dog food looks pretty much equal to me. Some smell better than others but mostly they're all much of a sameness. I don't know how this differs from others we've tried but it smells quite a bit nicer and judging by how quickly the bowl was cleared I'd say it tastes pretty good too.

15kg is a huge bag and will last a while as we mix it in with meat and gravy and considering the price I think this is brilliant value for money. Not a scrap left in the bowl and an optimistic face looking up at me hopefully for more. The only downside is that it is sold in unsealable packaging so there's a need to decant it all into an airtight container. It's not alone in that regard and I find that most other dry food is the same package-wise but I just wish more high volume animal food came as standard with a means to seal the bag once opened. I use these containers PET FOOD STORAGE CONTAINER BLACK. HOLDS 15.5KG. GREEN LID. RUBBER AIRTIGHT SEAL. and they hold 15kg comfortably but it all depends on the kibble size and I'd much rather be able to store it in it's original packaging so I have the use by dates handy to check.

Bottom line is that it appears to be really tasty and is very competitively priced.

NOCO Genius Boost UltraSafe GB30 Jump Starter 12 V Lithium
NOCO Genius Boost UltraSafe GB30 Jump Starter 12 V Lithium

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little device..., 7 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This thing is fancy! Very easy to get it charged up via the usb charger and the documentation says the charge should last a year. Sounds good, just charge up the charger, pop it in the car and you're covered for the next year in case you have to deal with battery problems.

Nothing is left to chance and it really seems to be idiot proof. The manual makes it seem a bit daunting (once you've found someone with good eyesight to come and read it for you - why is the print is so tiny?) but really it's very intuitive to operate and not scary at all. I've always been a bit leery of jump leads and worry about putting them on the wrong bits but with this one I can do it myself without fear of breaking something as the safety feature won't allow the unit to operate unless the leads are on the right bits. If you stick them on the wrong way round you just get an error message until you fix it. Gone are the days when I'd have to rely on finding someone who knows what they're doing. Now I'm the one who knows what they're doing!

I know next to nothing about car maintenance but at least with this I'm confident I can get myself out of trouble if I go out one morning and find I've left my lights on all night.

I'd say this is definitely worth getting. It cuts out the Middle-Man needed to help jump a battery. Everything needed is in this compact little device - the means to jump start the car without using another car to supply the power, the light feature to see what I'm doing if it's dark when I'm boosting the battery (and/or to alert others that help is needed via the SOS function) and the safety features that will ensure I don't electrocute myself when I'm trying out my newly acquired car maintenance skills at the roadside.. If I ever find myself with a dead battery on a dark road at night I won't have to wave down some random stranger and rely on them to know what to do.

I'm not sure I'll ever need it to charge my kindle and/or phone from it but it's nice to have the option and not need it than need it and not have it.

Would have been nice to have a bag or pouch or something to keep it all in rather than just have it lying around in the boot but that's just a small gripe.

Philips HR1863/01 Viva Collection Juicer, 2 Litre, 700 Watt, Brushed Aluminium
Philips HR1863/01 Viva Collection Juicer, 2 Litre, 700 Watt, Brushed Aluminium

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, fast and pretty to look at..., 5 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Philips HR1863/01 is a very nice mid range juicer and packs quite a punch despite it's small footprint. It's small enough to not take up much cupboard room but is pretty enough to leave out on the counter if you have space for it.

I make juice most mornings and I like that this takes next to no time to juice the fruit and veg and is also equally fast to clean. The blurb says it takes a minute to clean and that's pretty close to the mark. It all dismantles really easily, the dry pulp is collected in the bottom layer and a quick rinse in the sink and it's ready to go again. A couple of minutes to empty and wash, it's just too easy. .

I like experimenting with my morning juices and aside from the usual exceptions (banana's, figs etc. - all the pulpy fruits) it'll handle most things. I like to make a mix of fruit and vegetable juice and it all whizzes through no problem. Apple and celery, strawberry cucumber and melon, broccoli and pear, carrot and pineapple...it's all juiced perfectly with this one and there's so little waste that no matter how wet the fruit and veg is the pulp that's left is very dry.

It's not the quietest juicer I've ever used but it's far from the noisiest and for all the time it takes to make a jug of juice it's not a problem. The only thing that lets is down is the lack of a drip tray or a feature to stop it dripping when the jug is removed. It's best to have an empty glass on standby to catch the excess when the jug is taken away as there's quite a bit of residual dripping. Apart from that I really like the juicer. Easy, fast and pretty to look at and it makes great juice. I'd recommend.

Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity with Sleep Wristband - Black, Small
Fitbit Charge Wireless Activity with Sleep Wristband - Black, Small

3.0 out of 5 stars You'll miss out on a lot of the functions if your phone has less than an Android 4.3 OS..., 5 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have this in the small size and although it suggests fitting up to a 6.7 inch wrist I can wear it on my 7 inch wrist quite comfortably. I have to use the very last hole on a single peg but it isn't too tight that way and still has enough room to get a finger between and feels secure. This size is probably best suited to a child or very slight woman though.

It comes with a dongle to set it all up via a pc and it's very easy to do and takes about 15-20 mins. It's all pretty straightforward. The instructions and setup are all web based though so you'll need to be near a desktop or laptop etc when you first use it.

It comfortable to wear and not obtrusive for everyday use and the display is nice and bright. It just looks like a matt black band until you press the button to see your stats and then the digits light up nice and bright. It doesn't take long to work out the features on the website dashboard and I've found the stats give pretty accurate results.

There are some vexing problems with it though. Firstly, it's aimed at an American market I think as all dates are in US form which is annoying when trying to set it up. The food database doesn't have a UK option which is puzzling as it has several other countries listed including France and a couple of Chinese databases. Everything is set to default to the US for foods, timezone etc. I do already use the MyFitnessPal app which is compatible with the Fitbit app but I'd much prefer to have it all contained in the same app.

My biggest gripe with this though is that although my phone is listed as compatible both on the website and during the set up process, not all of the Fitbit Charge features will work with my phone. Bluetooth Low Energy is the key to getting everything working properly and although I have bluetooth enabled on my phone I am missing lots of menu options in the app itself which appears to be due to my phone's operating system as it doesn't support BLE. Nowhere in the product description does it mention which OS is needed nor mention made of BLE but after struggling to work out why I was having problems syncing, missing caller notifications and getting the food database etc to work I had to dig deep at the website and found the following:-

" There are some general rules of thumb you can follow to determine if your handset may support BLE:

OS below v4.3: Most handsets running an OS version below 4.3 do NOT support Bluetooth Low Energy
OS v4.3 or above: Many handsets running an OS version of 4.3 or higher do support Bluetooth Low Energy

Fitbit syncing happens over "Bluetooth Low Energy," which is an optional (non-required) part of Bluetooth 4.0. Not all phones with Bluetooth 4.0 include Bluetooth Low Energy, but if your phone doesn't support Bluetooth 4.0, it definitely doesn't support Bluetooth Low Energy.

Bluetooth Low Energy is also referred to as "Bluetooth LE", "BLE", "Bluetooth Smart", or "Bluetooth Smart Ready"; for more information see the wikipedia page.

To support Fitbit tracker syncing, an Android device must have both a BLE radio and software support in the operating system that allows third-party apps to use it. Some devices have the hardware but not the software. Other devices have both, but the software support may have bugs that prevent it from working "

It won't sync properly with the app if you have anything lower than a 4.3 OS (for Android). I've only had my phone a few months and it has 4.2.2. Nowhere was the need for a specific OS made clear until I started trawling the internet for help and as a result I'm unable to customise the app to use all the functions. The caller notification display doesn't work as the tracker won't sync with my phone, the food database via MyFitnessPal won't sync with the Fitbit app and the only way I can update my stats on the dashboard is by forcing a sync via the PC. This is going to lower the usefulness of the Charge for me.

The sleep monitoring is a nice function but again, it won't work to sync to the app automatically and the laptop has to be on and nearby to download the data when I wake up instead of just viewing via the phone app. I could go on but mostly it's all quite disappointing.

If/when I ever update to a top of the range phone that has access to BLE I imagine this will be everything I'd hoped for but with less than the required OS on my current phone I'm only able to access a few of the functions. I wish this requirement had been mentioned somewhere on the product description.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2014 3:20 PM GMT

Zyliss Acid Etched Rotary Fine and Coarse Drum Grater
Zyliss Acid Etched Rotary Fine and Coarse Drum Grater
Offered by Lakeland

4.0 out of 5 stars Can whizz though cheeses no problem..., 3 Dec 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm used to a box grater and like it's simplicity but it's not very exciting to look at and the one I own is a little hard to hold still while grating so I was keen to try this out.

This one beats my old grater hands down in the looks department and is so much easier to hold and control. I like that I have the option to choose the coarseness setting and it's very easy and straightforward to use. It's devilishly sharp, which is great for grating but not so great if you catch a finger on it while cleaning. I have a washing up brush which is good to get into the holes and I'm glad of it because I learned the hard way not to try and clean it without one. It's very sharp.

Softer cheeses can get things clagged up a bit and it has to be done a little at a time but it gets there in the end. Harder cheeses like Parmesan are a pleasure to grate though. My old grater didn't handle those very well so for that reason alone this is a winner for me. I was sick of having to buy the ready made stuff.

It's a very nice grater that looks prettier than my old one and can whizz though cheeses no problem.

Holzhaus 480 mL Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Drinking Flask Hydration Bottle Travel Tumbler
Offered by Avantek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight but solidly made..., 29 Nov 2014
What a lovely looking flask this is, it's much nicer than it looks in the photo (and it looks pretty nice in the photo). It's lightweight but solidly made and has a very nice brushed matt finish in charcoal grey.

I'm a cyclist and this is the perfect size to carry on the bike, it's just what I've been looking for. I carry a hydration pack on my back so my water bottle holder on the frame isn't used and this fits it perfectly, it's like it was made for it. The flask isn't for water though, it's for hot chocolate. On weekend bike rides in this colder weather it's nice to stop and have something warm at the half way point and soup would work just as well but I have a sweet tooth so hot chocolate it is. Four hours after filling it the chocolate was still piping hot. The lid doubles as a cup and it's probably fine for water breaks but I have a folding cup that I carry with me and like that better for hot beverages.

The construction makes it feel robust and there's no glass inside as you'd find with older flasks so any knocks or accidents won't shatter anything inside. There's no leakage and the seals are airtight. Comes with a handy carry strap so it can also be hung from a backpack, etc. or can be used in bike bottle clips/holders. Very easy to clean out as the neck is quite wide and all in all just a really nice product.

I like it a lot and will get lots of use out of it. I can't fault it. Very competitively priced and I'd happily recommend it.

I was sent a complimentary product by the supplier.

Ispeed 70 oz Sport Hydration Pack (Sport Raspberry)
Ispeed 70 oz Sport Hydration Pack (Sport Raspberry)
Offered by New New Inc LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice hydration pack to wear and use..., 27 Nov 2014
I got this in the raspberry colour and it's a really nice, bright Barbie pink. Aside from the bright pink there is also a good portion of the pack which is reflective (the grey part) which is great for using at night or in low light conditions.

The pack would work well for hiking, walking, running etc but I use mine for cycling and it's been great so far. Nice and easy to fill and comfortable to wear it's just an all round nice hydration pack to wear and use.

The shoulder straps have a sort of rubbery feel and don't slip off the shoulders which is very handy and also have mesh sections which is much better than a solid strap as there is no pressure on the shoulders whilst still being quite robust.

Even when full of water there's still a little room inside the pack for maps, keys, spare gloves, power bars etc so it's very handy for Sportives when I don't want a lot of excess baggage but still need to carry the essentials all in one place

I've very happy with it. It's easy to fill and use, it's comfortable to wear, it looks lovely and most importantly it's very well made. My old pack which cost twice as much as this one came apart at the seams (literally) the first time I used it but his one still looks as good as new after a few weeks use.

The only thing that's missing that I would like to have seen is a chest strap. It's not a big deal as the pack still feels secure without it but I like the added stability that a chest strap gives.

All in all a great pack and one I'd recommend.

I was sent this complimentary product by the supplier.

Bolse® 300Mbps Wireless-N USB Network Adapters - Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8; Mac OS X 10.5 Greater; 2.4G 802.11ngb 32-Bit and 64-Bit Compatible For Laptop, Desktop Computer
Offered by T.M. Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, stylish and very handy..., 27 Nov 2014
I've had a few Bolse products and they're always well made and efficient. This wireless USB adapter from them is no different and is a brilliant little thing. It extends the range of a wireless connection and is an absolute boon in this house which is over four levels and some devices situated quite a distance from the router.

Very easy to set up, it's basically just a plug n' play, and after setting up the wireless network settings you're good to go. It's very easy.

Small, stylish and very handy if you find yourself dropping connection regularly due to weak wifi over distance. Highly recommend this.

I was sent a complimentary product by the supplier.

Me to You Tiny Tatty Teddy Gift Set for a Baby Boy
Me to You Tiny Tatty Teddy Gift Set for a Baby Boy

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all lovely, as are most Me To You products..., 26 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
All of the products here are really lovely. The soft toy bear part of the set is so soft and snuggly with the added bonus that it unfolds into a little blanky too. Then we have the little clip on pram toy, photo album, keepsake book and the box to hold the birth certificate. It's all lovely, as are most Me To You products, but a Gift Set to me suggests all the products are packaged as a set and that isn't the case here. As a whole it's a lovely collection of Tatty Teddy products that are suitable for a baby boy but that's really all they are...a collection of products. They're not neatly packaged in a gift box or wrapped together, they're just loose in a brown box.

Considering the asking price for this I would have expected some nice packaging to keep all the items together but as it stands it's just a loose mix of items. Nice items, granted, but not really a 'Gift set' to my mind.

You could probably pick up the items individually and make up a set yourself for less but as it stands these are just cute items which are suitable for a little boy, albeit expensive considering the lack of packaging.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20